jeangenie's 52 for 2010 - Week 26 Beginnings

Thank you for the supportive comments for last week - I really had reached a low point one way and another, and your comments made me feel better and much more positive. :)

So, it seems appropriate this week that the theme is Beginnings. We are Beginning the second half of the year; my mojo is beginning to stir out of its pit, and while inspiration is still lacking, my enthusiasm is Beginning to return. :) I had hoped to take this photo at the Beginning of the day (ie sunrise!) but a very late night last night put paid to that. :LOL:

My Beginnings is my allotment.

I've had the plot for three years and it was choked with weeds. Over this time and with help (mainly from Mr JG, who hates gardening, but still helped :love: ) we've gradually cleared the ground. It's been very slow going, and the choice was often between clearing a bit more or cultivating crops on the land we had cleared. But this year despite the worst spring in years, we managed to get most of it cleared and planted. And now, at the Beginning of July, I feel that we have the Beginnings of a proper, grown-up, fully-planted plot. And in the euphoria of returning enthusiasm, I 've made one more new Beginning by downloading from my Flickr instead of my TP Gallery which is getting full, again. :)

4761996108_fc40670d1e_b.jpg

I'm sorry I'm being an allotment bore, but I am quite chuffed with how it's looking at the moment, with broad beans, beetroot, potatoes, onions, garlic, runner and French beans, sweetcorn, courgettes, perpetual spinach and sprouting broccoli. There's still one small area still to be cleared and of course the whole plot needs regular hoeing to keep the worst of the weeds at bay, but at long last there are more crops than weeds. :banana::banana::banana:

I realise this is just a 'record' shot and I would have liked to get a better angle, but it would have meant trampling on the broad beans. :eek: :)

Thanks for looking :)

Jean

Last edited:
That allotment is definitely beginning to take shape and it looks like you are winning the war against the weeds for now.As you say the shot could have been taken at a better angle to make it more interesting but it fits the theme.

Aw Jean, sorry you've been struggling :hug:

A run of themes you can't relate to (and one of them Grunge - again!) makes you doubt your mojo.

Beginnings fits the theme alright but it's just a little crowded with details. Though I must admit you've got a lot of Beginnings in there, and in your description :D

You must be really chuffed with how the allotment's progressed in 3 years (even with Mr JG's help) (y)

I realise this is just a 'record' shot and I would have liked to get a better angle, but it would have meant trampling on the broad beans. :eek: :)

Thanks for looking :)

Jean

Jean, I would disagree with you here (in the nicest possible way :)).
Sometimes I think an image doesn't have to have artistic merit, or be too creative. It is a moment in time that means something to you as the photographer/allotmenter (thats not a word btw I made that up, clever eh?:D). FWIW, I like it, I like the range of green colour going from front to back in the image. Its on theme, a nice side story too. Well done(y)

nice looking allotment .. must take a lot of time to look after. It is a busy picture but then it does show off all your hard work.

I don't think you need to apologise for this shot - as a record of your hard work and achievement it deserves its place in your collection. Although we are often trying to do the arty-farty stuff I think the ones that document our lives are just as interesting - just a pity you couldn't persuade Mr JG to pose with his spade!

Even thought it didn't inspire you post is brilliant! Really like how you've captured a post box and so much green. I don't see that too often in London so it brought a smile to my face!

Have to agree with the others on Metal. Like it all the same.

Grunge, not bad! Horrible theme! Nuf said!

Beginnings, love the shot and the idea, but you've gone and given my brain a battle of deciding whether or not it's level :LOL:. Would have loved a really nice close up of one of the shoots though ;) great idea though! (y)

Well done Jean :clap: that sounds like a lot of really hard work, but it's paid off nicely. The shot fits the theme well to. Glad you're climbing up out of mojolessnessdom too.

OK it may be a "record shot" but it is a well executed one. The whole frame is sharp and bright. It looks like a photo that would appear in a gardening magazine.

I bet if you had a shot from the start of your allotmenting it would really show the hard work you have put in.

Andy

Well done with this one, Jean. It looks like an awful lot of hard work has gone into that allotment. I may be nit-picking, but I would rotate it to the left by about 1 degree. Other than that I really like it and it fits the theme very well. I love the different green colours.

Jenny

Great fit for the theme and delighted to see such a well-maintained allotment. The shot is fine as-is, but as you point out, a lower angle might have drawn the viewer in more!

Phil

Back