iPhone 7

None of the Google Gear watches have NFC build in for payments. A key use case for me and what stopped me getting one to pair with my S7 Edge. And I think it is only the Samsung Gear 3 which can do swimming, but could stand corrected on that one. And Samsung doesn't even use Google Wear sigh.

Yeah samsung has their own OS called Tizen I believe. I'm tempted by a MOTO watch, but I can't ever imagine using one to pay for things anyway tbh. Any time I'd want to, my phone and cards would be in my pocket anyway.

Yeah samsung has their own OS called Tizen I believe. I'm tempted by a MOTO watch, but I can't ever imagine using one to pay for things anyway tbh. Any time I'd want to, my phone and cards would be in my pocket anyway.
I guess it depends on where you move about. In London it is fantastic for public transport, and I don't like whipping out my phone all the time.

I dropped my Samsung Note 5 so was really looking forward to the iPhone 7 as I fancied a move back to Apple. A few thoughts when compared to the S7.

1. Both waterproof. Absolutely bloody brilliant!
2. No expandable memory on the iPhone - sheer arrogance IMO.
3. Airbuds? They look like tampons and will set you back an extra £159. Crazy.
4. Both brilliant cameras, but I'm not getting the "1.8" buzz about the iPhone... The S6 is a few months old and has a brighter 1.7 lens.
5. Gutted they didn't include the dual lens in the standard iPhone7. The plus is too big IMO.
6. Samsung give you the option of a dual SIM or expandable memory.
7. the iPhone looks better, but who's not going to put their £700-£1000 phone in a £20 case?

Just seems to me that Samsung are innovating and throwing everything that they have at their customers. With iPhones you get the impression that Apple hold back on you after every single launch.

For me, the S7 is a better phone that I'd happily pay more than an iPhone for. It just happens to cost less!

To be fair I think they are both pretty comparable now,

Apple finally have embraced waterproof and quad core.

Move to wireless headphones will appeal to the geek (sorry typical apple user) but other android phones have already got this feature. I'd expect some of the major players to produce alternatives, it's just it's another device to charge. Small portable usb additional battery anyone? Once there's a reasonable priced alternative I can see these taking off.

Cameras are generally ok on a phone, at times such as panoramic then they are great, other times still poor.

As for the price - there's plenty of people happy to pay this sort of money, with large monthly bills for the data rate to support. Its seen as an essential these days by some.

Slightly smaller screen, will appeal to those who think smartphones have got too large for the pocket. Is it really 12 hours average battery life?

I guess it depends on where you move about. In London it is fantastic for public transport, and I don't like whipping out my phone all the time.

Yeah, I can see why it's good for the tube etc :)

I've used my S7 Edge for a while now, and whilst it is very good in many areas (camera, battery life to name two), I'm still battling with it many a time. Sure it is all software relate but to name some;
- Contacts: Google contact still gets double barrelled names mixed up and can't place them in the right place, I've also got a number of weirdly merged contacts all of a sudden. It was my bug bear in the past and it is still not as good and reliable.
- Keyboard: I get so many false spellings and it does this irritating thing that when you notice it is wrong and use backspace it then tries to predict only the last part of the word rather than the full word.
- The edge: Looks absolutely stunning, very comfortable to hold, but too often the side of a hand pushes something on the screen which makes the keyboard go unresponsive.
- Apps: Mail comes up with these bubbles on the side of the screen which again are being pushed, and facebook messenger also leaves these 'heads' on the screen. I find it all too busy like a user interface from a karaoke machine. It could be much more minimalistic for my liking.
- Themes: lots of themes great, haven't really find one that actually on the whole works well. I was optimistic when I noticed Material Design Black theme (black is good for battery life with OLED) but not consistently implemented, grouping of icons look rubbish etc. So the standard one is really the only realistic option.
- Split screen: Yes used it once, don't think I'll use it again on such a small screen

Now don't get me wrong, I am happy to keep it (unlike the Wileyfox rubbish) but I'm moving back to iOS.

My Gmail app doesn't pop the heads up, and you can turn facebook messenger heads off, they do get in the way.

And install another keyboard? Swype is brilliant.

