John Lindsay's 52 - A Photo A Week for a Year UPDATED to Week 22

Name
John Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to give this a go.

Not been on the forum in a while but was thinking before the new year that I'd like to do something along the lines of the 365's. Most notably Jimmy Lemon's made me want to give this a go, has been quite a bit of an inspiration.

Not only that I don't take enough photo's, it's a fact. My dad gets on to me from time to time, saying that I've got more photography equipment than you could shake a stick at and I don't make the most of it.

I decided to do this when on a "photographic expedition" before New Year and as such I'm cheating with my first photo because it wasn't taken this week.

So you may say this is the Photo that really made me actually go through with it so I think it's okay to cheat with it, plus I really do like it! :p

Week 1:

3170751079_d98a9f19a7.jpg

Larger

Hope I can keep it up for the rest of the year. :)

Cheers,

John

Last edited:
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the comments.

Not sure if I'll be at Mull, I'll be working but dad will be there I think.

Snowman... Again not sure, I should probably book days off for all the rallies in advance this year. :thinking:

John

Whether you took the shot this week or not it's good and if you have the intention to go out and shoot a fresh image every week then that's the main thing.

I think I would like to see some light on the bridge itself, just the sides seem odd somehow :shrug: not sure why, and not even sure if that was done the shot would be any better.

it's a bit torched!

I have other shots of the same location where I've lit up the inside of the bridge with the torch and after looking through them all, I'm glad this one has no light there.

Main reason being possibly because the bridge is shut and locked off and its got a big fence up, on the fence are a few big white signs saying no entry or whatever.

I also quite liked the suspense created, as by not being able to see what's in there it makes you think about what could be there, a kind of road to nowhere type thing.

John

Cheers for all the comment's so far folks. Week 2's picture is shot. (I think)

Will get it up later tonight or sometime tomorrow!

John

As promised:

Week 2: Upon A Hill

3192309782_122c211848.jpg

Larger

Spotted this shot out the window on the way back from a day out with the bike's at Glentress, had been a dreadful day, got pretty soaked, and wasn't too happy with the pics of the biking, so I was pleased when I seen the colours in the sky on the way home. Pulled in at the side of the road and took a few shots, there was an old building at the same level as these trees, which is what first caught my attention, it had no roof, and a tree (similar to these) growing right beside it. I've gone for this one as I like the way these 2 trees seem to be there alone, with one leaning in to the other to watch the sunset on the other side.

It was originally a portrait shot, but I preferred it cropped to landscape format. I've also done a little levels and curves work on the sky and foreground separately to bring out the colours in the sky.

John

Last edited:
I love the colours and the composition here. I think you made the right choice with the landscape format.

Week 3 - Dazed & Confused

3234755016_0b2f4b9fc3.jpg

Larger

This is an image shot for a college project. The idea of the project is to shoot an image suitable for the cover of "Dazed and Confused" magazine. The magazine cover is usually something a bit 'out there' that's kinda what I was going for here.

Model: My Girlfriend, Iona Lawson

Make-Up & Hair: Patriche McGuire

John

Last edited:
I don't know the magazine, but it is clearly a good shot. I really like the back lighting even if it is highlighting lots of stray hairs (perhaps this is the magazine style, as I said I don't know it). Is the exposure to the front done with a side light to the right and I'm I'm guessing reflector on the left. I notice a lack of distinctive catchlights in the eyes (there are some but they merge with the eyebrows) was this deliberate?

Could you also tell me are the ears actually made up to orange as the forehead appears to be or is this a trick of the back lighting? What ever the case I think it works.

One thing I'm not sure on but I would have thought that if this is for a magazine wouldn't they need a bit of space at the top of the image for the masthead?

It is a great image and as well talented you are a lucky boy ;) I hope you treat her well (y)

Hi Simon,thanks for those nice comments, she says I do treat her well, so I'll just have to try and keep that up... :p

In research I've been doing recently I've been finding that the name of the magazine, usually vogue, the letters of the magazine name take second place to the cover shot. That's what I was planning to do with this.

Got some without the backlighting, and they work well too, but I like it catching up the stray hairs. I'm trying to think how I achieved this final light setup. There's 5 lights involved. One directly behind, with two back 3/4. There's one lamp directly in front, above camera pointing down at about 45 degree's, fitted with a beauty dish. There's also another lamp with the same fitment behind it, which is pointing off to the side. I think I found the modelling lamp on the front light to be enough to illuminate the face, and the back one, flashing to nowhere was giving the catchlight in the eyes. There's a large reflector parallel with the floor being held just out of shot to the bottom, throwing light back up into the face. Sorry if that made no sense, however... I understand it (almost) :wacky:

There's no makeup on the ears, I can only assume they've gone translucent with the backlighting, the makeup is absolutely wonderful, there's a lot of work gone into it, and I'm sure it shows.

I'll post up some other shots from the day aswell.

John

Liking your photos so far (y) keep up the good work :D

Thanks kelack

Here's this week's installment.

