Isolation: Any Gamers? Even Old Ones?

Battlefield games are epic.
I'm playing Battlefield V. My goctocis straight into a multilayer team death match

Battlefield 2 was my favourite and spent many nights with 3 as well. Couldn't get into 4 as much.

Same, started at release. Now over 10 hours in, according to stats.

Turning all setting to max, Raytrace looks soooo good. It makes all lighting look authentic and feels right. Along with Control and Deliver the Moon, I now think Raytraced games are the future.

Apparently Santa may be bringing me a copy :) Sadly he won't have room on his sleigh for a ray tracing graphics card.....

I enjoyed all the battlefields, not tried v yet. I'm currently playing war thunder, tanks mainly....but has planes, helicopters and ships....free to play...takes a while to open up the better tanks and add the upgrades, but im not paying for them!

Anyone else playing Cyberpunk 2077?

I know this game got slated for the PS4 and Xb1 version but I am really enjoying it on the PS4. The graphical shortcomings or the bugs don't bother me. I am having fun doing missions, slashing people's limbs off with my Katana. Having a great time.

8vPueu2.jpg

Waiting get a new GPU before I start playing Cyberpunk, currently just running a 1060ti, and refuse to pay over RRP a 3060ti

I know this game got slated for the PS4 and Xb1 version but I am really enjoying it on the PS4. The graphical shortcomings or the bugs don't bother me. I am having fun doing missions, slashing people's limbs off with my Katana. Having a great time.

8vPueu2.jpg
I've a Series X and was looking forward to playing this, but unfortunately ShopTo let me down. Probably just as well as still plowing my way through Valhalla.

8vPueu2.jpg

I'm playing it on my xbox one s and it plays fine for me.

8vPueu2.jpg
Yeah I'm playing it on Xbox Series X.
I'm only about and hour into game play at the moment.

I enjoyed all the battlefields, not tried v yet. I'm currently playing war thunder, tanks mainly....but has planes, helicopters and ships....free to play...takes a while to open up the better tanks and add the upgrades, but im not paying for them!

I mind playing World of Tanks for a while which was also free. Was good fun and reasonably well balanced.

Hows it running?
Its playing fine. I put the settings from performance to resolution and it plays perfect. No hint of FPS drops which you would expect on next gen architecture.
It will definitely look more polished once they optimise it for the newer hardware notebook mention the other ancillary patches.

Screenshot grab from within Cyberpunk 2077 to show what the graphics look like on next gen
214956b8-ed2e-42b6-af83-e279fea3f9fd-01.jpeg

It looks good on base PS4, well, at times anyway. Actually, I don't have any problems with the graphics, the biggest problem with last gen is the delay in the commands.

When you are driving, press the D-pad for things like camera angle and this sometimes can feel like a Mac Beachball. Or when opening the inventory/map menu, you can see it physically load. Or when you set a waypoint, the lines on the map can disappear totally as it's not loaded. That's annoying. Some glitches are funny, some are annoying, some just crashes the game.

bzrBkeD.jpg

Looks good! I almost bought it this evening but some Steam reviews have made me pause. Is it linear or is there a lot of freedom? Was also looking at Dying Light.
During the story mode it feels a bit linear but I think you can easily explore the open world at the same time.
Don't quote me though as like I say I'm only approx 1hr into game play.

During the story mode it feels a bit linear but I think you can easily explore the open world at the same time.
Don't quote me though as like I say I'm only approx 1hr into game play.

The first like 5-10hrs, depending how side track you get, you are stuck in a smaller part of the city. The plot is that you are in some lockdown, then the city opens up after that prologue section. After that it's the whole place like GTA5.

I have done that bit, just got access to the whole city but since I have access i have not done any of the main quest at all and already played 25hrs. Basically done 20hrs of side quests. There are a lot of icons on the map, litter with things like "take care of this local gang" which have various difficulties or Police missions, or some NCP missions. Each levels up your character a little bit but mostly a good way to gain cash and also get used to the gaming mechanics and the crafting and skill tree system. I feel like that is a big part of the game, the more i play, the more indepth i look at the crafting and the upgrading of weapons. Rather than look for a new and better gun, i upgrade the gun that i have with parts.

The first like 5-10hrs, depending how side track you get, you are stuck in a smaller part of the city. The plot is that you are in some lockdown, then the city opens up after that prologue section. After that it's the whole place like GTA5.

I have done that bit, just got access to the whole city but since I have access i have not done any of the main quest at all and already played 25hrs. Basically done 20hrs of side quests. There are a lot of icons on the map, litter with things like "take care of this local gang" which have various difficulties or Police missions, or some NCP missions. Each levels up your character a little bit but mostly a good way to gain cash and also get used to the gaming mechanics and the crafting and skill tree system. I feel like that is a big part of the game, the more i play, the more indepth i look at the crafting and the upgrading of weapons. Rather than look for a new and better gun, i upgrade the gun that i have with parts.
This is good to know so thank you for the detailed breakdown.
I knew the prologue was lengthy but wasn't sure how.
I'm looking forward to when it becomes more like GTA5 and you dan come and go as you please.

