i'm fuming.....

So here we have a 34 year old father of 2 who thinks it's O.K. to assault someone for throwing a snowball?

Get real.

I would suggest you read the thread correctly before commenting about something you clearly don’t have the full facts about.:rules:

I wouldn't have got into that situation. They throw snowballs, I throw snowballs. Why take a fist to a snowball fight?

He took it the generally accepted mature route of having a word with them, they took it to a fight. He reacted as any one would then walked away. He didn't hang around to finish him off!

just saw this...WOW a lot of replies

frankly we can harp about about minors and all that, but my tuppence to the OP...
fine, my only consideration is that a kick in the balls isn't gentlemanly :)
however, he got what he deserved. the daft sods were up for annoying someone and bit off more than they can chew. Also throwing snowballs at someone carrying electronic equipment is potentially damaging to personal properly..which I think you can reasonably defend. Secondly he swung first and made contact. so it wasn't a feint etc. he was squaring up to hurt someone. so go ahead. kick him in the balls. the police have more important things to worry about and would have done sod all about it tbh. what can they do to 18 random kids on the word of one person after the fact. During the fact the OP made one snotty kid (not a minor though, he knew exactly what he was doing) you can drive at 17 and get married, so your actions are you own!

for Chaz...you can rise above someone and in a perfect world...this would be great.
but a dozen or so 18 y'os aren't going to learn from that and would just pick on someone else. If they'd done that to a granny she might have fallen, broken her hip, been too scared to venture out in the snow again.
From a reasonable self defense point of view, he was hit once..he hit back once. He didn't employ any weapon (improvised or not) and didn't break anything or do any (that we know of) lasting damage.
so Stan...I hope they didn't ruin your day too much....and I hope you ruined his a fair bit.
if the police do become involved, good luck and be reasonable, considered and factual in your recount of events.

Lets hope he cant have kids to grow up and do the same......:LOL:

decided to go out with the camera this morning,to a local park for some landscape and wildlife shots.was enjoying myself when a gang of 17-18 yr olds started taking the pee[that,i can handle by ignoring them],then,as i'm about to take a shot,i'm bombarded with snowballs..myself and camera being covered.

so i turn and asked what they think they were playing at,and they said"what"..i said "you know full well what,do you think it's funny to knacker 2.5K's worth of equipment with your antics",then they give me more abuse,so i put down my camera and front up to them to see how brave they would be then.but one of them thinks he has the measure of me by taking a swing,which slightly catches me on the chin,si i retaliate by kicking him in the groin...and he sinks to his knees,i turn and walk away....

this has upset me,and has completely ruined my day...a bad start to 2010 :bang:

Just in case you missed it yourself .....

The O.P. had some snowballs thrown at him. He challenged the "offenders". The "offenders" rose to the challenge and caught a glancing blow. He responded by committing A.B.H.

At what point do you think that is acceptable behaviour from a man who has 30 years more life experience than those he challenged? Do you not think it would have been better for him to just say something along the lines of "Can you stop that, I've got some expensive equipment here and I don't want it damaged"?

It's not about how you handle yourself in a situation, it's all about how you handle the situation. By being aggressive toward them and asking a question such as "what do you think your playing at", the outcome is never going to be good, is it? The best answer the O.P. copuld expect is "throwing snowballs, what do you think we're playing at?"

That answer in itself would be regarded as rude, ignorant or cheeky. All of which are likely to end up in a confrontation.

no, the youths were not in the right by throwing snowballs at a stranger but the escalation is entirely the fault of the O.P. He could have handled the situation in a manner more in keeping with his age rather than putting down a challeng and then fronting them.

At age 17-18 he would have got the exact same reaction from me.

read the first post again.

Keep it calm folks, or it will be me doing the nut kicking...;)

I had read it and have re-posted above in case you missed a few words yourself. It would seem that you have.

So here we have a 34 year old father of 2 who thinks it's O.K. to assault someone for throwing a snowball?

Get real.

I think you have either not read the whole thread or dont understand that throwing snowballs at a stranger is ASSAULT. Although I think that is a bit OTT, thats the law. All the OP did was question their behaviour as he didnt want to spend £2.5k + on new equipment as the snowballs were getting near his camera equipment.

Its people like you that are creating this pathetic nanny state we live in now.

Kids always used to grow up respecting others and their elders but these days that is less apparent. (I know that not all kids are bad but its a generalisation of the way things are today) It stems back to lack of/stopping punishment at schools.

