Interesting blog about the iPad

I think it must be very disappointing for those expecting an apple netbook.
If I didn't have a netbook, maybe the ipad would be worth a look, but apple have missed that boat.
Maybe there is a gap in the market between a phone and a netbook :shrug:
I expect sales of the ipad would be impacted by the availability of a loungeware machine with netbook functionality.
And there in possibly lies the marketing/profit strategy....

I'm pretty interested in this to be honest. It would solve quite a few issues for me. I'm just waiting to see if it has MS Exchange synch before deciding one way or the other.

I wonder how many people who own an iphone will buy an ipad as well?

I think it must be very disappointing for those expecting an apple netbook.
If I didn't have a netbook, maybe the ipad would be worth a look, but apple have missed that boat.
Maybe there is a gap in the market between a phone and a netbook :shrug:
I expect sales of the ipad would be impacted by the availability of a loungeware machine with netbook functionality.
And there in possibly lies the marketing/profit strategy....

Really whats the difference between a laptop and a netbook - size and weight. Apple already have the macbook air - why would they just want to make an even smaller macbook? I think it would have been pretty pointless.

I think the iPad is designed to meet the following needs:

browsing web
reading email
watching movies
browsing photos
playing games
reading books

With the exception of web browsing it does all of the above much better than a netbook does. The web browsing is let down by the omission of flash.

Do people really just want a netbook that you can touch it's screen? I don't think that would have been any more revolutionary than the iPad has been. Which is not really revolutionary at all. Instead it's an extension, an evolution of the already revolutionary ipod touch/iPhone

Really whats the difference between a laptop and a netbook - size and weight. Apple already have the macbook air - why would they just want to make an even smaller macbook? I think it would have been pretty pointless.

browsing web
reading email
watching movies
browsing photos
playing games
reading books

With the exception of web browsing it does all of the above much better than a netbook does. The web browsing is let down by the omission of flash.

Do people really just want a netbook that you can touch it's screen? I don't think that would have been any more revolutionary than the iPad has been. Which is not really revolutionary at all. Instead it's an extension, an evolution of the already revolutionary ipod touch/iPhone

I kind of agree with this, but just think to myself "Imagine the spec you could get in a netbook for £500!", because $500 WILL mean £500 over here.

Also, Susan Boyle and Westlife sell millions of records but that doesn't make them good, it makes them popular.;)
Which, of course, the ipad will be, maybe due to hype, maybe not. Only time will tell.

I kind of agree with this, but just think to myself "Imagine the spec you could get in a netbook for £500!", because $500 WILL mean £500 over here.

Also, Susan Boyle and Westlife sell millions of records but that doesn't make them good, it makes them popular.;)
Which, of course, the ipad will be, maybe due to hype, maybe not. Only time will tell.

But then that makes you a feature counter as mentioned in the original blog. If you compare the specs for the price.

You have to look instead at whats more enjoyable an experience. All I'll use the iPad for is the above mentioned tasks, now do I care that a netbook can do more for the same price - no because I don't want to do those things. What I want is the best way of doing the things I do want to do, and for that you pay the extra or you settle for a less enjoyable way of doing them and pay less.

But then that makes you a feature counter as mentioned in the original blog. If you compare the specs for the price.

You have to look instead at whats more enjoyable an experience. All I'll use the iPad for is the above mentioned tasks, now do I care that a netbook can do more for the same price - no because I don't want to do those things. What I want is the best way of doing the things I do want to do, and for that you pay the extra or you settle for a less enjoyable way of doing them and pay less.

Fair enough, but I see being a "feature counter" as a good thing. Horses for courses.
Both ways are a compromise and it boils down to style or substance, neither being right or wrong as they are just personal opinions.

