Jessops returns

Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a Panasonic GX800 online just under a week ago after thinking I want something smaller than my Canon 100D which I sold to mpb to purchase the GX800.
Now after using it few times I actually miss my canon and thinking of returning the Gx800 and getting a Canon 200d.
I have kept all the box, put the camera strap on and took out the charger from the packaging.
Will I struggle to exchange it.
I have emailed them and I'm awaiting a response.

They are a pain with this, if you're returning to store anyway.

I bought a GX8 from them that they opened for some reason in front of me in the store. Got it home and changed my mind. Took it back to the shop and they wouldn't take it as it had been opened, had to stand there for 40 minutes waiting for the most senior manager they could find so I could explain what had happened. They ended up doing the refund, but only because they phoned the guy that opened it in front of me and he agreed that he did.

I wouldn't buy from them if there was any chance I wanted to take something back.

May be different if returning online.

I bought a Panasonic GX800 online just under a week ago after thinking I want something smaller than my Canon 100D which I sold to mpb to purchase the GX800.
Now after using it few times I actually miss my canon and thinking of returning the Gx800 and getting a Canon 200d.
I have kept all the box, put the camera strap on and took out the charger from the packaging.
Will I struggle to exchange it.
I have emailed them and I'm awaiting a response.

Fair enough I reckon, buyers remorse and they get left with a used item because you changed your mind.

Yeah I've read that the product must remain unopened to return under the 14 day. Bit silly how are you supposed to try it without opening it.
As a example carphone warehouse exchanged with no bother when I returned a Samsung s8 and exchanged it for a Htc u11.

Yeah I've read that the product must remain unopened to return under the 14 day. Bit silly how are you supposed to try it without opening it.
As a example carphone warehouse exchanged with no bother when I returned a Samsung s8 and exchanged it for a Htc u11.

Can see both sides,of it, yes hard to know what it's like without trying out, other side is why buy if you are not sure it's the right choice.

Just imagine owning a shop, investing your takings on new stock only to have buyers returning sold items for a refund

Under consumer rights laws you can return something within 14 days if bought mail order including online (there are a few exceptions). Anything bought in person you don’t have a 14 day return right.

The following says it better than I ever could...
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...nging-your-mind-about-something-youve-bought/

And Jessops terms and conditions say the same... https://www.jessops.com/c/help/tnc#anchor_3_4 ...though some of their exclusions are not allowed under consumer rights legislation afaik.

Last edited:
I'd comply with Jessops T&C before the 14 days is up.

3.4 Returns and refunds

(a)Change of mind returns:

I agree the shops are a nightmare, however I've had a good experience with their online return service

One thing that bothers me is, it took ages for me to get through to customer services to answer some security questions when I placed order.
So I don't think they will be prompt answering emails.

Would you buy an opened, used camera from Jessops?

Don’t be surprised if they decline your return. They can’t resell the camera as new and would have to knock something off the price to shift it.

You may have 14 days to return the item if you purchased it online, but that only allows you to inspect the goods as you would be able to in a store.

Last edited:
I ordered oline,picked up from shop next day.took it back next day for full refund,he knew i had tried it.

You may have 14 days to return the item if you purchased it online, but that only allows you to inspect the goods as you would be able to in a store.
Not MAY... you DO have the right to return (under consumer rights laws) upto 14 days.
And you can try out the camera for that period before returning.

They grey area is if you install any included software...

Only thing I've done is undo the tape for charger and camera strap plastic. No software is opened. The seal on the box tab is the only thing different from delivery and a tiny fingerprint smudge on the camera screen.

Only thing I've done is undo the tape for charger and camera strap plastic. No software is opened. The seal on the box tab is the only thing different from delivery and a tiny fingerprint smudge on the camera screen.
IANAL but that should be returnable under consumer rights.

When Jessops make all this fuss... makes you wonder why they are struggling and Amazon are thriving!

Reactions: Sid
They are a pain with this, if you're returning to store anyway.

I bought a GX8 from them that they opened for some reason in front of me in the store. Got it home and changed my mind. Took it back to the shop and they wouldn't take it as it had been opened, had to stand there for 40 minutes waiting for the most senior manager they could find so I could explain what had happened. They ended up doing the refund, but only because they phoned the guy that opened it in front of me and he agreed that he did.

I wouldn't buy from them if there was any chance I wanted to take something back.

May be different if returning online.

Jessops aren't the only one that do this. 2 other camera shops in my experience (Digital depot and park cameras) also do the same thing in that they break the seal and open the item in front of you. Almost like they are trying to make sure you don't feel like you can take it back should you change your mind (i.e. if you want to return the item without opening it).

Not that I ever returned anything so far but this at least made never want to buy cameras/lenses from shops again. I am also one of those weird people that gets enjoyment from carefully opening my new goods or gifts/presents. So when someone cuts open the seal of my new shiny with a knife it p****s me off!!

Last edited:
John lewis are the bestive found,they used to give you 90 days,most i did was 2 monthsbefore returning,its now 30 days i believe

Jessops aren't the only one that do this. 2 other camera shops in my experience (Digital depot and park cameras) also do the same thing in that they break the seal and open the item in front of you. Almost like they are trying to make sure you don't feel like you can take it back should you change your mind (i.e. if you want to return the item without opening it).

Not that I ever returned anything so far but this at least made never want to buy cameras/lenses from shops again. I am also one of those weird people that gets enjoyment from carefully opening my new goods or gifts/presents. So when someone cuts open the seal of my new shiny with a knife it p****s me off!!

