Beginner I realise I'll get flamed for wanting to aquire yet another camera but...

As for the D50, I managed to get it to work and took some shots last Friday, which I may upload sometime this week.

So I closed the return request on eBay (which the seller's actually responded to this morning, he says he's been abroad and not seen my messages)

Not being a racist?

What did he get suspended for??
All I'll say is doing something that he had been warned against 3 times, twice by me and once by T'other Chris.
He was fully aware of what would happen if he did it again.

Just read his last posts, the mods warning is there for all to see.
And there are some private ones that you can't see :)

I also saw some rather sexist comments he made. Would have been heard in a mens locker room in the 70s, but totally inappropriate today.

I also saw some rather sexist comments he made. Would have been heard in a mens locker room in the 70s, but totally inappropriate today.
Realise even more so now just how unpleasant those sorts of comments are.
Daresay some people still think its ok, thankfully not that many these days.

Last edited:
Where? I don't have access to the OOF area of the forum so if it was there then that's why I cannot see it.
It was in the OOF, mid-February. Something to do with a bucket list, if I recall.

It was in the OOF, mid-February. Something to do with a bucket list, if I recall.
And certain female cast members of certain (mostly) soaps ...

Last edited:
I don't know where your based Richard but it might be worth checking out evening classes or local community centres for photography classes or clubs, theres often local free courses running (or there was before covid).
Can someone clarify is it the body or lens thats playing up? I haven't read all the threads, if it's the lens would it not be cheaper to buy a used kit lens for the D50?
I suspect I'm missing a lot of this story....

I suspect I'm missing a lot of this story....
It's all sorted now, He's had loads of help from people on here, both privately and openly, once he turned the camera on, it worked fine :)

And always ask if someone you don't know gets into frame if it's OK to take their photo, I remember several years ago I was on a Photography course and was taking pics outside the Cathedral at the Tram stop, this old bloke got in the shot and turned nasty, threatened to stuff the camera up my arse.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but taking photos in a public space, even of people, is entirely legal- afaik even paparazzi stuff is within the law

where as making any kind of threat to someone, or touching their stuff, is very illegal

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but taking photos in a public space, even of people, is entirely legal- afaik even paparazzi stuff is within the law

where as making any kind of threat to someone, or touching their stuff, is very illegal
Correct, though I believe it is possible to be guilty of harassment if repeatedly ignoring requests to desist.
Also not all places to which the public have access are "public places", e.g. Shopping Centres, National Trust Properties, Ticketed Events ... are not "Public Places".

It's all sorted now, He's had loads of help from people on here, both privately and openly, once he turned the camera on, it worked fine :)
I swear we had the camera turned on with out tutorial, as we repeatedly tried that but it did the whole FEE thing..

I swear we had the camera turned on with out tutorial, as we repeatedly tried that but it did the whole FEE thing..
Yes, he wouldn’t get any message with the camera switched off. Probably best to give him space to sort it himself now …

Correct, though I believe it is possible to be guilty of harassment if repeatedly ignoring requests to desist.
Also not all places to which the public have access are "public places", e.g. Shopping Centres, National Trust Properties, Ticketed Events ... are not "Public Places".
Just to clarify, Public place” includes any highway and any other premises or place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted to have access, whether on payment or otherwise ”

So all those places can be public places during opening hours

Its always best to try and get it right in camera though. I think with a couple of weeks of practise you should be able to get some nice photos that doesn't require hours of photoshoppery to get right.
I’ll be blunt.
Correctly lighting a photo is a lot easier and quicker than fixing a badly lit image.

There’s a movement of young people who haven’t got a clue about ‘photography’ but have some extraordinary photoshop skills. Please don’t assume that this is either normal or indeed a sensible option.

Just to clarify, Public place” includes any highway and any other premises or place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted to have access, whether on payment or otherwise ”

That is just wrong!

Fair few places in Docklands that the security guards would be all over you like a rash if you tried it.

Try taking photos in a shopping centre and see what happens....
Depends on how you do it and which shopping centre in my experience. I was questioned by security in one and allowed to carry on. In another I've never had a problem - I just take shots quickly and keep away from people with walkie talkies.

It won't go well....

I always liked taking pictures of people but now I generally restrict myself to inanimate objects, landscapes, animals et al. as the risk of personal assault, abuse and the general mistrust of people with actual cameras as too much. Weirdly, folk getting their phones out to take pictures of people are often the ones who are untrustworthy by trying to be first to get some unfortunate incident onto their Instagram account. As a member of the public, I'd be happier if someone took my picture without my permission if they were using a proper camera but would be deeply suspicious if someone came at me with a phone camera.

One of the reasons I bought my Fuji X100V was because it was silent, had a swivel screen and of course could be set to interval timing so setting going while apparently not even looking at it gives one some very good candids without any of the risk. The fact that in it's black and silver livery it looks like an old film camera helps too.

Last edited:

Even if that was true, and I'm pretty certain it isn't, owners of 'private' properties have the right to ask people to leave. So go ahead and take photos, and be asked to leave.

I always liked taking pictures of people but now I generally restrict myself to inanimate objects, landscapes, animals et al. as the risk of personal assault, abuse and the general mistrust of people with actual cameras as too much. Weirdly, folk getting their phones out to take pictures of people are often the ones who are untrustworthy by trying to be first to get some unfortunate incident onto their Instagram account. As a member of the public, I'd be happier if someone took my picture without my permission if they were using a proper camera but would be deeply suspicious if someone came at me with a phone camera.

One of the reasons I bought my Fuji X100V was because it was silent, had a swivel screen and of course could be set to interval timing so setting going while apparently not even looking at it gives one some very good candids without any of the risk. The fact that in it's black and silver livery it looks like an old film camera helps too.

I remember taking a picture of the Bells bridge in Glasgow and getting accused of having a "P****" camera.

Glasgow is about as hostile as a place can be - but yes the sentiment is there. Taking that thing into the St Enoch Centre etc - you're leaving with a beating for sure.

Back