Jenny's 52 for 2010 - Flora & Fauna in an English Country Garden - Week 26 - HALFWAY!

Your are truely talented Jenny.

You manage to convene the pure essence of nature in all of your photos-stunning.

Your garden Jenny comes across as being so idyllic. :)

Oh Jenny I'm sorry I've been so neglectful of your thread recently :(

You have such an eye for taking pictures and also taking opportunities as they land (quite literally :D) on your doorstep.

It's also obvious that you are enjoying the whole process too.

Long may you continue :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

You are truely talented Jenny.

You manage to convene the pure essence of nature in all of your photos-stunning.

Graham, that is praise indeed. Thank you. I try to capture the wonder of nature but a lot of the time it is just luck. I think I am artistic enough to understand what makes a good photo but I really struggle with the technical side of photography. I wish I had more time to practise.

I find reading these forums and seeing other peoples styles and techniques is really useful.

Jenny

You have such an eye for taking pictures and also taking opportunities as they land (quite literally :D) on your doorstep.

It's also obvious that you are enjoying the whole process too.

Long may you continue :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Jill, thanks for your comments. Yes, I really enjoy taking these photos, but doing this 52 has really concentrated my mind and spurred me into action. The last few weeks the weather has been miserable but because I have to produce something to post each week, I have been getting off my backside and experimenting much more than usual. So, hopefully I will improve over the year.

Yes, I have to take the opportunities when they present themselves. Wildlife don't usually hang around long for a photo shoot!

Jenny

You have some wonderful shots here, Jenny. So far my favourite is the bottle tits - a stunning capture. I have tried to take them a few times in the past but they are just too fast for me...

I have called the first one "Survivor". This little pansy has survived temperatures of -11C and 8 inches of snow this winter and I did not even plant it!

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Now that's where I've been going wrong - planting things. :D

It's a cracking shot, Jenny and the pansy shows no signs at all of the miserable conditions it's suffered. The warmth in the shot is just beautiful. :)

I love the expression on the deer's face and yes, breakfast doesn't look very appetising. Well captured. :clap:

I really sympathise about the weather - I'm having the same problems on my Growing project - and I live on the south coast. If it's not freezing cold, with an icy wind, it's pouring with rain and/or the light is dismal. Roll on Spring - please. :) But you're right about the 52 making you get the camera out when there's little prospect of a decent shot - and look what stunning photos you've produced. Keep up the good work. (y)

Jean

Thanks, Tracer and Jean.

Yes, LTTs are a real pain. They never stop moving. This is the first time I have managed a halfway decent shot.

Jean, I am starting to get worried about how this weather will affect everything this spring. I have daffodils in bud but they are only 2 inches high. The crocuses are starting to flower but are really pathetic. I love spring so much and I hope it is not going to be spoilt by all this awful weather.

Jenny

Well, another awful week. Rain, snow, mist, grey, damp, wind and a tiny bit of sun. The garden does not know what is happening :(

I knew exactly what I wanted to shoot this week and managed to get a couple of photos during a brief interlude of reasonable (albeit cold) weather.

Firstly, I noticed the hazel catkins have opened. Maybe spring is on the way? Interestingly, the hazel catkins appeared on the trees in October. I was so surprised I made a note of it in my blog. They were tightly closed, of course, and have remained that way until recently. At the first sign of spring, the catkins open to release their pollen, which is what they have done this week. So, here is my first. I deliberately took this into a watery sun because I wanted it backlit, but in a browser it looks very disappointing. When I open it in Paintshop, there is no banding on the background and it looks much better.

Img_3322d.jpg

Next, I wanted to revisit the snowdrops. When I took them a few weeks ago, they were barely open. I wanted a shot of a single snowdrop that was open. I am rather dissatisfied with the shadow across the central part of the flower but there has been no opportunity to reshoot.

Img_3353b.jpg

Now ..... oh no, not more deer shots :shake:

I was not planning any more deer shots this week, but when they spend so much time right outside the house, I can't help but photograph them. I know these photographs will never win any awards. Shooting through double glazing and in very bad light conditions does not help. But, I thought I would include them anyway because I think they are interesting.

In the summer, when I spot them, I sneak outside to try to get decent shots, but frankly it is too cold, wet and grey to do that at the moment. In addition, I don't want to scare them away because they are obviously hungry and must be running out of food in the woods to spend so much time so close to the house in broad daylight.

Firstly, I caught this guy in the act of eating my heather. He must be very hungry because they don't normally eat heather. You can also see that he is starting to moult. His fur has become very patchy.

Img_3419b.jpg

Next, I have an apology to make to this little chap. A couple of weeks ago I called him a girl. He has now started to grow his antlers and is most definitely a boy. This is the guy who must have been caught on some barbed wire and has a huge patch of fur ripped from his back.

