weekly inView’s ( aka Scott) 52 thread 2022 week 45 Snappers Choice

Not processed any pics yet but a few ideas bubbling away for week 1 but will post one of my ideas in a wee while and hope I can pull off the other idea over the weekend. Not gonna lie, no idea at all about the technique though ……..

Hi Scott welcome to your 52, try not to worry about the Tech as you have till the end of next month to get it done.
Not worried, just as photographers we try and not move with the camera….. seems weird doing it deliberately lol

New (snowfall) idea for WK1

Greeted with some snow this morning so it was new for the year, seems a logical idea to me, not quite as happy with the composition but what do you expect from a prodominately sports photographer lol

wk1-1.jpg

That works really nicely. The mono makes it cleaner, stripping it down to just the tones. I don't think there's much wrong with the composition either really, except for the fact that the top of the tree is clipped (but that's just a personal thing).

Second thought for New ...... decisions decisions.

New ( Jersey )

wk1-2.jpg

I like both images Scott but I like the first better. My only observation would be that would have been better if you had caught the top of the tree. A good start to the challenge.

^^^ What Bill said. Still a ncie shot though.

TBH I don't mind the tree being cropped, it gets rid of the sky ;)
In shot #2 though, cropping mid way through the shoes doesn't (for me) work, I may have instagram cropped it to 4x3 so that the crop was mid thigh.

Thanks all, I would have loved to get the whole tree in but don’t have a wide enough lens lol. Yeh the crop annoys me on both images but that’s why I’m doing this for the critique and to get better (y)

I really like the first image. I like the contrast and you've caught some nice detail in the snow. Interesting sky too. I think the diagonal line running through the composition works. You could have taken a couple of steps back (but not if you land in a stream!), or tilted the camera and lost a bit of foreground to gain the tree, but still a very nice shot.

I like the processing of the snow image... nice and crisp. I agree that it would be improved by the inclusion of the tree top.

Like the mono. For me the composition makes me feel I'm sliding sideways.

I like the snow image better, so nice sharp detail, the sky looks interesting at the right hand side, Maybe including the top of tree would show more interesting clouds there, but thats a judgement only you could have made at the time.

wk2-1.jpg

wk2-2.jpg

Couple of options on this weeks theme, too much foliage on reflection as you can't make out the ........ whatever the hell kinda crane it used to be.
Thoughts on these one folks

First one for me, don't think the mono does anything for the second one other than camoflage the crane. But the first one's colour really pops among the nature trying to reclaim it. Also, the diagonal of the track which you don't see at first really makes the image more dynamic.

First one for me, don't think the mono does anything for the second one other than camoflage the crane. But the first one's colour really pops among the nature trying to reclaim it. Also, the diagonal of the track which you don't see at first really makes the image more dynamic.
I tend to agree in this case, and I love a b&w pic. Thanks

Preferred the length of this pic, although I find the bush distracting I thought this suits the theme

wk2-1.jpg

The crane is certainly old but I think that all of the shrubbery is too distracting. Did you consider just doing a closeup of one rusted out part? And then adding this image to provide context?

When the first two takes on this crane were posted, I wondered what the colour version of the longer one would look like - now I know! IMO the brambles etc. add a sense of abandonment to the shot.

You've chosen the right one. Colour highlights all that rust that says OLD.
First would have done the job too.

It certainly fits the old theme. Personally I would have gone with the first image and, perhaps, even a tighter crop. I like the mix of colour and rust.

First shot for me, but they all work well.
The first one focuses on the subject more, whilst the second shows more general decay in the surrounding area, which of course increases the sense of “old”.

I'm assuming this is for 'old'.
Please don't forget to include the theme (and tech if applicable) in the main thread.

I think I would have plumped for the 1st of the three shots. I quite like the mix of red, yellow and green (as well as the rust) that you caught in that shot.

thanks for all the comments all, I also find the bush a bit too distracting but preferred the more rustic look of the crane from this angle, the 1st seemed too cramped and when trying closer shots never gave, for me, the sense of scale and abandonment. I will go back to this at one time and try some of the ideas again as this place was a goldmine of rust and scrap

So this weeks theme kinda screamed Chemex to me, maybe my coffee addiction Im not sure but hadn't brought out the flash's for ages and hadn't done any since purchase of the Z6II so ideal opportunity to try some.

Was torn on landscape or Portrait but decided I preferred portrait even with all the dead space above, only regret is I couldn't get any steam to show and not sure about the space between mug and Chemex........ not sure my wife would want me to take over the kitchen again for a reshoot lol
Great theme.

wk3-1.jpg

wk3-2.jpg

I prefer the portrait shot too. Lovely rich colours and the inclusion of the beans and bag make all the difference (I wouldn't think of that).

Regarding the capture of the steam, I played around a few years back with smoke from a joss stick. That seemed to need light from behind or the side to bring it out.

Beautiful shot of your Chemex Scott, well lit and well composed. I think that I prefer the portrait orientation but I think that I would have cropped a little more of the top off.

Always good to have another coffee snob in the group! I'm an Aeropress guy myself.

I love the Roundhill roastery from your part of the world and am just finishing off a bag of Square Mile (with mixed results).

Both are great shots and both work, although I prefer the portrait one but would have cropped off the top a little more.

I think I prefer the portrait shot, though they both work. The colours are nice and the background works well.
many thanks, its amazing how this shot actually started to how it ended background wise. I was going to go for a mustard colour but hated the wrinkles lol

I prefer the portrait shot too. Lovely rich colours and the inclusion of the beans and bag make all the difference (I wouldn't think of that).

Regarding the capture of the steam, I played around a few years back with smoke from a joss stick. That seemed to need light from behind or the side to bring it out.
Many thanks, I run out of flash guns, I only own 2 and both were being used or else would have back lit for steam. I do have some steam in there but so faint.
Beautiful shot of your Chemex Scott, well lit and well composed. I think that I prefer the portrait orientation but I think that I would have cropped a little more of the top off.

Always good to have another coffee snob in the group! I'm an Aeropress guy myself.

I love the Roundhill roastery from your part of the world and am just finishing off a bag of Square Mile (with mixed results).
Many thanks, Ah a fellow coffee fan, I tend to use Foundry Roast and Union but I will use any light roast that’s a bit unusual normally espresso based drinks but have a V60, chemex and of course the aeropress that’s used at work all the time.
Both are great shots and both work, although I prefer the portrait one but would have cropped off the top a little more.
many thanks.

Ironically I have since posted this to instagram and did take a bit of the top and it does look a bit better, although I’m never scared of a bit dead space……… I get told of a LOT about it

I actually prefer the landscape shot, good setup I like how you've scattered the beans around the cup. Don't know how you would go about capturing the steam but if you have a vape maybe that would help?

Back