I'm sure you hate new film wannabee's but... :-D

Isn't there a hand held light meter with the pentax as well (its in a little leather case with a push stud if I recall correctly), you could use that to back up the pentax metering .

(edit : I confused myself , its stuck on auto anyway which is essentially AV - so if you are selecting an aperture the camera should select a corresponding shutter speed anyway without you needing to 'meter' per se ... if the shots are coming out too bright that would suggest that your aperture was too wide even at 1/8000 which seems a tad unlikely... what is more likely would be that the ISO set on the camera isn't corresponding to your film - if you set the camera to iso 100 but use an iso 400 film for example , the shots will all be 2 stops over exposed

Alternately the exposure meter could be inaccurate - it is after all older than you are)

Focussing wise - manual focus does take a little bit of getting used to, if you are used to AF - its a good move to use the distance markings as a guide. Also if you are shooting without your glasses remember that the viewfinder doesn't have the dioptre adjustment that you find on modern DSLRs

and btw regarding B&W film my favourite is probably XP2 which is a black and white film that is developed in colour chemistry - while that means you can't dev it at home as easily it does mean than you can whang it through any supermarket minilab which is often more convenient

Last edited:
Tbh going through them most of the ones i'm not happy with are because i was messing with the camera, god knows why i was trying to do smoke shots..... desperate to use film up me thinks.... but if the next lot come back all wrong i know it's me not doing something....

I forgot about the light meter, i shall take a look and fathom it out as a back up, the iso was set correct for film but again some of the shots i was trying to do are with the sun in the shot....

Lastly i could just be a moany old cow like i pointed out to Lee and want them all perfect! ish :LOL: and get cross at mistakes

Lastly i could just be a moany old cow like i pointed out to Lee and want them all perfect! ish :LOL: and get cross at mistakes

Practice young jedi

also ref over exposure - the meter is centre weighted and relatively basic , so if the scene is quite bright but the centre isn't , you'll wind up with the rest of the scene over exposed and washed out - equally if the centre is bright but the rest of the scene is dark (like a swan on dark water) you can wind up with the rest of the scene under exposed.

It has exposure compensation plus or minus 2 stops , so it might be worth playing with that. (also as an aside I can get 38 useable shots out of a putative 36 roll on the ME super, so it is worth winding on until you can't - but don't force it as you don't want to tear the film )

ME is pretty much fully auto, aperture priority, apart from using the exposure compensation dial (4x, 2x, 1, 1/2x 1/4x). It should give you pretty good results for negative film in most circumstances; I found Velvia and Provia distinctly harder. Only goes to 1/1000 shutter speed, but a lovely camera.

Only goes to 1/1000 shutter speed,.

good point well made - when I said 1/8000 earlier i'd confuzzled myself , it goes from 8sec to 1/1000 :bonk:

This thread is long :eek: But did you enjoy it as much as I said you would? :banana: Wish there were film meets up this end.. although I'd probably still be too shy to go o_O Come up here for a weekend T, we'll make our own meet... then I might not be so shy :LOL:

you could set your own film meet up - just stick something in the meeting place... if you are feeling brave you could invite Brash :eek:

I think a film meet in or around Edinburgh is definitely on the cards next year, we were discussing it (along wth many other important things, yesshir) in the pub at the Llandudno meet.

It is a bit isn't it :LOL: I think i've made it my little corner of the F&C... as for film, yes i love it.. like jump up and dance around buzz type feeling:banana:...You know we should do something, coming up there is an ace idea we should sort something out and kick your shyness in the :nono::LOL:

you could set your own film meet up - just stick something in the meeting place... if you are feeling brave you could invite Brash :eek:

:LOL: :LOL: I'm often too shy to post around here - every so often, I'll join in if I'm feeling brave :LOL:

However I've spoken to you for a while now T, you're like an old friend I can hide behind :beer:

:LOL: :LOL: I'm often too shy to post around here - every so often, I'll join in if I'm feeling brave :LOL:

However I've spoken to you for a while now T, you're like an old friend I can hide behind :beer:

:LOL::LOL: haha true and i do understand, there's nothing worse than wanting to do something but feeling held back, it's always nicer if you know someone

Lives in those parts, therefore could be invited to an Edinburgh meet ... that was a response to toadstool

Oh my mistake, i didn't realize they knew each other :bang:

Both members on TP ? (and lets face it he's a well known TP Character)

Who cares it was a throw away remark - if you want to make a federal case out of it that's your problem. - the core point was if Toadstool wants an Edinburgh film meet, there's nowt stopping him/her organising one.

Both members on TP ? (and lets face it he's a well known TP Character)

Who cares it was a throw away remark - if you want to make a federal case out of it that's your problem. - the core point was if Toadstool wants an Edinburgh film meet, there's nowt stopping him/her organising one.

EH? what's all that about, this is a nice thread chat no need for that

Nothing to stop anyone organising a film meet in their own back yard, we need new places to go.

Shame I'm running out of usable weekends or I'd try to organise one up here before Christmas

Well it's certainly a good idea, a meet would be ace we'll all have to get some dates/places together and see what we can come up with....Toni if you read this you can still hide behind me!:LOL:

We have discussed an Edinburgh meet a couple of times and I think we should definitely sort one out, possibly in the Spring. And we'll have no talk of being too shy to attend. I can guarantee that if you come along you will enjoy it and find everyone who attends is kind, softly-spoken, incredibly good looking and immensely talented but humble.:LOL:

If you're going to have an Edinburgh meeting, I think it's only fair to suggest an Isle of Wight one just to redress the balance!

Steve.

So I'm thinking an f&c summer tour, Isle of Wight, Edinburgh and Devon. Sounds like a cunning plan to me (y)

Can you include Essex in the tour schedule? :rolleyes:
Let's all sod off to Amsterdam instead :cool:
Nothing stopping anybody organising a film meet, if you want a meet local to you just organise it, just make sure you give people enough notice and if possible make it accessible by train if you can (y)

Southern Spain is nice this time of year ;)

Granada :love:

Nothing stopping anybody organising a film meet, if you want a meet local to you just organise it, just make sure you give people enough notice and if possible make it accessible by train if you can (y)

Boo :p I can't organise one cause I can't guarantee I'll be able to squash the nerves :eek:ops: One day :boxer:

Boo :p I can't organise one cause I can't guarantee I'll be able to squash the nerves :eek:ops: One day :boxer:

"I refer the honourable member to the answer Mr Snap gave some moments ago?"

...I can guarantee that if you come along you will enjoy it and find everyone who attends is kind, softly-spoken, incredibly good looking and immensely talented but humble.:LOL:

I think we should all just pitch up on Asha's doorstep...

(though, i'd probably have the bike with me, rather than the film kit :LOL:)

I think we should all just pitch up on Asha's doorstep...

(though, i'd probably have the bike with me, rather than the film kit :LOL:)
F&C coach trip to the Cote D'azure, it would have be an old rickety bus though, preferably with a mobile darkroom at the back:LOL:

Last edited:
Back