Img_3435c.jpg

Finally, this one is just for fun. I mentioned the 3 Muskadeers because they hang around in this threesome - 2 boys and girl. I am not impressed with her toilet manners!

Img_3676b.jpg

Fingers crossed for better weather next week.

Jenny

Some lovely shots there Jenny. I know what you mean about the garden. Our place looks like a big swamp what with the chickens running riot and the ducks thoroughly enjoying the wet weather to dig bloody great big holes in the mud.

The snowdrop is my favourite shot of the week. It's a lovely close up and the shadow doesn't detract that much. I also like the backlight on the Catkins.

"Say cheese" is my favourite deer shot. Looks more like "Who...? Me??"

I too am hoping for better weather this week!!

Ian.

Beautiful photographs - real pleasure to look through your thread. There are so many goodies I can't pick out a favourite :)

Another stunning bunch of pictures, Jenny. :clap::clap::clap:

Although I have to say I'm rather cross with you! You've beaten me to the catkin shot! I planned to capture catkins just starting to open up, but when I had time the sky was so grey and heavy it wasn't worth getting cold and wet for. But then I know they wouldn't have turned out as well as this stunning shot, so it saves my red face. :)

The snowdrop is beautiful and the shadowing doesn't detract imo. :)

The deer photos continue to delight - absolutely beautiful, and I think you must have very, very clean windows. :)

I really look forward to next week's shot(s) and I hope we all have some better weather.

Jean

Thanks to Ian, Lizbeth and Jean for your comments.

Ian, I understand about the holes in the mud. All sorts of creatures have been scratching around under our bird feeders and they have dug muddy holes in the lawn. I am not sure it will ever recover.

Oh Jean, sorry about beating you to the catkins! I had been eyeing them up for a few weeks just waiting for the right time to capture them. I will let you into a secret for next week - it was going to be crocuses. There was a little patch of purple ones right beside the kitchen door that had just opened and starting to look very pretty. However, I went out this morning and virtually all of them have been eaten. Very angry!

Jenny

Oh Jean, sorry about beating you to the catkins! I had been eyeing them up for a few weeks just waiting for the right time to capture them. I will let you into a secret for next week - it was going to be crocuses. There was a little patch of purple ones right beside the kitchen door that had just opened and starting to look very pretty. However, I went out this morning and virtually all of them have been eaten. Very angry!

Jenny

All I can say is I hope whatever ate your crocuses was really hungry and enjoyed them. I'd be angry, too. :LOL: I gave up on crocuses long ago - they always seemed to get trampled on by the dogs or eaten. :bang: I'm sure you'll find something just as nice, though. :)

Jean

I'm consistently impressed with all your shots Jenny. They're all so sharp and vivid. If you don't put all or most of these into a book at the end of the year it would be a shame. Keep up the great work :clap:

If you don't put all or most of these into a book at the end of the year it would be a shame. Keep up the great work :clap:

Thanks, Darren. Unfortunately, a few of the shots (mostly high ISO deer shots) have been heavily cropped and are not very sharp, so would be unsuitable for a book. When resizing for the web, it is much easier to make photos look good and sharp. Printing is a different matter.

However, a good majority of the photos are print quality and I have started to put a book together already. I thought that doing it month by month would be easier than a huge job at the end of the year.

Jenny

Very well done Jenny. A lovely set there. The snowdrop is excellent, and the shadow isn't an issue.. well caught on the deer too.

Another cracking set of images - well done! I love all of them except the deer pooing!!

I particular like the subtle colouring on the catkins - that added to the smooth bokeh makes for a very appealing image.

Phil

Thanks Phil and John. I appreciate your comments.

Well, I have been a bit spoilt for choice this week. I did not trust the weather forecast, so felt obliged to try some shots in the rain "just in case". I rather liked them so thought I would post a couple of them.

Firstly, Mr GSW is a regular visitor along with his missus and actually it is very difficult to take decent shots of a great spotted woodpecker when it is sunny. My photographic skills don't encompass being able to handle black and white in sunny shots! So, he was a perfect candidate for a rainy shot. I rather liked the streaks of rain on this shot and was tempted to add more, but I would probably have messed it up, so I didn't.

Img_3775b.jpg

Next, the bane of my life...

Img_3779d.jpg

I really object to spending money on bird food, just to have it stolen :( But at least I have outwitted him with the hanging feeders, much to his disgust.

Then the weather changed for the better.

Jean, I found out what was eating the crocuses - pheasants. I caught them in the act. However, I hunted around and found a clump that they did not find! So, here are my crocus shots which I did not think I would be able to manage.

Img_3939e.jpg

The bee was just a stroke of luck :)

Img_3872c.jpg

Finally, I have not had much time at all this week but felt I had to snap this one. So, all I could manage was a quick snap with the point and shoot. I am not posting this for the quality of the photo but just to show a wonderful milestone after this awful winter that we have endured.