Week 4 - A Walk In The Park

3233908903_6668c24e29.jpg

Larger

Again, part of the fashion brief for college, this is a friend of mine, also conveniently a model. Off camera flash to the right hand side just to put a little bit of fill in and light up her face and the jacket a little bit. Tried some other shots in other outfits but this was the final one, and the cream coloured coat just seemed to really fit in with the surroundings, I really liked the pose here aswell.

C&C Again, as always very welcomed.

John

Last edited:
Another great image, I like can really see this as an advertising image for the coat manufacturer in their Autumn catalogue, there is nice space for "blurb". The pose is very "fashion" and the composition is great. I love the way the face is placed on the 3rds and the path (and right leg - as we see it) draws the eye from to the coat. The DoF is also judged to perfection too.

If I had to be really picky, I struggle to see the right side of the belt as it seems to hide in the pocket outline, it contrasts too much with the left side which is really clear (but as usual I am really having to look to find anything negative).

Hi Simon,

Thanks once again. Not totally sure what you mean about the belt hiding, unless you mean the model's right side, (Left Hand Side as we look at it) where the highlight is causing the belt to blend in too much as it goes round the back? Or is it the 'dangly down' bit (for want of a better expression)

John

Hi Simon,

Thanks once again. Not totally sure what you mean about the belt hiding, unless you mean the model's right side, (Left Hand Side as we look at it) where the highlight is causing the belt to blend in too much as it goes round the back? Or is it the 'dangly down' bit (for want of a better expression)

John

It's the "dangly down" bit on the model's left (our right) that seems to blend with the pocket. Did I say I was having to look really hard :D

But now you say it the belt loop on the left (model's right) does look a little odd sticking out.

I had noticed the belt loop myself, and wondered if it needed removing, however, hindsight is a wonderful thing, I've already got them printed for college submission, and one on my newly created "gallery wall"

John

Hi John. I seemed to have missed your posts for the last couple of weeks. Sorry. Catch up time now. :)

Week 2: I love the colour in the sky and the composition works very well. Also like the landscape crop. All very effective.

Week 3: I bet you had loads of fun doing this shoot. The make up, hair pose and lighting all combine to make an 'edgy' portrait. At first I thought your girl friend's expression was meant to be dazed and confused - but read the small print, Jean :bonk: - it's the title of the mag. As Simon says, you'd need a bit of space at the top for the masthead for a cover, but as a portrait shot it's excellent. I love the way the creative make up is enhanced by her pose and you've made good use of the backlighting.

Week 4: imo, this shows great control of the lighting. It would have been easy to go ott. Again, Simon beat me to it - a good catalogue/fashion article shot. :) I would have cloned out the belt loops, that's if I'd spotted them before it was too late. :D

Jean

Hi Jean...

Hygiene? Get It?? Oh dear, I do crack myself up.... :help: Not that you've ever heard that before eh? lol, my Mum's called Jean by the way!

Thanks for the nice comments!

The Magazine shot ended up looking like this:

3966318227a9928554621l.jpg

I think it works quite well. Everyone's Thoughts?

'Lo John. No never heard 'Hi Jean' joke before. :LOL::LOL: btw, say 'Hi ......' to your mum from me!

That cover is ace. I hope you were thrilled with it. I like the way the masthead fits in behind your girlfriend's head - the letter 'Z' is clearly a 'Z' even though it's slightly hidden. I hope she was pleased with the way it turned out. The backlighting gives excellent separation from the black background. The total effect is very eyecatching - stunning. Oh yeah, I do like it very much. Well done :):)

Jean

My turn to catch up :D

I'm really enjoying following your weekly challenge and love the way the magazine cover has turned out. The colours and composition in the sunset shot are great and the landscape crop really works. You've definitely got what it takes :clap::clap:

Well guys Thank You all very much. It's lovely to read these nice comments!

Certainly keeps me going and wanting to get on and get those next shots done.

Once again, thanks very much, and keep all the C&C coming please!

John

John, I've somehow managed to miss out on this thread... Sorry. Just gone through and caught up. I have to say, the images are superb. That magazine cover has worked brialliantly :clap:

All images are excellent. Not sure if you are a 'pro' or not, but these images look pretty damn professional to me.

Thanks very much jaffamuffin, I'm not technically a "Pro" I'm 19 and studying and HND in photography at the moment. I have very little income whatsoever to be fair, and there's certainly not a lot of it from Photography work (yet) however I'm hoping to be successful one way or another lol.

(Late) Week 5 On it's way Shortly.

John

Week 5 - Money, It's A Gas

3269479958_27630bb3d3.jpg

Larger

A shot inspired by 'Pink Floyd - Money' in the video to this song there's clips of a 10 pence piece spinning round and round. And I wondered how I could try to create that in a photo. I thought about longer shutter speeds with a burst of flash to freeze the spinning coin. I couldn't get this to work at all as there's no way I could spin the coin and get it to sit in the one position. So instead I found this cool reflective black plastic stuff, it's a drawer liner, or organiser or something from my mums office cabinet, so I stood the coin up on it with a bit of blu-tac in behind to support it. Turned all the lights out and shot inside what was basically a wee cave. 25 Seconds at f5.6 and I'm really pleased with the result!

John

Back