Jessops on the verge of administration

With regards to people importing, this has always been an option, but now with the Internet, it makes it easier. The only way to deter this kind of thing is to impose high fines on goods found to be circumventing vat.

If you are buying a Camera in HK for £1000, but in this country it is £1300, then yes at this moment in time some would probably go the HK route, but if you faced the possibility of having to pay a rather large fine, plus tax and import duty, then i'm sure that would dry up the supply chain some what.

how would you enforce your internet tax when people start ordering from French/German/Dutch Internet retailers?

What is wrong with everyone?

n.b. in a grumpty mood as you can see.

This has been reported lots of times over the last 2 pages :bonk:

Jessops - Advice for Life, should read 'A Vice for Life'
Website now down, just a letter from the administrator telling customers of how to claim for vouchers etc. From going into administration 2 days ago to a total closure today, just shows how bad this company has been in for a very, very long time. Its been all smoke, mirrors and daggers from Brookes, Langley and Moore and associated cronies since 1996 and the debacle of a management buy-out. I hope all those guys are spending their bonuses well.

I think that would be a very bad situation, the government is not here to subsidise or distort a free market economy. The people that manage these companies need to run their businesses appropriately. It is what the free market is all about, not the role of the state to interrupt that flow.

<cough>

Last year Virgin Trains received a government subsidy of £20 million

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-inflation-busting-rail-fare-increases.html

etc etc

I just hope the staff got some sort of redundancy payment, doubt it though.

Jez2011 said:
I just hope the staff got some sort of redundancy payment, doubt it though.

They will. There is a Government fund which pays out in circumstances like this. As was reported further up the thread one week for every year of service. Think it is capped at 12 weeks.

Still cannot see how the administrators can lay claim to goods taken in for repair.

They can't, simple as that, it's your property if its not returned, simply report it stolen, let the police know who's got it.

They can't, simple as that, it's your property if its not returned, simply report it stolen, let the police know who's got it.

And you know what they will say?

"Sorry Sir, that's a civil matter."

Decency doesn't prevail in administration as customers are not first in the chain to get their goods or a full refund. It's backwards. The banks/hmrc are always first in line. They should be last. Suppliers should be next after customers to be paid out or have their stock returned. Then HMRC & banks should be last. If the company has gone bust they weren't profitable so they can't exactly be in a position to be paying taxes unless directors have taken money. Then directors need to be pursued for outstanding taxes if there has been any funny business or total incompetence going on.

HMRC need paying, nothing to do with profit, it's the vat and paye that will be missing, why should the tax payer take the burden?

how would you enforce your internet tax when people start ordering from French/German/Dutch Internet retailers?

But these countries are not the problem as we will be paying that countries VAT at source.

It is the grey imports where no VAT is being paid that is the problem for our EU member states and therefore damaging our EU economy of which we pay a massive amount into each year.

Just to clarify.......sales VAT is not the same as import VAT of which we will not have to pay if bringing goods into the UK (not including tobac and boooze etc)

Last edited:
I suspect that the speed of closure of all stores is as a consequence of having no "unencumbered" stock to sell to generate cash. This allows the administrators to continue trading, assuming that suppliers agree to fulfill purchase orders placed by the administrator.

By unencumbered I mean no claim of title to the goods by the supplier. It is quite likely, however, that suppliers have this wrapped up in terms and conditions of sale meaning that much of the stock will still be owned by the suppliers.

So no existing stock to turn in to cash and no new stock means there is no way that the administrators can trade the business profitably. Add to that no takers for a trade sale of the business, then difficult to see how the insolvency period could be cash positive.

I'm no expert in insolvency law, but my understanding is that the administrators are liable for any trading losses in the administration period.

As drastic as it sounds, some form of Internet tax will need to be introduced over the next few years to help high street retailers compete with online companies, or price fixing needs to be introduced again. Yes all these seem unpleasant, but at the end of the day we need the high street to survive.