Move to wireless headphones will appeal to the geek (sorry typical apple user) but other android phones have already got this feature. I'd expect some of the major players to produce alternatives, it's just it's another device to charge.

I've been using wireless earbuds ever since I got my iPhone 6. I'd not go back to wired now.

To be fair I think they are both pretty comparable now,

Apple finally have embraced waterproof and quad core.

Move to wireless headphones will appeal to the geek (sorry typical apple user) but other android phones have already got this feature. I'd expect some of the major players to produce alternatives, it's just it's another device to charge. Small portable usb additional battery anyone? Once there's a reasonable priced alternative I can see these taking off.

Cameras are generally ok on a phone, at times such as panoramic then they are great, other times still poor.

As for the price - there's plenty of people happy to pay this sort of money, with large monthly bills for the data rate to support. Its seen as an essential these days by some.

Slightly smaller screen, will appeal to those who think smartphones have got too large for the pocket. Is it really 12 hours average battery life?

I've already got a couple of pairs of wireless (bluetooth) headphones, they sync instantly and the battery in the headphones (rather than the earphones) lasts ages. The new apple wireless headphones look just like the Samsung Onyx really, the Onyx is also a fitness tracker and has 4gb storage to store music on them, not sure how the air buds compare?

Both probably the same price though

I've already got a couple of pairs of wireless (bluetooth) headphones, they sync instantly and the battery in the headphones (rather than the earphones) lasts ages. The new apple wireless headphones look just like the Samsung Onyx really, the Onyx is also a fitness tracker and has 4gb storage to store music on them, not sure how the air buds compare?

Both probably the same price though

Double tap did sound a bit fitbit to me :D

I use some Plantronics wireless ones, they are a bit big, but noise cancelling works really well, and they sound fantastic. Not the most fashionable but really good as a headset.

I dropped my Samsung Note 5 so was really looking forward to the iPhone 7 as I fancied a move back to Apple. A few thoughts when compared to the S7 I'm also looking at.

1. Both waterproof. Absolutely bloody brilliant!
2. No expandable memory on the iPhone - sheer arrogance IMO.
3. Airbuds? They look like tampons and will set you back an extra £159. Crazy.
4. Both brilliant cameras, but I'm not getting the "1.8" buzz about the iPhone... The S6 is a few months old and has a brighter 1.7 lens.
5. Gutted they didn't include the dual lens in the standard iPhone7. The plus is too big IMO.
6. Samsung give you the option of a dual SIM or expandable memory.
7. the iPhone looks better, but who's not going to put their £700-£1000 phone in a £20 case?

Just seems to me that Samsung are innovating and throwing everything that they have at their customers. With iPhones you get the impression that Apple hold back on you after every single launch.

For me, the S7 is a better phone that I'd happily pay more than an iPhone for. It just happens to cost less!

For most people adding memory is not important. Also with the airbuds they look great but if you don't want to pay use the wired ones included.

Apple innovate more IMO - they created the market for the smartphone, tablet and now watch. What I like is not just the design but the fact everything just 'works'. When I had a work Samsung it drove me mad! Can you pay for shopping with your phone like Apple Pay?

For most people adding memory is not important. Also with the airbuds they look great but if you don't want to pay use the wired ones included.

Apple innovate more IMO - they created the market for the smartphone, tablet and now watch. What I like is not just the design but the fact everything just 'works'. When I had a work Samsung it drove me mad! Can you pay for shopping with your phone like Apple Pay?

I don't think apple innovate at all, there's not much they've actually invented.

But they put it all together very well, and they market better than pretty much anyone else.

I'm surprised by the airbuds, they look a bit naff, like wireless earphones, rather than buds, and the buds tend to give much better sound IMO. Or maybe they just fit my ears better than earphones. Apple's design is usually a lot better than that, what's with them still having stems?

By unanimous decision in the office, the airbuds look awful. a mix of it looking like some horrid Bluetooth hands free and like someone chopped the cable off your apple earbuds.

Also historically the Apple supplied buds have not been the best sounding. Also known for letting everyone around you hear your music too, very poor design. Do yourself a favour and buy some SoundMagic E10 for £15, or if you have a bit more cash the E50.