I could go with that, I dunno how I'd go on with a 13.3 inch screen laptop balanced on the arm of a chair cos a 15 inch viao is decidedly dodgy, but the air isn't that much bigger than a 10 inch netbook I suppose.

browsing web
reading email
watching movies
browsing photos
playing games
reading books

You're doing that fact/opinion confusion thing again...:LOL:

I'm not sure how comfortable or convenient to operate the ipad is going to be, I mean, you don't hold a netbook, its self supporting, you don't need to touch the screen either, the mouse is a bit naff but still, you have to hold the ipad like a book or a phone all the time you are using it, or its on a flat surface at an awkward angle...I dunno...:shrug:

browsing web
reading email
watching movies
browsing photos
playing games
reading books

To do any of this, you need to hold the screen, I don't want to hold the screen for a 2 hour movie- that's insane. Yes, there will be a dock to do it for me, but I won't want to take that on an airplane- or in the back of a car etc. That's why I like a netbook compared to the ipad (just to start with......)

you have to hold the ipad like a book or a phone all the time you are using it
Like a phone? How big are your hands?!!? ;)

I bet people 3 years ago said:

"Somehow I don't see the iPhone taking off like the iPod has"

and look where we are now. I think as it develops and unique apps are built on it that would be unusable on the iPhone because of it's size you'll see more people become swayed.

The iPhone hasn't taken off like the iPod did. The iPhone is still only the 3th best selling smartphone OS on the market after symbian and Blackberry with Android gaining on it heavily.

Anyway this thread is just another one to try and wind people up so tbh it should just be locked like the other one, we're just going to argue over exactly the same points again and again. Flash, closed system, etc, etc. :bonk:

Can we not just concentrate on the features or the device./QUOTE]

What features?

I'll be buying it, but only to use as a portfolio presentation tool. Other than that I'm not sure what else I could do with it. Even my iPhone works as a great presentation device.

Like I stated in the other thread, I will get the Modbook because that does what I want. If the iPad has the features you want then you get it, if it does not then you don't rather simple really.

FOR ME....

The iPad is just a giant iPod touch without the iPhone's advantage of portability. It runs iPhone OS not OSX as apple like to say. IT will not do what I want which is to run MacOS.

BUT !!!

There is one possible thing that people have not thought about and that is virtualising. There are a few apps which allow you to remotely connect to your MacOS computer either over wireless networking or 3G using your iPod touch/iPhone. Now with an app like that which is set for the larger screen you will be able to pick up your iPad and connect to your desktop computer which you can then use as you like without software licensing problems, storage, syncing etc etc because technically you are just using the iPad as a dumb terminal. So there is some hope in using it for MacOS that way. Personally the modbook still wins out BUT it is also twice as expensive.

Even my iPhone works as a great presentation device.
Except for the teeny tiny screen. :)

Which was the reason I never went for an iPod touch.

Well I watched the ipad launch and I think it looks great, although I agree with those who think there's nothing really revolutionary in it. I got the distinct impression from the launch that Steve Jobs is aiming this device squarely at the lucrative ebook market. For anyone considering an ebook the ipad fills the bill and offers so much more, admittedly at a price, but I can see it taking off on that alone.

I believe existing ebooks 'proper' don't have any screen back light, while the ipad does. Anyone have any thoughts on how that might affect the reading experience?

The reason all e-book readers don't have backlights is because the glare is supposed to cause headaches and it reduces the battery need massively. E-book readers will easily last a week or two of a few hours reading a day, the iPad won't in the slightest. The glare becomes an issue too for those that have headache issues. As an ebook reader this to me is a massive step backwards which is why I am so miffef as to why people keep thinking it is going to be so good. The only benefit over a laptop for example is the lack of keyboard, whereas there are loads of benefits for an ebook reader.

Yeah but how many of these people have actually seen an iPad let alone used one? I'm not prepared to rubbish a device I really know little about.

You can however make some assumptions.

For example if a new 60D came put without a manual setting, RAW ability or removeable memory card slots you would probably go "WTF!". There are some things you can tell before you get to see the product in the flesh. The 70D may have sublime IQ (like i'm sure the iPad will have excellent UI and be fluid etc) but with those features lacking you can make your mind up as to whether the device could be ok for you.

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the other three, or was it four tablets announced in the last couple of weeks. Being Apple it'll obviously attract a lot more media attention than the others such as Dell. Myself I'd never by choice touch(!) anything with a touch screen having very greasy fingers.

