A Pariah is a blood sucker ,a parasite.
No, it isn't

pariah
pəˈrʌɪə/
noun
  1. 1.
    an outcast.
    "they were treated as social pariahs"
    synonyms: outcast, persona non grata, leper, reject, untouchable, undesirable;
    rareunperson
  2. 2.
    historical
    a member of an indigenous people of southern India originally functioning as ceremonial drummers but later having a low caste.

Don't you ever wonder why the High Streets are full of Charity Shops? Look in the Mirror as you and your shopping habits are killing off the High Street.

Drat, you have cunningly revealed my master plan to the world!

Seriously, I'd talk to your local council about zoning, parking charges and business rates before you start pointing fingers at me. But as it is I'm time poor, so yes I will happily shop on the internet!

LOL, No they're not - they're paying a mortgage, paying off a car loan, saving up for holidays like the rest of us... There business may still be there passion but that doesn't make it deserving of my charity.

Probably just like your employer, would you feel the same if they found a cheaper replacement for you?
After all they are only trying to get everything cheap as they can, does that sound familiar.

Probably just like your employer, would you feel the same if they found a cheaper replacement for you?
After all they are only trying to get everything cheap as they can, does that sound familiar.

I'd think they were pretty bad businessmen if they were noncompetitive when they could be competitive - they'll only end up going out of business anyway. That's how business work - you find a competitive edge and exploit it to make profit. Those that can't compete go out of business. Your local camera shops added value may be top service and advice - unfortunately for them I don't really need to pay premium for that value add. Hopefully for them though there are enough customers that will - but don't dare say I'm immoral for exercising choice and finding a good deal because frankly that could be construed as pompous.

I'd think they were pretty bad businessmen if they were noncompetitive when they could be competitive - they'll only end up going out of business anyway. That's how business work - you find a competitive edge and exploit it to make profit.
Exactly... and online offer a bare bones service which enables them to provide cheaper costs
Those that can't compete go out of business. Your local camera shops added value may be top service and advice - unfortunately for them I don't really need to pay premium for that value add.
But you said you do use their services, as I recall you said you will go in and try a camera (or whatever) only then buying from the cheapest (online) service.
Hopefully for them though there are enough customers that will - but don't dare say I'm immoral for exercising choice and finding a good deal because frankly that could be construed as pompous.
The immorality (and I’m not sure I would use that term personally but it’s already been thrown around) is taking advantage of the value added service, but then not being willing to pay the costs associated with the value added services.

Last edited:
Exactly... and online offer a bare bones service which enables them to provide cheaper costs

But you said you do use their services, as I recall you said you will go in and try a camera (or whatever) only then buying from the cheapest (online) service.

The immorality (and I’m not sure I would use that term personally but it’s already been thrown around) is taking advantage of the value added service, but then not being willing to pay the costs associated with the value added services.

I always ask if they'll price match, they have me through the door - converting me to a paying customer is the job of the sales person.

But if she opened a product & tried a bit first, before deciding she didn't like it & sticking it back on the shelf, would that be OK?
That wan't the subject of my response ... try to keep up! :)

My only experience was with the "old " Jessops before it was taken over.. i went into the Cannock branch to buy a brand new Nikon D300.Ii was given an open box and on checking I discovered hat it had been used and parts were not with it ie battery charger etc. Their excused was that it had only been opened for a previous customer to try it out ? ERM NEW? no way , they thought they could pass on used good as new to someone who didn't know better. Since then I would avoid Jessops like the plague. One bad experience with them for goods costing £1099 ( still got a copy of receipt ) is enough to keep me away from this type of retailer

Last edited:
Some things whilst being perfectly legal are just not very nice and seem morally wrong.
Obviously you are all about the money and thick skinned, experience tells me that words are wasted on your ilk

Some things whilst being perfectly legal are just not very nice and seem morally wrong.
Obviously you are all about the money and thick skinned, experience tells me that words are wasted on your ilk
My ilk? Seriously? Tho hast cast upon me a vile slur!

I'll save money where I can. I'd be a Muppet not too.