This is good to know so thank you for the detailed breakdown.
I knew the prologue was lengthy but wasn't sure how.
I'm looking forward to when it becomes more like GTA5 and you dan come and go as you please.

The core gameplay is about 20hrs if you blast through it, core missions is the fastest way to level up a character. The max level of your character is lvl 50. I am on lvl 14 only at the moment but I already have lots of cybernetics like the rocket arm mod where rockets get shot out of my arm (instead of the grenade that uses the same button), and it is infinite rockets!

There are items, guns, mods that is level locked so whilst you can have a high-level gun with huge damage, you can't use it until you have the requisite level. It's a good way to not "break" the game. There is however nothing stopping you to grind lots of side missions to level up past the level needed for core missions however but that is obviously harder work.

Keep an eye out for the weight limit of your capacity, now and again go to a machine on the wall that buy and sell stuff then sell all your junk and recover a lot of cash. Otherwise, you can disassemble the junk for parts, actually, there is a skill in crafting that does it automatically and if you pick up rubbish, it disappears.

Oh, since you are playing it on the Xbox, using a pad, if you are not good at aiming. There are homing bullets guns you can get. You will need a mod to your body first, something you can pick up with a sidequest. Then some guns will bring up a massive shoot box rather than a crosshair on the aim, and everyone in that shoot box will get hit.

Last edited:
I am finding a few things in the game...

1 - No matter how hard i want to lean into hacking and stealth, I am forced into physical combat eventually due being discovered, getting hacked by others therefore my position is revealed and thus they attack me physically or just getting attacked. So putting enough points into Body and physical attacks is a must or you will find killing enemies harder.

2 - With that, it's basically a balance on how physical you want the game to be. There doesn't seem to be a way to go 100% without killing. There is probably like a 30/70 physical/stealth but not 0/100. But to overcome physical challenges even in short bursts you need to be really good at that aspect. Whereas if you are bad at hacking, the fall back for that is being discovered and getting shot.

3 - I am finding bullets hard to come by, guns I have plenty but bullets not so much.

I started with stealth approach but gave up because it's easier and more fun to just gun everything down. I'm looking forward to getting the cyberwear blade seen in the reveal trailer. Cyberwears are REALLY expensive!

For bullets, you can craft them outside combat. Go to craft menu and scroll all the way down to find the 4 types of ammo.

I'm a bit over 20 hours in. Really enjoying it both action packed gameplay and raytraced glory:
afterlife.jpg

I started with stealth approach but gave up because it's easier and more fun to just gun everything down. I'm looking forward to getting the cyberwear blade seen in the reveal trailer. Cyberwears are REALLY expensive!

For bullets, you can craft them outside combat. Go to craft menu and scroll all the way down to find the 4 types of ammo.

I'm a bit over 20 hours in. Really enjoying it both action packed gameplay and raytraced glory:
View attachment 302243

There are 4 cybernetic arm upgrades.

Mantis Blades (as seen in the trailer)
Gorilla Arms - increases your punching power, allow you to punch through certain doors
There is one which is a built in rocket into the arm, you no longer need grenades or can use grenades. But you have infinite rockets, they do need time to cool down if you fire too many at once.
The last one is a laser wire arm. Imagine a cross between a whip out of Wonder Woman and Light Sabre. They come out of your wrist and it can slice limbs or decapitate people.

I would say the most useful is the Gorilla Arms as it has both damage use and real world use in doors opening. The least powerful is the Mantis Arms since you always have a Knife or Katana which does the same thing.

The Rocket and Whip depends what you prefer. Rocket can deal with long range damage but the Whip is more fun watching limbs flying, both of them however do have weapons alternative like grenades or knife instead. The Gorilla Arm being the only one with a perk that isn't replaced by a weapon.

Some of these cybernetics can be found on the map for free, like the Mantis Blades. You still need to go to a Ripper Doctor to get it installed however. The base one are $15k to buy which actually isn't that much, you should be able to get that after the prologue as you get $10k after the prologue mission.

Last edited:
10K after prologue mission but soon after that, you need to pay 15k to a fixer. Each cyberwear is priced 5-25k, and you can install over 10 of them. It gets expensive.

I've got the gorilla arm, it's useful for doors but it's just normal fists. The mantis blades looks really fun, just purchased, haven't had a chance to use it yet. Thanks for explanation on laser wire, the in-game text doesn't explain it well.

Although didn't know you can pick up the mantis blade for free! :eek:

10K after prologue mission but soon after that, you need to pay 15k to a fixer. Each cyberwear is priced 5-25k, and you can install over 10 of them. It gets expensive.

I've got the gorilla arm, it's useful for doors but it's just normal fists. The mantis blades looks really fun, just purchased, haven't had a chance to use it yet. Thanks for explanation on laser wire, the in-game text doesn't explain it well.

