weekly IanD's 52 For 2018 (Week 11 - Wet)

Good take on theme Ian, do love a good tart too. some might not agree with me, but I think it would of been better without the knife still a great take though (y)(y)

I nearly put a bigger knife and a sharpening steel in it today - less is more eh

I like the mono Stark image.
Age I prefer the shot of the roots.
Over is a great take on the theme, and personally I think the DOF is spot on.
Sharp is another great take on the theme. I was considering something similar, but stuck with my first idea in the end, partly because we had no lemons in the house :)

Thanks very much. I had to buy a single lemon and lime for this photographic masterpiece

Age is a wonderful photo, very well processed!

Sharp is a clever idea, and you have done well with creating a good background for your photo!

Thank you - I was actually looking for a book on cocktails that I thought we had, and would have used the mojito recipe, but I couldn't find it, and this worked out better IMO

You could have made the tart, some people are just lazy, what a great idea lemons are though ;)

You could have made the tart, some people are just lazy, what a great idea lemons are though ;)

I wish. I can just about make a cup of tea. Mind you, the missus' key lime pie is legendary - I missed a trick there

Good entry iand, 3 for the price of 1 as you say.

However ................... 1 lemon and 1 knife would have more impact.

Good entry iand, 3 for the price of 1 as you say.

However ................... 1 lemon and 1 knife would have more impact.

Cheers David....

Would have been a struggle making a lemon and lime tart without the lime though ;)

Certainly packing in the sharpness, nicely lit and composed with good detail throughout.

Great idea fo Sharp Ian I had a similar thought in fact I still have a lemon tart in the fridge.

Nicely set up and lit

Right I'm off to the fridge to find that tart and some cream......

Great idea fo Sharp Ian I had a similar thought in fact I still have a lemon tart in the fridge.

Nicely set up and lit

Right I'm off to the fridge to find that tart and some cream......

Thank you and I'm so jealous as I'm on a diet!

Age - Great looking tree, second picture of the roots is the one for me.
Sharp - Good choice of background for the image :)

Age - I like your magic tree it certainly looks like it has a magical aura. I love those roots too
Sharp - plenty of sharpness there I like the sharpness there

You are right about the tree, it does have an air of fantasy dwarves and elves about it....

Sharp is a clever take on the theme and well executerd.

Age - I like your magic tree it certainly looks like it has a magical aura. I love those roots too
Sharp - plenty of sharpness there I like the sharpness there
You are right about the tree, it does have an air of fantasy dwarves and elves about it....

Sharp is a clever take on the theme and well executerd.

Thanks very much @minx and @Hertsman

Week 6 - Guard

Well, this one's been a hard one for me. Every idea i've come up with has been lost to lack of props or lack of time/light, so i've finally got something uploaded.

This is how I roll 5 days a week, wearing this face guard, playing with chemicals in a warehouse - glamorous, it certainly is not, but it pays the bills.

Image converted to black and white and a little grain added, for my personal taste

And now, I can have a look at everyone else's entries with out being swayed by your choices

Breaking Bad by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

Last edited:
All kinds of guard there and the rather industrial BG works for the subject matter

Nice that it's got the personal story, well put together and it suits the grainy mono, I thought it might be from film when I first saw it.

Guard - Perfect for the theme Ian love the grittiness of the mono conversion like Chris I thought it may have been shot on film when I saw it in image thread.

Also thought it was shot on HP5+ or similar. I really like this, and the wall patterns add a nice abstract contrast to the printed rolls.

Age(ing) - I love the sky and what a lovely and interesting tree works very well for me and what a cracking root system it has as well.
Sharp - great take on the them and nicely executed, good placement of the props and nice BG for the image as well.
Guard(ed) - works for me and I even like the little bit of grain you added to the image.

Hi Ian,

Sharp - Nicely taken. Agree with the comments that you've come up with a suitable background, very on topic :) nice bit of symmetry with the board too.
Guard - Good choice of mono and the added grain, works well. As Allan says, the background suits it too. (y)

Guard
I like the looks of that. It's a good composition and even though you don't seem to think so, I think it's been well thought out.

