I've had a photo published!!

Good for you :) (in a good way, not a sarcastic way, because it could read like that :))

Was it paid? If not, no respect, no one cares. It's like shooting fish in a very small barrel with a tank.

Was it paid? If not, no respect, no one cares. It's like shooting fish in a very small barrel with a tank.
I would think that the op is very happy, paid or not.
Why the negativity?
You could have said 'great, good for you. If You've been paid for it, even better'.
But I guess some people just can't be happy for others.

Last edited:
Had my first photo published and credited. Only online but in the Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/9825...hed-gold-at-event-dubbed-the-skills-olympics/

Its only a simple thing but has made me really happy!!

T
Why the negativity?
You could have said 'great, good for you. If You've been paid for it, even better'.

A big congrats to you, I agree with @Nostromo as IMO it is a great feeling and something to be proud of so nice one :cool:

super its a great feeling

Congtats Tony! You going to frame it and mount it on a wall?

Based on your website Paul, I suspect that Tony's aspirations are some distance behind your own. Your personal resume is excellent and it must have been quite challenging to write a whole page about yourself without using the word "t***"

Why the negativity?

Because I've worked on picture desks, including the Sun picture desk and they have situations where they need a story, but have no budget, so they look for photos for free.

They literally will just contact photographers until they find a sucker who says 'yes'
#1 priority is not that you are a great photographer, or have a great photo, its that you are free. They've possibly contacted a dozen people before you all who turned them down.

And its the same in many areas of photography, if you are working for free or low pay, that is the reason foremost, not that you are in any means a good photographer. Its for this reason whilst many amateurs get exciting about being 'published' it not only means nothing in professional circles, but may actually hinder the progression of your career. As I said no respect is due, no kudos.

But the OP was paid, so congratulations!

Excellent (y)

Why the negativity?
I guess there’s a number of ways to look at it. From the photographers point of view and where they are on the journey getting a major publication to use their photo is a great milestone.
From a professionals point of view, that’s been written about in many publications (see all the offers from influencers to promote the service in return for free photography) where credit doesn’t pay the bills and if publications can get photos for free why do they need to hire professionals.

I suspect the credit discussion will not conclude her but resurge again and again

It was a paid gig, they covered all expenses, travel and visas etc so shelled nothing out up front.

It is not the money that had pleased me today, I am a designer branching out into photography and it feels like a bit of landmark to me!

Well done!

Well done! Hope its the first of many if that's your goal.

Well done and even better that you got paid for it. :)

My only experience similar to this was a photograph of a local fireworks display organized by a local charity used by a local paper (made the front page, btw) several years ago. They also 'didn't have any budget' to use for it but I did agree provided that they credited me with a link to my website and said that the proceeds of any sales would be donated to the charity involved. They actually did this and I'm happy to say that the charity made a few quid. However, I did find out sometime afterwards that the small print allows for the paper to syndicate your photos (i.e. sell them to other papers) or even sell prints of the pic and pocket the money for themselves. Lesson well and truly learned.

I have had thousands of pictures published and paid for to the point where it's now the norm and doesn't do anything for me..

however... I do remember the first time and yes it's a great moment for any photographer paid or not.. I totally get it... and I will certainly slap you on the back for getting yours published.... enjoy the moment :) I know I did..

I would think anyone with a camera in the land would jump at the chance of getting published in a newspaper for the first time.. it's a natural thing... the money or lack of it doesn't come into it.. it's just a natural reaction....

On the subject of paid or not (I don't think the OP got paid by the sun newspaper is that correct?) It's the people who go on to do it again and again fully knowing the effect it has on the industry thats the problem IMHO

I have had thousands of pictures published and paid for to the point where it's now the norm and doesn't do anything for me..

however... I do remember the first time and yes it's a great moment for any photographer paid or not.. I totally get it... and I will certainly slap you on the back for getting yours published.... enjoy the moment :) I know I did..

I would think anyone with a camera in the land would jump at the chance of getting published in a newspaper for the first time.. it's a natural thing... the money or lack of it doesn't come into it.. it's just a natural reaction....

On the subject of paid or not (I don't think the OP got paid by the sun newspaper is that correct?) It's the people who go on to do it again and again fully knowing the effect it has on the industry thats the problem IMHO

I was shooting for a client, 10 days in Russia. I sorted and selected the images each day and handed over to the PR/Marketing team. Their PR guy got the pic into various newspapers and also on TV, one newspaper credited me with the pic which made my day!

I was paid for the job and I know that the paper did not pay for the pic, it went along with the story they were trying to get out 'there'.

There is no sign it will happen over and over again, I was the only photographer from the UK and worked directly for the uk media team, so it all depends on how good they are to if it will happen again. I am completely aware that it has nothing to do with how good the shot was!

T

I was paid for the job and I know that the paper did not pay for the pic, it went along with the story they were trying to get out 'there'.
T

Yes i am aware you got paid.. there where some people posting about supplying free pics to paper so was more addressing that issue rather than yourself... I work the same way you have done on many occasions :)

PS I didn't comment on the quality of the shot :)

Yes i am aware you got paid.. there where some people posting about supplying free pics to paper so was more addressing that issue rather than yourself... I work the same way you have done on many occasions :)

PS I didn't comment on the quality of the shot :)

I apologise if it came over a bit short, that was not intended! :) I was just stating out the situation as I may not have been clear on here (my fault)!

My comment about the quality was more about being in the right place at the right time with the camera pointed in the right direction and less about a technical perfection and beautiful composition. I think it is something I am realising and just talking through in my head, new published pics are about the moment, not the quality of pis (thankfully!!)

This is the pic... (it was raining a bit!)
IMG_1532.jpg

Back