iPhone 7

My iPhone 4 did slow down a bit for the first few OS updates, but as it is no longer supported this is less important. Just fewer apps work.

I like the idea that the new lightning pods are included and also the rumoured dongle. All good and I think I'll go with the the 7. I see the 6s is £499 for the base 32gb version though.

Damn you apple. Love the new phone but find the plus too big but really like the new camera on that one!!!

I think it's got to be the 7 for my wife and a 7 plus for me. It is a much better upgrade than I expected. Like the jet black most on reflection.

I think it's got to be the 7 for my wife and a 7 plus for me. It is a much better upgrade than I expected. Like the jet black most on reflection.

Reflection being the operative word! Think I'm going silver.

The iPhone 7 Plus is £719 for 32GB, £819 for 128GB and £919 for 256GB. Ouch.

Am I missing something. The iPhone upgrade programme seems excellent value for money. 0% APR, upgrade every 12 months or keep after 24 months and Apple Care+ is included. So basically a saving of £119 compared to buying it outright. Or have I got this wrong?

Am I missing something. The iPhone upgrade programme seems excellent value for money. 0% APR, upgrade every 12 months or keep after 24 months and Apple Care+ is included. So basically a saving of £119 compared to buying it outright. Or have I got this wrong?

£49 up front. Plus i guess you give the phone back on 12 months so have nothing to show for it so to speak?

Definitely getting the watch, new ear buds...

£49 up front. Plus i guess you give the phone back on 12 months so have nothing to show for it so to speak?

Definitely getting the watch, new ear buds...
True you have nothing to show for it. But in 12 months you've only paid half of it. So wouldn't that be the same like selling it but without the hassle. A reason I never sold my phones.

Main drawback I see is that I can't pass them on to my daughter.

I cant see anything on it that makes me want to rush to buy it, still happy having moved to android fro what I do.
Brave move ditching the headphone socket, but that gives them the opportunity to sell more accessories or licence the connectors use.
Plenty of choices for apple lovers to part with their money though.

I cant see anything on it that makes me want to rush to buy it, still happy having moved to android fro what I do.
Brave move ditching the headphone socket, but that gives them the opportunity to sell more accessories or licence the connectors use.
Plenty of choices for apple lovers to part with their money though.

I'm looking forward to using the new camera trickery of the 7 Plus.

I like the look of the camera tech in the 7+, I also like the fact they bundled a 3.5mm adapter.

Other than that it was all a bit mediocre. Crafty move removing the 64gb version making people bump up to the 128gb. And those prices.... ouch.

I like the look of the camera tech in the 7+, I also like the fact they bundled a 3.5mm adapter.

Other than that it was all a bit mediocre. Crafty move removing the 64gb version making people bump up to the 128gb. And those prices.... ouch.

Would have been better to have been 64 rather than 32 IMO. Most new launches will simply have a better screen, camera and processor. My only gripe is the better camera is only in the plus which I am not keen on due to size.

Still running sub 1080p on the 4.7.. I know the screens are very good and you'll be hard pushed to notice especially as 1080p on he plus looks hardly any different from a pixel perspective to the 1440p android units however any 1080p content or 4K content has no direct pixel to pixel viewing which is my only gripe with the smaller phones for the last couple of generations. Even the SE could have done with 720p

no 1080 display in the non+ either. who does that these days.

regarding size, you do quickly get used to it. when I moved from my 5S to my OnePlus One and then Three (which is roughly the same size as the +'s) I quickly adapted. Using my OH iPhone 5 is now ridiculous because it feels so small.

no 1080 display in the non+ either. who does that these days.

regarding size, you do quickly get used to it. when I moved from my 5S to my OnePlus One and then Three (which is roughly the same size as the +'s) I quickly adapted. Using my OH iPhone 5 is now ridiculous because it feels so small.
I know right! Most advanced iPhone ever, most advanced spec, features blah blah.. Oh Apple.

Damn you apple. Love the new phone but find the plus too big but really like the new camera on that one!!!

