John Lindsay's 52 - A Photo A Week for a Year UPDATED to Week 22

Just catching up on a fellow 52er :) Great images so far John - I won't pass comment on them all suffice to say no duff one's amongst the.

The cover shot and the 10pm shot are fantastic and a creative way to shoot the final image!

Looking forward to whatevers next from you - I'll try to keep up :D

Yet another great shot from you John. Love the distorted reflection and the clarity/sharpness of the coin. Well done :clap::clap:

Week 6 - Mr Muscle

3287438309_a51fe93f7a.jpg

Larger

My friend works out a bit, and it fitted in nicely for my submission dates for college as part of my fashion brief to take him up on his offer to do shot's that would be suitable for the cover of a Mens Health Magazine. He said that he was a bit out of shape still from the festive period however he still came in to get pictures taken.

Below is my attempt at designing said magazine cover:

3287438673_47df21979d.jpg

Larger

John

Last edited:
My dad gets on to me from time to time, saying that I've got more photography equipment than you could shake a stick at and I don't make the most of it.

How is Big 'Eck?

DB

Week 7 - Snowman Rally

3288296686_944de72d48.jpg

Larger

I'm the official photographer for this year's Scottish Rally Championship. The first round of which was on Saturday in Inverness. The Snowman Rally. It certainly lived up to it's name. The snow was more than knee deep. This is one of my favourite shot's of the day. It was originally shot in portrait format and I've cropped it back to landscape.

John

Week 8 - Strike!

I work part time in Halfords, and my boss there is assistant manager of a wee football team called Bishopton Athletic Football Club. So knowing I do a bit of photography he asked me if I'd like to come and do some shots for the team. I'm really pleased with the results, this is the first time I've done any football or anything since I took some shot's of rugby a few years ago and didn't really get anything worth keeping.

3300172915_c224b3f81a.jpg

Larger

C&C appreciated, there's been a wee lack of it for the last few weeks, wondering if my shots have not been so interesting or whatever :thinking:

John

Week 8 - Strike!

C&C appreciated, there's been a wee lack of it for the last few weeks, wondering if my shots have not been so interesting or whatever :thinking:

Hi John. Sorry I've missed the last couple of weeks - this is catch up time for me. :)

Week 6 Mr Muscle: You've nailed a great cover shot again. The pose is good - and he doesn't look at all out of shape to me. :D:D You've used the shadows to give him good muscle definition and he looks relaxed in front of the camera, so you must have put him at his ease. (All your models look so chilled!)

Week 7 Snowman Rally

I don't really know how to comment on this constructively (I know nothing about cars) It looks a nicely composed shot with the car well focussed and I guess it was moving pretty fast.

Week 8 Strike!

A well-timed action shot. The footballer's face is brilliant - you've caught his total concentration and determination beautifully. The background's a bit disappointing, but that's outside your control, so - yes - like it very much.

Jean

Some great shots going on there, excellent timing on the strike photo and the men's health looks spot on to me :)

That footie shot is marvellous - great timing, sharpness and colour. :)

A great set of shots John, sorry I missed these too.

Time for a catch up John. Sorry I've only commented a couple of times so far.

(Note to self - Must do better :()

Mr Muscle - if only I was 10 years younger (well probably 25 :(). I love the lighting on this and it really emphasises his muscle definition. :clap:

Snowman Rally - another great composition from you. You really get a sense of the speed with the snow flying from the back wheels. (y)

Strike - What an action shot!! Concentration, power, strength, and the DoF works well. This must have been a hard shot to capture.

Well done :clap::clap:

Thanks Guys, always good to hear the nice comments coming in. It's been a busy time for me recently, and been struggling to get everything right on its weekly deadline but I think it's been okay so far.

I do try to keep up with everyone who comments to me but recently everythings been up in the air, I also must do better :)

John

Week 9 - Website

3330669022_574bd2675b.jpg

Had a really busy week this week with work and stuff, been helping my uncle who's a gardener, now it's snowing again so thats finished that for the time being. Not really had a chance to shoot anything fresh so this is just a screen shot of something I've been trying to get organised for a while. It's not finished yet, but I hope it will be soon.

I haven't the first clue about dreamweaver or building websites or anything, and it's doing my head in, I just want it done!

John

Well I'd like to see it when it's done (y)

If that's a screenshot then you've done well not to get any flickering. But other than that it doesn't say much to me. Sorry :(

Im guessing he grabed the shot on screen rathern than took a photo of it Bruja ;)

I like the layout, nice and simple but could use some content;)

John, I can't believe I've missed your shots for the last few weeks.

Your cover shots are great, I think you'll nail that project at college.

The 10p shot is great, love the effect of the reflection, the lighting is spot on to capture the detail and the exposure is great (not an easy shot that).

Your Rally shot is good, although I think a lower perspective would be more dramatic this is a bit too high up. However, I appreciate that this is not always possible (safe) :D

Football - really great shot, although I note you shot this on f6.4 which seems a little small to me. I would have thought f4 or wider would have been better to get the background more OOF.

