iphone OS 4.0 has multitasking

Almost tempted to get myself a 32gb 3rd-gen iPod touch now... (Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 70-200 F4L, or a 32gb iPod touch?!)

I broke my 8gb 2nd-gen touch last year, and I really miss the smooth operation and gameplay! I managed to get a Sony Ericsson W995 with 8gb memory card on a new phone contract, so the loss of iPod for music wasn't such a problem... Really starting to miss the touch screen though!

TFTI...

(WRT the OP's post, info is fine, the way it was presented was not... IMO)

Apple are doing what every other company do, conceding to demand. However I don't understand why it has taken so long to do... Now hopefully MS will update WP7 shortly after release so those users can do what they did with WinMo...

Or late Q3, apparently the first launch may be September.

However there has been some talk about a beta version running on the HD2 (yes, the phone that officially won't get it), however it's a bit hit and miss as to whether it is real) so it may be useable on older phones before then, not that that will really affect the average consumer.

I remain unconvinced. Everything I want to do doesn't require multitasking but we will see.

The thing I want is that when the iPhone detects a particular network it currently saying "connect" or "not"..... I want a "never ask about this network again" option.

While my WinMo device has multitasking I don't use it a huge amount, however when I do it is invaluble, things like leaving GPS open in the background, or leaving the web browser open so I can instantly access it at a later time (no load times at all) as well as the usual playing a game/doing something and answering a call whilst looking at a note for example (although some of this may already be available on the current iPhone software).

So yeah, it's not necessarily an every day thing but it can be useful. :)

Whilst the first part might be true... it is only a (very) Smart Phone and this naturally makes it somewhat limiting... :shrug: ...the second part is not strictly the case though... see Linky

HTH... :D

:p

I'd hope so tbh, otherwise it would be slightly pointless if it just hibernated the app* as it wouldn't let you use more than one app at the same time (as per my gps example and the flickr example in the link.

*only slightly as being able to just bring something like your web browser back instantly without loading is very useful.

For all those people who bash the iphone and iPad because it doesn't have multi-tasking OS 4.0 just announced it comes with it.

This is a perfect example of how apple products grow to fill the gaps that people ask for, they listen to the needs and react accordingly.

this wont work on the iphone 3G though, so if you don't have a 3GS or a 3d gen ipod touch you're out of luck. iPad will get it though

Ah! Finally! :D

This is a perfect example of how apple products grow to fill the gaps that people ask for, they listen to the needs and react accordingly.

It took them just over 3 years to do this on one of the most expensive phones on the market and even now, it won't work with older models. I agree that it's a perfect example of something but not what you are suggesting.

It attaches to my home network straight away too.

What I want is it to stop constantly asking me if I want to attach to the network for the shop next door to work or the coffee shop one where you have to log in or the one in the hospital where is wants a password etc etc.

Ah I see, sorry.

So whens this coming out, I just plugged mine in and it said it was up to date :shrug:

It took them just over 3 years to do this on one of the most expensive phones on the market and even now, it won't work with older models. I agree that it's a perfect example of something but not what you are suggesting.

I can see you are a glass half empty person, the fact is they have it now for iphones, how long it took is now irrelevant, live in the now my friend, don't live in the past!

There is only one app that I would even care about this on and thats wunderradio, when I'm listening to five live and I want to also check the internet. For most people this is irrelevant, they wont even use it, probably why it's taken so long, justifying why they should add it for the mass market when it's more a very specific vocal selection who requested it in the begining

the reason it wasnt viable on the 3g and older devices is the amount of memory available.
the 3g has 128mb of ram , and 100 of that is reserved for the os which you can touch.

so to see what some of the devs have come out with considering you only have 28mb to play with is astounding

so thats why, they have probably had this idea ready to go for ages , it just needed the right hardware

What has forced me to dump my Iphone for WM at the moment is the ridiculous restrictions put on some of those developers by Apple.

For example, no-one can interface into the PIM information..... Meaning that apps like pocketinformant cannot access the Calendar, contacts and tasks (not that the iphone has a tasks app) that are synched from the exchange server.

With multi-tasking, it's almost like Windows mobile then!!:)

I can see you are a glass half empty person, the fact is they have it now for iphones, how long it took is now irrelevant, live in the now my friend, don't live in the past!

Wrong again. I am neither a glass half full or half empty person. I am the kind of person that wants to know why the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. On earth, people call us realists. You should consider joining us sometime :)

Or late Q3, apparently the first launch may be September.

Hardware will be available for selected Enterprise accounts and Technology Analysts during late Q3, with the GA planned to be in time for "The Holidays".

