Isolation: Any Gamers? Even Old Ones?

I have still yet to install it, the 100GB puts me off a bit and I'm lazy, want to uninstall a few unplayed games to free up space first.

I see 'It takes two' is now on XBGP, that is well worth a go if you have a willing side-kick to play through with, really fun game [bar some of the cringe dialogue] with some clever puzzles, very nice looker also.

Im back giving Red Dead Redemption 2 ago. See if I can finish it this time.

Looking forward to GT7 next year.

I played the first RDD on the 360 years back, never did get around to the second as I was so immersed in the Witcher world - I can only handle one massive/Epic game at a time [getting old!]

it looks a lot slower paced than the first? watched someone on twitch play through the first hour or so and not a whole lot happened though I have since seen some action play/shoot-outs

I've been gaming since I played Pacman in an Arcade in 1980.. Played on almost every format ever from the BBC Micro to all 4 flavours of Xbox to the ZX Spectrum. Some great games, especially on the Spectrum, the graphics were rubbish in some cases but the gameplay was brilliant and that's what really makes the games.

If I didn't hate Sony and could afford it I'd treat myself to a second hand PS4, a copy of Street Fighter 5 and a PS VR headset and copies of Batman VR and Star Trek Bridge Crew.

Last edited:
RDD2 is quite slow to start with - the snow chapter teaching you how to use the controls etc. is a bit on rails but once you're past that you can muck about forever.
I really enjoyed it on PS4 and spent a lot of time online. If you know other players then the online is a lot of fun - if not then it's not so much as you'll mostly be on your own and sometimes someone will just rock up and murder you mid-mission.

Bought and installed "Thunder Tier 1" the other day. Not sure if I like it yet, but I feel it may be one of those games which suddenly becomes addictive once used to it.

Halo Infinite single player is out as of last night. It's part of Gamepass.

The opening 2 missions feels like the good ol' Halo. I'm not so sure on the open world aspect, but I'm still early in the game, only done 2 side objectives in the open world.

I'm actually enjoying Red Dead Redemption 2 now. Took a while for me to put the time in.

The opening 2 missions feels like the good ol' Halo. I'm not so sure on the open world aspect, but I'm still early in the game, only done 2 side objectives in the open world.

I only got chance to play the intro yesterday but
  1. it feels like Halo which is a very good thing
  2. it's awfully pretty
  3. glad to see that in the world of plasma grenades and phase rifles, the best solution to many problems is still a forearm smash. Grappling hook and forearm smash might have just become my favourite technique.
Is it just me or do all the weapons seem a bit "polite"? I haven't found anything really heavy duty yet but even grenades make a sort of apologetic pop as they inflict minimal damage.

1. glad to see that in the world of plasma grenades and phase rifles, the best solution to many problems is still a forearm smash. Grappling hook and forearm smash might have just become my favourite technique.
Is it just me or do all the weapons seem a bit "polite"? I haven't found anything really heavy duty yet but even grenades make a sort of apologetic pop as they inflict minimal damage.
Just wait until you get stun upgrade to the grapple hook and energy sword ;)

There's the skewer, one shot kill most brutes and elites. Also the sniper rifle and battle rifle, both good for efficient headshot kills.
Yes, it feels like in order to pad out enemy variations, they've decided to give some "higher ranking" enemies a large amount of health.

The open world aspect feels good. It's like the second level of Halo CE and Silent Cartographer level. Unless going after all the collectables, the base captures doesn't feel like a grind. They are all different and have different challenges.

I've was playing Halo Infinite yesterday and I'm impressed so far. To be honest I'm surprised by the relatively low metacritic score, it barely ranks above halo 5, and that was, to be blunt, crap. 84% compared to 86%, this is a much better game imo. Just got to the open world stuff so will see if it continues to impress.

Any love for Bloodborne? Its so hard at times my swearing vocabulary has improved a lot and its a miracle the controller hasnt gone through the TV screen yet. But its just so good I keep going back to it.
Being an old git with slow reflexes doesnt help but theres only one Boss left in the whole thing Ive not beaten yet.

Any love for Bloodborne? Its so hard at times my swearing vocabulary has improved a lot and its a miracle the controller hasnt gone through the TV screen yet. But its just so good I keep going back to it.
Being an old git with slow reflexes doesnt help but theres only one Boss left in the whole thing Ive not beaten yet.

I played it obsessively for a couple of days and then never went back to it. This is normal behaviour for me..... It's fun and very annoying.

