weekly JazzyG 2012 52 Week1 - Direction

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - not attempted anything like this before, but have signed up for 2012.
Looking forward to sharing and seeing how everybody else does.

Good luck to everybody! :)

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, look forward to seeing the pics (y)

good luck :) I'm still waiting for nicer weather lol

Thanks for the welcome guys - feeling really good about this decision already!

OK - here goes.... first pic for week 1 of 2012 and first pic I've put up for any sort of critique anywhere! (squints at screen through hand covered face).

The reason I joined the 52 was to make me get out with a focus and that's what happened today. I thought there might be some inspiration at the local cemetery and, although the weather wasn't very good, I couldn't resist this.

OK - all comments very welcome - Graeme :)

Direction_1_of_1_.jpg

arrow pointing upwards toward heaven? very good! I also like the shot despite the grey sky :clap:

Phew! Thanks Summer - appreciate you taking the time. G.

Nice subject, shame about the doll sky. I could see this... Maybe a landscape shot from further away with the tower silhouetted on the skyline behind a sunset for good measure.

Nice subject, shame about the doll sky. I could see this... Maybe a landscape shot from further away with the tower silhouetted on the skyline behind a sunset for good measure.

Hi OptiBull - thank you for the comment and you're right, the sky lets it down - if we get some better weather, maybe I'll go back and give it another go.

The more I look at it I think it's a bit tight at the top - bit more room might have helped.

Thanks again - G.

Thanks Michael - there was a tree to my right that I wanted to keep out of the frame, but it's definitely too tight at the top.

Thank you for the comment - G.

I really like the perspective with the trees so small in the distance. Shame about the sky but nothing you can do about that. Only other suggestion would be to lighten the crucifix or turn it into a silhouette-it's a bit between the two for me. A good start. Keep it up!

Well done Graeme, agree with the others that it's a bit tight at the top but certainly fits the theme. Selective lightening of the column coupled with a levels adjustment to the sky would make it even better.

Thank you CJ & Gramps - appreciate the feedback.

Confession time - I wouldn't have a clue where to start on 'selective lightening of the column coupled with a levels adjustment to the sky' - any further tips extremely welcome.

Thanks - Graeme.

Good start! I'm starting this year(well next) too.

I agree with the others that it's a bit tight at the top, and I'm not sure if it's just me, but it may need rotated antiCC a tiny percentage.

When you mentioned cemetery I was thinking that this was a morbid start to the year lol then I seen which way the direction was!

Good start! I'm starting this year(well next) too.

I agree with the others that it's a bit tight at the top, and I'm not sure if it's just me, but it may need rotated antiCC a tiny percentage.

When you mentioned cemetery I was thinking that this was a morbid start to the year lol then I seen which way the direction was!

Lol AgentG - I had the same concern - especially as it was my first post :)

Good luck with your 52! - Graeme.

I like the image - I can imagine you taking ever more steps backward to fit the whole scene in!

With your permission, I can do a quick and dirty tutorial on selective lightening on your photo?

Thanks Mandy

Last edited:
I like the image - I can imagine you taking ever more steps backward to fit the whole scene in!

With your permission, I can do a quick and dirty tutorial on selective lightening on your photo?

Thanks Mandy

Mandy - I'd be only too happy for you to have a go - thank you. G:)

That works well Graeme.
A very clever bit of composition with the smaller cross behind it echoing the main focal point. For me the sky isn't a huge problem, there's just enough cloud detail there to stop it being completely flat, although I agree that the cross could do with a bit of lightening to stand out better against it . . . sounds like Mandy has that in hand for you though.

That works well Graeme.
A very clever bit of composition with the smaller cross behind it echoing the main focal point. For me the sky isn't a huge problem, there's just enough cloud detail there to stop it being completely flat, although I agree that the cross could do with a bit of lightening to stand out better against it . . . sounds like Mandy has that in hand for you though.

Thanks Sarah - appreciate you stopping by and the comments. I'm really looking forward to seeing Mandy's version - lighting specific parts of an image (rather than the whole thing) is a bit of a mystery to me. I'm hoping to learn something.

G.

Right - here we go - my disclaimer is that the below will probably be clear as mud, so I'm happy to email an action for you to play with: EDIT - I've removed my email address in case the spammers get me!

I used CS4, so nor do I know how this will translate into the photo editing software you have at home.

Arty Farty = editing photographs is about 'guiding' the viewer into 'reading' the story or intent behind the image. I over cooked my recent images, so I'm not the best person to be saying this at the moment.

The Story = your image is about 'direction' so we need to point this out to the viewer by emphasising 1. the upward direction of the column 2. the key part of the Christian symbol (the cross) 3. the abstract projection of 'looking up to heaven'.

How = film processing used 'dodge and burn' or 'lightening and darkening'. By outlining different parts of the image we are creating the illusion of 'sharpness'. Think lip liner on a women (or man!) to emphasis the lips or kohl on the eyes.

#1 - All the layers in order

Step 1 - press control / command J to duplicate the background layer (never edit on your master layer)

Overview by M@ndy, on Flickr

#2 - create a levels layer

Step 2 - press the black/while circle icon and select 'levels'. Press the white mask. Then press control/command 'I' to inverse the mask (to black).

Step 2:1 press 'B' for brush and 'D' to default the colours to black and white. Make sure you have 'white' showing by pressing 'X'. With your brush, paint over the mask to select the parts you want to brighten.

Levels by M@ndy, on Flickr

Step 2:2 go to the levels panel, move the right triangle to the left to brighten the image. Stop when you think the image looks nice.

Dodge by M@ndy, on Flickr

#3 - create a new levels layer

Step 3 - repeat the above steps. In the levels panel choose the left hand triangle and move it to the right. This time I created false shadows on the sides of the column to create the illusion that is was taller, which in turn made it a powerful symbol.

Burn by M@ndy, on Flickr

#4 - make the sky dramatic

Step 4 - select your master layer. Press ctl/cmd 'J' to create a new layer. Set the blend mode to 'linear burn'.

Darken-Skies by M@ndy, on Flickr

Add a layer mask (see below). Press ctl/cmd 'I' to inverse to black and paint carefully on the sky to make the clouds believable. Look again at the image above, I pressed '4' to drop the opacity to 40% to control how dark the clouds looked.

ScreenShot009 by M@ndy, on Flickr

Confused? You betcha!

The image is also perfect for a B&W rendition.

Sorry for bamboozling you! Mandy

P.S. see images large on flickr.

Last edited:
Mandy - that just looks so much better - thank you.

But you're right, I'm struggling to follow your tutorial above. Email on the way!

Thanks - Graeme.

Hi Graeme....good start to your challenge . All crit mentioned.....so just wanted to say (y) & best of luck with the next 51 weeks .

Cheers

Thanks Lynne,

Looking forward to checking in on yours too. Good luck :)

Thanks Mandy

Interesting location...I'd agree and like to see more of the structure.

Cheers.

A great start Graeme, I like it... clear and precise... Might have been a good candidate for HDR with those skies... not the burn your eyes type... but a subtle one, just to retain the clouds and arrow.

Back