Bear in mind that Launch and General Availability are two different things. iPad was "launched" 2 months before it was available, Windows 7 was "launched" 4 months before it was available etc, etc. Launch is not the date it's in the shops, but usually the announcement of the final feature stack, and the date of general availability. It's the GA date that's key.

Wrong again. I am neither a glass half full or half empty person. I am the kind of person that wants to know why the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. On earth, people call us realists. You should consider joining us sometime :)

damn, I hate being wrong all the time!

You call yourself realist I call you a moaner who bitches about how long things took :D

The 1st iphone is less than 3 years old :thinking:

It wasn't even a 3G phone, but its expected to have MT-ing.

They've only ever made 3 phones and they have a massive market share of smartphone, while Nokia/SE/HTC have released bundles of phone and been around loads longer.

They release regular updates which are intuitive and based on an easy to learn UI for no extra cost (ex-itouch). Buts its not quick enough!

Realist .. No. A realist would observe the facts and see a balance argument.

As for Apple control on Apps, wait to see how much offensive,18+, un controlled software is available on a google android device and then buy one for your teenager for their birthday. A company that shows a moral code...shame on them :LOL:

It's not true multi tasking.

Just hibernates the app in it's current state (with the exception of background audio)

Not true, apps like Skype and TomTom can run in the background alongside other tasks.

Apps are hibernated because leaving them all in a live state would very quickly run the (already small) battery in the 3GS down.

The 1st iphone is less than 3 years old :thinking:

It wasn't even a 3G phone, but its expected to have MT-ing.

They've only ever made 3 phones and they have a massive market share of smartphone, while Nokia/SE/HTC have released bundles of phone and been around loads longer.

They release regular updates which are intuitive and based on an easy to learn UI for no extra cost (ex-itouch). Buts its not quick enough!

Realist .. No. A realist would observe the facts and see a balance argument.

As for Apple control on Apps, wait to see how much offensive,18+, un controlled software is available on a google android device and then buy one for your teenager for their birthday. A company that shows a moral code...shame on them :LOL:

or even more likely watch how many apps that crash the OS appear on android if they don't control them

yeah, coz you see so many offensive calendar, contact and task applications.

and no teenager is capable of jailbreaking an iphone and installing whatever they want.

my point that you missed in your race to defend apple was that thet have not allowed accesd to the pim datsbases in the sdk. not that they had or did not have a moral code.

yeah, coz you see so many offensive calendar, contact and task applications.

and no teenager is capable of jailbreaking an iphone and installing whatever they want.

my point that you missed in your race to defend apple was that thet have not allowed accesd to the pim datsbases in the sdk. not that they had or did not have a moral code.

you're right. you wrote one thing i read something different, sorry. I guess i over-enthusiatically like the attitude that Apple have about their product and how they want it used.
I think you're right to use a different device if their's doesn't suit your need. Other's don't switch and then moan about it. like they are forced to keep the phone.

or even more likely watch how many apps that crash the OS appear on android if they don't control them

Never had a program cause a crash of my WinMo machine and i've had it almost 18 months. In fact I don't remember any programs actually crashing so it's a bit of a stretch to say Android will have this problem when it uses essentially the same system (wrt program testing).

Never had a program cause a crash of my WinMo machine and i've had it almost 18 months. In fact I don't remember any programs actually crashing so it's a bit of a stretch to say Android will have this problem when it uses essentially the same system (wrt program testing).

just because you yourself never had a crash doesn't mean there isnt more chance of crashes if all 3rd party apps ever released are allowed on the system

Is multitasking like trying not to listen to the wife whilst driving at the same time.:LOL:

If any of you have iPhones I'd suggest not downloading v4.0..

It adds the capability for adverts to be forced on you inside of applications.
So you pay for an application and it then rams adverts down your throat. Nice.

More here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/08/iphone_4_dot_0/

Just for giggles if you have an iPod Touch is seems you'll also be charged for downloading v4.0.. so you can pay for the OS that allows you to pay for apps that send you adverts.. hmm.

I think Apple have just given the game away to Android.

Well but devs are cramming their free apps with ads anyway so there won't be a huge difference, only it'll be more organised I reckon..
And on the subject of multitasking..well let's just say it's always possible for those who wanted it ;)

I'm actually ******ed nothing was mentioned about the new macbook pros.. rumours are they're coming soon but theyre just that, rumours =(

If any of you have iPhones I'd suggest not downloading v4.0..

It adds the capability for adverts to be forced on you inside of applications.
So you pay for an application and it then rams adverts down your throat. Nice.

