Is it rude to ask the photographer to edit the photos differently?

Everyone seems to be getting so heated! Chill. Yes, I think handing over raw files is a total no-no.

But why on earth someone wouldn't be open to be asked if they could edit differently is beyond me. It might even be quite interesting.

And why should wedding people be any different from any other service provider? A wedding is a wedding, Yes, because weddings have been built into such a fetish, total reliability is vital - but what's wrong with being a bit flexible. If the guy hates the idea, he only has to say no.

As has been mentioned here already a couple of times. It isn’t just about editing differently they would also have to change their shooting style. There is more than just an editing difference between providing light and airy images vs dark and moody.

Just to put the opposite point (for the sake of completeness) - I make it a rule never to buy from any vendor who forgets the basic rule of business: "the customer is always right". As a vendor myself I've always traded that way and it has worked for me.

So if a customer asked you to edit all their wedding photos with single colour pop, you’d want your professional name on that for all to see? I certainly wouldnt.
The customer may think they are right, but they very rarely are.

I only wish digital wedding video photography was around back in 1972 when we got married. That would be near the top of our list of must have"extras" to the whole proceedings. There was 35mm film movies around but few and far between who used them.

Last edited:
I only wish digital wedding video photography was around back in 1972 when we got married. That would be near the top of our list of must have"extras" to the whole proceedings. There was 35mm film movies around but few and far between who used them.
There was also 16mm Cine film, etc., which a lot of amateur enthusiasts used in the 1960s. Quite a few people used that at weddings, mostly outside the church and reception venue in good light, due to the rather intrusive nature of lighting rigs for indoor stuff in those days.

Last edited:
I'd just ask-openly discuss your concerns with them and let them say yay or nay

As has been mentioned here already a couple of times. It isn’t just about editing differently they would also have to change their shooting style. There is more than just an editing difference between providing light and airy images vs dark and moody.
[/QUOTE
Thought OPs whole point was that she did like the style but not the edits.....not beyond the realms of possibilty! I guess it comes down to whether the tog sees himself as an artist or a service provider. That's a fair and very big point, one I can relate to..........my answer is that I won't produce anything I find horrible, but otherwise it's the customer who is paying!

The customer may think they are right, but they very rarely are.
Perhaps you should put that on all your marketing material and let us know how it goes? :naughty:

Perhaps you should put that on all your marketing material and let us know how it goes? :naughty:
Actually, blandly, or maybe blindly, stating the 'customer is always right' is not a good stance.

Unless you wish to qualify it a bit.

Like all generalisations, it's a good starting position.

I disagree. Many customers are not right and a healthy approach to providing a customer with a service that can actually be provided is a good starting position.

Personally, I would not do the job for you, because I well remember what it means when someone is obsessed with getting images more and more yellow, darker and darker and still not happy in the end, all because they must view them on some crappy laptop or old TV. No more of this for me

It's actually a funny question to ask while being a photographer myself, but anyway, here is the thing: I've been looking for a wedding photographer for a while and I've found one in my area who does pretty incredible photos but I have questions about his editing style. I like the way he works with the models and creates the shot itself, but his photos look too bright and sunny, while I'd like to have the exact same shots with a more moody edit. So the question is, should I ask him whether he can do the edits differently? As a photographer myself, I'd be fine with a request like that, but I know that some people may consider it rude. Or should I just ask him for the RAWs and then edit them myself? It's also a way to go, but I'm just not sure I'll want to spend time with the photos and Photoworks window instead of my husband, you see :D So what do I do? Looking for another photographer is also an option, but I really love the style this guy works with, so I'd prefer to work with him.
If you ask politely, I don't consider it rude to tell them the sort of thing you are looking for. It's not uncommon to have special requests at a wedding. A good photographer can do several different styles. There is no harm in asking nicely. After all, you are paying.
If you find the photographer too inflexible, or has very limited skills, or is an arrogant egocentric, then move on. You might have saved yourself from some nastiness later on. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back