Where I agree with the above, I cannot see how they are going to tackle the sites that are operating abroad. As it is not just the UK sites that have caused problems, I think the biggest problems come from the sites that operate from the Fareast offering grey imports.

I was in John Lewis in the week the prices of camera gear was no different from Jessops, but where they did excel was customer service.

I do get the impression from this thread that perhaps that is where Jessops let themselves down.

But these countries are not the problem as we will be paying that countries VAT at source.

It is the grey imports where no VAT is being paid that is the problem for our EU member states and therefore damaging our EU economy of which we pay a massive amount into each year.

He mooted an Internet tax to protect High Street shops, I was making the point that people will just move onto the cheaper euro retailers, might mean EU vat is paid, still won't help our High Street shops.

They will. There is a Government fund which pays out in circumstances like this. As was reported further up the thread one week for every year of service. Think it is capped at 12 weeks.

I forgot about about statutory redundancy pay. A pittance, basically. Hopefully Jessops will have some sort of contractual scheme.

Where I agree with the above, I cannot see how they are going to tackle the sites that are operating abroad. As it is not just the UK sites that have caused problems, I think the biggest problems come from the sites that operate from the Fareast offering grey imports.

I was in John Lewis in the week the prices of camera gear was no different from Jessops, but where they did excel was customer service.

I do get the impression from this thread that perhaps that is where Jessops let themselves down.

I really dont think that is the problem, people buying in places like HK, its the fact that people are buying form Internet retailers instead of high street retailers.

With regards to John Lewis... this gets mentioned each time you hear a debate. Yes they have outstanding service, and yes their prices are not that great, but look at what else the shop sells. If they only sold electrical goods, then they would be long gone. Its the fact they sell everything else, shoes, clothes, beds etc, that keeps them going.

They offer extended warranties for free on most items - Something no retailer just selling electronics can match.

I've been thinking about this myself over the last few days. The government CAN take action to even the playing field. And yet they don't. Why not reduce the rates high street shops pay? Or get rid of it altogether? Why not introduce a tax similar to Dylanlewis2000 suggests?

I've been saying for a long time that one-day there will just be McDonalds, Tescos and Amazon. The rest will be gone!

Eh, clearly have no idea how retail works, the playing field is very level, as you choose how you trade, if you want high street the the reason you do this is footfall, a store in the Trafford centre is going to cost you around £130 a square foot plus rates and services, why so much ! Because its busy.

The Internet traders dont't have these large costs, nor do they have the thousands of people passing there window each day.

We have a retail, Internet only, store, and at least 25% comes off the margin for marketing and commission, amazon charge 17% on sales. Asos 20%....

Now if you build your interned business up and become popular enough that your marketing can come down, then good for you. Should we be taxed no being successful or because we don't want the grief of a shop ??? I think not. If the high street dies,mother if for a reason.

Last edited:
I forgot about about statutory redundancy pay. A pittance, basically. Hopefully Jessops will have some sort of contractual scheme.

You can get your bottom dollar they dont! PcW will want to get as much money as possible, and dont forget their fees too!

Even in the case of a contractual redundancy scheme, I think the excess of the contractual scheme over the statutory payment will be treated as an unsecured creditor with little prospect of anything more than a small payment way in to the future.

Just had a quick searchy on the web it appears that Deloitte and lawyers, the administrator who took care of Comet was paid over £10,000,000 to administer Comet.

He mooted an Internet tax to protect High Street shops, I was making the point that people will just move onto the cheaper euro retailers, might mean EU vat is paid, still won't help our High Street shops.

show me a cheaper Euro retailer....... roughly 20% VAT across the eurozone not being paid by using the HK 'distributors' is a massive saving* to the EU customer. That is how the HK 'firms' can offer cheaper deals.

