If you were to start over...

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, your camera equipment has been destroyed in a horrific accident and the venue you were at are covering the cost of replacing the equipment with new, but they give you cash rather than goods. The cash has to be spent on photography equipment.

Would you buy exactly what you had (same manufacturer, camera, lenses etc), what from your kit would you not buy again?

Which 5 items could you not be without? Would you buy less lenses and invest in a better body?

T

I would buy the exact stuff I have now, the Olympus m4/3 body EM5 MK2 and a few primes.
I spent years with a heavy ungainly DSLR never again.

I would be tempted to go down the XT3 route and Fuji glass. But, I would probably end up with the same again.

Only changed to Sony last month so would want a like for like replacement, happy with all of the new lenses recently purchased.

If ALL my kit were destroyed and to be replaced with items of a similar cost, I'd probably ditch the Nikon FF and 1 series systems and have 3 Fuji X-T3s with my current zoom line up. If there was enough change, I'd have another X-T3 body and a couple of faster primes as well as the 3 zoom system.

I'd go with a like for like replacement of my current Nikon set up. Does everything that I need it to and wouldn't have to learn any new system, could "hit the ground running" and be back working from the get go.

GC

Last edited:
In the past I have bought and sold camera equipment regularly - which means I have done what you suggest time and time again - full system changes from Canon (5dm3) to Nikon (d750) to Leica (SL/M10) to Sony (A9).

I have settled on two Sony A9 for professional use, Hasselblad X1D and Leica Q for personal - I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
Before I went FF last year, if I'd had my time over, it would be Fuji all the way. That said, I firmly believe going FF was the best thing I've ever done for my photography, so another 5Div and lots of lovely L it would be.

7D, never again, I'd rather boil my head.

AS I am used to using Nikon equipment I would get the same again. What would be different is the tripods and tripod heads.

Last edited:
I got broken into about 10 years ago and all my camera gear got stolen, DSLR, Bridge camera, Compact camera, 4 lenses, filters, batteries and memory cards. :eek: :( :mad: One of the lenses I had borrowed from a friend to do a demonstration with. :( :rolleyes: Laptop and PS3 also went at the same time. :( Top tip people, try not to leave all your camera gear in your bag at home, as you will have packed it up nice and neatly for any scumbag to easily carry away. :( :rolleyes:

I had no insurance, :( so firstly replaced the lens I had borrowed, then got almost everything the same as I had before. I had 50mm f1.8 lens which I had hardly used, so didn't get another one. I took the opportunity to upgrade the camera to its replacement, a Nikon D300 to a D300S, the only plus point of the whole thing. I had Fuji Bridge and Compact cameras that were stolen, and the compact I wanted to replace with the same model because I really liked it, but it was too old so didn't replace either. A couple of years later I eventually replaced the compact with a Canon compact. The Bridge was my first digital camera too. :(

I had taken years to build my gear up to what I wanted, and so got the replacements to get back to the place I was previously. I nearly moved systems a few years ago because I felt limited in a number of areas by what I had, mainly the camera body which was lagging behind in a number of ways, but Nikon surprisingly released the D500 and I was more than satisfied again. :) The cost of getting that camera new would have been similar to changing systems to Canon, thankfully Nikon released a body with more than I would have got by changing. :D

I don't feel locked into a system financially so that it would be hard to change if I wanted to, but I can honestly say if the same thing happened again I would try and get what I have now as I am very happy with what I've got. :) At the moment I don't have GAS. :D

I would buy what I have now except for the 50 mm lens which is fine but has not been used in several years. I also would not replace my Kenko teleconverter as that has also not been used in several years.

I’d do what I’ve just done, but an XT-3 and then purchase some lovely Fuji glass. At present I just have the 18-55. But that’ll be added to shortly.

Same again but I wouldn't like to sit and find all those old film era lenses in the same condition.

Ok, your camera equipment has been destroyed in a horrific accident and the venue you were at are covering the cost of replacing the equipment with new, but they give you cash rather than goods. The cash has to be spent on photography equipment.

Would you buy exactly what you had (same manufacturer, camera, lenses etc), what from your kit would you not buy again?

