weekly IanD's 52 For 2018 (Week 11 - Wet)

guard - I like the arrangement of the things, not so keen about the background, although I like the distressed look of the photo!
thick - Brilliant idea, great execution (y)

Damned clever slant on the Thick theme :clap:

WB ... yep .....

Hi Ian, Starting my big catch-up of comments :)

Stark - I like the colour version from the 2 original pictures but the edited B&W is my favourite. Very nice and contrasty
Over - Good idea but for me the Dof is a little too narrow, my eyes keep being drawn to the oof detail on the wood rather than figures
Age - What a great tree, nicely captured. Maybe just a tad too dark in the top corners but I like the clouds
Sharp - Well set up and definitely on theme
Guard - Good gritty image that works well with the processing
Thick - Interesting and original image but it is a bit too orange, could maybe be sorted in Photoshop if you have it

:D

I really like your Guard image, nicely on theme, well composed, and doesn't look contrived at all.

Thick, I really like the idea. I was trying to think of something using thick in this context, but I couldn't think of anything (except possibly one of our cats, which is a bit thick as well as being thickset. He won't stay still long enough to photograph unfortunately). As mentioned, the WB looks a bit warm.

Thanks very much Jon. I suppose it guard could be taken as 'just sitting there' or set up. I liked the outcome so was happy to share and see how it was received

The thick wasn't my first idea but it came to mind and then I had to do it - cost my 99p for props so quite expensive image to set up

Interesting idea for the theme, the busyness on the LHS is a bit distracting

Thanks Chris - I could not find anywhere else to set this up. That did bother me a little, hence the effort to get the bokeh - obviously not enough though

Thick, most amusing. Reminds me of Jimmy Cricket, the comedian.

Thanks Martin - ahh, the good old days with just silly but funny humour

Like it, the left and right made me smile, I can imagine tattooed feet to go with it.... :)

Not sure if your reply is just a general "made me smile' or are you the only one that noticed my deliberate 'error'?

Damned clever slant on the Thick theme :clap:

WB ... yep .....

Thanks very much David

Hi Ian, Starting my big catch-up of comments :)

Stark - I like the colour version from the 2 original pictures but the edited B&W is my favourite. Very nice and contrasty
Over - Good idea but for me the Dof is a little too narrow, my eyes keep being drawn to the oof detail on the wood rather than figures
Age - What a great tree, nicely captured. Maybe just a tad too dark in the top corners but I like the clouds
Sharp - Well set up and definitely on theme
Guard - Good gritty image that works well with the processing
Thick - Interesting and original image but it is a bit too orange, could maybe be sorted in Photoshop if you have it

:D

Thanks for taking the trouble to go back and review my entries Georgina. On the 'over' one, I think i'm starting to agree with you and others comments. I've learned since the earlier weeks that I could have had the f/stop a bit higher and got more of the forefront in focus. On the thick one, it'd funny, you're not the first to mention the issue - could it be the white balance :exit: I do tend to see my slightly orangey shots and not see the problem. I should be learning on the WB issues, as it's been pointed out to me enough times

Think - a great take on the theme a little bit of fun. I won't mention the.............

Quick off the mark Ian. Nice composition/ framing too(y) Bang on theme; the only way I want to see that many mice

Thick

I think i could have done with these this morning, I really wasn't with it.

Abundance is right on theme and nicely arranged (y)

An infestation of mice I could clear some of them for you, nice idea

You've posted some excellent images since my last visit Ian :clap: I really like Age with that huge and imposing old tree, and Sharp is a great combination of props that works well both as a theme idea and also as a colourful image. Your gritty processing works well with those props for Guard, which is probably one of the most 'on theme' images I've seen so far for that week, and I did LOL at the writing on the soles for Thick; original idea and nicely arranged. Finally, the full frame of white mice helps to underline the theme of 'abundance', and I hope you had a great time eating them afterwards :D

Nice one Ian, works well for the theme and well executed.
The high ISO isn't an issue, it seems to add texture.

Thanks Tim. That's another photography life lesson right there - I could have grabbed the tripod from the car and nailed it at ISO100 but chose to go hand-held and auto to get the focus

Quick off the mark Ian. Nice composition/ framing too(y) Bang on theme; the only way I want to see that many mice

Thanks John. You wouldn't be seeing so many of them now

Thick

I think i could have done with these this morning, I really wasn't with it.

