Is this forum over moderated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
I only ask as once again another thread has been closed by what seems to me one of the many over officious moderators on here.
Again one person is singled out and threatened with a ban because he defends himself. Time and again decent (if not contentious aka interesting) threads get closed.

This is by far the most sensitive forum I am a member of (probably for not much longer after this).

Am I wrong or do other agree? Do not insult me though as we know what happens.

No

No. People just need to either read the rules and learn to moderate their own posts. No issues then.

I don't think this forum is over moderated - well, certainly not the parts I look at/am active in.

Power mad all of them.. gone right to there heads... better than sex I heard one say....

it is for some, it isn't for many

I am sure the Mods try not to stiffle any creativity .......... but sometimes, just sometimes maybe they just see one side ....... but it's their "show"

there are quite a few "members" who are sometimes "blinkered" - me included - I think that I have been banned three times - on one notable occasion I thought that I was helping a member

you also get several, in fact, quite a few members who, IMHO, take a hypocritical "high ground" and worsen the situation, when it has little to do with them

Last edited:
it is for some, it isn't for many

I am sure the Mods try not to stiffle any creativity .......... but sometimes, just sometimes maybe they just see one side ....... but it's their "show"

there are quite a few "members" who are sometimes "blinkered" - me included - I think that I have been banned three times - on one notable occasion I thought that I was helping a member

you also get several, in fact, quite a few members who, IMHO, take a hypocritical "high ground" and worsen the situation, when it has little to do with them
Oh no they don't!

I only ask as once again another thread has been closed by what seems to me one of the many over officious moderators on here.
Again one person is singled out and threatened with a ban because he defends himself. Time and again decent (if not contentious aka interesting) threads get closed.

This is by far the most sensitive forum I am a member of (probably for not much longer after this).

Just a quickie from the over officious moderator, if you had looked at the post you are talking about, I closed the thread on the request of the OP as the event was sold out, I actually said those words in the closing post. I would not have closed just for the fun of it. We close many contentious threads on here because they do end up in slanging matches with members ending up insulting each other, not because we feel like it. Also, I didn't threaten anyone with a ban or even points, I just asked for the arguing to stop and the insults. The poster in question told me to ban him as he wasted too much time on here, again, I didn't ban, just offered for him to give himself a self imposed ban if he wanted one.

And don't treat me like a fool with your parting comment, the forum is no place for insults. If someone insults another person, they will get moderated. Why should we be a place where you can insult others?

Sorry but you did come across as someone who was having a bad day and vented your frustrations on that thread. I agree out and and out insults, prejudices and other such comments should be moderated.
However there are a few over sensitive souls on here. I was not looking to treat you as a fool and never said that did I?

Ah found it...

OK so is the forum over moderated - generally no. However some people have history, which allows for a little less tolerance at times. I can't see anything wrong in the thread referenced. I presume someone hit the report/wake a mod button

What needs to be remembered is we are all human (even the mods) and as such everyone has an occasional off day. However without the FREE work and time the mods put into this forum it would descend into chaos and I wouldn't like to see that. It's a great forum, full of good resources.

Last edited:
I find this forum well moderated by highly intelligent and (go on then I'll say it) handsome/gorgeous moderators who are witty and modest. Never had a problem at all with any of them apart from some of them post pictures of me looking hungover (no names, no pack drill). :D

it can't be if it was this thread would have been locked by now ;)

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.”:)

Sorry but you did come across as someone who was having a bad day and vented your frustrations on that thread. I agree out and and out insults, prejudices and other such comments should be moderated.
However there are a few over sensitive souls on here. I was not looking to treat you as a fool and never said that did I?

No, I was not having a bad day, it was far too early in the morning for that, I was annoyed because I logged into the staff room to see reports of a thread having insults thrown around and seeing that it was a persistent offender with patronising insults. That annoys me. The frustrations vented are due to all the staff having to time and time again ask for this not to happen. And no, while you didn't specifically say I am a fool, the hidden sarcasm in your final sentence implied it. This is not being oversensitive

you know, its strange really, at least 60% of the RTM's we get in the staff room these days (since we let the software take care of banning the classifieds abusers at least) consist of messages loosely translated as "Why Haven't you Banned this member yet" or "How long do we have to put up with this members...." or simply "Trolling" (that one's usually employed against every post in a thread that the Reporting person doesn't agree with ;)). If we acted visibly against every RTM we get, then I could understand the accusations of over-moderation. But we don't. Instead we actually read the RTM, then go and READ THE THREAD, then we often Ask other moderators/admins to do likewise and get a joint opinion (because, strange as it may seem, we're only human, with our own personal opinions, and what profoundly offends one of us, may well be the heartfelt opinion of one or more of the moderation team)

It's also strange that it's almost always the people who have been moderated that think that the place is over-moderated. Much like the classifieds abusers always think that hanging out in the classifieds and buying stuff cheap to sell at a profit on ebay is somehow being a benefit to the community.