Website - not really a picture but I think too many togs have black backgrounds on their websites so to me it looks a little clichéd .

Last edited:
The website has changed a bit now, but still not ready lol.

Week 10 - Charity

3359592336_c95d08b4ed.jpg

Larger

At Coltness Car Club's dinner dance, we presented a cheque to Jimmy McRae (Colin's dad) for £12,500 to the Colin McRae Vision. The money was excess funds from the running of the McRae stages last year. I've sent this photo off to our local paper, and the Scottish columnist for the Motorsport news has also asked for it, so hopefully it'll get published.

John

I have failed with week 11, had a lot of other stuff on and just didn't get a chance, so I'll put 2 in for week 12 and hope I can be forgiven :p

Week 11 - Windmills (late :cautious:)

3380091654_d9fcb03e61.jpg

Larger

Week 12 - Sideways

3380092136_3b6f7ff8af.jpg

Larger

John

Just catching up. :)

Week 9 - look forward to seeing the next stage in your website development. :)

Week 10 - Charity. I've done a few of these PR presentation shots and you're very much at the mercy of the surroundings and the co-operation of the people involved. You've done a nice job on this one, John and I hope it gets published - both for your kudos and the charity. :clap:

Week 11 - Windmills. I nice atmospheric shot - could have come stright out of a sci-fi movie. I like. :D

Week 12 - I find it really hard to make any sort of comment on car photos, but judging by the clouds of dust and the title there was some lively action. :) Well caught.

Jean

Week 13 - Patriche

3408601947_612aa1ab56.jpg

Larger

This is Patriche, the girl who done the makeup for my Dazed Cover Shot. Nadia, a girl in Patriche's class at college was needing some shots taken for her graded unit, and I stepped in to help, as she was really struggling for time, so it was a bit of a rush to get everything organised but it all came together in the end.

C&C as always much appreciated.

John

Last edited:
Time for a mega catch up from me and sorry (again) for not keeping up :(

Charity - does what it says on the tin (y)

Windmills - don't know why you feel let down by this as I think it's a fantastic, atmospheric shot :clap::clap:

Sideways - Like Jean I'm not an afficionado but I love the sense of movement this has with the dust kicking up behind it :clap::clap:

Patriche - I love the upper body part of this short but something about the perspective makes her right leg appear foreshortened and the sole of the shoe is a big black distraction for me. Perhaps have the leg at a slightly differnt angle (whilst maintaining her modesty :naughty:) would work better?

I agree with Bruja re Patriche, im not 100% sure the angle of her legs is right. I do like the way all the tones tie in with each other :)

I'm with Jill and Ruth on this - I love the perspective but would like to see a slightly different positioning of her legs. The angle of her left thigh isn't very flattering - I'm sure she's got fabulous pins. :) And it's a little bit at odds with the very glamorous 50's look you've created so well.

You've definitely got an eye for images that would be ideal for high-end glossy mags. :clap::clap:

Jean

I like the jumping shot more than the sitting down shot (I think the one sitting down is too orange, there are marks on her knees plus I'm not sure she'd be that impressed about making her thighs and bum look big ;))

The jumping shot looks like she's jumped right out of her skirt, but that just could be me not getting fashion :LOL:. Still like it though (y)

Week 14 - Boing

3426462976_8f8c3cfbbc.jpg

Larger

A slinky, coming down a set of home made steps! Normal size house stairs are too long for the slinky to go from one step to the next. This is part of a college project for my graded unit based on Applied photography, so expect to see some more stuff along these lines in the coming weeks!

John

Of the two Week 13 shots, I prefer the first one. Despite my comment on the pose (positioning of her legs) the overall look of the shot is stylish retro 50s - and very well done at that. (The marks on her legs could easily be cloned out.)

The jumping shot is photographically very good but the lively energy in the shot doesn't sit very well with your model's ladylike and glamorous appearance, and as Bruja said the necklace is a bit distracting. This would be a great pose for her to wear her hair in a casual 'flyaway' style, a little less blusher and cute shorts and top, to give a sort of sexy, girl-next-door image. Just rereading your original post, and realise Patriche may have been styled like this for Nadia's graded unit, in which case I realise you had to go with the outfit and makeup. So I should probably just shut up and move on to -

WEEK 14: This is fun, colourful and crazy - it love it. (y)(y)

You've got just enough light on the stair risers to define them, and I like the light on the static slinky. I bet this was fun to shoot! Look forward to lots more. :)

Jean

Love the slinky shot, great colours and well captured :clap::clap:

Drip, drip, love the composition and the processing really suits it, well done from me :clap::clap: (y)

Week 16 - Spin

3464631297_38e9da7896.jpg

Larger

After seeing a shot a long time ago of a backlit tennis ball, where all the wee hairs were highlighted and thought it looked great I decided I would try a different 'spin' on it.

What do you guys think?

I'm really sorry John, I keep missing your 52... Some superb shots... Love the windmills with the moon in there, very atmospheric. I also love the "Spin" shot.. brilliant (y)

Back