It was people like you who probably voted to stop such punishments. Bit like The Human Rights Act or whatever it is. Complete crap..!!

The O.P. had some snowballs thrown at him. He challenged the "offenders". The "offenders" rose to the challenge and caught a glancing blow. He responded by committing A.B.H.

This bit worries me quite a lot. I can understand what you're saying, but feel you're missing the point. Whether is was a glancing blow or not, the youth swung at his face, and made contact. Assault. I don't get why you think this kid is fine to go round hitting people, but it's not o.k to fight back?

I wouldn't do it, but if I ever threw a punch at someone, I'd be expecting one back!

Chris

Edit: Please no-one get personal, as I'm interested in the replies to my questions, but I won't get them if this thread gets locked, which is the direction it's heading at the moment :)

Its people like you that are creating this pathetic nanny state we live in now. >>>>

<<<< It was people like you who probably voted to stop such punishments. Bit like The Human Rights Act or whatever it is. Complete crap..!!

No, I'm a firm believer in corporal and capital punishment, I had a very "Victorian" upbringing and also served in the Royal Marines. I see nurture and discipline as the cornerstones of a good society.

However, the O.P. suffered a snowball attack and handled the situation badly resulting in him committing ABH on a youth. How can you see that as right? There was no damage done, only the possibility of damage. I don't see that as an action punishable by a kick in the unmentionables.

Had the O.P. approached the situation in a more measured manner the outcome would probably have been happier. It's called conflict management. But then I would expect "your sort" to understand it, it takes self control and thought to apply it.

I had read it and have re-posted above in case you missed a few words yourself. It would seem that you have.

:shrug: Oh dear.

it would seem that I havent, he was struck first. I would have also reacted that way. Today i saw someone have a snowball thrown at them by yoofs, he didnt respond at first, and got a lot more thrown at him, he then responded and got called many different names that are in the swear filter.

Suggestion: move along.

Just in case you missed it yourself .....

At what point do you think that is acceptable behaviour from a man who has 30 years more life experience than those he challenged? Do you not think it would have been better for him to just say something along the lines of "Can you stop that, I've got some expensive equipment here and I don't want it damaged"?

It's not about how you handle yourself in a situation, it's all about how you handle the situation. By being aggressive toward them and asking a question such as "what do you think your playing at", the outcome is never going to be good, is it? The best answer the O.P. copuld expect is "throwing snowballs, what do you think we're playing at?"

That answer in itself would be regarded as rude, ignorant or cheeky. All of which are likely to end up in a confrontation.

no, the youths were not in the right by throwing snowballs at a stranger but the escalation is entirely the fault of the O.P. He could have handled the situation in a manner more in keeping with his age rather than putting down a challeng and then fronting them.

At age 17-18 he would have got the exact same reaction from me.

So they could have attacked a more vunerable person later.? Its lessons like these that some kids need.

So if you saw someone stealing something from you, you would react in a calm adult manner.? I dont think so. His camera equipment getting damaged is on par with being stolen except an insurance company would pay out for theft and maybe not damage

But then I would expect "your sort" to understand it, it takes self control and thought to apply it.

you can go and calm down, clearly self control is something you should have exercised before getting hot and bothered about this thread.

Sheddy,

If I was punched in the face, I would have stuck my D3 so far up his arse, I would have a memory card full of whatever he had for breakfast. I would then have beat the little ******* to death with a tripod, called the police, and told them to come and collect the garbage....the alternative? Punch one turns into punch two, the rest join in, and it's my funeral. It happens, A LOT.

It's a sad state of affairs too, that we have to WORRY about Self Defence. I was once friends with a young chap back when I was 20 (almost 10 years ago). My friend was 15...he got a SEVERE BEATING from another 15 year old, someone who had bullied him for years. It was unprovoked, and the young chap had a broken nose, two black eyes, he was beaten black and blue...

Dad comes out, looses it and grabs the other kid by the neck and decks him with a right hook. The net effect was 2 weeks in jail for dad, and a court order preventing him working with children, and a restraining order preventing him from turning left from his own front door. If it was me, I would have got a lot longer than 2 weeks in jail.

Gary.

Feel for the OP.

Before I left the UK to live in New Zealand we were having major problems in our area with underage youths vandelising the cars. Reporting it no end but nothing ever got done. Came out night to see loads of them hucking stuff at cars when my neighbour comes out and catches one little runt red handed. He tells them to back off else he'll call the police, so the kid (15) chucks the stones he's got straight through the blokes car window!! My neighbour pushes the kid over, but he falls on some glass, cuts his hand open and starts crying and runs off!