*savings.......in the short term, yes.......long term no especially if everyone did it. So the bigger picture is that for our £200 saving on a lens from HK could and is possibly going to cost our country untold millions in future revenue and welfare payouts to the folk who lose their jobs and not forgetting lost revenue from all the tax these folk paid (and hopefully their companies too)

This is very sad news for all involved . It is only going to end up costing tax payers even more money . I only hope that the staff find new jobs as it seems that the dole que is getting longer and longer , with Jacobs , Comet and now Jessops that's around 4500 people all joining the already long line at the job center .
Over the years I have spent what I could with them , even when i could have bought cheaper online . The conviniance of been able to go into a store , there also seems to be someting about walking into a store and then going away with something in my hands just seems to feel nice .
The topic of buying imports always raises a debate , if only the govenment would look at tax prices this would put a stop to all of this . Why should you be able to purchase from abroad for a lot less . If this was tackled head on and UK prices fell into line with those imported , why would people buy grey imports and not from the highstreet ? This opens up a whole new can of worms i know cheap labour etc , but what about overseas aid how much do we spend on that ? Who will come to the aid of this sinking ship know as Great Britain !

This is very sad news for all involved . It is only going to end up costing tax payers even more money . I only hope that the staff find new jobs as it seems that the dole que is getting longer and longer , with Jacobs , Comet and now Jessops that's around 4500 people all joining the already long line at the job center .
Over the years I have spent what I could with them , even when i could have bought cheaper online . The conviniance of been able to go into a store , there also seems to be someting about walking into a store and then going away with something in my hands just seems to feel nice .
The topic of buying imports always raises a debate , if only the govenment would look at tax prices this would put a stop to all of this . Why should you be able to purchase from abroad for a lot less . If this was tackled head on and UK prices fell into line with those imported , why would people buy grey imports and not from the highstreet ? This opens up a whole new can of worms i know cheap labour etc , but what about overseas aid how much do we spend on that ? Who will come to the aid of this sinking ship know as Great Britain !

I think its about more than the tax price.

On an item that was £100, the increase 2.5% we had was worth £2.30 ish if i remember correctly.

Yes when you add higher value items say £1000, it jumps up to £23.

We cannot have 'tax in line with other countries'. We have a national health system, a benefits system and a whole raft of other things we have to pay for. If that goes how are we going to pay for it?

John, the import issue is not so much grey imports in themselves. It is the tax evasion enabled by the business model of the HK internet stores well known on here. I suspect that without the prospect of evading VAT and import duty, most of the TP members who support the tax evasion model would not find the grey import route anywhere near a s attractive.

what a bizzare thing to say, of course we wouldnt :) but while we can avoid it then we will :) Keep banging that tambourine. You strike me as the sort that stands in the high street droning out the old testament while everyone just walks past you. Well done for having a moral and managing to get up on that pedastal, but youre wasting your breath.

The 20th century is a global market which I and many others will take advantage of.

Last edited:
Its to be expected. If suppliers will not give them credit, they are not going to have a large selection of lenses. There was a flag ship store in Cardiff, it used to be on two floors and looked very impressive when you walked in. They dont want to hold a lot of stock in one store, but i agree, they need it somehow.

Upstairs closed ages ago, and the out of the way location of it was a nightmare with very little footfall or through traffic (excluding the train station commuters).

They were forced into the move when the Hayes area was redeveloped. They used to have two shops in Cardiff, ffs, who the hell needs two shops within 300 yards of each other?

The high street is knackard and, only the big shopping centres are left, would I go to bolton to buy something?? No way in hell, parking is a fortune, the area is full European beggars.

Shop today get it delivered tomorrow, that will do for me, backed with DSR, its win win.

Fact is jesspos couldn't make there business work, so they go bust, that's life, THEY couldn't make it .

And you really cannot blame the administrators for there fees, its how they make there money !

It's the evolution of retail..... HMV next I suspect.

John, the import issue is not so much grey imports in themselves. It is the tax evasion enabled by the business model of the HK internet stores well known on here. I suspect that without the prospect of evading VAT and import duty, most of the TP members who support the tax evasion model would not find the grey import route anywhere near a s attractive.

