weekly IanD's 52 For 2018 (Week 11 - Wet)

Wow, that is a large fish to pull from the canal.
To think when out on narrow boats, the first thing you do in the morning is stick your hand into the water to clear the prop. I'd have hated to have found something like that attacking me !!!

Ha ha! That wouldn't have hurt you Tim. They only have pharyngeal teeth (crushing ones further down their throat. We've fed carp by hand with bread before

I presume as responsible fishermen the carp were duly returned to the water? Please?

Absolutely Martin - every carp we catch, goes straight back after we've admired it's beauty for a little while. If we didn't, then I wouldn't be sharing the image with you as someone else would have taken it for the table. Us carp anglers and religious about taking care of our quarry

Might be an old shot, but that is one fine Carp shot and on theme too.

Thanks very much Dave. I know playing the joker is a bit of a cop out, but like I said, just wanted to get a pic in somewhere, of my other hobby. The lakes, canals etc have been fishing really bad lately, so the chance of me getting one this weekend, would have been pretty much zero

What a whopper! :) I enjoy fishing too but as keen as you. Use to go every weekend when I was a schoolboy and only pick up the hobby/sport again a few years ago. I've done some fishing when I was in Australia a few weeks ago too.

It's a great relaxing pastime eh. Can't beat it Stan. We used to take small rods and reels on holiday every year. We've had small stuff from most countries, but we've never done the proper game fishing right out in the oceans. Just costs way too much

Guard - the setting really suits the props good take on the theme
Thick - I like that, made me smile
Heavy - Wow that'a a whopper perfect for the theme, I don't blame you for pulling that old shot out..

Hi Pete, that's a great capture mate. I have a few mates that have dived in a few local lakes and also come across a few carp (yes, I think that looks like a big fat carp), and they've also come across Pike too

Interesting stuff all about carp fishing. I had no idea.

Thats one big fish! Glad to hear he was ok and put back in the water. :D

Abundance - Yep lots of mice there I the fact its in effect a mono image some nice details too.

Heavy - You caught that in the canal!!! Great story behind the image fits the theme perfectly.

I like your WET entry. Excellent use of the DoF although I note when looking at the full-sized version on Flickr that there is an element of camera shake. Nevertheless, good interpretation.

Damn! First comment and someone noticed :)

The missus was holding her phone and moaning that it was cold, so I guess she was shivering :bat:

Week 9 - Abundance....

Snowy outside and no chance of getting out so thought i'd best get my thinking cap on, so...

Week 9 - An Abundance Of Mice

Abundance Of Mice by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

That really is alot of mice, glad they are just chocolate ones :p. Like the image.

Week 10 - Heavy

So, i've been meaning to try and wedge a pic into my 52s, showing my other hobby and passion. This seemed about the right time, so here's an older image and the back story behind it...

I've been a Carp fisherman for over 30 years now and it's a real passion of mine. I've been in torrential weather, i've been at ungodly hours, i've stayed at the lake for hours, days and even fished in France for a week, for the experience. I love being outdoors on the (normally) peaceful and tranquil banks of the lakes. Seeing the sun rise and the sun set is a special time.

I'd never fished our local canal (Basingstoke Canal) for Carp before and I had a good friend that decided that I should. He was happy to take me and happy to give up his secret location, as the canal Carp can be very nomadic. About 4 years ago, one sunny evening in July, we headed off to his spot and he gave me advise as to where best to cast to. I put my baits out on both of my rods and stood next to them with my fingers crossed. Within 30 minutes of casting my baits out, the tip of my rod pulled round and I grabbed the rod. It was straight away evident that I had something quite large and strong attached to my hook. A few minutes later and I had my first ever canal Carp in my net. I called down to my mate, who came straight up to have a look, and he said, 'that's big mate'.

Anyway, to cut a reasonably short story even shorter, we weighed this Carp and it was 23lb 9oz. This is very, very decent for a canal, and it was bigger than anything my mate had had to date from there. I was speechless. Totally blown away by this gnarly old creature, which would probably have been 30-40 years old. One of my favourite captures of my life...

2013 25th July - Basingstoke Canal - 23lb 9oz Mirror by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

Love a good story behind an image, what a catch as well. (I know nothing about fishing btw). Glad to hear it went back :)

Here's this week's entry - need I say more :)

Wet Wet Wet by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

Great take on the theme! Good mix of old and new (wet wet wet and the technology)

Wet is nicely done and made me smile, good interpretation of the theme.

Nice idea, nicely focussed ... and the illuminated brick wall is a nice touch. (y)

Heavy - that's a big fish, no need to say more :)
Wet Wet Wet - great idea and great execution! I like the DoF and the light...

Wet Wet Wet, great take on the theme, I thought about using my ipod for Heavy Metal, but decided against it.
Nice colours, dof and composition.

Pete

Wet - Wet Wet a good twist on the theme the oof foreground certainly focuses the eye on the phone image

Back