I've was playing Halo Infinite yesterday and I'm impressed so far. To be honest I'm surprised by the relatively low metacritic score, it barely ranks above halo 5, and that was, to be blunt, crap. 84% compared to 86%, this is a much better game imo. Just got to the open world stuff so will see if it continues to impress.

It's awfully pretty and I love the chatter from the aliens but.......I usually play campaign in easy so I get to see more of the game. After a few hours in normal I swapped to easy and had to replay everything because some of the early stuff was frustrating. Now it's either *very* easy or suddenly you're dead - sometimes both. There also appears to be a lot of "go over here and have a fight - oh on the way, there's a small fight, now you get distracted by going over there....". So far it doesn't feel like a campaign with side quests so much as a mish mash of small adventures.

There are lots of vehicles but basically they are all the same. The heavily armoured Razorback is like a Warthog with a much worse gun. It's fairly easy to get one stuck somewhere and driving just seems more of a chore than CE. Lots of falling off ledges for no real fun.

I mean, obviously it's better than 5.....

It's awfully pretty and I love the chatter from the aliens but.......I usually play campaign in easy so I get to see more of the game. After a few hours in normal I swapped to easy and had to replay everything because some of the early stuff was frustrating. Now it's either *very* easy or suddenly you're dead - sometimes both. There also appears to be a lot of "go over here and have a fight - oh on the way, there's a small fight, now you get distracted by going over there....". So far it doesn't feel like a campaign with side quests so much as a mish mash of small adventures.
You need to ensure you are not surrounded. I found it to be easy when taking it slow and at the same time very difficult when not careful and get surrounded.
That's open world for you. Easy distraction to pad out the game-time.

I completed it yesterday.
Story is questionable and felt more like being told what had happened than fighting through it.
I feel all the 343 big bad bosses feels like a revolving door, just one after another. And the big bad brute guy, please stop talking to me via hologram or speakers, it gets old after a whole.
On a positive note, the arc for Cortana and Cortana++ is the real focus of the game. I also love how MC handled it when the pilot had a breakdown.

But one thing they got 100% right was the grunts. Funniest line was when I grappleshot to a grunt and he said something along the line "I can't be heavier than that guy".

I'm 12/13 on the third island for armour crates, 1 away from getting the achievement. But I count I had opened 13 on that section of the map....... grrrrr

I find games like that needlessly difficult, those boss fight with seemingly endless HP bars are just not fun, at first you're "wow! Size of this dude! looks well cool" but 4hrs later re-trying to kill them just isn't enjoyable. Also there's never really any story/background that seems to matter, feels like empty baron space too much of the time. Much rather something with some atmosphere, lore/storyline/fair combat, like the Witcher 3 or Skyrim

I find games like that needlessly difficult, those boss fight with seemingly endless HP bars are just not fun, at first you're "wow! Size of this dude! looks well cool" but 4hrs later re-trying to kill them just isn't enjoyable. Also there's never really any story/background that seems to matter, feels like empty baron space too much of the time. Much rather something with some atmosphere, lore/storyline/fair combat, like the Witcher 3 or Skyrim

Have you ever tried Fallout 4? There's quite a lot of stories going on in it. Hell of a size game.

I got Halo Infinite as soon as it came out, finished it the other night great game.

Just upgraded my Xbox Series S to a new Series X which is arriving tomorrow. Not a massive gamer now but do enjoy an hour or two a week playing some games. Also have a Nintendo Switch.

Currently working my way (slowly as I made a mistake on my first run through and didn't upgrade my character and got to an impossible boss fight) through The Ascent and also making a half arsed attempt at yet another playthrough of Borderlands 3 on the Xbox and on the Switch I'm part way through Eastward (which is amazing) and Golf Story (which is also amazing)

I quit my Game pass sub for now, haven't really played much of anything in the past few months so it's just money wasted. I'm getting a new monitor for the PC from Santa :D which might entice me back in

Moonglow bay for me atm I’m afraid, and pardon the pun but I’m hooked…

I quit my Game pass sub for now, haven't really played much of anything in the past few months so it's just money wasted. I'm getting a new monitor for the PC from Santa :D which might entice me back in

Turns out I got a nicer one than expected, a curved 27" 1440p MSI monitor, capable of 144hz [ via HDMI], capable of 165hz using the display port cable, [both cables included] - I will have to at least boot up The Witcher 3 to try on this bad boy! and maybe re-sub to Game pass for Forza and some other juicy graphical titles

Last edited:
Turns out I got a nicer one than expected, a curved 27" 1440p MSI monitor, capable of 144hz [ via HDMI], capable of 165hz using the display port cable, [both cables included] - I will have to at least boot up The Witcher 3 to try on this bad boy! and maybe re-sub to Game pass for Forza and some other juicy graphical titles

I took a chance a while back and got a curved screen, mainly to bring the edges of large spreadsheets closer but I was worried about editing on it. Turns out it's fine, the brain seems to compensate for the curve when it comes to straight lines and it's great for games and films.