Heavy night before then Dominic?

Abundance is right on theme and nicely arranged (y)

Thanks very much Bernd

An infestation of mice I could clear some of them for you, nice idea

Don't worry Allan - thanks for the feedback, and i've already had a good go at clearing them

Good frame filling abundance of white mice.

Thanks very much Chris

You've posted some excellent images since my last visit Ian :clap: I really like Age with that huge and imposing old tree, and Sharp is a great combination of props that works well both as a theme idea and also as a colourful image. Your gritty processing works well with those props for Guard, which is probably one of the most 'on theme' images I've seen so far for that week, and I did LOL at the writing on the soles for Thick; original idea and nicely arranged. Finally, the full frame of white mice helps to underline the theme of 'abundance', and I hope you had a great time eating them afterwards :D

Thanks very much for taking the time to trawl back through my efforts and give some in-depth feedback Andrea. It's nice to get positive feedback when you're still learning

Abundance of Mice, there are.

Feeling a bit sick looking at all that chocolate. Also on a diet and that is not helping!

Pete

Good work Ian (y) ... a handy prop to have around.

Abundance - yummy I do like chocolate mice, and nicely presented, enjoy eating them and dont forget to share :D
I love your abundance shot and take, when we were in Australia I had 152 mice and loved them. Good sharp shot and nice to see the right colour of the mice sweets.
Abundance of Mice, there are.

Feeling a bit sick looking at all that chocolate. Also on a diet and that is not helping!

Pete
Good work Ian (y) ... a handy prop to have around.

Thanks for the feedback all - i'm ashamed to say that the chocolate mice lasted about three days with me and the missus gorging ourselves!

Week 10 - Heavy

So, i've been meaning to try and wedge a pic into my 52s, showing my other hobby and passion. This seemed about the right time, so here's an older image and the back story behind it...

I've been a Carp fisherman for over 30 years now and it's a real passion of mine. I've been in torrential weather, i've been at ungodly hours, i've stayed at the lake for hours, days and even fished in France for a week, for the experience. I love being outdoors on the (normally) peaceful and tranquil banks of the lakes. Seeing the sun rise and the sun set is a special time.

I'd never fished our local canal (Basingstoke Canal) for Carp before and I had a good friend that decided that I should. He was happy to take me and happy to give up his secret location, as the canal Carp can be very nomadic. About 4 years ago, one sunny evening in July, we headed off to his spot and he gave me advise as to where best to cast to. I put my baits out on both of my rods and stood next to them with my fingers crossed. Within 30 minutes of casting my baits out, the tip of my rod pulled round and I grabbed the rod. It was straight away evident that I had something quite large and strong attached to my hook. A few minutes later and I had my first ever canal Carp in my net. I called down to my mate, who came straight up to have a look, and he said, 'that's big mate'.

Anyway, to cut a reasonably short story even shorter, we weighed this Carp and it was 23lb 9oz. This is very, very decent for a canal, and it was bigger than anything my mate had had to date from there. I was speechless. Totally blown away by this gnarly old creature, which would probably have been 30-40 years old. One of my favourite captures of my life...

2013 25th July - Basingstoke Canal - 23lb 9oz Mirror by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

Thats a lot of mice! glad they are chocolate ones and not real. Not sure they would have lasted three days if they were sat by me!

Small world Andrea! Would love to see a few pics of the carp you've caught. It's a great way to relax eh.

I've had one or two bigger than that one but I'm not one to chase big fish, I much prefer the pretty ones.

Here's just one more, from last year from a local lake where they are all scaley and old

FB_IMG_1508153452037.jpg

My carp are not as big as yours, I will stick a image or two on my thread in second or two as they are on fb.

Size is irrelevant - it's the pleasure it gives you catching them and being on the bank that counts

Wow, that is a large fish to pull from the canal.
To think when out on narrow boats, the first thing you do in the morning is stick your hand into the water to clear the prop. I'd have hated to have found something like that attacking me !!!

I presume as responsible fishermen the carp were duly returned to the water? Please?

Back