joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
have a read of this, it is very good

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2010/archives/8285

Kelby refers to many of the people who are dissing the iPad as feature counters. I couldn't agree more and when you read through the thread that was posted on here a few days ago all the same people who had negative things to say also come across as feature counters, it doesn't have this and it doesn't have that as Kelby says in this blog regarding the iPhone:

"Of course, everything they said was missing from the iPhone was true, and you could buy phones all day long that were cheaper, had physical keyboards, longer battery life, voice control, and so on. But the iPhone didn’t become a success because of what it does. It because a success because of how it does it. People who only look at feature lists always, always, miss this. It’s not about features, or the iPhone would never have made it."

the same will apply to the iPad and all you feature counters are going to eat your words !!!

EDIT: also read this hilarious reply to some comments, it's spot on!

maybe. but the iphone is the first proper convergence device. the ipad is niche, and whilst I love how it looks, I can't see a place for it in my life. If i were a train commuter, it'd be superb. But it can't fit in my pocket. My iPhone can. It goes everywhere with me. When I get home, I still use it or maybe my macbook if I want a faster, larger experience.

Somehow I don't see the iPad taking off like the iPhone has.

i am an apple freak, iphone mac. love them to bits, the thing that is not sitting right with me is the size of it. it is like a prop from one of those comedies that uses adults to play kids, all the props are three times the size. the ipad just does not look right to me.

as said it will be one of those cult things but not to me at this moment in time.

not after seeing the newspaper style ones that are being developed, look like newspaper and bend and flop about like a magazine.

so i dont think i will be jumping to ipad purchase yet.

maybe. but the iphone is the first proper convergence device. the ipad is niche, and whilst I love how it looks, I can't see a place for it in my life. If i were a train commuter, it'd be superb. But it can't fit in my pocket. My iPhone can. It goes everywhere with me. When I get home, I still use it or maybe my macbook if I want a faster, larger experience.

Somehow I don't see the iPad taking off like the iPhone has.

I bet people 3 years ago said:

"Somehow I don't see the iPhone taking off like the iPod has"

and look where we are now. I think as it develops and unique apps are built on it that would be unusable on the iPhone because of it's size you'll see more people become swayed.

why are you trying to force your opinion on people?

I'm not going to respond to this bait because I'd like to try and keep this thread on topic unlike the last one which spiraled out of control (I was one of the people who contributed to it's spiraling, so will try and keep this one on topic)

well probably, but couldn't (and still don't) see the point of those either

well for a lot of people who want all the stuff an iphone has but don't need a phone they were great. I had one and sold it to buy an iPhone cos I thought I needed a phone too but I work from home and have in 7 months spent just £40 on credit I now realise I should have just stuck with my Touch instead.

It did everything my iPhone does except make calls and text which I rarely ever do.

I'm not going to respond to this bait because I'd like to try and keep this thread on topic unlike the last one which spiraled out of control (I was one of the people who contributed to it's spiraling, so will try and keep this one on topic)

wasnt a bait, just interested why youre really that bothered what other people think of the device.. but like you say lets stick to the topic.

It's loungeware ...

Most of my at-home-surfing is done with my iphone, even though I have a Macbook in the next room (office) I can't be bothered using it in the other rooms, it's too much of a lump. The iPad looks perfect to me for casual forum browsing and email when I'm relaxing.

It's loungeware ...

Most of my at-home-surfing is done with my iphone, even though I have a Macbook in the next room (office) I can't be bothered using it in the other rooms, it's too much of a lump. The iPad looks perfect to me for casual forum browsing and email when I'm relaxing.

same as me, my macbook isn't even in a different room, it's just about out of arms reach, but it's the effort of getting it making sure it has more than 2 hours of charge otherwise plugging it in, having to hold it on my legs and getting a hot groin, and waiting for it to boot that makes the pad appeal more

Rofl, his response to the haters is absolutely priceless. :)

Rofl, his response to the haters is absolutely priceless. :)

it really is, I love his categorising of people:

1) apple haters
2) people who defend apple no matter what they do
3) everyone else

I also think the usb ports are too close together on my macbook, I had to buy a different USB key cos it wouldn't fit when I used my mouse at the same time!

Been thinking loads about this since the last time, still keen on getting one. Just wish it looked more like the HP slate...

Can we not just concentrate on the features or the device, as this will get locked as will every other thread. Talk about the product and lets not decend into he loves it he hates, etc, etc. I am just curious of price next. Will be interesting to see. Will wait for the launch apps to see what it is truely capable as the big iphone blah blah blah is just getting boring now.

Can we not just concentrate on the features or the device, as this will get locked as will every other thread. Talk about the product and lets not decend into he loves it he hates, etc, etc. I am just curious of price next. Will be interesting to see. Will wait for the launch apps to see what it is truely capable as the big iphone blah blah blah is just getting boring now.

I would be happy to spend £300, cautiously willing to spend £400, ****ed off but willing at £500...

Gary.