There are at least a dozen shown at CES, at least 3 apparently with Windows (as seen in the speech by the microsoft CEO) and at least half a dozen Android devices. It's really frustrating that there is such little detail about them, especially the Windows devices.

You're doing that fact/opinion confusion thing again...:LOL:

well it is fact.

Show me how many steps on a netbook it takes and how it takes to power it up, go to the pictures folder, view your images full screen and turn it into a slideshow?

The ipad will do it quicker and with far fewer steps.

That is a fact which means it is easier, thats not opinion

To do any of this, you need to hold the screen, I don't want to hold the screen for a 2 hour movie- that's insane. Yes, there will be a dock to do it for me, but I won't want to take that on an airplane- or in the back of a car etc. That's why I like a netbook compared to the ipad (just to start with......)

I do this with my iPhone for two hours, it's no biggy

The iPhone hasn't taken off like the iPod did. The iPhone is still only the 3th best selling smartphone OS on the market after symbian and Blackberry with Android gaining on it heavily.

Anyway this thread is just another one to try and wind people up so tbh it should just be locked like the other one, we're just going to argue over exactly the same points again and again. Flash, closed system, etc, etc. :bonk:

You are the only one getting wound up, take a chill pill. The other thread was locked because it went off topic.

The reason all e-book readers don't have backlights is because the glare is supposed to cause headaches and it reduces the battery need massively. E-book readers will easily last a week or two of a few hours reading a day, the iPad won't in the slightest. The glare becomes an issue too for those that have headache issues. As an ebook reader this to me is a massive step backwards which is why I am so miffef as to why people keep thinking it is going to be so good. The only benefit over a laptop for example is the lack of keyboard, whereas there are loads of benefits for an ebook reader.

but those same people have no problem staring at a monitor for 8 hours a day?

FOR ME....

The iPad is just a giant iPod touch without the iPhone's advantage of portability. It runs iPhone OS not OSX as apple like to say. IT will not do what I want which is to run MacOS.

but to some the iPhone has a disadvantage that this fills, the size. Portable is great but small screen is bad. One mans ying is another mans yang

well it is fact.

Show me how many steps on a netbook it takes and how it takes to power it up, go to the pictures folder, view your images full screen and turn it into a slideshow?

The ipad will do it quicker and with far fewer steps.

That is a fact which means it is easier, thats not opinion

I press the power button on my laptop, wait a second or two and type my password (which I don't have to have), then click the photos shortcut then click the photo I want... So that's 3 "clicks" and around 10 seconds to get to enlarged photos... Slideshow is one more click, but the increase in size is negligable.

For the iPad you will need to "turn it on", go to photos and click the photo you want, oh look, 3 clicks too...:p

but those same people have no problem staring at a monitor for 8 hours a day?

For work no apparently, but how many people do you see reading books on screens? E-books exploded when e-ink screens appeared.

I press the power button on my laptop, wait a second or two and type my password (which I don't have to have), then click the photos shortcut then click the photo I want... So that's 3 "clicks" and around 10 seconds to get to enlarged photos... Slideshow is one more click, but the increase in size is negligable.

For the iPad you will need to "turn it on", go to photos and click the photo you want, oh look, 3 clicks too...:p

For work no apparently, but how many people do you see reading books on screens? E-books exploded when e-ink screens appeared.

You forgot about the part where you have to move your trackpad 4 times, this in itself is easier with a touch screen. How about zooming in and out and not doing so in stages defined by your software by using keyboard shortcuts, I mean full manual control of zoom

you can't argue that this will all be easier with a netbook. You are counting clicks I'm talking about ease of use

but to some the iPhone has a disadvantage that this fills, the size. Portable is great but small screen is bad. One mans ying is another mans yang

Thats why I said "FOR ME" in capitals ;)

"Referring to some major innovations like web browsers, email and instant messaging, he added that Apple could easily block in favour of developing a competing product or simply limiting new ideas."

Only for software developed for the iPad though, theres nothing stopping innovation of software developers for any other kind of tablet that comes out that isn't made by apple.