Which 5 items could you not be without? Would you buy less lenses and invest in a better body?

T

I have Canon, Fuji and Sony... So if all that went I had all the cash instead?... I'll buy a Fuji X100f and a new car! :D

Seriously though I'd have to choose between putting all the money into a Sony setup or getting the Fuji setup again and just pocketing the rest of the cash. I'd go Fuji and never ever get into buying different systems again!

I'd probably wait and see what the Nikon Z7 mark II or Mark III is like. If I had to buy now then I'd get what I have currently, there's still not the perfect one camera for all solution for me yet.

I'd be tempted to change the D610 to D750, although I'd also investigate Sony A7 and also the A99 series cameras. I don't own any special lenses, and they're all older mid-spec models so there's no special premium to stay with a particular brand.

Might go for a 600 F4 Mk2 rather than my 800, and wouldn't bother with the 300 F2.8 (just don't use it enough) the rest I am quite happy with.

Before I went FF last year, if I'd had my time over, it would be Fuji all the way. That said, I firmly believe going FF was the best thing I've ever done for my photography, so another 5Div and lots of lovely L it would be.

7D, never again, I'd rather boil my head.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Wouldn't replace any of my digital kit - I find digital photography crap now TBH and would use my phone to capture the snapshots taken with digital.

Would buy another Rollei 6003/6008 6 x 6 and build a nice system around it (again) The best camera I have ever owned by some considerable margin :)

Last edited:
I'd see it as an opportunity to try something different, possibly look into getting a Nikon Z7 and native lenses. (Currently have a Sony A72 + Sony zooms).

Last month I took all my Canon kit in to LCE and walked out with an X-T2 kit. Obviously if the insurance would stretch to an X-T3 I’d have that!

its a strange feeling ive got,or should I say an unfamiliar feeling of no gas.ive felt this way for some months now and whilst liberating it also leaves a bit of an empty hole where anticipation and excitement resided.

As much as I still have an itch for a D850, I'd just replace my pair of X-T2's with T3's, probably not bother with the 60mm, keep the 16 & 35mm f1.4's, keep my 3 zooms (10-24, 50-140 & 100-400) and maybe add either the 23 f1.4 or the 16-55 f2.8.

I love using the Fuji kit, and their glass is excellent.

its a strange feeling ive got,or should I say an unfamiliar feeling of no gas.ive felt this way for some months now and whilst liberating it also leaves a bit of an empty hole where anticipation and excitement resided.

I'm getting there.

I've thought about getting a new camera but my current ones do mostly everything I want. I'm even losing my interest in buying old lenses as I seem to have everything I want but a a FD 24mm f2.8 would be nice. I have a third party one in FD mount but I have a few niggles about it.

I'm in pretty much the same boat and would only do the multiple "upgrade" to 3x X-T3 to keep uniformity across the bodies to avoid confuzzlement (something I suffer from when switching from camera to camera even across the same system!)

I'm in pretty much the same boat and would only do the multiple "upgrade" to 3x X-T3 to keep uniformity across the bodies to avoid confuzzlement (something I suffer from when switching from camera to camera even across the same system!)

Have to say that is why I let my T1 go for a 2nd T2. Different menus & settings were doing my head in...

I'd probably go mirrorless, rather than DSLR, but it would either be the Canon EOS-R or a Sony A7III.

Seems like an even split between people sticking with what they have and people changing systems. Just wondering how 'locked in' people feel with current kit and not taking a 'hit' on selling the lot to switch.

For me Canon seem to have big gaps in their body line up but have a great lens range! If I were to start over I would probably switch to sony, but miss the canon glass!!

T

If you have just lost the lot, you are not tied in to your camera system any more - apart from the need to learn brand idiosyncrasies such as menu layouts and button positions.

The reason I said I would replace my camera with the same model is because I like my camera - I bought it for a reason - and that liking will not change just because I am replacing it. Yes, Canon have holes in their range which is why I also have an Olympus Pen but those holes are really insignificant. If you want to take a particular photograph, Canon have a model that will do a good job of it.

Back