Instagram - what a nightmare!

It does seem possible to upload photos from Safari on an iPad.

PNG image.jpg

So if you go to Safari on a Mac, tick “show develop menu in menu bar”, go to instagram.com, go to Develop in the menu bar and then “User Agent”, then select iPhone, it is possible to upload from Safari on a Mac. I think. I tried it all but didn’t actually post a photo.

Last edited:
If you don't get on with the workarounds, everything would probably be a lot easier if you had a cheap Android phone or tablet so you could use the mobile app. You can still keep your existing phone and don't need another SIM - just use the smartphone or tablet on wifi.

Why would someone who uses a real camera with knobs on want to join a social media site designed specifically for people who take photographs with telephones?
I’ve started sharing images on Instagram this year. Part of the reasoning is the wider audience than the usual photographyer orientated social media. Flickr is good but it’s only other photographers so a huge audience is missed. Facebook is ok but they limit the number of followers of a page who see a new post (something like 10%-20% of followers actually see a new post). Quite like twitter too as it’s more than just image sharing social media.

I get that Instagram was originally for mobile photography sharing but times have moved on and it’s now an image sharing platform in its own right.

Last edited:
If you don't get on with the workarounds, everything would probably be a lot easier if you had a cheap Android phone or tablet so you could use the mobile app. You can still keep your existing phone and don't need another SIM - just use the smartphone or tablet on wifi.

This.

It would seem for about £100 I can get a thingy to do it with - and just plug it into my computer and drag the few pictures I am going to upload. Start all over again with a mobile whatsit of some sort......the computer method still won't work for me. A friend is coming round to help me do it - it isn't obvious, regardless of what you iPhone generation think.

It would seem for about £100 I can get a thingy to do it with - and just plug it into my computer and drag the few pictures I am going to upload. Start all over again with a mobile whatsit of some sort......the computer method still won't work for me. A friend is coming round to help me do it - it isn't obvious, regardless of what you iPhone generation think.

I am 54 next month. It is the simplest thing.

The last thing I want is wedding bookings thanks!
This thread has really made me chuckle - thank you all :D

I joined instagram years ago but have only recently started using it. I enjoy looking at everyone else's photos. It has definitely moved on from people recording a few shots of their day on their phones. it seems people can't lift your photos too easily either.

You really don't need a £100 thingy. What browser are you using? Just search the browser extensions for something suitable.

Last edited:
Only it doesn't. For one thing the 'inspect' panel comes up along the bottom and there is no icon anything like the one he clicks to put the buttons on the bottom. My cursor remains the arrow thing too. I have tried each icon on the panel in turn and refreshed and none of them put those controls on the Instagram page on my computer. I might ask him if he knows how to do it for Windows 7.

Well it actually worked for me and I'm using Win 7 in a VM.

A bit of a pain at first but no doubt I'll get used to it and now I can spread my pics far and wide! :LOL:

I now have 2 pics on my Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/hurwood2002/

EDIT: That method also works in Opera too.

Last edited:
Not sure if I am missing something but.......

I edit my pictures in lightroom classic on my laptop and I create a collection for any I may want to share on social media or show to people (iPad Pro is great for this, really easy and great quality)

When they have syynched I just use my iPad or iPhone to upload them direct to Instagram or Facebook or twitter etc (or any of them of course)

I'm up and running!
A friend has given me their old Samsung s4, and helped me set up an account. I can plug the phone in, put prepped pics on it and upload! BUT, what a bloody palaver. All the links and passwords and crap you have to go through.
TOP TIP to anyone new to all this (me) - write down your passwords somewhere, in a book, so you can refer to it. By the time we came to do stage 2, I had forgotten the password I used to make the Gmail account or whatever it was we did.....it is so convoluted I can't actually remember what we went through. I do know I had a headache at the endof it from the various stages.

Anyway, now I am Instagrammed I won't have to go through it all again. Oh, and don't try ringing the phone - I am sticking with my little Nokia for making phone calls!

To be fair, Instagram is a bit s*** for photo sharing. However the rest of the world uses it, so what you going to do ?

Yup. It's 90% people sharing s***ty images of their breakfast plastered with their horrible filters accompanied by a hundred hash-tags :rolleyes: Or companies advertising their crap products, adding hundreds of random people per hour who add back of course, because it's all about popularity. It is no better than Facebook [who now own it btw] - Lord knows why anyone defends it. But if you need to get attention for business or whatever, you kind of have to. Photos look s***e on there, it's probably the worst platform for photography it just happens to be one of the most popular.

Also no, phones are not real cameras, they are phone that just happen to have cameras.

I do have a Windows computer, I have a new one with Windows 7, I have just got it. I can't seem to work out how you get the Windows Store though.

Windows 7 was superseeded by Windows 8 six years ago (wasn't an improvement to be honest) and Windows 10 came out three years ago, which is the current version. Someone is having a laugh at your expense if they sold you a new computer with Windows 7 on it.

Windows 8 was where the windows store was introduced.

Windows 7 was superseeded by Windows 8 six years ago (wasn't an improvement to be honest) and Windows 10 came out three years ago, which is the current version. Someone is having a laugh at your expense if they sold you a new computer with Windows 7 on it.

Windows 8 was where the windows store was introduced.

Windows 7 is what I needed, my programs are not supported after windows 7. I am not buying new programs, nor am I being milked by the 'subscription only' programs (lightroom etc). They are robbing gits.

