Monthly Jason's 2013 ETC thread - February completed.

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
So...after spotting Kelly's 2013 ETC idea, I thought it seemed rather cool and put my name down on the list. Six different photography techniques a month seems a perfect amount to keep it interesting and to challenge my ability (or lack of as it may turn out)!

I'll aim to attempt all 6 of the different techniques rather than 6 of 1 type.

Any comments are greatly appreciated (y)

January - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=5239880&postcount=2 Or just below.
February - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=5397968&postcount=50
March -
April -
May -
June -
July -
August -
September -
October -
November -
December -

Last edited:
January's themes:

1. Star Trails

Garden star trail by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
I really enjoyed the whole process of making this. It's something I'll be doing in the future when I can get somewhere with some decent foreground. This was supposed to be a test shot from my garden, but I don't think there'll be another clear sky this month :(

2. Domes/Orbs

Orbing at Hampton Court by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
My first orb that's not in my garden. I tried to get a light trail going on the bridge but it's not as prominent as I had hoped. Still, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

3. Sparklers/Fire Dancing

Sparkle sparkle by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
I tried to paint pictures with the sparklers, give someone wings, draw flowers etc, but they weren't really to my particular taste or style of photography. I've posted an example on post #35

4. Fairy Lights

Fire Breathing Dragon mk2 by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
I wanted a well lit face and completely black background apart from the lights. However I'm without off camera flash so had to bounce the flash off a wall and some of the light spread. I had to manipulate the sliders instead of capturing what I wanted in camera, so not ideal. This is the edited version, the original is on page 2.

5. Physiogram

Physiogram by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
I'd never even heard of this before it was set as a theme! I spent about 15 minutes spinning a Mini Maglite around in my bedroom before getting bored! There's another physiogram next to this on my Flickr that I nearly chose.

6. City Lights/Night Lights

Big Ben by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
See post #16 for more info.

Last edited:
Great pattern and I like the colour. Are you going to do the other techniques too?

Thanks Nicky. Yes I hope to try all of them. I've just posted my orb, next on the list is to wait for a clear night to give star trails a go! It's so cloudy at the moment tho :(

If the BBC get hold of this there'll be reports of UFO's over Hampton Court ;)
Really like them...great stuff

Very nice Orb - I think you may have done that before? Beautiful setting for it as well.

I like the colouring on your Physiogram, I did try a multi coloured one but it looked horrible. I wonder if we are going to get any clear nights for star trails?
Thanks. I've never tried orbing before this challenge. I practised for half an hour each of the 2 days before last night tho. I found it easier with 2 orbs to swing at the same time as there was more weight to keep them straight. the trade off is it's bit more difficult to turn them on and off tho at the same time.
I hope we'll get a clear night, I'm eager to give it a go.

If the BBC get hold of this there'll be reports of UFO's over Hampton Court ;)
Really like them...great stuff
Cheers, one of my family mentioned aliens when they saw it too. :LOL:

Excellent orbs, I can't find anything I don't like in the picture. I think the composition is good and the small aperture gives a great star effect in the street lights.

Cracking shots! Like this Physiogram carry on, will have to give it a try.

Need to do something with the fairy lights before we put them away.

Nicely done, you should be very pleased with them!

Hi Jason. That orb shot is great; how did you do an orb within an orb? Nice composition too.

I like the physiogram too; you've got a nice even pattern and lovely colours, even if you did get bored! Did you start the exposure before releasing the light though; I think I can see where it begins bottom left, or it might be where your exposure ended?

Excellent orbs, I can't find anything I don't like in the picture. I think the composition is good and the small aperture gives a great star effect in the street lights.
Thank you very much Nicky :)

Two crackers there, but the double orbs is fantastic.

Good show.

Cheers.
Cheers Andy, I'm very happy with how the double orb came out. One of my favourite pictures for a while certainly.

Cracking shots! Like this Physiogram carry on, will have to give it a try.

Need to do something with the fairy lights before we put them away.

Nicely done, you should be very pleased with them!
We've just packed our Christmas stuff away, managed to sneak the fairy lights away from the loft, I just need to come up with an idea to use them! Thanks for the comments.

Hi Jason. That orb shot is great; how did you do an orb within an orb? Nice composition too.

I like the physiogram too; you've got a nice even pattern and lovely colours, even if you did get bored! Did you start the exposure before releasing the light though; I think I can see where it begins bottom left, or it might be where your exposure ended?
Hey Mark. I twisted 2 lots of fairy lights together, one was slightly shorter in length and spun them at the same time. Turning them both off at the end was a struggle tho as I couldn't find the switch for one of them! I have no idea how that orb doesn't look warped. I'm very happy they turned out well tho. :D
I let the light swing for a bit before starting the exposure, the bit on the left could be a poorly timed beginning or just the end of the exposure, no idea!

Last edited:
Two amazing shots there so far Jason. Well worth the prior practise! The Hampton court shot is excellent as the background really compliments the image. Not sure I could go out and do this at night without risking a mugging, so I'll settle for my back garden :)

The Physiogram is also really good. I've struggled to get anything other than circles out of my camera. Any tips for a nice elipse like you've managed?

Ian.

Two amazing shots there so far Jason. Well worth the prior practise! The Hampton court shot is excellent as the background really compliments the image. Not sure I could go out and do this at night without risking a mugging, so I'll settle for my back garden :)

The Physiogram is also really good. I've struggled to get anything other than circles out of my camera. Any tips for a nice elipse like you've managed?

