iphone OS 4.0 has multitasking

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
For all those people who bash the iphone and iPad because it doesn't have multi-tasking OS 4.0 just announced it comes with it.

This is a perfect example of how apple products grow to fill the gaps that people ask for, they listen to the needs and react accordingly.

this wont work on the iphone 3G though, so if you don't have a 3GS or a 3d gen ipod touch you're out of luck. iPad will get it though

For all those people who bash the iphone and iPad because it doesn't have multi-tasking OS 4.0 just announced it comes with it.

This is a perfect example of how apple products grow to fill the gaps that people ask for, they listen to the needs and react accordingly.

this wont work on the iphone 3G though, so if you don't have a 3GS or a 3d gen ipod touch you're out of luck. iPad will get it though

That's handy then :wacky:

:annoyed:

What else is there in the update?

:LOL: I seem to remember people asked for it years ago though....

:naughty: must stop ( Yes I do have apple hardware )

....iPhone had no multitasking ?? :wacky: lame

:coat:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

Just checked this out and at the bottom of the page it says "Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

So basically only the newest iPhones, not the old ones.

Just checked this out and at the bottom of the page it says "Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

Looking at that it says that it will work with the 3G
Just not the multi tasking. That's not so bad!

thats like an echo, didnt i already say that?

So what if you did Joe? This is a discussion forum - more than one person is allowed to make the same point you know!

So what if you did Joe? This is a discussion forum - more than one person is allowed to make the same point you know!

kind of pointless to do so though unless its an opinion or recomendation. makes it look like people havent been correctly reading the posts (y)

its all good though :clap:

Unified mailbox and app folders, tidy :)

couldn't give a toss about multitasking, I'd just complain it was slow anyway...

Now, whats the chances of a new bit of iPhone hardware being launched before the Win7 phone arrives??

when is the win7 mobile due? i heard there would be new iphone hardware in june/july

Im shocked and surprised they didnt wait and release this as the main 'feature' for the next iphone. I guess this is an effort to get more people to make the upgrade from 3g to 3gs

Im shocked and surprised they didnt wait and release this as the main 'feature' for the next iphone. I guess this is an effort to get more people to make the upgrade from 3g to 3gs

i think its more for the ipad. people will want more multitasking with this and now people will buy it knowing they can upgrade in the summer

Can't say I'm bothered with multi-tasking, but flash/java so I can play farmville.... now that's progress :woot:

:coat:

I remain unconvinced. Everything I want to do doesn't require multitasking but we will see.

The thing I want is that when the iPhone detects a particular network it currently saying "connect" or "not"..... I want a "never ask about this network again" option.

I'd have to agree with others, the multi-tasking doesn't really seem that important. As JasonRS said though, the mailbox and apps feature sounds like a good idea. Surely the next generation phone wont be long.

What is "multi tasking" on an iphone :shrug:

It's the ability to run more than one application at a time, which you currently can't do.

I use mine at home a lot, and it never asks about connecting to my home network, just does it straight away.

It attaches to my home network straight away too.

What I want is it to stop constantly asking me if I want to attach to the network for the shop next door to work or the coffee shop one where you have to log in or the one in the hospital where is wants a password etc etc.

It's the ability to run more than one application at a time, which you currently can't do.

Should really be multi-apps then not multi tasking, because you can already use the ipod whilst doing other things and i'm sure there others.

Hmm, amongst other features there is something called iAd - not sure this is something I want in a phone especially if it will consume precious bandwidth...

Yes iPhoneOS version 3 is multitasking........

Mine is currently running 22 tasks as per iStat...... It is multi apps that v4 actually adds NOT multitasking.

It attaches to my home network straight away too.

What I want is it to stop constantly asking me if I want to attach to the network for the shop next door to work or the coffee shop one where you have to log in or the one in the hospital where is wants a password etc etc.

Darren... Settings > Wi-Fi Networks > Ask to Join Networks = OFF :shrug:

HTH... :D

:p

Darren... Settings > Wi-Fi Networks > Ask to Join Networks = OFF :shrug:

No I want it to ask to join networks but I then want an option "ALWAYS IGNORE THIS NETWORK" option.....

No I want it to ask to join networks but I then want an option "ALWAYS IGNORE THIS NETWORK" option.....

Ah... clear... isn't that just a case of clicking right arrow on the offending network in Settings and then selecting Forget this Network at the top of its detail page then... :shrug:

Ah... clear... isn't that just a case of clicking right arrow on the offending network in Settings and then selecting Forget this Network at the top of its detail page then... :shrug:

No because next day it finds it again and asks again!

See what I mean it is really very annoying :bang:

No because next day it finds it again and asks again!

See what I mean it is really very annoying :bang:

Oh... weird that is... I've got three or four networks around me apart from my own and it just connects to my main one and that's it... no mention of the others at all, ever, at any time of day or night... ever... :D

But I can see that might be quite irksome... :p

It's not true multi tasking.

Just hibernates the app in it's current state (with the exception of background audio)

Oh... weird that is... I've got three or four networks around me apart from my own and it just connects to my main one and that's it... no mention of the others at all, ever, at any time of day or night... ever... :D

But I can see that might be quite irksome... :p

My main work location does not have a wireless network so I would be on 3G but it tries to be helpful and finds this same network constantly... At home it just attaches to my network despite there being others around because it knos my network :thinking:

It's not true multi tasking.

Just hibernates the app in it's current state (with the exception of background audio)

Whilst the first part might be true... it is only a (very) Smart Phone and this naturally makes it somewhat limiting... :shrug: ...the second part is not strictly the case though... see Linky

You would think with all the smart arses they employ at least one would have suggested it the first time round, though :p

No worries, been able to multitask on my touch for ages :woot:

Single processor multitasking has always just done that.....

What, stores it in the background until brought to the foreground without doing anything?

Your exeprience is a bit different to mine then.

Last time I checked you were able to run excel in the background which would continue to timeslice and update all your links - it didn't need to be the foregound app. This goes back to i386 and i486 chips, single processor.

What, stores it in the background until brought to the foreground without doing anything?

Your exeprience is a bit different to mine then.

Last time I checked you were able to run excel in the background which would continue to timeslice and update all your links - it didn't need to be the foregound app. This goes back to i386 and i486 chips, single processor.

No none of that was in the post was it.....

I mean that multitasking is "Just hibernates the app in it's current state (with the exception of background audio)"

Back