Jessops returns

But the retailer is exceeding the online service by letting you get up close and personal with the goods! You cant have your cake and eat it!

Not to mention giving good advice and simply being there so you can get the filter you need for tomorrow since you dropped the last one and it broke. Or the battery you need because the old one refuses to accept charge just in time for tonight's shoot etc..

Small retailers can't compete on price with the big boys (including Jessops) but still have relatively large overheads compared to warehouses (city centre business rates are massive compared to out of town trading estates - not to mention that a lot of "warehouses" are garages (frequently on the wrong side of planning laws and local bylaws).

Warehouses are not free and have staff.
<snip>
Warehouses are not on high streets and so cost much less. For the same reason, warehouses also attract much lower business rates.
Warehouse staff do not spend significant time with each customer - if the warehouse is well run, staff will only spend a couple of minutes or so picking, packing, labelling and despatching each customer's order.

I think that if you go to the shop with no intention of buying but just to use their facilities and expertise, yes it is immoral. If the goods turn out to be not want you want, then, clearly, you should not buy them - but that is not what was suggested.

A few weeks before I traded my Canon kit I went to our local Jessops, spoke to a bloke and said can I have a good look and try the Fuji X-T20, and once I get the quote I will be back. He did his job very well and let me play with the camera, I went back in the week or so later and got more than I was quoted, as they were so good I said I will be back in just over a month and get a X-T2 :)

I think that if you go to the shop with no intention of buying but just to use their facilities and expertise, yes it is immoral. If the goods turn out to be not want you want, then, clearly, you should not buy them - but that is not what was suggested.

So you never go into a shop, see something you like, then google to see if the price is competitive - and if not, buy elsewhere? (Even though the goods are what you want)

Warehouses are not on high streets and so cost much less. For the same reason, warehouses also attract much lower business rates.

But they are bigger and therefore still cost a significant amount of money

Warehouse staff do not spend significant time with each customer - if the warehouse is well run, staff will only spend a couple of minutes or so picking, packing, labelling and despatching each customer's order.

They are still paid...No?

Not to mention giving good advice and simply being there so you can get the filter you need for tomorrow since you dropped the last one and it broke. Or the battery you need because the old one refuses to accept charge just in time for tonight's shoot etc..

Small retailers can't compete on price with the big boys (including Jessops) but still have relatively large overheads compared to warehouses (city centre business rates are massive compared to out of town trading estates - not to mention that a lot of "warehouses" are garages (frequently on the wrong side of planning laws and local bylaws).

But in this case you're paying a premium for advice and convenience. Which is absolutely fine. I tend to do a ton of online research then only want to get a feel for if the product suits me - not much advice needed. And I'm not a pro, so I'm prepared to wait a day or two to save tens of pounds if needed.

Last edited:
So you never go into a shop, see something you like, then google to see if the price is competitive - and if not, buy elsewhere? (Even though the goods are what you want)
I never buy on the internet if I can buy the same in town. I have several reasons for this, the most important being that I want my local shops - and, in turn, my town - to survive. I like towns, I like being in town, I like shopping in towns. I cannot do that if all the shops have closed down. Also, as Nod mentioned above, sometimes the internet just takes too long and I need to pop into town and get something NOW, not when the postman gets here.

I would have done my research before I go into a store. They don't have to match the online price for me, they just need to be prepared to deal. Very rarely will I go into a shop and buy 1 object, it's usually 3 or 4 or maybe more items.In which case I have no intention of paying full RRP for all of it.

To me, camera shops are essential, how else can I take my kit in to see how it fits in the new bag I want? You can't do that online...

But they are bigger and therefore still cost a significant amount of money

They are still paid...No?
Warehouses cost a lot less per item sold. And, yes, staff are still paid, but, as I said, spend very much less time on each customer. It is down to unit costs - high street shop's unit costs are necessarily much, much higher.

Yes I can. If the retailer allowed returns like the online shop with price matching then it would be competitive. Otherwise I'll play the system to get the best deal.
So what happens when there aren't any Retailers left because they cant compete with the discounting done by the internet traders? No more touch feely then, no one to ask advice from or pick up the bits we all invariable need .
Also why should a retailer allow you to play with an item for 14 days after you've viewed it and held it and then return it and be left with a used item?
Price my friend is not everything!

I never buy on the internet if I can buy the same in town. I have several reasons for this, the most important being that I want my local shops - and, in turn, my town - to survive. I like towns, I like being in town, I like shopping in towns. I cannot do that if all the shops have closed down. Also, as Nod mentioned above, sometimes the internet just takes too long and I need to pop into town and get something NOW, not when the postman gets here.

Which is your choice. Doesn't make what I do immoral.

So what happens when there aren't any Retailers left because they cant compete with the discounting done by the internet traders? No more touch feely then, no one to ask advice from or pick up the bits we all invariable need .
Also why should a retailer allow you to play with an item for 14 days after you've viewed it and held it and then return it and be left with a used item?
Price my friend is not everything!

But if your thinking is the majority thought then that won't be a problem. Or niche retailers will survive to service your needs - like Vinyl records shops. Like I said the pendulum will swing back - but competition is healthy.