Cimg9893a.jpg

The first daffodil. Spring is indeed here :D:D:D

I am not posting any deer shots this week although I have taken dozens. The Three Muskadeers has now changed into the "Gang of Four" with the addition of a guy with a very impressive set of antlers. They are obviously very hungry because they hang around the garden every day and are even eating the Laurel. I even managed to open a window the other day to take some shots without the double glazing in the way.

As usual C&C very welcome.

Jenny

Some beautiful shots in your 52, Jenny. (y)

As a townie, I feel so envious of the deer visiting your garden, and what lovely captures you got of them too!

I too find the Lichen quite intrigueing so enjoyed seeing those.

The depth of colour on the Crocus shots is a welcome sight indeed, look forward to seeing more as the seasons unfold :)

Finally...! Daffs!!

Getting so fed up of dank grey days, the M6, rain and Winter.

Lovely Bee shot, and some beautiful colours in all of them. They look a bit funny round the edges though, especially the Daffs. Is that down to the DoF, or is it over-sharpened slightly? Or is it (more likely) my monitor screen.

Either way, this is hopefully a turning point in seeing some colour in the garden. Watching with anticipation of week 10!

Ian.

As a townie, I feel so envious of the deer visiting your garden, and what lovely captures you got of them too!

Thanks, Glo. I am very lucky with the deer, but they are probably not as uncommon as you think. Briony mentioned in another post that a muntjac and it's whole family regularly visit her Mum's garden and come right onto the patio for food.

I don't live in a particulary remote location and the deer must roam through most of the villages around here.

I just wish they were not so nervous. However, I have just been outside and got to within about 30 metres of them. It would be nice if they could learn to trust me.

Jenny

Finally...! Daffs!!

Getting so fed up of dank grey days, the M6, rain and Winter.

Lovely Bee shot, and some beautiful colours in all of them. They look a bit funny round the edges though, especially the Daffs. Is that down to the DoF, or is it over-sharpened slightly? Or is it (more likely) my monitor screen.

Either way, this is hopefully a turning point in seeing some colour in the garden. Watching with anticipation of week 10!

Ian.

Thanks, Ian. Yes, colour at last. :)

Maybe I have over sharpened them, although they look okay on my monitor. Does anyone else think they are over sharpened and I will do them again?

I had no control over the DOF of the daffs. As I said, it was a case of point and shoot with my tiny Casio. Just for the record, really.

Jenny

Wow! More great shots - I love all of them, but I feel the squirrel shots looks over-sharpened. The flower shots a super!

Phil

Wow! More great shots - I love all of them, but I feel the squirrel shots looks over-sharpened. The flower shots a super!

Phil

Thanks, Phil. In the past I did not sharpen my shots enough, so I am trying to sharpen them more. But, it is difficult to know when I have overdone it, so I appreciate the feedback.

Jenny

Some more fantastic offerings for the week, beautiful colours. Seen plenty of squirrels about but no bees or indeed flowers! As to sharpening, the squirrel looks OK to me, however my first thought was that the bee shot looked over sharpened :)

Your shots make me wish I was away in the country somewhere. Must be my turn to win the lottery soon.

I can feel your excitement that spring is finally here, Jenny. For the first time, I had a choice of what to shoot this week in the garden, and managed a couple of days shooting in the forest, too. :D:D:D

Thank you for the crocus shots - I love them! The detail of the pollen is gorgeous and I bet the bee gathered loads of it. At least your crucus get eaten by something interesting - I only ever seem to lose plants and flowers to slugs and aphids. :puke:

Mr Woody is sooooo handsome. Well captured, and I agree the rain drops are just enough. Sometimes the clever thing is to do nothing. :clap:

The squirrel might be the bane of your life - but it's a good photo. It doesn't look oversharpened to me, but I think that fur with several colours in it can give a kind of illusion of oversharpening. I've noticed it with one of my dogs even when I haven't been near a sharpening tool.

Congratulations on your first daff! I still haven't got any flowers out - hopefully this week! :)

Jean

Simply the best flower photos I've seen and the GSW is fantastic. So very well done.

Those are beautiful yet again Jenny :clap:
I know I've said it before, but you're so lucky to have all of that in your back garden, and you're doing a fantastic job of capturing it.

OK, so grey squirrels really are a pain in the rear, but they do make for a cute photo. That one's really well done - lovely sparkle in his eye.

The GSW is simply a stunning shot - I just wish we had something that exotic visiting our garden.

And the flowers : absolutely gorgeous and it's great to feel like Spring is finally on its way.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Sorry I have not been around for a week to respond. I have also fallen way behind with commenting on others threads. I will do my best to catch up in the coming week. I have even lost track of your themes.