Wake up the next morning to see the coppers next door. They arrested him for assualt on a minor! He had to pay £500 damages to the kid, plus got a criminal record for assualt on a minor. The police wouldn't press charges against the kid because he mates said the bloke started it!!!

Just one reason I'm glad I left the stuffing UK!

Sheddy,

If I was punched in the face, I would have stuck my D3 so far up his arse, I would have a memory card full of whatever he had for breakfast. I would then have beat the little ******* to death with a tripod, called the police, and told them to come and collect the garbage

Quality opening line Gary :LOL: (y). Shame about the rest of the story though :shake:

Seems I won't get my questions answered afterall......

Feel for the OP.

Before I left the UK to live in New Zealand we were having major problems in our area with underage youths vandelising the cars. Reporting it no end but nothing ever got done. Came out night to see loads of them hucking stuff at cars when my neighbour comes out and catches one little runt red handed. He tells them to back off else he'll call the police, so the kid (15) chucks the stones he's got straight through the blokes car window!! My neighbour pushes the kid over, but he falls on some glass, cuts his hand open and starts crying and runs off!

Wake up the next morning to see the coppers next door. They arrested him for assualt on a minor! He had to pay £500 damages to the kid, plus got a criminal record for assualt on a minor. The police wouldn't press charges against the kid because he mates said the bloke started it!!!

Not wanting to get political (too much!), but apparently the tories are looking to redress this "balance"...

Gary.

Feel for the OP.

I hope that NZ is better than Aus, as we seem to be treading a very similar path...allbeit without the European Union's pressure...though if Rudd gets his way we could have the Oceanic Union with King Rudd as High Chieften!

Roo

M'lud

My client, an established amateur photographer was enjoying a day of sunny snow laden scenery, taking photographs simply for his own personal pleasure and that of his Internet friends! On that day he had planned a visit to London, but on previous occasions had his pictures deleted by over zeolous PCSO's and was actually moved on from some very photogenic and public locations by security staff of Mothercare, not to mention the police officers who stopped and gave him a full and intimate body search under section 44 of the anti-terrorism act. so decided to visit the local park.

Whilst going about his lawful business of simply taking photographs of young children within a public area enjoying the snow .. (m'lud, I should point out at this stage of the defence that the children were in fact fully clothed and should be in no way considered controvertial images , the accident with the young lady and the cucumber is not of relevance here)

As a photographer my client has spent several thousand pounds on equipment and I feel that at this point I should appologise on my clients behalf that the equipment is from Sony ... but I digress....

My client was viciously assaulted by three young adults who threw snowballs in an attempt to damage his equipment and himself. The camera equipment being Sony has no weather protection whatsoever and nearly became seriously ...... Snowy, the lenses are also unfortunately not weather proofed either ... Sorry I digress again!

My client was slightly disturbed by the actions of the young adults and the potential damage to his equipment so approached the said 'young adults' to ask them to stop the snow balling antics ... At this point one of the 'young adults' took offence and threw a punch which connected with his chin, obviously causing severe pain and distress ...

My client acted in a perfectly normal manner in that he feared for his well being.. He defended himself by delivering a swift leg push towards the attackers shins .. in an effort to simply unbalance the attacker without causing harm, unfortunately Mr. Man missed the shins and connected his swift boot with his attackers genetalia and heard a sickening sound ... Similar to that of grapes being trod underfoot. This sound upset my client so much that he had to remove himself from the scene in order to vomit! ... He quickly returned to help his attacker but found that the situation was under control... So much so that the attacker and his friends were doing a deal with a hoodie and a Nintendo Wii that they had apparantly found in a snowman?

M'lud, as the court realises the media would suggest that all photographers are either terrorists or paedophiles my client has simply shown himself to be a simple man, carrying out his simple pastime of taking photographs.. He found himself under threat by unruly young adults and in a simple effort to protect both himself and his equipment resorted to a most simple and natural method of self defence ...... My case rests..

I almost laughed a bit to hard at that thread Gary...:LOL::LOL:

Could have been worse though Stan, could have been a hippy from Stonehenge hitting on you...;)

Sheddy,

If I was punched in the face, I would have stuck my D3 so far up his arse, I would have a memory card full of whatever he had for breakfast. I would then have beat the little ******* to death with a tripod, called the police, and told them to come and collect the garbage....the alternative? Punch one turns into punch two, the rest join in, and it's my funeral. It happens, A LOT.

