Review iPad Review & TP Update Thread

Saweeeet! Didnt know you could use a non iphone to do it too!

Cheers matey (y)

Is it possible to hook your iPhone up to it and use it as the 3G connection? Do you have to pay the mobile provided for this service?

Simon

I don't have an iphone but I have heard that apple restrict the use of iphone has a tethering device for ipad...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/08/no_ipad_tethering/

FYI - while I am saying that you CAN definitely use a google nexus one and a nokia n95 8gb and a mifi because of the personal experience of myself and some friends I am not saying this will continue to work for ever... Apple COULD conceivably update the ipad with the mac address ranges of every mobile type device and block the ipad from connecting to them as wireless access points. However, I feel this is extremely unlikely - but obviously offer no guarantees :)

I would definitely have bought the next iphone.. 100%.. were it NOT for the above. With Apples stupid lock-down of tethering I will instead go for an Android phone... way to lose a customer Apple. /facepalm

Cheers dubcat, I knew you used to be able to hook up your iPhone to your laptop and use it this way as I was offered this when I bought my iPhone, but it was going to cost another £10 a month.

Simon

Ah yes - what a rip off... well with the platforms i described (n95, android and mifi) there is no additional cost as the ipad doesn't distinguish them from any normal wifi router.. and the phone doesn't distinguish the ipad from any other pc or whatever...

Like i said though - they could change that if they really wanted to...

Quick update - I am still hooked on it. This is one of the best purchases I have ever made :) bear in mind i never had an iPhone though so I may just be enjoying what many of you have enjoyed already.

My god - app store is so addictive. Installed two more paid apps today. Tried the free versions for all of 30 seconds first lol.

IM+ - i really recommend this one if you are going to use the ipad for instant messenger. Even though ipad isn't currently multi-tasking (until 4.0) this app lets you close it down but you still get messages as popups when you are using other apps. You can connect to loads of networks at the same time. I am connected to twitter, facebook chat, windows live messenger, google talk and skype messenger and it works BRILLILANTLY. Well worth it. Main reason for me going to the paid version is that with the free one the messages popping when you have switched apps only losts for 2 hours. With the paid one its 7 days :)

Air Video - this one just plain rocks. I have a huge divx collection and while i did convert some to mp4 to keep on my ipad i have loads i can't be bothered to convert. Air Video converts them on the fly. I browse my pc's video directory, simply choose the video i want to watch, and the server side of this app just converts as it streams to my ipad. The quality is brilliant and the app is dirty cheap!

Couple of new ones from me - Time App - read and buy the latest editions of Time Magazine.

TOG RELATED - Digital Photographer have got their own app - you get the latest edition free and buy them thereafter.

Magazines look AWESOME on the iPad screen. :)

I placed an order for mine lastnight, I just couldn't stand you guys showing off with yours anylonger! :) I've bought the 32gig wifi, camera connection kit and the Apple case.

I was also just reading on the Terry White Blog that Adobe lightroom just sees the iPad as another storage device and imports your new photos as if it was reading them from the camera memory card!

Simon

Anyone notice Jake Humphries clutching his ipad on the BBC Formula 1 coverage?

Seems like the perfect use of one tbh - I expect to see more and more appearing on news coverage.

Has anybody tried conecting their iPad to 3G using a phone as a WiFi access point ?

It would save me buying the 3G version & another network tariff :)

Just felt like quouting myself :wave:

I had a play with an iPad last night & I'm currently underwhelmed, I just don't like the 'feel' of it . The back is too curved & slippy, infact I nearly dropped it (my friend went white :D)

BUT

I can confirm that a HD2 mobile phone can be used as a 3G- WiFi access point for the iPad, it works well :)

I'm still trying to justify getting one! Having read all the posts on here now, I'm still no closer to a decision. :thinking:
I have an Imac and Iphone at the mo, but can't really see what exactly I would do with an Ipad! :shrug:
I know they are maybe just a sexy gadget, but an expensive toy all the same. What can I do on an Ipad that I can't currently do on my Iphone and Imac??:shrug:

PLEASE someone convince me it's a good idea to get one!!! (y)

My big love at the mo is magazines and ebooks. Yes you can get cheaper ebook readers but the display, picture res and interaction (link to online content etc) is unparalleled. It is a walkabout useable all rounder.

Dithering doesn't compute here... :cautious:

You want something shiny new and gadgey... :thinking: ...go get it... :shrug: ...or be forever in no-man's land wondering what it would be like to have and to hold and to love and to cherish and slobbering over everyone else's... :naughty:

You can always flog it for not much less than you paid for it if you REALLY can't live with it... :D :D :D

:p

I've added a little bit of info about the FilterStorm iPad App and an updated video on my blog, if people are interested?

Simon

Awesome!! :clap:

Get posting with updates on here as soon as it arrives?

Just had an email that mine has now shipped :love::love::love:

Is this a UK iPad?

Prices at my part of the world are a bit too high right now, compared to what they actually sell for at Apple USA. I'm hoping that by the time they're rolled out in other parts of the worlds then grey-market prices comes down to something a bit more realistic; otherwise, I haven't any idea when they're officially being launched here :shrug:

iBooks is now out!

Edit - And iWork!

Last edited:
A couple of questions Oh Ipaders

How readable is a full page PDF file

and

Can you open/edit MS Word 97-2003 docs with any of the iPad apps ?

I've googled but I'd prefer to hear a TPF perspective ;)

PDF - no problems at all. Performance varies in speed dependent on resolution of photos/graphics.

Will test out word doc ;)

Yep - pages will open .doc and edit. It recognises them direct from email and can export back to .doc format. Only issue I can see is that it replaced times new roman font. Superb interface - very similar look to word!

Flipping HECK it is good. Even handles graphics and pictures without screwing up layout!

Last edited:
PDF - no problems at all. Performance varies in speed dependent on resolution of photos/graphics.

Will test out word doc ;)

Yep - pages will open .doc and edit. It recognises them direct from email and can export back to .doc format. Only issue I can see is that it replaced times new roman font. Superb interface - very similar look to word!

Flipping HECK it is good. Even handles graphics and pictures without screwing up layout!

Thanks Oh Right One ;)

I suggested you get goodreader. It's awesome for PDF. I've been using keynote, it's not bad but it doesn't import a lot of ppt features properly.

Back