Also historically the Apple supplied buds have not been the best sounding. Also known for letting everyone around you hear your music too, very poor design. Do yourself a favour and buy some SoundMagic E10 for £15, or if you have a bit more cash the E50.

Every manufacturer is guilty of that though I've found.

I just have some cheapy wireless ones, Jam Audio Transit for the commute, they're good enough for the walk into the office, but I wouldn't want to sit and listen to them at home.

Agree with this, I know plenty of Businesses that wouldn't bat an eye lid at £60-£70 a month.

At my old job we used to travel abroad and often rack up £200 bills each month using data for maps etc, the company didn't care as it was an essential per of how we worked.

I am happy to be a generation or two behind, especially considering the difference between the models is becoming less and less noticeable.

Maybe its just me but the difference between the 3GS and the 4 seemed like night and day but the difference between a 5S and a 6, really didn't feel like a huge difference.

My 6s will be fine for another 18 months, I will then look to see what the best value for money deal is for around £30-£35 a months.

Am I missing something. The iPhone upgrade programme seems excellent value for money. 0% APR, upgrade every 12 months or keep after 24 months and Apple Care+ is included. So basically a saving of £119 compared to buying it outright. Or have I got this wrong?

You don't save a penny, unfortunately. Take for example a 32gb 7plus with Apple care - £719 + £119 = £838. The same phone on Apple finance is £49 deposit + £789(20x £39.45) = £838. You can also buy them on this scheme without the Apple care. At least the phone will be unlocked and you can use a low cost sim from the carrier of your choice.

I don't think apple innovate at all, there's not much they've actually invented.

But they put it all together very well, and they market better than pretty much anyone else.

I'm surprised by the airbuds, they look a bit naff, like wireless earphones, rather than buds, and the buds tend to give much better sound IMO. Or maybe they just fit my ears better than earphones. Apple's design is usually a lot better than that, what's with them still having stems?

Apple is like a cult, one which its members overlook the fact the next model is not much different but they are prepared to sell their kids to buy it.

The build quality is why I buy Apple stuff and the fact it works seamlessly together, I like the fact I have my icloud drive stuff accessible easily from each device.

I despise itunes, although it has got a smidge better but once I discovered walrt to copy stuff, I really have no issues now :)

I really wouldn't go back to android, how could I.....surely the cult would't let me leave?

Actually yes you can. Everywhere apple pay is accepted Google pay is as well :) it works very well in a similar way. I've also used it in Cyprus no problem.

By unanimous decision in the office, the airbuds look awful. a mix of it looking like some horrid Bluetooth hands free and like someone chopped the cable off your apple earbuds.

Other only hear the music if you don't insert them fully. When you fit them properly they are just fine.

Actually yes you can. Everywhere apple pay is accepted Google pay is as well :) it works very well in a similar way. I've also used it in Cyprus no problem.

Just doesn't seem to be that well publicised.

When you put them in the case they charge, so need space for all that I guess.

Just doesn't seem to be that well publicised.
The problem being who was first to market I guess ;) and not that many android models can do it unless you go high end and then you have the same cost as an iPhone.

You don't save a penny, unfortunately. Take for example a 32gb 7plus with Apple care - £719 + £119 = £838. The same phone on Apple finance is £49 deposit + £789(20x £39.45) = £838. You can also buy them on this scheme without the Apple care. At least the phone will be unlocked and you can use a low cost sim from the carrier of your choice.

I've bought several cars for less...
Then add the £20-35 a month tariff

Might start walking up to people on the train and ramming them into their ears then :D
LOL I'm with you on that one (y) And its not only the spill, they sounds terrible and lacking bass as well when they are half way in like that.

I've bought several cars for less...
Then add the £20-35 a month tariff
And I'm sure you and other have bought cars for a heck of a lot more ;)

One thing I really like about Apple as well is the battery life. Whilst my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is not bad at all, I'm not worried about a day at all, it will easily last a day. But only part of the second day. With my iPhone 6 Plus I could trust it to easily last two full days by the same usage. I cannot go away for the weekend without a charger unless I switch off most of the functionality of the device. They Wileyfox my daughter used to endure didn't even last a school day in her bag for most of the time. I'm glad she has my old iPhone 6 plus 128GB now.