I'm in the same boat, I've had the 6 plus for 2 years and was going to go down the 4.7" route this time. I'd like to have the portrait mode, however, like many of us, The iPhone 7 plus wouldn't be the best camera I own. I often have my camera with me, so, I think I just talked myself into the smaller phone.

Thanks!

The prices are ouch, but if you compare it to say the closest competitors Samsung S7 Edge / Samsung Note 7 I'd say the pricing is as good as the same.

Still cant add additional storage? Is this still an oversight? I've 85Gb of Memory map OS maps on mine android on the SD card, plus divert the photos and podcasts onto it (although I've only the 32Gb S5)

Still cant add additional storage? Is this still an oversight? I've 85Gb of Memory map OS maps on mine android on the SD card, plus divert the photos and podcasts onto it (although I've only the 32Gb S5)

I have over 14,000 songs in my iTunes. The vast majority on not stored on the onboard memory of my iPhone but in the cloud. No need to have a huge onboard memory nowadays. My iPhone 6 is the 64GB model and I haven't got close to filling that up.

Last edited:
Couldn't see the point (for me) in the old Apple Watch, now absolutely must have the Apple Watch Series 2! Not requiring my phone on runs to use stuff like GPS and Zombies Run will be fantastic.

Shame there was no Macbook Pro announcement though, well overdue.

I have over 14,000 songs in my iTunes. The vast majority on not stored on the onboard memory of my iPhone but in the cloud. No need to have a huge onboard memory nowadays. My iPhone 6 is the 64GB model and I haven't got closed to filling that up.

Having OS maps on a large bright screen is very useful to me, especially in places where you have poor coverage, or dont want to pay your provider large monthly sums to download/access the cloud.

Larger camera spec, larger files, SD card inclusion would add extra capabilities, buu I guess Apple want to sell their internal memory upgrade versions instead of a £20 128Gb sd card.

Having OS maps on a large bright screen is very useful to me, especially in places where you have poor coverage, or dont want to pay your provider large monthly sums to download/access the cloud.

Larger camera spec, larger files, SD card inclusion would add extra capabilities, buu I guess Apple want to sell their internal memory upgrade versions instead of a £20 128Gb sd card.

Ah fair enough. Maybe it's not the best phone for you then.

Still can't add additional storage? Is this still an oversight?

No, It's just apple being apple. They like to be in control and not allow for things like extra storage. They can't control the cheap card the user buys off eBay, which then corrupts and the user ends up giving Apple a bad rep for it.

As far as they're concerned, If you need more storage, you should get the option with the larger hard drive. Then at least it will be of good quality and won't fail. If you have 85Gb of maps on your device, you have the option of the 128 or 256Gb drives. You'll be paying a premium, but when you're at the top of a mountain with no signal and your £5 microSD card fails due to the cold, You'll be regretting not paying the extra for a built-in drive.

Not a huge fan of the upgrade program......
I've been buying second hand iPhone, 1 year after its release, since the very original iPhone 8 years ago. This would mean, like Tesla, they preserve their premium price and makes it rarer through the normal second market.

The phone looks great, I especially like the big.LITTLE A10 processor (finally!) and the non-mechanical home button. If I can't secure a reasonably priced 64GB 6s, I may upgrade my 5s to a brand new 7 on their finance. When iOS10 gets jailbroken though.

absolutely. and I think this is why the likes of OnePlus are thriving right now. £329 for their flagship with excellent specs and performance..
I was thinking about the OP3, but after the rubbish Wileyfox I was a little wary and went with a Samsung S7 Edge instead. The reputation for slow updates I was also not too keen about. Not sure whether it is true, but I wanted fingerprint reader, contactless payments, great battery life and a camera that is actually really good. In that sense I think there is little competition. But yes the OP3 looks pretty good as an outlier. Some of the other 'cheap' Chinese brands have gotten rather expensive when you want it all.