Although didn't know you can pick up the mantis blade for free! :eek:

I dont think there is any particular downside not paying back the doctor immediately, except an upgrade that he has later.

No, not the 20k debt to Vic the doctor.

A bit later on you need to pay 15k to a fixer to progress one of the main story branch.

Is this once the world has opened up? I haven't done any of that yet but I am finding money easy to come by. $15k won't take that long in ginding, hacking panels and selling stuff.

Is this once the world has opened up? I haven't done any of that yet but I am finding money easy to come by. $15k won't take that long in ginding, hacking panels and selling stuff.
Yes. After prologue, it’s one of the 3 main story branch.

Yes, 15K isn’t difficult to come by. But I’ve found 100+k can easily disappear before I’ve installed half of the cyberwear I wanted.

I’ve resorted to some grinding to fund my cyberwear. A can of drink is 10 eddies, disassemble it and you can sell the common parts for a lot more. Do it across a lot of vending machines outside the ripperdoc who gives you Tiger smart weapon implant (one of side mission) net me around 25k.
But I’m not a fan of grinding in general. Just want to play the action parts. I’m not much of a RPG player. I’m more interested in the game’s premise, story and action set-pieces.

I managed two missions completely stealthy now. Trick is getting this one-shot-kill silenced sniper rifle. There is also a memory-wipe quick hack, which really helps.

Yes, 15K isn’t difficult to come by. But I’ve found 100+k can easily disappear before I’ve installed half of the cyberwear I wanted.

I’ve resorted to some grinding to fund my cyberwear. A can of drink is 10 eddies, disassemble it and you can sell the common parts for a lot more. Do it across a lot of vending machines outside the ripperdoc who gives you Tiger smart weapon implant (one of side mission) net me around 25k.
But I’m not a fan of grinding in general. Just want to play the action parts. I’m not much of a RPG player. I’m more interested in the game’s premise, story and action set-pieces.

I managed two missions completely stealthy now. Trick is getting this one-shot-kill silenced sniper rifle. There is also a memory-wipe quick hack, which really helps.

Getting very excited about this game - we may need a separate thread in case people don't want spoilers :)

Meanwhile, let's not forget our friends with consoles.....

I guess everybody knows that Epic are giving free games every day until Christmas, but I just figured out a nice discount stack.....
  1. Start up the Epic launcher and log into your account (yes, you'll need an account....)
  2. "Get" one of the free games - today it's Cities. You don't need to download it if you want
  3. Wait a bit
  4. Epic will give you a £10 voucher to spend on most things in their store.
I just tested this with Watch Dogs Legion - with the sale and a £10 voucher it comes in at £23.49 which seems like a pretty good deal.

Considering how well it plays on NVMe SSD on PC and most of the problems from not loading quick enough on older consoles with spinning disk, they should have delayed last-gen console launch until its optimised.

Ubisoft are also giving away a thing a day this week. Be quick today and claim a free Trials game before noon:

Epic sale with £10 voucher can get one of the Star Wars game for £11: Jedi fallen order or Squadrons. Both are must-play for any Star Wars fan.

Last edited:

I think I should get on with the main quest, spent past 3 days doing just side quests and now at lvl 21 with some legendary clothing, cybernectics and weapons. I can clear pretty much most of the "Very High" difficulty icons on the map, probably good to create a anchor save point to come back to later on to branch off to other endings.

I think I should get on with the main quest, spent past 3 days doing just side quests and now at lvl 21 with some legendary clothing, cybernectics and weapons. I can clear pretty much most of the "Very High" difficulty icons on the map, probably good to create a anchor save point to come back to later on to branch off to other endings.
Side quest pays well. I’ve found going ahead with main quests will make cash flow tighter.

I think I’ve got a play style now. Mantis blades for close quarter, tech rifle (widowmaker) for medium range, a silenced sniper rifle for long range and stealth. I’m investing next few perk points in cold blood which seems to give excellent bonuses.

Control is excellent. I always liked Remedy supernatural games and Control is the best one yet.

Side quest pays well. I’ve found going ahead with main quests will make cash flow tighter.

I think I’ve got a play style now. Mantis blades for close quarter, tech rifle (widowmaker) for medium range, a silenced sniper rifle for long range and stealth. I’m investing next few perk points in cold blood which seems to give excellent bonuses.

Control is excellent. I always liked Remedy supernatural games and Control is the best one yet.

I am going for simple Hack First, weaken them then headshots. I also picked up a Sniper Rifle that is somewhat powerful making mincemeat of most NPCs when shot in the head. Seen like 4k damage with it.

I finished the main game last night, at level 31. I thought was an excellent game from a non-RPG player's perspective, I bounced from mission to mission. The missions are on par with GTA and recent Dues Ex, while giving more freedom to approach things and the visuals are truly amazing.

Medal of Honor Above and Beyond VR game next. It's been a great gaming Christmas break, staying home and not allowed to visit relatives.

Back