This sort of thing is annoying, though you probably don't have an automatic right to return it anyway (unlike mail order) unless their policy says otherwise. I sort of assumed they did that to stop people coming back the next day and saying 'I opened this last night at home and the box was completely empty!'

Not MAY... you DO have the right to return (under consumer rights laws) upto 14 days.
And you can try out the camera for that period before returning.

They grey area is if you install any included software...

I’m afraid you are wrong? You are able to open the box and inspect the goods as you would in a shop. You can not “use it a few times” and then return it. If you start using the product, you are deemed to have accepted the goods.

The OP also states he ordered online and collected the goods in store. Whether or not he is covered under distance selling all comes down to when the contract was formed. If the OP paid online and collected at the store then it is a distance sale. If the goods were reserved online and collected and paid in store then it is nota distance sale and the OP has no right to return.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

Last edited:

:thinking:

I’m afraid you are wrong? You are able to open the box and inspect the goods as you would in a shop. You can not “use it a few times” and then return it. If you start using the product, you are deemed to have accepted the goods.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...nging-your-mind-about-something-youve-bought/ gives a slightly different impression (IMO). It all depends what "use it a few times" means. You have perfect right to take it out the box, inspect the goods and to try them to assess their suitability. With (most) digital cameras it should be easy to tell the extent of usage (shutter count).

The OP also states he ordered online and collected the goods in store. Whether or not he is covered under distance selling all comes down to when the contract was formed. If the OP paid online and collected at the store then it is a distance sale. If the goods were reserved online and collected and paid in store then it is nota distance sale and the OP has no right to return.
I was commenting on the assumption they were purchased online as stated in the OP.

At the end of the day I (and I assume you also) Am Not A Lawyer ... therefore if there is disagreement the best thing the OP can do is contact Citizens Advice or possibly local trading standards.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...nging-your-mind-about-something-youve-bought/ gives a slightly different impression (IMO). It all depends what "use it a few times" means. You have perfect right to take it out the box, inspect the goods and to try them to assess their suitability. With (most) digital cameras it should be easy to tell the extent of usage (shutter count).

I was commenting on the assumption they were purchased online as stated in the OP.

At the end of the day I (and I assume you also) Am Not A Lawyer ... therefore if there is disagreement the best thing the OP can do is contact Citizens Advice or possibly local trading standards.

No, I am not a lawyer, but my business is ecommerce so it is important that I understand my customers rights as well as my own.

I blame consumer websites and programmes on the BBC for not explaining customer rights fully or the rights of the retailer. They all go on about customers rights to return an item but fail to includes the bits that explain that they can not use a product for 14 days and then simply return it. Most of them are also quick to point out that a retailer must also refund postage costs, but never include the bit where if a customer has paid extra for an expedited service then that additional cost is not refundable. If these consumer programmes/websites pointed out these caveats it would save a lot of arguing.

Whilst I understand that the consumer needs rights to protect themselves against dodgy traders, does it really take a customer 14 days to inspect goods. Would you visit a shop for 14 days to try a product?
These regulations are costing retailers billions, and then people wonder why retailers are happy to pay minimum wage and give zero hour contracts.

Last edited:
The law is different for shop purchases rather than online unfortunately. If it were faulty you'd have no trouble but a change of mind will probably at the store's discretion, if I were a shopkeeper I wouldn't want to take it back if it had been used a few times

So, better to try in the shop and buy online....
Utterly immoral. If you want to use the facilities offered by the retailer, you should expect to pay for them by shopping there..

Utterly immoral. If you want to use the facilities offered by the retailer, you should expect to pay for them by shopping there..

Don't be daft. You think just because you've tried/examined something in a shop you should be compelled to buy it? Retailers manipulate customers, customers manipulate retailers. That's business. If the retailer wants to compete with the online service then they need to match the online service.

If there was a shop set up purely to demonstrate cameras for a fee, I would be happy to use them.
Of course they could also sell new unopened boxes, but that would not be the expectation, but rather a bonus.
Alternatively they could have partnerships with other dealers or on line suppliers. who could pay introductory fees to them for completed sales.

They could also sell off the demonstration stock, as second hand at the end of the line.

Retailers CAN'T compete on an equal footing though because high street retailers have overheads such as staff and premises that the online stores avoid.

Warehouses are not free and have staff.

Websites don't run themselves and are constantly being updated with new stocks and new technology. This requires staff and technology.

There is the cost of shipping most of which is absorbed by the company because customers expect free delivery.

And then there is the cost of all the returns because people think they can use the goods for 14 days and then return it for a full refund.

Then you have the cost of fraud because there is no chip and pin and the banks don't give a s*** if a transaction is fraudulent or not. It's the retailers problem.

Cost of advertising? People don't walk past your website and just pop in and unless you are a big name then you have to pay to get people to your site. It costs me roughly 40p for every customer I get through my virtual door and £6 for before somebody actually buys something.

Call centres and support staff....... all cost money.

So, the high street retailers can't compete argument is moot.

Last edited:
Don't be daft. You think just because you've tried/examined something in a shop you should be compelled to buy it? Retailers manipulate customers, customers manipulate retailers. That's business. If the retailer wants to compete with the online service then they need to match the online service.
But the retailer is exceeding the online service by letting you get up close and personal with the goods! You cant have your cake and eat it!

But the retailer is exceeding the online service by letting you get up close and personal with the goods! You cant have your cake and eat it!

Yes I can. If the retailer allowed returns like the online shop with price matching then it would be competitive. Otherwise I'll play the system to get the best deal.

I think that if you go to the shop with no intention of buying but just to use their facilities and expertise, yes it is immoral. If the goods turn out to be not want you want, then, clearly, you should not buy them - but that is not what was suggested.

Back