Not a huge fan of the upgrade program......
I've been buying second hand iPhone, 1 year after its release, since the very original iPhone 8 years ago. This would mean, like Tesla, they preserve their premium price and makes it rarer through the normal second market.

The phone looks great, I especially like the big.LITTLE A10 processor (finally!) and the non-mechanical home button. If I can't secure a reasonably priced 64GB 6s, I may upgrade my 5s to a brand new 7 on their finance. When iOS10 gets jailbroken though.
Wouldn't the upgrade programme be better than their normal finance options. I mean after 20 instalments it is yours, Apple Care+ is included, and APR is 0%.

The iPhone 7 Plus is £719 for 32GB, £819 for 128GB and £919 for 256GB. Ouch.

Jesus, that is expensive, even by their standards. I could buy and maintain a half decent used car for that kind of money - and it'll serve more purpose.

I'm no Apple fanboy, but even if I am, I simply wouldn't be able to afford the latest greatest iPhone given my current circumstances (I'm a home carer), instead I have to make do with owning a second hand Sony Android on PAYG simply for emergency purposes. But, I'll give Apple this; they do a superb job in playing that "I must have it!!" tune to appeal to the sheep amongst us. Even in the back of my mind, I was tempted for just a moment but easily snapped myself out of it - and so with that to mind, I shall wish them good luck . . . I think they are gonna need it given the ever growing competition.

Last edited:
Couldn't see the point (for me) in the old Apple Watch, now absolutely must have the Apple Watch Series 2! Not requiring my phone on runs to use stuff like GPS and Zombies Run will be fantastic.

Shame there was no Macbook Pro announcement though, well overdue.

A couple of my friends have the MOTO 360 watches which do the same (I think maybe only the sport has GPS, but I'm not sure) and they love them

Jesus, that is expensive, even by their standards. I could buy and maintain a half decent used car for that kind of money - and it'll serve more purpose.

I'm no Apple fanboy, but even if I am, I simply wouldn't be able to afford the latest greatest iPhone given my current circumstances (I'm a home carer), instead I have to make do with owning a second hand Sony Android on PAYG simply for emergency purposes. But, I'll give Apple this; they do a superb job in playing that "I must have it!!" tune to appeal to the sheep amongst us. Even in the back of my mind, I was tempted for just a moment but easily snapped myself out of it - and so with that to mind, I shall wish them good luck . . . I think they are gonna need it given the ever growing competition.
I recon you aren't the target audience for it ;)

Considering some of us easily utilise 25GB data on the phone, use it as the authentication mechanism for secure access to other systems, tether a laptop, book their business travel, pay underground, order Uber (others arrive), manage expenses, update project status and teams, etc and do that for say over at least 12 hours per day. Then it is actually a tiny expense to have a reliable tool. Then combine that with great customer service where there is nearly always a store nearby where the essential tool can be swapped in the unfortunate case it breaks then it is a premium worth paying. Although no different in price to other top of the range phones.

But I agree, I am sometimes surprised by how much money some who don't have such use cases at all are willing to pay. But each to their own, I'd never resort to calling them names for their own decisions on how they want to spend their money.

I'm definitely selling my Samsung S7 Edge and go back to an iPhone.

A couple of my friends have the MOTO 360 watches which do the same (I think maybe only the sport has GPS, but I'm not sure) and they love them
None of the Google Gear watches have NFC build in for payments. A key use case for me and what stopped me getting one to pair with my S7 Edge. And I think it is only the Samsung Gear 3 which can do swimming, but could stand corrected on that one. And Samsung doesn't even use Google Wear sigh.

I dropped my Samsung Note 5 so was really looking forward to the iPhone 7 as I fancied a move back to Apple. A few thoughts when compared to the S7 I'm also looking at.

1. Both waterproof. Absolutely bloody brilliant!
2. No expandable memory on the iPhone - sheer arrogance IMO.
3. Airbuds? They look like tampons and will set you back an extra £159. Crazy.
4. Both brilliant cameras, but I'm not getting the "1.8" buzz about the iPhone... The S6 is a few months old and has a brighter 1.7 lens.
5. Gutted they didn't include the dual lens in the standard iPhone7. The plus is too big IMO.
6. Samsung give you the option of a dual SIM or expandable memory.
7. the iPhone looks better, but who's not going to put their £700-£1000 phone in a £20 case?