My ilk says hi, btw!

I haven’t ever managed to successfully buy any big ticket item from my local pc world/curry’s shed. On each occasion they haven’t had a new unit sealed in the box for me to take away.

With the high end tablet I tried to buy it was a return after another customer had tried it for a few days and returned it, for which they wanted list price.

On a laptop they had opened it to perform their “setup” service and wanted an extra £25 for the privilege of selling me goods they had tampered with and an 8gb usb Drive.

My ilk? Seriously? Tho hast cast upon me a vile slur!

I'll save money where I can. I'd be a Muppet not too.

My ilk says hi, btw!

That just made you look like a prat

Reactions: Nod
Seriously Dave. So far these paragons of morality and ethics have resorted to calling me a prat, a pariah (without understanding what it means), a thief, a blood sucking parasite and immoral. Whereas I have not strayed from mere japery! Gadzooks. I am much maligned to say my only crime is frugality. But I will forgive, for in me lurks a kinder soul not tainted by curmudgeonly actions.

Seriously Dave. So far these paragons of morality and ethics have resorted to calling me a prat, a pariah (without understanding what it means), a thief, a blood sucking parasite and immoral. Whereas I have not strayed from mere japery! Gadzooks. I am much maligned to say my only crime is frugality. But I will forgive, for in me lurks a kinder soul not tainted by curmudgeonly actions.

I have in the past got my Canon kit from online Wex, but when I jumped to Fuji I did it online for the quote then took it in, then a month later my old school teacher got me the X-T2. That school teacher taught me a lot and I have loved her every day ( my Mum ), she taught me sticks and stones, you know the rest. Now I look at some comments from folk and think, Grow up and with name calling imo is silly, NOT a dig at anyone but some should think before they open their mouth, just my thoughts :)
I also say Each to their own when buying :)

Last edited:
Look in the Mirror as you and your shopping habits are killing off the High Street.
The sooner, the better in my book.

High Street shops are an outdated business model (except for some very niche products). It's a lot easier to buy online from the comfort of my own home, at whatever time is convenient for me, without all the hassle involved in travelling, parking, pushing my way through crowds, dealing with (in many cases) not-very-knowledgable sales droids, etc. Plus I can easily do price comparisons (from businesses worldwide, not just in my own town) and if I buy from the UK I get 14 days to make up my mind whether to keep the item.

With Amazon pushing the boundaries of delivery, it's not unusual now to order something on a Saturday evening and have it delivered on Sunday afternoon, so even the "I must have it now" brigade have no excuse for going to bricks'n'mortar outlets.

No, it isn't

pariah
pəˈrʌɪə/
noun
  1. 1.
    an outcast.
    synonyms: outcast, persona non grata, leper, reject, untouchable, undesirable;
    rareunperson
  2. 2.
    historical
    a member of an indigenous people of southern India originally functioning as ceremonial drummers but later having a low caste.

Drat, you have cunningly revealed my master plan to the world!

Seriously, I'd talk to your local council about zoning, parking charges and business rates before you start pointing fingers at me. But as it is I'm time poor, so yes I will happily shop on the internet!

Time poor and Intelligence poor unfortunately! Look on the bright side you've learnt a new word today and whilst my understanding of its meaning wasn't entirely correct, it still fits perfectly as you are one 'customer' a business simply doesn't need. I would imagine you are the sort of person who loves using toilets which are for customers use only without batting an eyelid!

The sooner, the better in my book.

High Street shops are an outdated business model (except for some very niche products). It's a lot easier to buy online from the comfort of my own home, at whatever time is convenient for me, without all the hassle involved in travelling, parking, pushing my way through crowds, dealing with (in many cases) not-very-knowledgable sales droids, etc. Plus I can easily do price comparisons (from businesses worldwide, not just in my own town) and if I buy from the UK I get 14 days to make up my mind whether to keep the item.

With Amazon pushing the boundaries of delivery, it's not unusual now to order something on a Saturday evening and have it delivered on Sunday afternoon, so even the "I must have it now" brigade have no excuse for going to bricks'n'mortar outlets.