Ian.
Thanks Ian, I did bump into someone with a can of stella who showed some interest. He started asking me how much my equipment cost and to look at my pictures. I lied about the cost and moved on! :exit:

For my physiogram I think I swung the torch in a straightish line. So not in a circular motion. Just try different angles, get someone else to swing it or give the light a hit rather than a push. Good luck.

I like your orb shot, I think you could also put that shot into the City Lights/Night Lights category

I was quite annoyed to go into London for the first time with my camera and tripod for it to start raining... :bang: ...I lasted about an hour in the cold before heading back home in a mood! Not all of the buildings were lit fully either. :(
I didn't get half the shots I wanted, so will probably go back sometime for another go, any opinions/critique on which to use for the night lights category?

Big Ben by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr

Big Ben trails by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr

London Eye by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr

Houses of Parliament at night by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr

Last edited:
Four very beautiful shots you have captured there Jason. Don't mind if I add some comments?

Overall the shots are well exposed and nicely balanced between highlights and shadows. However, I find the signature a bit of a distraction IMHO.

Trails, I love the multi-colours light trails, however the tower is a bit wonky and the direction signs with the reflected light just spoiled the shot.

Eyes, I find the LE just a bit too far to the right.

HoP, shame about the unlit part of the building or else that would be an excellent shot. Those lights at the right edge also slightly spoiled the shot too.

Cheers

Four very beautiful shots you have captured there Jason. Don't mind if I add some comments?

Overall the shots are well exposed and nicely balanced between highlights and shadows. However, I find the signature a bit of a distraction IMHO.

Trails, I love the multi-colours light trails, however the tower is a bit wonky and the direction signs with the reflected light just spoiled the shot.

Eyes, I find the LE just a bit too far to the right.

HoP, shame about the unlit part of the building or else that would be an excellent shot. Those lights at the right edge also slightly spoiled the shot too.

Cheers
I appreciate all comments and crit, thank you (y)
Regarding the watermark. I agree, that's kind of what it's for. I've seen a few of my shots elsewhere on the web and i'm getting a bit bored of getting no recognition for them.

All your comments are inline with my own opinions, thanks. The last shot was the last of the day and I thought the lights might add something (I was wrong). After that I'd had enough of the weather and went home. I was going to just use #1 as it's the only one that doesn't have anything distracting in the image and the only one I couldn't pick at.

All good I think. The trails one is best IMHO, but yes the sign does spoil it a bit.

The eye would have been great with some movement in the wheel.

BTW, your camera is still set to summer time!

Wow love that 1st picture, in fact they're all really good, I feel guilty for doing six photos of one technique now lol!

Matt

Love all of these.
The light trail would have been the stand out but for the slight lean maybe it can be straightened in PP ?

I do though like the simplicity of Big Ben

Last edited:
Wow love that 1st picture, in fact they're all really good, I feel guilty for doing six photos of one technique now lol!

Matt

I would feel guilty too, that's just lazy ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm not too worried about straightening it Michael, I've gone for the Big Ben shot as my night lights pic, the other 3 can be ignored.

Cracking set Jason, the one with Big ben with the light streaks is the best imo

Steve

I like your star trails Jason. I agree a good foreground would be nice, but it does work with the trees, and you obviously had a still night as there's no movement in the branches.

Nice trail. I like the composition with the trees.

Am praying for a clear night before the months end but not holding out much hope!
Thanks, there was a semi clear night for me last night, hope you got lucky!

Big ben looks great and would be my pick of the four and you have some vdry nice star trails .

I was experimenting with a variation on star trails (clue -it begins with s and ends in w) but it stopped before I could get it right with the lights shinjng on it
Thanks Christine. I couldn't figure it out, what is this mystery variation?

Cracking set Jason, the one with Big ben with the light streaks is the best imo

Steve
Cheers Steve (y)

I like your star trails Jason. I agree a good foreground would be nice, but it does work with the trees, and you obviously had a still night as there's no movement in the branches.
Thanks Mark. I was lucky with the weather, just a shame I didn't want to brave the cold and go somewhere more interesting.

I really like all your shots! My fav would be the big ben light trail one! I like that you have done a number of different ones!
Thanks very much. :)
That's an excellent star trails shot, Jason.
Thanks Stan, I will definitely be giving star trails another go when I get another opportunity. Really enjoyed doing it.

Only a few more days left of the month! :eek:

Fire Breathing Dragon by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr

I wanted a well lit face and completely black background apart from the lights. However I'm without off camera flash so had to bounce the flash off a wall and some of the light spread. I had to manipulate the sliders instead of capturing what I wanted in camera, so not ideal. The idea was better than the execution.

Your sparkler art is great, very pretty.

I think two fairly simple things would really help your open mouthed fairy light effect - if you adjust the hue/saturation sliders - hue in this case until her hair takes on a green/gold effect that matches the lights. Then clone the nearest light to her and place it just inside her far lip so it looks as if it is inside her mouth - if you can do this on a separate layer so you can get it really close then erase the bits you don't need even better.

Thanks all, I was lucky that I had a pack of sparklers left over from new years. I'll keep giving each topic a go unless there's some reason I can't. T'is good fun.

Thanks for the crit Christine, I'll give the editing a go, hue should obviously be easy but only using Lightroom I may struggle with moving the lights into the mouth. I'll give it a go later and see how it turns out. I looked at your website yesterday and you've done some great editing on some of the pictures. I'm a fair way off what you can do! Thanks again.

EDIT: Here's a quick edit

Fire Breathing Dragon mk2 by Jason-Gardiner, on Flickr
A description of what I changed is in the Flickr description. Better?

Last edited:
Back