It's a sad state of affairs too, that we have to WORRY about Self Defence. I was once friends with a young chap back when I was 20 (almost 10 years ago). My friend was 15...he got a SEVERE BEATING from another 15 year old, someone who had bullied him for years. It was unprovoked, and the young chap had a broken nose, two black eyes, he was beaten black and blue...

Dad comes out, looses it and grabs the other kid by the neck and decks him with a right hook. The net effect was 2 weeks in jail for dad, and a court order preventing him working with children, and a restraining order preventing him from turning left from his own front door. If it was me, I would have got a lot longer than 2 weeks in jail.

Gary.

That made me laugh so hard!

but in all seriousness, if the rest had got involved and had used weapons then its a totally different ball game

Happened to me one night walking home minding my own business, got jumped and before i know it im on the floor covered in blood with cracked ribs, chest bruising, concussion and an open wound down the back of my head

Is it not nature to retaliate in defense? if i had the chance to defend myself i would of, just like Stan the man did, its human nature to protect ourselves, and in Stans case he did it in a minor manor, in comparison to how he could of dealt with him. So credit where credits due maybe stan has stopped the youth from doing something much worse to somebody else in the future, either way nothing more has come of it, and a valuable lesson was learnt by the youth

Splog....................funniest two posts I have read on here for ages............:clap:

Sorry to hear about your crap day Stan :(

I gotta admire you for standing your ground, good job!

No, I'm a firm believer in corporal and capital punishment, I had a very "Victorian" upbringing and also served in the Royal Marines. I see nurture and discipline as the cornerstones of a good society.

However, the O.P. suffered a snowball attack and handled the situation badly resulting in him committing ABH on a youth. How can you see that as right? There was no damage done, only the possibility of damage. I don't see that as an action punishable by a kick in the unmentionables.

Yep. I drive at 150mph everywhere I go. It doesn't matter though, because I've never actually caused an accident. I also drop large bricks from overhead bridges for fun. I've never hit a car though, so it's fine. I've even left empty supermarket trolleys next to parked cars in supermarket car parks, because they probably won't hit another car if the wind blows.

OK, the supermarket one is a massive pet hate for me, and if I caught someone leaving a trolley near my car I would throw a snowball at them. Or kick the crap out of them, if it wasn't snowing.

Where does it end then? What if the equipment was damaged? Does he visit the houses of the guilty several hours later, and then kick them in the nuts?

Nip it in the chavvy bud, and don't let them get away with it. I can't honestly believe there are people disagreeing with the OP's reaction in this thread. The only thing I would disagree with is him being too soft on the little ****ers. :D

It seems some people still think the kick was a reaction to the snowball attack. This is not the case!

I wouldn't have got into that situation. They throw snowballs, I throw snowballs. Why take a fist to a snowball fight?

do you seriously think i wanted to be in that situation? i was out minding my own business,taking shots with my camera.they threw snowballat me..i turned and spoke to them,they gave me cheek,so i walked over to speak to them about it.ONE OF THEM then threw a punch at me..totally unexpected on my part,so i reacted to defend myself...period!

i just hope,for your sake you never find yourself in a situation like this..snowball fight or not.these sort of people just go looking for trouble,or try to frighten people who appear to be unable to defend themselves.if i hadn't had reacted as i did,these lowlife might have gone on to do the same to someone else...perhaps now they will think twice before they do.

i'm with stan

Good man Stan! The more people that do retaliate like this the more the message sinks in- we're not all gonna lie down and take it.

Stan, is it me or has your avatar changed since I turned the computer off last night? :LOL:

Stan, you really should of lay on the ground after getting punched.

Then they could of kicked and punched you properly.

I mean, they are only 17-18, they dont know that punching someone is wrong?

Sheddy,

If I was punched in the face, I would have stuck my D3 so far up his arse, I would have a memory card full of whatever he had for breakfast. I would then have beat the little ******* to death with a tripod, called the police, and told them to come and collect the garbage...

Gary.

quality gary...pure quality (y)

well done Stan , my theory on this is , if they assume they are big enough to play with the big boys then they have no one to blame but themselves for the outcome !!
maybe if more people stood up to them they would think twice in future

With you all the way Stan, the more people stand up to the little B@5T@6D5 the better off we will all be.

Very few of them have actually got the b@lls to "front up" to you, then when you give them a smack Hopefully they wont do it to anyone else.

GOOD ON YOU STAN.

Back