Is it now simply called Windows ?

And of course it doesn't all of a sudden become defunct. You can still use it, the hardware will fail at some stage, but hey I may still have a Intel 486DX and 286 up on the loft.

And of course it doesn't all of a sudden become defunct. You can still use it, the hardware will fail at some stage, but hey I may still have a Intel 486DX and 286 up on the loft.

What I will probably do, is track down a good laptop with windows 7 on it. Keep it for editing video and photos etc, and not use it for going on the net. Then get a cheap Chrome book for internet surfing only. That's the idea, not sure if that will ever happen though!

What I will probably do, is track down a good laptop with windows 7 on it. Keep it for editing video and photos etc, and not use it for going on the net. Then get a cheap Chrome book for internet surfing only. That's the idea, not sure if that will ever happen though!
Best machine I've seen Windows 7 run on is a MacBook Pro ;)

I was thinking of getting a new laptop, but I do not want Windows 10 and I certainly don't want windows 8 :( :thinking:

Wonder why??

Win8 was good, Win8.1 a bit of a Mish Mash, so far Win10 working great.

OK, things are not in the same place but Hey it only takes a few day to get the hang of it!1

Wonder why??

OK, things are not in the same place but Hey it only takes a few day to get the hang of it!1
Adobe CC works brilliantly for me....4K screen resolution is properly supports with finally decent scaling...

Wonder why??

Nothing wrong with my PC windows 7 is running just fine, it's neat and tidy. Windows 10 looks messy and clumsy, silly tiles. Nothing wrong with folders, and a proper start menu that's clean and neat.

And 5.5 = ME

although I'm sure those that actually used it would prefer to forget it.

In fact I loved it!

If you had sufficient memory it was fine - in fact if I remember there was a kludge you could do to allow it to access more memory if you had it available - I think it could then access and use up to 750 MEG or something!

My faves were XP and ME.
Still use XP a lot in VMs but ME will no longer work on modern PCs - think the architecture changed so loading it crashes half way through.

In fact I loved it!

If you had sufficient memory it was fine - in fact if I remember there was a kludge you could do to allow it to access more memory if you had it available - I think it could then access and use up to 750 MEG or something!

ME was a buggy horrid mess of a 98 rehash no matter what you ran it on.

Seems I'm in the minority in that I actually like Win8! Then again, until yesterday, all the machines I have it on are laptops, netbooks or tablets (oh, and a Winphone). Still quite like it on the new desktop but that does have a touchscreen and some weird gesture sensing software that's interesting but going to take some getting used to! Might upgrade to 10 but have slight problems with new things so might well stick to the devil I know.

There was a lot of "who moved my cheese" with Windows 8. It seemed to me as though people have forgotten how to adapt to change. Some of these people managed to go from 8-bit computing to DOS to Windows 3 to Windows 95 with less wailing and gnashing of teeth than which greeted a full-screen Start menu in Windows 8.

I find it slightly bemusing that people who deal with all sorts of change in their real lives all the time (much of it foisted upon on them without so much as a by your leave) suddenly find themselves apparently utterly discombobulated by really quite minor user interface changes.

And yes, they are minor. If anyone wants to find out what a genuinely difficult UI is, they should download Blender (it's free, so have a go!) and try to make a simple scene - say, the classic mirrored ball on a chequered plane.

There was a lot of "who moved my cheese" with Windows 8. It seemed to me as though people have forgotten how to adapt to change. Some of these people managed to go from 8-bit computing to DOS to Windows 3 to Windows 95 with less wailing and gnashing of teeth than which greeted a full-screen Start menu in Windows 8.

I find it slightly bemusing that people who deal with all sorts of change in their real lives all the time (much of it foisted upon on them without so much as a by your leave) suddenly find themselves apparently utterly discombobulated by really quite minor user interface changes.

And yes, they are minor. If anyone wants to find out what a genuinely difficult UI is, they should download Blender (it's free, so have a go!) and try to make a simple scene - say, the classic mirrored ball on a chequered plane.

