Is it the 12 inches in front of, or behind the camera - challenge idea

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
:D

Yes I know, thread title pun gratuitously nicked from Harvey Nikon [iirc] but says what I need it to say.

OK, this is an idea that was originally voiced on a London meet, I think nearly 2 years ago now, by Matt [Onform] and despite some efforts, we never got round to doing it. I have just posted in another thread about using the idea and it has occurred to me to put it out to the general forum as a fun challenge, see if it sinks or swims.

So, here is the idea.... we all know the old adage that it is the person behind the camera that makes the picture the camera takes...the black box is merely the tool for the job. But have we all convinced ourselves of that yet? Are you brave enough prepared to find out? :naughty:

The challenge, if you chose to accept it, is this - in the week Sunday 7th to Saturday 13th October [apologies for the selfishness of this, but that is the week I have awarded myself some time off, a bloody luxury when self employed] you must have to hand a disposable camera. Yes, a throwaway one, you know, one roll of film and bye bye. No set theme or subject and I don't even expect to see beautifully exposed and lit photos, though choosing your subjects carefully, with natural well balance lighting will help you get better pictures anyway.

The idea is to really see what you can do when your 'kit' is truly pared down to the absolute basic bare minimum. [before anyone mentions pinhole cameras, I want it to be something everyone can take part in if they want, and no blue peter experiments with shoeboxes and sticky back plastic :LOL:]

At the end of the week, I will start a picture sharing thread to post some of our results. You can post as many or as few as you like, but at least one, even if you think its rubbish. The thread will be open for critique too, at least on composition and content if nothing else.

Up to you how you get the results to screen, most high street developing places will put film to CD or you can scan yourself - but no photoshopping, other than to resize as required...as its a fun challenge I will trust everyone to stick to this, not going to be checking the ps tags or anything else silly like that.

There are no prizes just bragging rights [and if I can persuade Marcel, a new user title for any stand out shooters :D ] and hopefully you will have learnt something about yourself and your ability to take a picture without all those buttons and knobs to twiddle. oh yes, and that smug feeling of self satisfaction that you went out there, armed with only your brains, looked a right idiot with a disposable camera and lived to tell the tale :woot:

So, anyone willing to stick their heads above the parapet and give this a go? :wave:

The list of those showing an interest

Yv
Cowasaki [?]
Jimmy Lemon
Fabs [whether he likes it or not]
SpikeK6
MWHCVT
srichards
treeman
matty
Big Soft Moose
SarahLee
blondie606
norters
posiview
virtualadept
Michael23
joxby [I hope]
strappy
Alastair
Kelack
Andysnap
TrevorBray
RaglanSurf
medwaygreen
Byker28i [ :p]
Rico
Happygolucky
Menthel
Dark Star
Sectionate
Sonriendo
Cuchulainn
Morinaka
Marcel
Woodsy
Steveo-mcg
Ste_lord
On the Huh
Carter64
JCoquillon
Stupar
S162216
ChrisR
SamuelSlade
Lynton
Toggerman
Onform
slr10
Ps2wizz
Cokecan72
Wail
Nod
Ambermile
Zeb
Jao
retrogamer1990
slimbert
6x7
jennyb
gazfy
wegotitugetit

The Thread for sharing your photos is now posted and ready to see some action HERE

Last edited:
I'm off to google the disposable camera with the best dynamic range and lens clarity.....back in a bit :p

*rolleyes*

Mind you, I quite like the look of Crossbird Tom, might have to splash out on one of those, I will be near the coast for part of the week, I can see some great cross process effect prints. (y)

So, come on, you lot actually going to join in? Fink yer 'ard enuff? :D

I am assuming we are not just stuck in some mod only forgotten corner of the forum here? Seems odd no one else is posting *looks around*

I will be up for this challenge if i am reminded about it as I have a memory like a sieve.

sound like a great idea

spike

Could I use my old fuji dl-10? It's got one shutter speed, fixed focus and a whole two apertures (f11 & f13 I think...) It's about as basic as you get. It's about as good as a disposable. Most later disposables were actually better!

I think I may have been insinuating on another thread, that photographers these days have lost a lot of their skill due to modern cameras.

Spose I'd better put my money where my mouth is :puke:

I think I may have been insinuating on another thread, that photographers these days have lost a lot of their skill due to modern cameras.

Spose I'd better put my money where my mouth is :puke:

(y) welcome aboard Mark!

Just for info, I will start a list of those that have shown an interest and will send you all a reminder PM the week before.

Just for info, Jimmy Lemon has linked to a great site for some 'creative' disposables if you want to play, or alternatively, most supermarkets sell them [tesco even do a 'value' version], usually the kodak type ones, with or without flash. You can also buy them from ebay and amazon (y)

*raises hand slowly*

go on then - i'm not one to miss a chance to show a lady what I can do with my twelve inches :whistle: :cautious:

I quite like the sound of this.....but will need a reminder near the time as memory like a tea strainer :LOL:

Be interesting to see if I've actually learnt anything over the last of couple of years in terms of composition......

have to check n see if Asda will put film on to cd, if it's a yes then count me in (y)

I quite like the sound of this.....but will need a reminder near the time as memory like a tea strainer :LOL:

Be interesting to see if I've actually learnt anything over the last of couple of years in terms of composition......

have to check n see if Asda will put film on to cd, if it's a yes then count me in (y)

added you in, not sure about asda, haven't tried them but I know both tesco and snappy snaps do for certain

I think I'm on a heavy week at work that week... I'll check the rota and if its doable, I'm in

(y) as long as its disposable and FILM [for Marcs benefit]

:clap: Looking at this one at the moment, but going to have a hunt around to see if there's anything else available.
Quite fancy some aquarium / fish pond shots just for the fun of it (they'll probably be disastrous, but who cares :LOL:) as well as a few more properly composed shots.

Yinney says you digis won't produce anything worth a fart, so the filmys have been drafted in to fly the flag for TPF...

Personally, I think there's bound to be a few flukey good uns, but Yinnys adamant yawl useless without technopixels and cheatyshop...

:p

where's chris got to ? - a thread about making best use of our 12 inches and theres no sign of the pink member ?

Yinney says you digis won't produce anything worth a fart, so the filmys have been drafted in to fly the flag for TPF...

Personally, I think there's bound to be a few flukey good uns, but Yinnys adamant yawl useless without technopixels and cheatyshop...

:p

oooeerrr, thats fightin talk that is!! :LOL:

oooeerrr, thats fightin talk that is!! :LOL:

pre-fight hype..:D

can't be soft with em though, they're already looking for £50 disposables, anything to avoid using the 12 inches behind...exclusively

:LOL:

I shall give this ago, I'm on holiday for 2 weeks starting that week. Like the look of the nightbird, could be quite cool, it would have to be processed when I get back though (y)

I think I'm on a heavy week at work that week... I'll check the rota and if its doable, I'm in

I'm in it for this...(y)

Put my name down.

Cheers and GL all, but especially me because I want a decent title :D

I am definitely in. DEFINITELY (y)

All added chaps, welcome aboard... (y)

Back