I had a bit of a panic situation because I did not want to miss a week. Luckily I have made it just in time, although the shots this week are a bit disappointing.

Firstly, the reason for the delay...

Cimg9978a.jpg

I don't take my DSLR with me when I go skiing so it is just a snap with my P&S which fits neatly in my pocket. As you can see, I like to get away from it all when on holiday:)

The next one was just for a bit of fun, taken just before I went away. I really like the way his antlers are backlit. I should really clone in the hooves to fit right down onto his back :D

Img_4068b.jpg

Today, I have been trying to get some better photos but not much has changed in the garden during my absence. However, the frogs have been busy in the pond.

This is not a good photo, but I am including it anyway. Firstly, I nearly fell in the pond trying to get the photo. Secondly, I think it is a bit out of the ordinary with the refections. I should not really mention this, but that is my reflection in each of the eggs!

Cimg9819c.jpg

Finally, there was a little dunnock hanging round underneath the feeders all day. He was a fluffy little thing and looked suspiciously like a youngster, but I think it is a bit early for that. He was also a bit stupid and allowed me to get much closer than is usually possible. However, this photo is still heavily cropped. He also did not stand out against the background but having him backlit helped. You can see the state of my lawn. It is a disgrace.

Img_4154b.jpg

Hope to do better next week.

Jenny

Last edited:
Nothing to apologise for Jenny. More great shots from you. I see it's been snowing in your back garden :LOL: Loving the synchronised deer and the dunnock is a stunner.

I see it's been snowing in your back garden :LOL: Loving the synchronised deer and the dunnock is a stunner.

Thanks, Darren. It is positively balmy back here at home. One day last week, the temperature went down to -23C with a high of -10C!

Jenny

Another set of super shots. I would never have thought frogspawn would make such an interesting photo! My favourite, though, is the dunnock - it has a lovely 'fluffiness' about it which is a contrast to the more typically clinical bird shots that appear on forums.

Phil

You've been busy again, Jenny. :)

What a pity the ski slopes were so crowded! I looks gorgeous with lots of 'good' snow. :)

I love the acrobatic deer shot and at first glance I didn't realise it was frog spawn - it looks almost metallic, like a lot of oily ball bearings. (With apologies to mummy and daddy frogs for insulting their offspring) :)

The little dunnock is #1 for me this week - and your lawn looks much the same as ours. My excuse at the moment is that it's too frosty at night to start doing anything with it yet - and I'm too busy digging the allotment now it's dried out a bit. :)

Jean

Thanks, Phil, Jean and Nick. I was surprised the Dunnock was so fluffy. That's why I thought it was a youngster. I have never seen a fluffy dunnock before. They are normally quite sleek. It was not even cold that day, which is usually the reason they "fluff up".

Jenny

As you all know light is critical to a decent photo. So, the problem with committing to take photos each week is that you are at the mercy of whatever light the weather throws at you. I don't usually take photos indoors in a studio setup so I really am at the mercy of the weather.

This week started fine but sadly I had no time to take any photos at the beginning of the week. As the weather deteriorated, I found a bit of time here and there, but most of my shots this week are fairly high ISO, so not the best.

The deer have spent much of the week sitting in the woods just outside my garden. They watch us walk up and down the drive, but are far enough away to not feel threatened by us. They are incredibly well camouflaged, blending in the with dead leaves, bracken and trees. The only way to spot them is their white bottoms. I snuck up on one of them and managed this photo. The green shoots are the bluebells just coming through. In a month's time, it will be a carpet of blue :D.

Img_4273d.jpg

The squirrels must have run out of nuts and acorns in their stashes. Three of them have been an almost permanent feature under the bird feeder this week.

Here is one of the little b******ds.

Img_4323b.jpg

The warmer weather has brought out the moths and this little chap (chapess?) was on our kitchen window the other night. There is no easy way to take decent photos of moths at night, so if anyone has any suggestions how to improve moths photos, I would be very happy to hear them. It was actually raining when I took this but I thought it was rather pretty.

Cimg9827d.jpg

Finally, I was not planning to upload any more this week, but after watching a couple building their nest today, I thought I should include this series. The weather was awful and so was the light, so the quality is not good, but they tell a story.

Interestingly, she was having a lot of trouble getting through the hole - too fat. Each time she went in she pecked at the hole trying to make it bigger. The other hole that you can see, is where a woodpecker was trying to peck it's way into the nest last year to eat the babies :( I am pleased to say it was unsuccessful. Nature really can be cruel sometimes.

Img_4640b.jpg

Img_4540b.jpg

Img_4588b.jpg

You can see the sky was very grey. I tried to colour it a bit but it did not look natural, so I just left it as it was. Maybe I will get some better shots in a few weeks when she is feeding the babies.

As usual, C&C very welcome, but please bear in mind my uphill struggle with the weather/light.

Jenny

Last edited:
Back