I think you will find its because the people that made the changes through the early systems were techy type people who don't mind the change.

The issue nowadays is that everybody has a PC at home and at work. These people want to get on with their work and not have to worry about re-learning how to use their computer. Pretty much since windows 95 the basic have always remained the same. Control panel, my computer, system settings etc were all pretty much in the same place. Windows 8 totally screwed that up. Since 1995 people have been clicking the start button the launch an app and then suddenly it's just gone!

This is the one thing I love about my Mac. The OS, whilst does get updates and improvements behind the scenes, I never have sit and work out what I used to do so easily the day before. The layout etc all pretty much stays the same, so I can get on with my work.

Last edited:
I think you will find its because the people that made the changes through the early systems were techy type people who don't mind the change.

The issue nowadays is that everybody has a PC at home and at work. These people want to get on with their work and not have to worry about re-learning how to use their computer. Pretty much since windows 95 the basic have always remained the same. Control panel, my computer, system settings etc were all pretty much in the same place. Windows 8 totally screwed that up. Since 1995 people have been clicking the start button the launch an app and then suddenly it's just gone!

This is the one thing I love about my Mac. The OS, whilst does get updates and improvements behind the scenes, I never have sit and work out what I used to do so easily the day before. The layout etc all pretty much stays the same, so I can get on with my work.

Windows 7 and before was simple and logical to use, windows 8 is a pain to navigate, looks like a child's building blocks with those silly tiles !

And the fact that they were striving for advancement in the systems.
We all know the speed to which its increased in the last 20 years.
A lot of it seems change for change sake for your average user ( like me) nowa days

Windows 7 and before was simple and logical to use, windows 8 is a pain to navigate, looks like a child's building blocks with those silly tiles !
I was trying to think what it reminded me of I'm sure I had a toy like that :D

Yes I guess you can't do much more with 10 than you can with 7. If it ain't fixed, don't broke it.
Better performance, better security, more features (cortana, virtual desktops, etc etc etc - seriously Google it).. So no nothing really ;)

On a serious note if your hardware drivers are available then do the free upgrade while you can, W7 is already in its extended support phase so offering no support for bug fixes (although security updates continue for a bit longer).

Its a no brainer really.

But Win8 was so easy, wait on Boot for the Tiles, hit the Widows Key and they disappeared. Hit the Windows Button again, start Typing and the Search option worked.
OK the Stop Button was on the Right but 2 days using it and you knew where it was!!

Win8.1 was such an upgrade to far.

Win10, different but just needs a few days to get to know it, so no problem.

Better performance, better security, more features (cortana, virtual desktops, etc etc etc - seriously Google it).. So no nothing really ;)
I didn't say 10 wasn't better.

But many will get exactly same out of it that they did with 7. Gimmicks aside. And be happier to stay on 7 too. As they hate any change.

Last edited:
@neil_g excellent points, I nearly forgot about the virtual desktops....I'm using them all the time it is like I'm home again. It is so brilliant this is now integrated, I was always using that on my Mac and Linux boxes...

Ian I disagree, a more secure and faster os benefits everyone.

I bet they're the same people that still run ios6 on their iPhone too :p

Thing is that keeping in line with os updates is an inevitable thing, you'll have to sooner or later.

W8.0 was a minor challenge initially (including a simple training video that ran on first boot would have reduced the number of complaints, as would have been populating the start window with fewer and more useful apps) but wasn't difficult, and I was able to configure a couple of new W8.0 machines for others to use with no previous experience in a very short time. 8.1 was an alround better OS for being nippier and allowing the machine to start in desktop, rather than start window.

Thing is that keeping in line with os updates is an inevitable thing, you'll have to sooner or later.
Keeping an up to date OS is a different issue. Many people want a secure OS, yet stay in a familiar world without having buttons rearranged. Other OSs manage it. The OS is supposed to do what the user wants not the other way round. And 7 will remain supported for quite some time.