More here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/08/iphone_4_dot_0/

Just for giggles if you have an iPod Touch is seems you'll also be charged for downloading v4.0.. so you can pay for the OS that allows you to pay for apps that send you adverts.. hmm.

I think Apple have just given the game away to Android.

Plenty of free (and probably paid) apps have adverts in already...

It costs money to develop Apps, someone has to pay for them. Google has bought AdMob (who serve up most of the iPhone app ads at the moment) so I don't expect Android apps to stay ad free for very long...

For all those people who bash the iphone and iPad because it doesn't have multi-tasking OS 4.0 just announced it comes with it.

this wont work on the iphone 3G though, so if you don't have a 3GS or a 3d gen ipod touch you're out of luck. iPad will get it though

What I can't understand, is why you posted this extemely tedious 3 year reaction now, when it won't be available until the summer?

Are you employed by Apple, or simply a fan-boy?

What I can't understand, is why you posted this extemely tedious 3 year reaction now, when it won't be available until the summer?

because it was announced yesterday. I'm sure if canon or nikon announced a new camera body to be released in the summer one or two people might be interested to know about it. (and they wouldn't all be employed by Canon or Nikon)

iAd is a simple way for the people who spend a lot of time and money on apps to have a chance to actually make some money. Very few of the Apps in the app store are profitable. and of course >GOOGLE< android make no attempt to make money through advertising...much.:thinking:

just because you yourself never had a crash doesn't mean there isnt more chance of crashes if all 3rd party apps ever released are allowed on the system

I'm just pointing out that the chance of getting an app that will cause issues on an android phone is very low, and not really something you will need to think about...

I was talking to a guy from Gartner at the back end of last year. They believe that Android will be the dominant OS for phones by 2012. I would not disagree.

And some more info...........While we are on this subject. Linky

....iPhone had no multitasking ?? :wacky: lame

:coat:

Thats what I thought, he says stroking his Psion 5 that has been multi-tasking and with a touch screen since 1999.

Only Apple could get away with this nonsense, and have folks lapping it up :LOL:

can we keep the fanboi mud slinging out of the thread please, its like wadding through an old Ati vs Nvidia or Blurayv HDDVD thread

because it was announced, does that answer your question?

can we keep the fanboi mud slinging out of the thread please, its like wadding through an old Ati vs Nvidia or Blurayv HDDVD thread

:agree:

Nvidia & Bluray FTW (y) :LOL:

I was talking to a guy from Gartner at the back end of last year. They believe that Android will be the dominant OS for phones by 2012. I would not disagree.

From the amount of advertising the Desire and x10 are getting at the moment I can see them outselling the iPhone this year, unless the new one is spectacular and not another 3G-3Gs type upgrade.

Nvidia & Bluray FTW (y) :LOL:

The better format won!:D

Apparently there are ~150GB Blu ray disks coming soon, you may have to upgrade your standalone player though. Take that puny 25GB HD-DVD!:LOL:

From the amount of advertising the Desire and x10 are getting at the moment I can see them outselling the iPhone this year, unless the new one is spectacular and not another 3G-3Gs type upgrade.

I'll take you on that bet for a quid. Lets revisit this on Jan 1st 2011 and see who outsold who

I'll take you on that bet for a quid. Lets revisit this on Jan 1st 2011 and see who outsold who

I can see the desire selling more than iphone but purely because of the massive price difference.

3GS > 18 months > £35pm + £149 for the phone, 300 mins
Desire > 18 months > £35pm + Free phone, 600 mins
X10 > 18 months > £40pm + Free phone, 900 mins

Its a big difference in price for the iphone.

I can see the desire selling more than iphone but purely because of the massive price difference.

3GS > 18 months > £35pm + £149 for the phone, 300 mins
Desire > 18 months > £35pm + Free phone, 600 mins
X10 > 18 months > £40pm + Free phone, 900 mins

Its a big difference in price for the iphone.

theres a big difference in price between the VW golf and the Citroen C1 too, with good reason. one is better than the other.

theres a big difference in price between the VW golf and the Citroen C1 too, with good reason. one is better than the other.

Groan...;)

Have a read of a few reviews. And actually price wise there is little difference, sim free/PAYG the x10 retails at £500, the Desire ~£450 and the iPhone £350-£550 depending on version (3G or 3GS) and memory.

However each to their own, some users will find one better than the other. :)

Anyway we're going way off topic, however there is little to talk about it seems as the only major thing that was mentioned wa smultitasking, which we've already discussed...

Back