Personally, (and I know I'm seen as a bit of a hardliner by some of my fellow staffmembers) I think if anything we seriously UNDER-MODERATE and frankly think it's time we started to come down MUCH harder on one or two of our repeat offenders.

Fortunately for some, I'm only a Mod, and our Admins are a bunch of softies, otherwise theres a list of people that would have been long gone by now.

Last edited:
I don't think this forum is over moderated, I would not visit if it was a free for all, with no mods keeping a check on things :)

you know, its strange really, at least 60% of the RTM's we get in the staff room these days (since we let the software take care of banning the classifieds abusers at least) consist of messages loosely translated as "Why Haven't you Banned this member yet" or "How long do we have to put up with this members...." or simply "Trolling" (that one's usually employed against every post in a thread that the Reporting person doesn't agree with ;)). If we acted visibly against every RTM we get, then I could understand the accusations of over-moderation. But we don't. Instead we actually read the RTM, then go and READ THE THREAD, then we often Ask other moderators/admins to do likewise and get a joint opinion (because, strange as it may seem, we're only human, with our own personal opinions, and what profoundly offends one of us, may well be the heartfelt opinion of one or more of the moderation team)

It's also strange that it's almost always the people who have been moderated that think that the place is over-moderated. Much like the classifieds abusers always think that hanging out in the classifieds and buying stuff cheap to sell at a profit on ebay is somehow being a benefit to the community.

Personally, (and I know I'm seen as a bit of a hardliner by some of my fellow staffmembers) I think if anything we seriously UNDER-MODERATE and frankly think it's time we started to come down MUCH harder on one or two of our repeat offenders.

Fortunately for some, I'm only a Mod, and our Admins are a bunch of softies, otherwise theres a list of people that would have been long gone by now.

Ban TheBigYin ...........:D ............:exit:

despite the possibility of my being on the 'list of 44' , I agree

David aka @Pookeyhead is very forthright with his opinions, and whilst I often agree with them, this time I thought he overstepped.

As for being over moderated, I don't agree, but then again, I've never been moderated :)

Edit: I tell a lie I was once moderated for bumping a classified thread about an hour early. Jeez you guy n gals were tough in them days

Last edited:
I'm surprised so much borderline racism is allowed to be posted so openly and so often.

It must be very off-putting for Muslim forum members (and anyone with a working braincell inside their skull).

Edit: it's a pity the UCLAN thread was locked too. It would have been nice to hear more about it. It's a shame it was trolled in the first place.

Last edited:
David aka @Pookeyhead is very forthright with his opinions, and whilst I often agree with them, this time I thought he overstepped.

Although David and I frequently disagree, in actual fact i'd say that as ever there was blame on both sides of the original spat and to be fair to him I can see why he'd get upset about an event in which he has invested a lot of effort being denigrated... but you are right that he overstepped in his later dust up with the moderator.

It is a testament to the tolerance of the mods here that they understood why he was upset and didn't take any action against him other than asking him to calm down.

On the wider point even as someone who has been frequently moderated I still by and large can't fault the moderation here, which is a lot more understated and in general fair and calm than it is on some forums (on a certain bird watching forum i once copped a perma ban for merely disagreeing with the owner about a bird ID)

Not over-moderated.

If you want a good slanging match, sign on to one of the big American forums :eek:

I'm surprised so much borderline racism is allowed to be posted so openly and so often.

It must be very off putting for Muslim forum members (and anyone with a working braincell inside their skull).

I sort of agree with you there - but on the flip side freedom of speech has to be free for everyone - my only issue with those discussions is that it sometimes feels as though those expressing the anti racist view are shut down a lot more quickly than the right wing proponents

I sort of agree with you there - but on the flip side freedom of speech has to be free for everyone - my only issue with those discussions is that it sometimes feels as though those expressing the anti racist view are shut down a lot more quickly than the right wing proponents

By definition, on a moderated forum there is no such thing as "free speech", only " selectively free speech".

Without moderation a forum becomes a very unwelcome place.
It is a thankless task and takes up rather more time than many can afford to give.
On many forums, questioning moderation in a thread results in an automatic ban.

Mostly flames are quickly quenched before they become a conflagration on this site.
We have the Moderators to thank for this.
We should celebrate the fact not complain.

it sometimes feels as though those expressing the anti racist view are shut down a lot more quickly than the right wing proponents

the problem is, some people find it impossible to attack the viewpoint without attacking the person it comes from as well... as soon as things stray into personal attacks then it's no longer free-speech and debate. It's almost invariably the reason for closure that the thread degenerates into name calling and personal abuse. If you want threads to stay open, and avoid getting points (they don't make prizes, they make bans in this game) "play the ball, not the man"

I don't think this place is over moderated at all.

Moderators are only human (I think....???) and just as the ref of a football match may get it wrong from time to time there may be mistakes and/or instances when people feel hard done by but on the whole I think that this forum is possibly one of the best I've ever visited and part of that must be down to how it's run and managed from day to day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back