Insomnia.

Well the coffee/whisky combo worked... or that is normally the sort of time I drop off anyway....

Dull and miserable here today, hope Somerset is a bit better.

Damp, chilly and overcast. Being on the Mendip Hills we seem to have our own micro-climate so it can get warm and sunny quickly.

Big change from London. The only traffic jam in the village when the bus stops to pick someone up. That said the run down into Bath or Bristol can (sometimes) be a grind but nothing like the Seven Sisters Road from Tottenham to Finsbury Park thence into Camden..... 17 years since I needed to do that journey daily for a year.

The way to test the coffee/whiskey combo is to try it randomly over the next 3 years. If the results are inconclusive or offer patcht trends then increase the ratio of whiskey to coffee and try exta tests in a shorter timespan. At some point in time the intervals/whiskey ratios and work appointments will no longer matter..... sleeping problem - sorted

Reactions: Yv
And another night .... Sleepless in Somerset..

Catch up time on the threads.

Watching TV and enjoying a slow Malt whiskey for my cold that came on yesterday am

Would love a malt but number one grandson is now awake and I don't think his mother would appreciate me being under the influence whilst in charge of the toddler tear away.....lol

A very sensible approach.

I just made do with a fried egg sandwich and a pot of tea.

I slept well once I eventually nodded off.
Epic dreams though.

Where did the night go? Fell asleep at ten and have slept right through until 5.......whoop!

Where did the night go? Fell asleep at ten and have slept right through until 5.......whoop!

Wondered where you were!

Found a bag of marsallows - just do not work when dipped in Brandy...... None left.

Had a lousy night last night, 4 hrs max and a stressful day.
Well hoping to sleep tonight - just off to bed after having a rare couple of beers, a couple of Whiskeys and a couple of sleeping pills washed down with drinking chocolate.
If that doesn't make me sleep there is no hope

I made the mistake of going to bed this evening to sweat out the last of my head cold. Actually fell asleep.... just woke so a long night ahead :-(

Good luck if you cannot sleep.

Steve

So I am wide awake again.....but did get five hours of broken sleep.....head feels like it is stuffed with cotton wool......

Managed about 1 hr sleep and 4 chapters of my audio book.

Just come down for water and will try again - thank heaven I no longer have work

It's getting so bad the dog is pished with me for disturbing her

Managed about 1 hr sleep and 4 chapters of my audio book.

Just come down for water and will try again - thank heaven I no longer have work

It's getting so bad the dog is pished with me for disturbing her

The saving grace for me is, limd you, I no longer work but take on the odd project. (Normally reviewing other people's work.

I am concerned for those in the workplace who are now going to have to work till they are 70 to get a state pension and will struggle with the top up workers pension to ensure a basic lifestyle in retirement, would give anyone sleepless nights. I will be 60 next year and the thought of another 10 years of having to work to get my pension and suffering insomnia would send me insane. I am used to broken sleep but have always found ways to top up my rest.

My major problem is that my mind is racing and there are so many projects I would like to get on with but my eyes are so sore I am unable to read or comfortably see the monitor.

Must be the brandy then Whisky didn't work for me last night:(

I have just been watching this TTC - Secrets of Sleep Science From Dreams to Disorders 24 half hour lectures. The first 5 mins of lecture 1 are scary but overall very interesting.

well now this is unusual.... I am here at a silly hour having already had 7 hours [albeit rather broken] sleep! :wideyed:

No surprise but I have been watching old DVDs as again no real sleep....

Watched a real mad film which some may never have seen

'What's new Pussycat' with Peter O'Toole, Peter Sellers, Woody Allen. Absolute mayhem.

Steve

I admit I MUCH prefer insomnia this way round these days. I've always been a night owl but would prefer to go to sleep early [you know, midnightish] and wake early, it frustrates me far less and I love the peace and quiet of the house at this time of the day, even the cats haven't properly woken up yet, it is utter bliss.

I have tried watching films but I am really not a film person, I think I must have a very low attention span for stuff that requires me to be fairly inactive, so generally have a load a short programs recorded on the sky box, or have iPlayer or similar on computer, but right now, just peace and quiet and some product shots I am editing.

I did a few edits last night but couldn't really concentrate as a family issue popped up earlier.

Aiming to get into Bath about 7pm as the Christmas Market was opened yesterday and the lights were officially switched on. As usual the place was rammed, and will be till it closes. The later point in the evening is good for night time 'street' pictures but have to say CSC cameras come into their own, high ISO, and expect crowds. The market is bigger this year.

The Bath market can be mental... the food huts and stalls really add to the mix. Smells fantastic.

Hopefully the rain will hold off.

The place is busy most times of the year.

