Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
... Sky at Nights photo of the month...

:1st::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Click for the full size image.

It's a 93 pane mosaic of the moon, shot at a focal length of 2600mm (with a telescope version of a mirror lens), using a camera with a crop factor of 8.5x. Each pane is made up of 300 from 350 frames of avi captured at about 25-30 fps (I think, trying to pull the info from the recesses of my memory, I did this one in January ;)), then combined in iMerge (by hand) and tweaked in gimp.

Well Done! Cracking photo of the moon! And sounds a complicated thing to piece together.

Carl.

Cracking moon pic.I like photographing the moon myself.But in my case it means just pointing a 400mm lens and taking the shot.Your way sounds too complicated for me.Well done.

That's a cracker, well done - well deserved win

thats fantastic.. You win a prize.

It's a fake the shadows are all wrong....

Seriously it's a fantastic shot, I have been thinking of trying to capture some good shots of the moon myself, don't think I'll bother now.

Why am I not surprised that you've won (y)

Congratulations :clap:, rightfully deserved too.

I got lost reading how it was done! Very nice shot though.

:plus1:

that's a beautiful picture

:clap: Nice one John! Like others have said - great shot and no wonder that you won!

:clap: (y)

Well done you!! :clap:

Thoroughly deserved!

That's rubbish........... My point & shoot could do better......

What an amazing picture....I absolutely love this...Spot on John.... And a very worthy winner...Well done

You must have the patience of a saint John. It's a cracking shot and a very worthy winner (y)

Congratulations John. A well deserved win!

Ian.

Thanks very much Everyone (y)

Cracking moon pic.I like photographing the moon myself.But in my case it means just pointing a 400mm lens and taking the shot.Your way sounds too complicated for me.Well done.

Jack, I started off at 250mm with my 450d and worked through 1200mm with the 450d to this high res astro imaging technique. I really messed up the first few mosaics leaving holes :bang:

It's a fake the shadows are all wrong....

Seriously it's a fantastic shot, I have been thinking of trying to capture some good shots of the moon myself, don't think I'll bother now.

:razz: let's not start any conspiracy theories :LOL:

Go for it... it's addictive though

Stunning shot - interested in the workflow, what's the reason for using avi files?

Thanks

As you get the magnification up beyond about 100x, in this case I was running at 400x... it's based on the focal length of the scope divided by the focal length of the eyepiece, or an approx equiv based on sensor size... the seeing (atmospheric disturbance) becomes more and more intrusize. With an SLR shot at short focal lengths (200-400mm) it's barely noticeable. The image of the moon, on the laptop screen, looked a bit like a wobbling jelly. Therefore the higher the frame rate, the shorter each exposure the better, as you're more likely to get through the wobbles to moments of clear seeing.
So, shoot an AVI as fast a frame rate as you can (balancing against gain to keep noise down), take all the frames in the AVI and stack the best of them to overcome the wobbles.

This movie I posted will show you what I mean... It's not at the same level of magnification, probably a bit less than half I'd guess (I can't remember the details on it, as it was some time ago now..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKvJWhVRmM0

I hope that helps.

hey man you didnt cheat and use a ladder did you...:D

damn good shot and congratulations

Well done John, some of us had a crack at the moon at the same time yours was posted and yours just blew us away :eek: unrivalled superb detail (y)

Must be a fake as I can't see a Tesco or Mc Donalds there !!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Cracking shot well done there. :clap::clap::clap:

Really well done John, your sky shots are always exceptional. (y)

Back