I love that... loungeware! I still think I'd prefer a laptop though... as good as the touch keyboard on the iPhone is, assuming its the same on the iPad, touch typing on a real keyboard is always going to be faster. When I know I'm going to type a lot of stuff, the iPhone gets put to one side. I imagine the same would be true of the iPad.

I love that... loungeware! I still think I'd prefer a laptop though... as good as the touch keyboard on the iPhone is, assuming its the same on the iPad, touch typing on a real keyboard is always going to be faster. When I know I'm going to type a lot of stuff, the iPhone gets put to one side. I imagine the same would be true of the iPad.

It's definitely not foe typing lots, just little buts like what I am typing here on my iPhone. It's for Reading, browsing, watching

Well I watched the ipad launch and I think it looks great, although I agree with those who think there's nothing really revolutionary in it. I got the distinct impression from the launch that Steve Jobs is aiming this device squarely at the lucrative ebook market. For anyone considering an ebook the ipad fills the bill and offers so much more, admittedly at a price, but I can see it taking off on that alone.

I believe existing ebooks 'proper' don't have any screen back light, while the ipad does. Anyone have any thoughts on how that might affect the reading experience?

It's definitely not foe typing lots, just little buts like what I am typing here on my iPhone. It's for Reading, browsing, watching

Which is precisely why I don't think it will be the runaway success that the iPhone was/is. As I said, its niche. Reading/Browsing/Watching is niche. The iPhone got it right in almost every area. For the first time you could have your phone, texts, a full web browser (none of the old WAP nonsense), music, videos, email, calendar all in one device, in your pocket! That was nothing short of a revelation. In many ways, it still is the convergence device to beat. But the iPad isn't ground breaking like the iPhone was.

Which is precisely why I don't think it will be the runaway success that the iPhone was/is. As I said, its niche. Reading/Browsing/Watching is niche. The iPhone got it right in almost every area. For the first time you could have your phone, texts, a full web browser (none of the old WAP nonsense), music, videos, email, calendar all in one device, in your pocket! That was nothing short of a revelation. In many ways, it still is the convergence device to beat. But the iPad isn't ground breaking like the iPhone was.

I would say it is niche too but the watching,viewing Reading part is most people not a select few. The niche part is doing all that on this device and not others.

The niche is big though and I hope you have a good hat to eat when they sell millions!!!

Jose, I don't think anyone has said it won't sell well. Just that some can't see the advantages of the device for them yet. I am sure some will be proven wrong, others not, but there is no need to tell people what to think.

But the point is for some there will never be any advantages with it. It's not a product designed for everyone, when it sells millions it will still be useless to many people. It's like in that blog, it's not made for everyone

Just remember:

the world don't beat to the sound of just one drum, what might be right for you may not be right for some!

feature counting or not everyone is entitled to an opinion though, for a lot of people the ipad is lacking.

Yeah but how many of these people have actually seen an iPad let alone used one? I'm not prepared to rubbish a device I really know little about.

After spending 25 years in hi-tec design & marketing I understand that things aren't bought on features, it's what it does that is important.

as the classic saying goes

"you don't want to buy a drill, what you really want is a hole"

The current revision of the iPad just doesn't compete with my Acer netbook except on thickness & multitouch, I'll have to borrow one when it hits the UK & see if it sells itself to me :(

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the other three, or was it four tablets announced in the last couple of weeks. Being Apple it'll obviously attract a lot more media attention than the others such as Dell. Myself I'd never by choice touch(!) anything with a touch screen having very greasy fingers.

After spending 25 years in hi-tec design & marketing I understand that things aren't bought on features, it's what it does that is important.

as the classic saying goes

"you don't want to buy a drill, what you really want is a hole"

The current revision of the iPad just doesn't compete with my Acer netbook except on thickness & multitouch, I'll have to borrow one when it hits the UK & see if it sells itself to me :(

and likely ease of use.

But the point is for some there will never be any advantages with it. It's not a product designed for everyone, when it sells millions it will still be useless to many people. It's like in that blog, it's not made for everyone

I agree that I did wonder what the apple was doing making a phone. Yet it was really popular- why was that? In my opinion it was because everybody has a mobile phone, lots also have an ipod. Well, combine a phone and an ipod and you get the iphone. It didn't cost that much outright- making more out of the contract (which many people already had).

The iPad on the other hand, in my opinion, doesn't fill a need that currently exists. Who knows, it might "make" a new place to sit between the netbook and the laptop. What really annoys me about Steve Jobs/Apple, is the way that they rubbish netbooks for their lack of power and they release this ipad with even less?

I agree that I did wonder what the apple was doing making a phone. Yet it was really popular- why was that? In my opinion it was because everybody has a mobile phone, lots also have an ipod. Well, combine a phone and an ipod and you get the iphone. It didn't cost that much outright- making more out of the contract (which many people already had).

The iPad on the other hand, in my opinion, doesn't fill a need that currently exists. Who knows, it might "make" a new place to sit between the netbook and the laptop. What really annoys me about Steve Jobs/Apple, is the way that they rubbish netbooks for their lack of power and they release this ipad with even less?

Was it the lack of power that they rubbished? I thought he just said that netbooks didn't make checking emails, browsing, photos etc easier.

Back