Sounds wonderful. My favourite market is on London's Southbank, well ok, behind it really. They have a Food market there at weekends, a mix of produce and loads of hot ready to eat stuff, a proper assault on the senses kind of place and far nicer food than my more local Camden Lock. I am guessing the German Christmas Market is now also open on the SouthBank proper too though i have done that so many times... I did Birmingham a couple of years ago whilst playing taxi for daughter & bf who had tickets for a show there, so spent several happy hours walking through the city centre and back again. Manchester a year or two before that as some of my family are still up there, but never headed south west to any. I was asked this week to pop along to local one-off christmas food market on Sunday but I am already booked to shoot a christmas fair for the Mayhew, the charity I do stuff for, though I looking at the timings, I might be able to sneak both in if I can avoid the Nth Circ getting between the two of them, we'll see ;)

I used to do loads of tge London street markets

I worked Brixton when I was 12 till 16 but ended up in East Street (locally East Lane) in Walworth. until Unj.

Crossed the TlRiver to Kentish Town so Camden Road and the Lock was my haunt for a while till Chingford and Walthamstow Market. Miss the fruit of the Cypriot Shops from Manor House to Turnpike Lane on Sunday mornings. The bakeries too!

Still miss the buzz of London. In the early 60s I lived in Camberwell and could walk to the Surrey Docks and the canal. Was still wrecked from WW2. On then to the Oval where I watched the cricket from my bedroom window. (1963-68).Saturday morning our little gang went to Lambeth Walk for Tizer floats in the Italian Cafe..... So still clear in the memory! Linked London by it's markets.

It possibly isn't what it was, or so I am told, only been here 10 years myself and I love having that buzz just down the road, but also old enough to be a bit tired of the daily grind of it too. We will move outside M25 in the not too distant future, but not TOO far away, I will need to be able get back in when the desire gets too strong and i need a city kick [or a day at Lord's]. Still a few markets I need to visit too. ;)

Sounds wonderful. My favourite market is on London's Southbank, well ok, behind it really.

Would that be Borough or Maltsby market you are talking off.....personally I prefer Maltsby as it has a few salvage and vintage shops, it is really small but the food Is define

Would that be Borough or Maltsby market you are talking off.....personally I prefer Maltsby as it has a few salvage and vintage shops, it is really small but the food Is define

No, although Borough is good. The one I mean is behind festival hall sort of area. You know where the bridge out of charing cross meets the southbank, and the two footbridges either side, the ones I can never remember the name of. if you head down the steps [east side] that take you behind the restaurants instead of onto the river path, its just there at the bottom of the steps on the left. I think its only there at weekends but definitely worth a visit if you happen to be at Waterloo Station and that area at any point. Not massive but they have packed a lot stalls into a small area.

A lot changed which meant I gladly took the opportunity to move down to Somerset.

Glad I starved the family and kept the house in London as a pension item. Was hard at first but my business was flourishing and my kids loved the outdoors.

I still do an odd run to London as a sole trader consultant but having sold up it is only a while before the calls cease and my aim was to retire early.

Long since given up driving to London. Unusual route. South West Trains direct Bath Spa to Waterloo then a bus over the bridge to Holborn

Overall less crowded, 35 minutes longer door to door, no Underground and I arrive fresh. It's cheaper too. 09.05 out and any Waterloo to Salisbury service change onto Cardiff train and all donem Just before 7pm there's a direct service to Bristol via Bath so stay on the train at Salisbury. So London gets my company and I still drag my camera along.

Last edited:
No, although Borough is good. The one I mean is behind festival hall sort of area. You know where the bridge out of charing cross meets the southbank, and the two footbridges either side, the ones I can never remember the name of. if you head down the steps [east side] that take you behind the restaurants instead of onto the river path, its just there at the bottom of the steps on the left. I think its only there at weekends but definitely worth a visit if you happen to be at Waterloo Station and that area at any point. Not massive but they have packed a lot stalls into a small area.

Along Stamford Street SE1? Coin Street market

Last edited:
Right found it, its The Real Food Market, Southbank Centre, Belvedere Rd, London SE1 8XX - quite literally next to festival hall.

http://www.realfoodfestival.co.uk/market/

Like I say not huge but if you love food... ;)

Got you

I have seen it but not been. Will remedy that

There is an area further down Stamford Street by the Coin Street development that has some interesting restaurants. Not needed to go into Southwark for a few years but that was an interesing place to eat.

Steve

Got you

I have seen it but not been. Will remedy that

There is an area further down Stamford Street by the Coin Street development that has some interesting restaurants. Not needed to go into Southwark for a few years but that was an interesing place to eat.

Steve

Will have a look at those, I regularly meet up with another photographer/TP member for dinner and we are always looking for places to try out that are relatively easy for both of us public transport wise. Anything that can start by landing at Waterloo is always good. Thanks for that tip.

Back