Plus the iPad isn't going to stop people using and making laptops and desktops even Macintosh ones, and all of them will still flourish with 3rd party apps.

sounds like people making a mountain out of a molehill to me

Show me how many steps it takes for an iPad to display the RAW files from a Canon 7D and how many shots can be stored for the slideshow

AND

without having to buy more Apple hardware

:)

Joe, I don't want to be rude but you're coming across as the love child of an Apple Fanboy & a Forum Troll :LOL:

"Referring to some major innovations like web browsers, email and instant messaging, he added that Apple could easily block in favour of developing a competing product or simply limiting new ideas."

Only for software developed for the iPad though, theres nothing stopping innovation of software developers for any other kind of tablet that comes out that isn't made by apple.

Plus the iPad isn't going to stop people using and making laptops and desktops even Macintosh ones, and all of them will still flourish with 3rd party apps.

sounds like people making a mountain out of a molehill to me

If it was Microsoft we'd all be up in arms. I can't wait for the other tablets to come out. Especially any running Windows 7 in some form or another. I think then people will realize just what Apple are doing. They know they can get away with it because people will still buy, just because it's a Mac. I'm typing this to you on a MacBook Pro and I've got an iPhone to the left of me. But I really think the iPad is going to be major fail.

A pple aren't stupid. There is a reason why they don't have Flash support on their portable devices. They want people to buy apps through the app store and not play Flash games for free on a web site like Jib Jab. The funniest thing is though that you can now publish iPhone apps from Adobe CS5. A pple are none to happy about that.

They want people to buy apps through the app store and not play Flash games for free on a web site like Jib Jab.
The biggest complaint about lack of flash was not games. It was streaming multimedia through sites like Youtube, Vimeo, Hulu (for peeps in the US).

Show me how many steps it takes for an iPad to display the RAW files from a Canon 7D and how many shots can be stored for the slideshow

AND

without having to buy more Apple hardware

:)

Joe, I don't want to be rude but you're coming across as the love child of an Apple Fanboy & a Forum Troll :LOL:

Lol, I love it when people say "I don't mean to be rude but ..." and then follow with something rude.

Now there's no doubt that a netbook will do that better but therein lies my point. The iPad isn't designed to be good at EVERYTHING it is designed to be very good at SOME things. And that's where it makes more sense than a netbook. You are feature counting like described in the blog.

If all I want to do is the aforementioned things then the iPad is a better choice. If I want more like something you described then it's not the right tool.

If it was Microsoft we'd all be up in arms. I can't wait for the other tablets to come out. Especially any running Windows 7 in some form or another. I think then people will realize just what Apple are doing. They know they can get away with it because people will still buy, just because it's a Mac. I'm typing this to you on a MacBook Pro and I've got an iPhone to the left of me. But I really think the iPad is going to be major fail.

You reckon? If in a years time you are wrong can I say "I told you so?"

well until you can multi task on it, all it will be will be a big iPhone you can't make calls on

I find that mindbogglingly short sighted. The fact that the screen is MUCH bigger, even if there are no other differences, makes this device substantially different with regard to the software that can be written for it.

What is it that Apple are 'doing'?

The one thing I'm very curious about is the iPads weight, I hold my iPhone above me whilst laid down watching a movie in bed. I'm assuming I can do this with the iPad instead and that's a big appeal

but I'm now wondering what it weighs and will it be light enough to do this. Hopefully so as that's a big use for me

Lol, I love it when people say "I don't mean to be rude but ..." and then follow with something rude.

I was going to put :razz: but thought that would be a bit strong ;)

The one thing I'm very curious about is the iPads weight, I hold my iPhone above me whilst laid down watching a movie in bed. I'm assuming I can do this with the iPad instead and that's a big appeal

but I'm now wondering what it weighs and will it be light enough to do this. Hopefully so as that's a big use for me

This is a bit that worries me as well, I'm so used to having a horizontal control surface & a vertical viewing area I'm not sure how to use the iPad. I could cope with browsing but I'm not sure about holding the iPad for 2 hours while watching a film.

If it is released with a stand I could imagine it as an excellent cooking aid & brilliant for watching TV in the bath (y)

Back