Just seems to me that Samsung are innovating and throwing everything that they have at their customers. With iPhones you get the impression that Apple hold back on you after every single launch.

For me, the S7 is a better phone that I'd happily pay more than an iPhone for. It just happens to cost less!

Last edited:
No, It's just apple being apple. They like to be in control and not allow for things like extra storage. They can't control the cheap card the user buys off eBay, which then corrupts and the user ends up giving Apple a bad rep for it.

As far as they're concerned, If you need more storage, you should get the option with the larger hard drive. Then at least it will be of good quality and won't fail. If you have 85Gb of maps on your device, you have the option of the 128 or 256Gb drives. You'll be paying a premium, but when you're at the top of a mountain with no signal and your £5 microSD card fails due to the cold, You'll be regretting not paying the extra for a built-in drive.

Yup - thats along the lines of what I was thinking with Apple.
128gb card for £5? where can I get me one of those? The decent ones are about £45, and whats the difference with that failing to the internal memory?

Just need to stop calling these phones really. Phone use is minimal these days, portable computers more like :D

Yup - thats along the lines of what I was thinking with Apple.
128gb card for £5? where can I get me one of those? The decent ones are about £45, and whats the difference with that failing to the internal memory?

Just need to stop calling these phones really. Phone use is minimal these days, portable computers more like :D

I remember when the advertising for the Nokia N95 was "It's what computers have become" :D

I dropped my Samsung Note 5 so was really looking forward to the iPhone 7 as I fancied a move back to Apple. A few thoughts when compared to the S7.

1. Both waterproof. Absolutely bloody brilliant!
2. No expandable memory on the iPhone - sheer arrogance IMO.
3. Airbuds? They look like tampons and will set you back an extra £159. Crazy.
4. Both brilliant cameras, but I'm not getting the "1.8" buzz about the iPhone... The S6 is a few months old and has a brighter 1.7 lens.
5. Gutted they didn't include the dual lens in the standard iPhone7. The plus is too big IMO.
6. Samsung give you the option of a dual SIM or expandable memory.
7. the iPhone looks better, but who's not going to put their £700-£1000 phone in a £20 case?

Just seems to me that Samsung are innovating and throwing everything that they have at their customers. With iPhones you get the impression that Apple hold back on you after every single launch.

For me, the S7 is a better phone that I'd happily pay more than an iPhone for. It just happens to cost less!
I've used my S7 Edge for a while now, and whilst it is very good in many areas (camera, battery life to name two), I'm still battling with it many a time. Sure it is all software relate but to name some;
- Contacts: Google contact still gets double barrelled names mixed up and can't place them in the right place, I've also got a number of weirdly merged contacts all of a sudden. It was my bug bear in the past and it is still not as good and reliable.
- Keyboard: I get so many false spellings and it does this irritating thing that when you notice it is wrong and use backspace it then tries to predict only the last part of the word rather than the full word.
- The edge: Looks absolutely stunning, very comfortable to hold, but too often the side of a hand pushes something on the screen which makes the keyboard go unresponsive.
- Apps: Mail comes up with these bubbles on the side of the screen which again are being pushed, and facebook messenger also leaves these 'heads' on the screen. I find it all too busy like a user interface from a karaoke machine. It could be much more minimalistic for my liking.
- Themes: lots of themes great, haven't really find one that actually on the whole works well. I was optimistic when I noticed Material Design Black theme (black is good for battery life with OLED) but not consistently implemented, grouping of icons look rubbish etc. So the standard one is really the only realistic option.
- Split screen: Yes used it once, don't think I'll use it again on such a small screen

Now don't get me wrong, I am happy to keep it (unlike the Wileyfox rubbish) but I'm moving back to iOS.

Back