I've had a photo published!!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Was it paid? If not, no respect, no one cares. It's like shooting fish in a very small barrel with a tank.

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Was it paid? If not, no respect, no one cares. It's like shooting fish in a very small barrel with a tank.
I would think that the op is very happy, paid or not.
Why the negativity?
You could have said 'great, good for you. If You've been paid for it, even better'.
But I guess some people just can't be happy for others.

Last edited:
Name
Hi Ho Silver away !
Edit My Images
No
Had my first photo published and credited. Only online but in the Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/9825...hed-gold-at-event-dubbed-the-skills-olympics/

Its only a simple thing but has made me really happy!!

T
Why the negativity?
You could have said 'great, good for you. If You've been paid for it, even better'.
A big congrats to you, I agree with @Nostromo as IMO it is a great feeling and something to be proud of so nice one :cool:

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Based on your website Paul, I suspect that Tony's aspirations are some distance behind your own. Your personal resume is excellent and it must have been quite challenging to write a whole page about yourself without using the word "t***"

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Why the negativity?
Because I've worked on picture desks, including the Sun picture desk and they have situations where they need a story, but have no budget, so they look for photos for free.

They literally will just contact photographers until they find a sucker who says 'yes'
#1 priority is not that you are a great photographer, or have a great photo, its that you are free. They've possibly contacted a dozen people before you all who turned them down.

And its the same in many areas of photography, if you are working for free or low pay, that is the reason foremost, not that you are in any means a good photographer. Its for this reason whilst many amateurs get exciting about being 'published' it not only means nothing in professional circles, but may actually hinder the progression of your career. As I said no respect is due, no kudos.

But the OP was paid, so congratulations!

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
Based on your website Paul, I suspect that Tony's aspirations are some distance behind your own. Your personal resume is excellent and it must have been quite challenging to write a whole page about yourself without using the word "t***"
Not to mention how much success he’s had without the ability to focus properly.

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
Why the negativity?
I guess there’s a number of ways to look at it. From the photographers point of view and where they are on the journey getting a major publication to use their photo is a great milestone.
From a professionals point of view, that’s been written about in many publications (see all the offers from influencers to promote the service in return for free photography) where credit doesn’t pay the bills and if publications can get photos for free why do they need to hire professionals.

I suspect the credit discussion will not conclude her but resurge again and again

Edit My Images
No
It was a paid gig, they covered all expenses, travel and visas etc so shelled nothing out up front.

It is not the money that had pleased me today, I am a designer branching out into photography and it feels like a bit of landmark to me!
Well done!

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
Well done! Hope its the first of many if that's your goal.

Name
Len
Edit My Images
Yes
Well done and even better that you got paid for it. :)

My only experience similar to this was a photograph of a local fireworks display organized by a local charity used by a local paper (made the front page, btw) several years ago. They also 'didn't have any budget' to use for it but I did agree provided that they credited me with a link to my website and said that the proceeds of any sales would be donated to the charity involved. They actually did this and I'm happy to say that the charity made a few quid. However, I did find out sometime afterwards that the small print allows for the paper to syndicate your photos (i.e. sell them to other papers) or even sell prints of the pic and pocket the money for themselves. Lesson well and truly learned.