I get everything 20% cheaper because we are vat registered :clap:

whats annoying is that the same CEO's and board members keep cropping up. Several of the Jessops team were working on the board of JJB and now HMV! It will be worth keeping an eye on where they go next! Just a few people, and its certainly not the nasty evil tax evaders who use Panamoz, seem to be wrecking the hight street far more effectively than us importers.

but what about overseas aid how much do we spend on that ?

Less than 0.7% of GDP and aid is often conditional - (eg: UK companies used to supply infrastructure etc). This is inline with G8 Gleneagles Summit aid commitments, where countries signed up to a 0.7 per cent of GNI target. Compared to what is spent on the nhs, on benefits, on wars, it's a drop in the ocean. "The UK spends about £8bn on aid. We spend more than £40bn on defence and £600bn on public expenditure": http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/14/how-effective-overseas-aid-coversation

what a bizzare thing to say, of course we wouldnt :) but while we can avoid it then we will :) Keep banging that tambourine. You strike me as the sort that stands in the high street droning out the old testament while everyone just walks past you. Well done for having a moral and managing to get up on that pedastal, but youre wasting your breath.

The 20th century is a global market which I and many others will take advantage of.

Read my post above about the long term effect it has on our economy..... I s'pose you love our welfare state too!

Exactly! The solution to this form of tax evasion is not for the UK government to reduce the tax here - it's to further enforce existing laws to prevent this type of evasion (didn't it used to be called smuggling?) in the first place.

Perhaps an analogy is by complaining that too many people break the speed limit in their cars and that the solution is to remove speed limits rather than more detection and enforcement.

Read my post above about the long term effect it has on our economy..... I s'pose you love our welfare state too!

I take it that rather daft prod is some way of insinuating that im on the dole, god no, the sooner we get rid of the parasites and spongers the better. I probably pay more tax than you do if truth be told, ill still get away with paying as little as possible though and not lose a wink of sleep because of it. But as i said, which you seem to conveniently ignore, the same people who run these companies do seem to leave a trail of wreckage behind them. Id look at their management style if i were you before my tax return.

Last edited:

Ash, assume it was my "bizarre thing". Not being pedantic, but it is not avoiding but evading. Completely understand the global market. I own a business that has to have its products manufactured in China to achieve attractive global prices. I just don't break the law every time I import something.

I take it than rather daft prod is some way of insinuating that im on the dole, god no, the sooner we get rid of the parasites and spongers the better. I probably pay more tax than you do if truth be told. But as i said, which you seem to conveniently ignore, the same people who run these companies seem to leave a trail of wreckage behind them.

Not at all, to your first point, I was merely suggesting that given the opportunity you would use our welfare state, without hesitation.

Not everyone on the welfare state is a sponger.

So do you think an MD is to blame for you smuggling contraband into the UK?

Whatever you do for employ...would you like that taken away for some cheaper alternative in HK?

Where did you see my tax return....I thought I kept it under lock and key?

Ash, assume it was my "bizarre thing". Not being pedantic, but it is not avoiding but evading. Completely understand the global market. I own a business that has to have its products manufactured in China to achieve attractive global prices. I just don't break the law every time I import something.

Most places have items created in China. Labor rates and working conditions are poor, workers are plentiful and don't go on strike. Hopefully, when you import and later sell products, you are charging tax (Providing they are taxable) and thus not part of the problem people are discussing.

Importing is not the problem here. Its the fact that everyone with a mobile phone can be in a shop, access thousands of prices at the touch of a button and compare instantly.

Greed....
The suited and booted bosses taking an extortionate wage, the business parks charging an excessive rate for their land, the councils trying to rake in the money for city centre properties to help pay their executives criminal amounts of money.
Yes the Internet will cost the high street but IMO its far from the only factor destroying the high street.
Best wishes to all who have lost their jobs, hope you all get new jobs soon.

Back