Last edited:
Keeping an up to date OS is a different issue. Many people want a secure OS, yet stay in a familiar world without having buttons rearranged. Other OSs manage it. The OS is supposed to do what the user wants not the other way round. And 7 will remain supported for quite some time.

I hope so too, I must admit Windows 7 has run perfectly for me for ages. I always had to clean 95,98 and XP pretty often. I did not mind cleaning Windows XP, as I liked the start up music on new set up :rolleyes:

Not quite what I meant. What I'm saying is that you'll HAVE to go to 10 sooner or later, why postpone the inevitable.

Sure you've got extended support on 7 until 2020 but you'll only get security fixes, no bug fixes.

10 does everything that 7 can do, the layout has changed slightly but that's better than looking stagnent like some os :)

I'm sure 10 is much better. But it's never good if people are forced to change to an unfamiliar user interface.

Actually postponing it is not a bad idea. Until they've got all the bugs out. SP1 always used to be the one to wait for. Think of 8.1 as well. That undid some of the interface changes. And the stick in the muds can wait for the inevitable plug in that makes 10 look like 7. Or earlier, depending on how stuck in the mud you are.

Last edited:
Its only a few minor cosmetic changes, nowhere near as radical as the whole metro debacle :)

I wouldn't hold your breath for a SP ms announced they won't make any more as they tie up software engineers rather than working on new features/fixes. Makes a fresh 7 install a painful process believe me :D

Its only a few minor cosmetic changes, nowhere near as radical as the whole metro debacle :)

I wouldn't hold your breath for a SP ms announced they won't make any more as they tie up software engineers rather than working on new features/fixes. Makes a fresh 7 install a painful process believe me :D
That is my understanding. It is more of a continued process of update from here on.

Heck even at work they are willing to move.

Sure. I was just reminding you of a popular recommendation. The SP days are over. But not bugs and user interface fixes by user demand. As seen in 8.1.

Last edited:
All that makes a Luddite like me, seriously start to *think* about looking for another opperating system that they won't keep buggering about with, and drop the "support" / "updates" as they see fit ;)

Yes. I already dumped Windows years ago. But for the opposite reason. To try out all the different desktop systems like KDE, Gnome, Ubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, Mate, Fedora, XFCE, and the like. Lots of new and colourful goodies to discover and play with.

Last edited:
All that makes a Luddite like me, seriously start to *think* about looking for another opperating system that they won't keep buggering about with, and drop the "support" / "updates" as they see fit ;)

They all move the goal posts at times - even the fruity firm, though their users always greet changes with love and affection, as though they were the tweaks they had been waiting for all their lives, rather than a pain for changing a particular function that *used* to work so well.

Nothing wrong with my PC windows 7 is running just fine, it's neat and tidy. Windows 10 looks messy and clumsy, silly tiles. Nothing wrong with folders, and a proper start menu that's clean and neat.

AGREED....My new PC came with Win 8.1 and it looked horrible. Spent some time reading every forum and eventually got it clean and the good old Star menu. I'm happy, I'm not one for tiles and none require screens I would never use.
When others work out how to make it look clean I may consider the upgrade.

AGREED....My new PC came with Win 8.1 and it looked horrible. Spent some time reading every forum and eventually got it clean and the good old Star menu. I'm happy, I'm not one for tiles and none require screens I would never use.

Me too (y)

That is my understanding. It is more of a continued process of update from here on.

Heck even at work they are willing to move.

free upgrades from 7 on volume licencing helps, we're going to 10 (other than those legacy systems that need XP still)

Sure. I was just reminding you of a popular recommendation. The SP days are over. But not bugs and user interface fixes by user demand. As seen in 8.1.

you wont get bugs fixed in 7 any longer unless they're security related as it's now in the extended support period which only covers security fixes.

unpin all of the tiles from the start menu, job done :D

If I create a restore point, install 10 and I hate it, will system restore take it out again?

Back