Messing about with the Quest 2 now. This thing is good!

I took a chance a while back and got a curved screen, mainly to bring the edges of large spreadsheets closer but I was worried about editing on it. Turns out it's fine, the brain seems to compensate for the curve when it comes to straight lines and it's great for games and films.

Messing about with the Quest 2 now. This thing is good!

It felt a bit weird when I first booted it up, but by the time I'd fiddled with the settings and ran some basic tests [2K YT vids full screen type thing, was also testing a set of speakers I got along with] my eyes were already adjusting. It still feels a bit odd each time I come back to it, for a minute or so. I think it'll be fine for editing as I use LR and it'll be the settings either side that are curved forward more than much effect on the image

I'm more of a strategy gamer, i love Medieval, and Rome Total War, also space sims Stellaris, and Galactic Civilization.

I played Pathfinder: Kingmaker last night, and it's going straight to either CEX or eBay, I hate turn based combat in RPGs.

I played Pathfinder: Kingmaker last night, and it's going straight to either CEX or eBay, I hate turn based combat in RPGs.

They're very time consuming, I don't mind doing 100 odd hours of play over time in an epic adventure type game but, I find turn based strat games so slow and often confusing to start with [The Civ games spring to mind]

3 latest Tomb Raider games are currently free on Epic Game Store, until 4pm tomorrow 6th Jan.
Worth claiming to get it into your library for a rainy day.

edit: not 24 hours, it's free to claim for a week.

Last edited:
3 latest Tomb Raider games are currently free on Epic Game Store, until 4pm tomorrow 6th Jan.
Worth claiming to get it into your library for a rainy day.

edit: not 24 hours, it's free to claim for a week.

Nice, I've put Shadow of the TR in the basket, You don't have to d/l it right away just 'purchase' it :) I also got a €10 voucher towards any game 14.99 or more - haven't been on Epic in ages so that's a nice incentive to grab something else

Used that €10 voucher on 'Kena: bridge of spirits' , it's on sale atm so with the voucher got it for €20 [about £16] - I think it's worth that, some nice eye candy to test out my new monitor with some 1440p gaming

For those with game pass subs Mass Effect Legendary Edition arrives on Jan 6th. It’s the first three games remade/remastered for modern consoles/systems.

I remember playing the first one of the series on my 360 and really enjoyed it so I’ll be definitely downloading this.

I got Halo Infinite as soon as it came out, finished it the other night great game.

No spoilers, but it's a bit of a slog, isn't it? The open world appears to be made of annoying hexagonal rods that either you have to climb over in a very dull grapple hook fest or you can't climb over without dying and there's no easy way to tell the difference.

The indoor sections are fun though. Those Hunters are getting tough.....

I'm enjoying Day's Gone on the PS5 at the minute, looking forward to the new Gran Turismo as well.

For those with game pass subs Mass Effect Legendary Edition arrives on Jan 6th. It’s the first three games remade/remastered for modern consoles/systems.

I remember playing the first one of the series on my 360 and really enjoyed it so I’ll be definitely downloading this.
Thanks for the heads up loved mass effect :)

Great month for third person action.

Amazon Prime Gaming are giving away Jedi Fallen Order for free this month, to claim on Origin. I can highly recommend Jedi Fallen Order to any star wars fans.

I'm currently going through a Skyrim phase where I'm on my 150th hour since November. It's being played on a i9 with 32gb RAM and GTX 1080Ti PC. I've also just recently completed Serious Sam 3, the last boss was pretty intense.

If I fancy a quick blast, it's Forza Horizons 4 on my X Box Series X.

Last edited:

I bought the game retail 2 years ago.

Not been playing much recently and any time I get has been on the VR now. Really liking it and I've now managed to get the wireless streaming link optimised to the point for smooth PCVR titles. There's still definitely a place for PC games, especially non-POV, but for POV stuff the VR really is a whole new experience - even to reload a weapon is like the real thing and takes time unlike pressing "r" lol. The Quest 2 is pretty epic considering the price tag.

Back