I would have done my research before I go into a store. They don't have to match the online price for me, they just need to be prepared to deal. Very rarely will I go into a shop and buy 1 object, it's usually 3 or 4 or maybe more items.In which case I have no intention of paying full RRP for all of it.

To me, camera shops are essential, how else can I take my kit in to see how it fits in the new bag I want? You can't do that online...

I'd rather not be put in the awkward situation where I have to haggle - I'd rather the retailer prices things honestly.

Which is your choice. Doesn't make what I do immoral.
No it doesn't. What is immoral is using facilities that are provided in the expectation that you are actually a potential customer when you clearly are not. It is effectively theft.

No it doesn't. What is immoral is using facilities that are provided in the expectation that you are actually a potential customer when you clearly are not. It is effectively theft.

No it isn't, it's nothing like theft. Have you not heard of passing trade - the more people they get in through the door the more likely they are to make a sale. The better the service the more likely they are to get a recommendation. What is practically theft is selling at inflated prices when they know there's a figure they would sell lower to if "haggled".

Last edited:
Maybe 'theft' is a little strong but its certainly not the best way to ensure the survival of retailers that our man likes to visit and tyre kick!

Maybe 'theft' is a little strong but its certainly not the best way to ensure the survival of retailers that our man likes to visit and tyre kick!

They need to adapt and add value in other ways in order to convert me to a paying customer. They're not charities, they're businesses. Adapt.

Last edited:
If there was a shop set up purely to demonstrate cameras for a fee, I would be happy to use them.
Of course they could also sell new unopened boxes, but that would not be the expectation, but rather a bonus.
Alternatively they could have partnerships with other dealers or on line suppliers. who could pay introductory fees to them for completed sales.

They could also sell off the demonstration stock, as second hand at the end of the line.
In the internet age, a logical move might be for the camera companies themselves to do what Apple does and open showrooms/shops in a few major cities. Leica is already doing this (I got my ex-demo binoculars from the London Mayfair store).

They need to adapt and add value in other ways in order to convert me to a paying customer. They're not charities, they're businesses. Adapt.
Maybe you need to adapt your buying habits if you want to physically hold the kit you are wanting to buy? After all when they're gone they're gone!

No I don't, I can always order online and return.
But you aren't doing that are you? you're basically being a PITA to a retailer wasting their time then ordering on line at the lowest price. The ultimate result will be no retailers and sitting around for couriers. Not a fantastic result really is it?

But you aren't doing that are you? you're basically being a PITA to a retailer wasting their time then ordering on line at the lowest price. The ultimate result will be no retailers and sitting around for couriers. Not a fantastic result really is it?

No, not at all - I go into a shop to see if they have what I want, I check it out. Then I compare prices with elsewhere. I ask if the shop will price match and then if they won't I'll move on and buy online. I'm in no rush. I'd be a fool to pay more when I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

You don't get it do you? the retailer cant afford to be a showcase for your curiosity? if you dont buy from them they'll shut and you won't physically be able to check out goods anymore. If thats what you want great but many people actually realise that that isn't a route that is desirable. What happens when the internet prices all the competition out of existence and then starts raising prices because it can and theres no competition. Your vision is very short sighted and you are basically a pariah on retail outlets. I know I'm wasting my breath as it nots going to register as the price is king!

You don't get it do you? the retailer cant afford to be a showcase for your curiosity? if you dont buy from them they'll shut and you won't physically be able to check out goods anymore. If thats what you want great but many people actually realise that that isn't a route that is desirable. What happens when the internet prices all the competition out of existence and then starts raising prices because it can and theres no competition. Your vision is very short sighted and you are basically a pariah on retail outlets. I know I'm wasting my breath as it nots going to register as the price is king!

If you want to treat your local retailers like charities who am I to stop you? Personally I'll shop around for the best deal.

... And pariah means outcast or reject? Are you saying they're rejecting my custom?

Last edited:
And if you're happy to be part of putting people on the unemployed list, we won't be able to stop you.

And if you're happy to be part of putting people on the unemployed list, we won't be able to stop you.

So you'll happily pay through the nose to line someone elses pockets? Stop virtue signalling - these businesses only care about your money. If you really wouldn't shop elsewhere to save £50+ then you really have more money than sense.

And a social conscience.

So you'll happily pay through the nose to line someone elses pockets? Stop virtue signalling - these businesses only care about your money. If you really wouldn't shop elsewhere to save £50+ then you really have more money than sense.
I think the point is that spending an extra £50 now, could be seen as an investment in the future, as the store is more likely to be around when you next want to buy a camera.

To some people the advice offered and the ability to try before you buy is WORTH £50.

They are acting out of profit so the store / company stays around. Which bit of that don’t you get?

LOL, No they're not - they're paying a mortgage, paying off a car loan, saving up for holidays like the rest of us... There business may still be there passion but that doesn't make it deserving of my charity.

If you want to treat your local retailers like charities who am I to stop you? Personally I'll shop around for the best deal.

... And pariah means outcast or reject? Are you saying they're rejecting my custom?
A Pariah is a blood sucker ,a parasite.
Don't you ever wonder why the High Streets are full of Charity Shops? Look in the Mirror as you and your shopping habits are killing off the High Street.

Back