Nice gitty cold war grain to your Image Ian, I'm thinking of solders in NBW suits.

Pete

Really nice shot for Guard, but my OCD is going crazy with the upside down tape !

All kinds of guard there and the rather industrial BG works for the subject matter

Thanks very much @Allan.H

Very nicely on guard theme Ian, goes great in mono and like the grittiness (y)

Thanks @Dave70D - I needed the grittiness to take the clarity of everything away

Nice that it's got the personal story, well put together and it suits the grainy mono, I thought it might be from film when I first saw it.

Thanks @sirch - and I didn't even use a 'film look' filter, if there is such a thing

Guard - Perfect for the theme Ian love the grittiness of the mono conversion like Chris I thought it may have been shot on film when I saw it in image thread.

Thanks very much @Downton Mini

Also thought it was shot on HP5+ or similar. I really like this, and the wall patterns add a nice abstract contrast to the printed rolls.

Thanks @LancsLee - that was my intention, to get the wall patterns in for added texture. Glad you noticed

Age(ing) - I love the sky and what a lovely and interesting tree works very well for me and what a cracking root system it has as well.
Sharp - great take on the them and nicely executed, good placement of the props and nice BG for the image as well.
Guard(ed) - works for me and I even like the little bit of grain you added to the image.

Thanks @Pinkbikerbabe - very much appreciated comments

Looks a little staged but I like it, BG too. (y)

Thanks @d00d - it was indeed staged, but intentionally, to tell the story of my working day

Hi Ian,
Sharp - Nicely taken. Agree with the comments that you've come up with a suitable background, very on topic :) nice bit of symmetry with the board too.
Guard - Good choice of mono and the added grain, works well. As Allan says, the background suits it too. (y)

Thank you @LC2 - I was pleased in the end with the way sharp turned out

Guard. Nice and on theme. Well composed. I like the blocks in the background. And the mono works well. Nice picture.

Many thanks @ross.anderson.58 - much appreciated

Guard
I like the looks of that. It's a good composition and even though you don't seem to think so, I think it's been well thought out.

@Nostromo very kind of you to say so

Nice gitty cold war grain to your Image Ian, I'm thinking of solders in NBW suits.
Pete

Cheers @seaodyssey - I've actually got full body suits there but only a light material, not like the face mask. That would have been an interesting image

Really nice shot for Guard, but my OCD is going crazy with the upside down tape !

@Hertsman - thanks for the comments. Finally, someone noticed the upside down 'This Way Up' tape. I thought i'd put in in and see who spotted it

Well, I haven't seen anyone else's images yet so don't know if anyone's been as abstract - a bit of a lame attempt maybe, but for some reason, it wa the first thing that came to my mind, apart from thick sliced bread

Thick by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

It a good idea though the WB is a bit off

Argggggghhh! Not the goddamn white balance again @Allan.H - that'll be the death of me.

My thread will end up like that Falty Towers episode where Sybil says 'Don't mention the war Basil'

Argggggghhh! Not the goddamn white balance again @Allan.H - that'll be the death of me.

My thread will end up like that Falty Towers episode where Sybil says 'Don't mention the war Basil'
indeed there will be a bandwagon along soon, I am currently awaiting the no focal point bandwagon :D

indeed there will be a bandwagon along soon, I am currently awaiting the no focal point bandwagon :D

Lol Allan - I've got broad shoulders and a steely reserve :help:

I really like your Guard image, nicely on theme, well composed, and doesn't look contrived at all.

Thick, I really like the idea. I was trying to think of something using thick in this context, but I couldn't think of anything (except possibly one of our cats, which is a bit thick as well as being thickset. He won't stay still long enough to photograph unfortunately). As mentioned, the WB looks a bit warm.

Interesting idea for the theme, the busyness on the LHS is a bit distracting

Thick, most amusing. Reminds me of Jimmy Cricket, the comedian.

Well, I haven't seen anyone else's images yet so don't know if anyone's been as abstract - a bit of a lame attempt maybe, but for some reason, it wa the first thing that came to my mind, apart from thick sliced bread

Thick by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

Like it, the left and right made me smile, I can imagine tattooed feet to go with it.... :)

Back