Monthly Jason's 2013 ETC thread - February completed.

Good star trail shot, nicely framed by the foreground trees. I envy you having such an uninterrupted view of the pole star from your garden. Maybe you could try a bit of light painting on the trees the next time?

I'd never even heard of orbs till I found this challenge. I like this one The background is slightly soft on my monitor but the diffraction stars are great and add a lot to a very pleasing composition.

The sparkler shot is fun and effective, while the "dragon" is very imaginative and has come out pretty well particularly after the edit.

The physiogramme is nice and symmetrical, and I like your placing of Big Ben in the left of the frame.

(y)

Good star trail shot, nicely framed by the foreground trees. I envy you having such an uninterrupted view of the pole star from your garden. Maybe you could try a bit of light painting on the trees the next time?

I'd never even heard of orbs till I found this challenge. I like this one The background is slightly soft on my monitor but the diffraction stars are great and add a lot to a very pleasing composition.

The sparkler shot is fun and effective, while the "dragon" is very imaginative and has come out pretty well particularly after the edit.

The physiogramme is nice and symmetrical, and I like your placing of Big Ben in the left of the frame.

(y)
Thanks for the in depth crit :).

I don't think I'll be taking another garden star trail. I'll take them elsewhere when I get the chance and I'll think about a bit of light painting too.
The orb shot is soft on mine too. I don't know why it came out like that :thinking:, I wasn't happy with the lens I was using and have recently sold it, but I don't think I can blame the tools. Thanks for the other comments.
That sparkler flower is great!
It was a bit of good fun. They were slowly improving until I ran out of sparklers!

Ha, love your dragon (edit)! Maybe a touch dark, and maybe I'd have liked to see a few more bokeh spots, but other than that, spot on!

Love the flower; perfect!!!!

Not much to say here but bravo, all your shots have been top notch. Look forward to seeing more soon.

Ha, love your dragon (edit)! Maybe a touch dark, and maybe I'd have liked to see a few more bokeh spots, but other than that, spot on!

Love the flower; perfect!!!!

This.

I must try harder at the lightpainting because and can't draw for toffee:bonk:

Good show (y)
(y)

Not much to say here but bravo, all your shots have been top notch. Look forward to seeing more soon.
Thanks, I've been a bit slack so far this month, still plenty of time left!

February's themes:

Multiplicity.

Doubles Badminton. by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
This was one of the theme's I wasn't really interested in this month. Although they're fun to create and look at, I find them a bit tacky too.

Triptych.

Smoke Triptych by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
The smoke was from an incense stick and merged in the Paint module in Lightroom. The outer pictures are the same image just flipped to give some symmetry.

Contre Jour.

Contre Jour by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
I had a couple of better ideas for this but the sun has been tucked away behind layers of cloud the later half of this month :(

Bubbles.

Bubble reflection by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr

Water drops/water splash.

Wine splash by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
I did the traditional water drop last month that can be found here. So I gave water splash a go instead.

Natural Light.

Bushy Park Sunset by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr

These are really good Jason. And you've even managed to pre-empt March's theme of smoke trails!!!

Well done on the multiplicity as its wasn't really your thing.
The contre jour is fantastic, captured the theme bang on. I've had a nightmare with that as not seen the sun for weeks except when I'm at work!

Nice sharp Bubble, another I struggled with.

So tell the truth, how many attempts on the wine glass shot!! And is that a towel I spy underneath ;) (I tried this a made a hell of a mess but never really got the shot)

nice sunset too!!

Superb set, I commented on them a few days back on Flickr , I've still yet to try the multiplicity technique. The smoke triptych is superb , as are the rest!

These are really good Jason. And you've even managed to pre-empt March's theme of smoke trails!!!

Well done on the multiplicity as its wasn't really your thing.
The contre jour is fantastic, captured the theme bang on. I've had a nightmare with that as not seen the sun for weeks except when I'm at work!

Nice sharp Bubble, another I struggled with.

So tell the truth, how many attempts on the wine glass shot!! And is that a towel I spy underneath ;) (I tried this a made a hell of a mess but never really got the shot)

nice sunset too!!
Thanks for the comments :)

That could be a towel, but it could also be a new 'styled' textured table cloth... yeah ok, it's a towel! I took maybe 30 pictures, made a mess and most importantly had a lot of fun. (y)

Superb set, I commented on them a few days back on Flickr , I've still yet to try the multiplicity technique. The smoke triptych is superb , as are the rest!
Thanks as always Matt. :wave:

Hi Jason.

Great work there for Feb!

Multiplicity is a nice original take on the theme, and is very well executed. Yep they are tacky, but hey there's nothing wrong with that sometimes :)

Triptych is lovely. My only crit is that I'd ideally have liked three different but complementary shots rather than the outer two being mirrored, but it does work well. Bet you're kicking yourself though now that smoke art has come up for March!!

Contre Jour is another lovely one. I love the almost silvery feel it has.

Bubbles, I LOVE the simplicity of this one! The reflections are superb, and I love the composition! I'd maybe have completely blackened the background to avoid any distraction, but that is being picky :)

Water drops/water splash, I love everything about this one, right down to the texture of the towel and the DoF you've used on it. I can't help wondering what it'd be like with the glass shifted over to the left a bit, as if I do have a crit it's that it feels a tiny bit restricted?

Natural Light; beautiful shot. As I've said to others I think the theme is about using rather than taking pictures of natural light, but in this case I think you've done both by using the reflection and light on the water so nicely :)

Back