I'd agree for most casual users, memory isn't important. But I've just had the 32GB Note 5 and filled up with memory with 1200 photos, a few videos and average amount of apps - Luckily I smashed my phone which forced me to look at something bigger, or with expandable memory.

I honestly don't know how anyone can praise Apple for being innovative in this day and age. Almost every single "feature" there phone has is already available on the market. How exactly is that innovative? What is it that they have announced today that isn't available on any other phone? Samsung have outgrown them in almost every regard. The difference is Apple are better at marketing their products via advertisements and celebrity endorsements.

As for the AirBuds looking great? Honestly - like I said, they look like tampons and are being ridiculed by every commentator going. Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong, they'll get the Kardashians to endorse them and they'll be uber-cool :eek:

Last edited:
I'd agree for most casual users, memory isn't important. But I've just had the 32GB Note 5 and filled up with memory with 1200 photos, a few videos and average amount of apps - Luckily I smashed my phone which forced me to look at something bigger, or with expandable memory.

I honestly don't know how anyone can praise Apple for being innovative in this day and age. Almost every single "feature" there phone has is already available on the market. How exactly is that innovative? What is it that they have announced today that isn't available on any other phone? Samsung have outgrown them in almost every regard. The difference is Apple are better at marketing their products via advertisements and celebrity endorsements.

As for the AirBuds looking great? Honestly - like I said, they look like tampons are being ridiculed by every commentator going. Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong, they'll get the Kardashians to endorse them and they'll be uber-cool :eek:

I don't think they look that bad. Certainly preferably to having wires all over the place.

Having 2 lenses on the camera I would say is innovative, so too is the portrait mode (yes, I know you can do this in editing but not as a 'ready made') - doing away with a headphone socket design that's been in use for 100 years or so is pretty innovative in my book too! 3d touch maybe unique (S7 doesn't have this?)

I don't think they look that bad. Certainly preferably to having wires all over the place.

Having 2 lenses on the camera I would say is innovative, so too is the portrait mode (yes, I know you can do this in editing but not as a 'ready made') - doing away with a headphone socket design that's been in use for 100 years or so is pretty innovative in my book too! 3d touch maybe unique (S7 doesn't have this?)

The LG G5 already has twin cameras.

Sorry I just think they look ridiculous. Literally like some ear buds with the wires chopped off.

As for the camera I agree. Those two lenses do look great, but like I said, it's a real shame they couldn't bring that to the standard 7!

Is the iPhone actually twin camera or is it twin lenses? From all the blurb it seems to not be able to do the zoom afterwards just before. I thought it is a twin lens setup instead of camera but can be wrong.

And I'm sure you and other have bought cars for a heck of a lot more ;)

One thing I really like about Apple as well is the battery life. Whilst my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is not bad at all, I'm not worried about a day at all, it will easily last a day. But only part of the second day. With my iPhone 6 Plus I could trust it to easily last two full days by the same usage. I cannot go away for the weekend without a charger unless I switch off most of the functionality of the device. They Wileyfox my daughter used to endure didn't even last a school day in her bag for most of the time. I'm glad she has my old iPhone 6 plus 128GB now.

Interesting I've an S5, my wife has an iphone 6. Both similar usage, both similar battery life (i.e. 40% left at the end of the day so needs to recharge overnight).
Bonus with the S5 is the wifi charging, I just place it on a pad overnight.

Is the iPhone actually twin camera or is it twin lenses? From all the blurb it seems to not be able to do the zoom afterwards just before. I thought it is a twin lens setup instead of camera but can be wrong.

Twin 12mp camera from what I've read, but only on the Plus version.

Interesting I've an S5, my wife has an iphone 6. Both similar usage, both similar battery life (i.e. 40% left at the end of the day so needs to recharge overnight).
Bonus with the S5 is the wifi charging, I just place it on a pad overnight.
True I've got a wireless fast charge dock for my S7 Edge, it is seriously quick and a very convenience way of charging. Also have one for my Nokia 930 :)

Damn I should sell some phones...

scary money for a phone and those airbuds

I'm old enough to remember when apples advertising was all about the wires ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Back