If thats your view of shopping heaven I truly pity you! Better still lets not have any human contact at all ,lets live our lives through the internet!

Time poor and Intelligence poor unfortunately! Look on the bright side you've learnt a new word today

Lol. There you go again with another ad hominem attack.

Seriously don't use words that you're unfamiliar with, it can make you look silly and erode any argument you may think you had. To then have the temerity to claim it was me that was ignorant is just laughable.

I traded my d750 kit in with jessops as they offered a better price than Wex or mpb. So I bought my xt2 kit off them.

But they also made my sensor dirtier on my 5dmk2 and tried telling me it was because the camera's dust box was full!

I'll never buy from them again. They are s***.

However I did handle the em5mk2 to see if I liked it. And then worse than mjmountain I had the temerity to buy it grey!

I didn't buy one for my ilk, he uses Nikon.

If thats your view of shopping heaven I truly pity you! Better still lets not have any human contact at all ,lets live our lives through the internet!
Please don't pity me. There is a time and a place for social interaction, but a commercial transaction is rarely the place for it.

It doesn't matter whether I'm buying a tin of beans or a DSLR - I establish my requirements, select my supplier, pay for the item and expect to receive it. End of. I very rarely would have any need to have any face-to-face interaction in the process. And the time I save I can spend with family and friends - people I choose to interact with.

(It also begs the question of why you are participating in an internet photography forum rather than chatting to people at a camera club :)).

I didn't buy one for my ilk, he uses Nikon.

Tried to bring a bit of culture to you lot, but failed miserably

Just stick to bluds and posse if its easier and a s*** load of acronyms, sorry letters wot mean big words

Yesterday morning I spent a few minutes researching a product on the internet. I used Amazon to check which options were available and to check if the features would fit my needs. But then I sent a text to Mrs Sprout who was already in town and asked her to buy the product while she was there. My reason for this was the fact that it was cheaper to buy locally.

So according to what has been said on this thread already I may be some kind of local hero (y)
But maybe I've broken a law by using one resource but not following through on the purchase (n)
Mrs Sprout was parked in a Supermarket car park which is free for customers but she didn't even set foot in the supermarket. That was probably a hanging offence (n)
I'm also rather scared now that the police may arrive at my door because instead of using my network providers sms to contact Mrs Sprout I used whatsapp which was free:wideyed:

:runaway::runaway::runaway:

Tried to bring a bit of culture to you lot

And here's me thinking you were just trying to sound sophisticated in order to somehow elevate yourself to some strange intellectual high ground! But no! It transpires your motive was nought but charitable, all the time you were bringing us - the uneducated masses, some new bright new learnings. You must think us most churlish and ungrateful. I shall refrain from lambasting your prose further as it is indeed of great merit! Prithee sirrah furnish us with more exquisite parlance. We eagerly await...

:p

Lol. There you go again with another ad hominem attack.

Seriously don't use words that you're unfamiliar with, it can make you look silly and erode any argument you may think you had. To then have the temerity to claim it was me that was ignorant is just laughable.

Google Pompous and you can add it to your CV!

Google Pompous and you can add it to your CV!

and another one... so far you've called me:
  • Pompous
  • Of poor intelligence
  • A Pain in the arse
  • A blood sucking parasite
Are you incapable of debate without resulting to personal slurs?

(I left Pariah out because you didn't really know what it meant)

Last edited:
You don't debate you pontificate. You are clearly a man who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing so debate really is pointless!

I suspect this is simply a case of differing views, neither of which will be proven right or wrong, simply opinion.

I'd rather not be put in the awkward situation where I have to haggle - I'd rather the retailer prices things honestly.

Who said things were not priced "honestly" (and who said it was haggling)? Most people have a basic misconception of the differences between haggling & negotiation.

Haggle = "I'll give you X for this".

Negotiation = "You do something for me & I'll do something for you".

In the case I stated above, I'll pick 2 or 3 items, then ask "what deal can you do if I take X also". That's negotiation, not haggling. I am prepared to spend more, if they help me out, simple really.

Back