I'm up and running!
A friend has given me their old Samsung s4, and helped me set up an account. I can plug the phone in, put prepped pics on it and upload! BUT, what a bloody palaver. All the links and passwords and crap you have to go through.
TOP TIP to anyone new to all this (me) - write down your passwords somewhere, in a book, so you can refer to it. By the time we came to do stage 2, I had forgotten the password I used to make the Gmail account or whatever it was we did.....it is so convoluted I can't actually remember what we went through. I do know I had a headache at the endof it from the various stages.

Anyway, now I am Instagrammed I won't have to go through it all again. Oh, and don't try ringing the phone - I am sticking with my little Nokia for making phone calls!

Sorry to sound harsh, but I have no sympathy for those that can’t be bothered to remember their passwords.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I have no sympathy for those that can’t be bothered to remember their passwords.
Any password you can remember is insecure. Password manager is the way to go.

My method is foolproof - I don't bother to remember them and don't use password managers either - if they get hacked they have the keys of the kingdom - although LastPass is supposedly excellent.

A lot of sites are also bad at passwords - Amazon for instance only has a 16 character limit which is not very good.

Talk Photography on the other hand accepts 64 bits which is excellent - mine is 64 bits! :)

Good luck cracking that!

My method is foolproof - I don't bother to remember them and don't use password managers either - if they get hacked they have the keys of the kingdom - although LastPass is supposedly excellent.

A lot of sites are also bad at passwords - Amazon for instance only has a 16 character limit which is not very good.

Talk Photography on the other hand accepts 64 bits which is excellent - mine is 64 bits! :)

Good luck cracking that!
My Amazon pwd is more that 16 characters. I agree that lots of sites are hopeless. Some will apparently accept long pwds but the truncate them to 8 or 11 behind the scenes so when you go to enter your pwd it is rejected — password manager pays off here as you know it’s not your memory or typing that’s at fault. 2FA for important sites covers the remote possibility of your password manager being hacked — though it’s yet to be shown how 1Password can be hacked.

Edit for typo, bloody spillchucker :mad:

Last edited:

BOTHERED to remember - or incapable? Not everyone has a good memory you know. That is why I write them down. I have to do the same with my pin number, however wrong it is - I have to look it up every time.

Well, I read it and he is advocating long alphanumeric + symbols and using a password manager :( . I think the most important step is, as @neil_g says, is to use a different pwd for every site.
In that article he suggests either a password manager (he has written one himself) or the low-tech option of just writing it down and securing the paper he has been suggesting for years. But his idea of a password manager is a rigorously vetted application with local storage, rather than a cloud-based service like 1Password's most recent incarnation, where you have to trust the company to store your passwords securely on their servers. Writing them down is fine if the list actually is in a secure place, rather than on a Post-it note stuck to the side of your monitor at work. :)

But his idea of a password manager is a rigorously vetted application with local storage, rather than a cloud-based service like 1Password's most recent incarnation, where you have to trust the company to store your passwords securely on their servers.
Just a quick FYI...apologies, it doesn't add to the OP or password discussion, but in the interest of accuracy...

1Password can still be purchased as a non-subscription license and used purely with local storage - ie. no cloud syncing. (I'm currently using their latest version 7.2)

1Password strongly pushes you towards a subscription and syncing via their servers as they believe it's the best solution for most 'average/non-techie' users, but it's still fully supported to alternatively use (or a mix of) local storage, WLAN Server sync, Dropbox sync or iCloud sync.

I have no sympathy for those that can’t be bothered to remember their passwords.

Thats a very narrow way of looking at it. Some people have physical or mental issues which may have an effect on their memory process, or they may have been born with disabilities or suffer from strokes. The side effects of some medications can make some aspects of brain activity slow. Doctors will also tell you that very high stress levels can effect memory processes.

Maybe don't assume people are lazy or stupid.

Aside from that, some of the tones on this thread towards someone trying to learn something new are very high handed, superior and unpleasant. I presume some posters were just born knowing how to do everything perfectly first time.

Last edited:
Just a quick FYI...apologies, it doesn't add to the OP or password discussion, but in the interest of accuracy...

1Password can still be purchased as a non-subscription license and used purely with local storage - ie. no cloud syncing. (I'm currently using their latest version 7.2)

1Password strongly pushes you towards a subscription and syncing via their servers as they believe it's the best solution for most 'average/non-techie' users, but it's still fully supported to alternatively use (or a mix of) local storage, WLAN Server sync, Dropbox sync or iCloud sync.

Though in the interests of cynicism, one might wonder if they are strongly pushing you towards a subscription because they believe it's the best solution for their cashflow (like a certain image editing software company that might be mentioned). Some people really aren't terribly pleased about their recent shift in business model:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/...nse-local-storage-monthly-cloud-subscription/

You can buy brand new PCs with Windows 7 installed?

Though in the interests of cynicism, one might wonder if they are strongly pushing you towards a subscription because they believe it's the best solution for their cashflow (like a certain image editing software company that might be mentioned). Some people really aren't terribly pleased about their recent shift in business model:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/...nse-local-storage-monthly-cloud-subscription/
Amazing, some ignorant person on the internet is not pleased :) . How have 1Password betrayed users when you can still keep going with the local version? I have been using and paying for 1Password since V2 and always found them the most reliable and transparent of suppliers of software.

Amazing, some ignorant person on the internet is not pleased :) . How have 1Password betrayed users when you can still keep going with the local version? I have been using and paying for 1Password since V2 and always found them the most reliable and transparent of suppliers of software.
That's just a random example - rather a lot of people on the Internet aren't pleased, ignorant or otherwise, just as when Adobe moved to a cloud subscription. And transparent? Looking at their website, I can't immediately tell that anything other than a subscription service exists (though it's good to know the standalone version still works, however well hidden the details are - the pricing page doesn't even mention this option).

Back