Just got an Air Fryer !

They seem to take a lot longer in the air fryer, same goes for poached eggs, much quicker in a poacher :)

You forgot the fried bread and toast. I Have to admit, I've never tried white pudding, but I'll get around to it eventually.

Of course, love me some fried bread! My Dad was a baker so we grew up on thick fried soda bread [he used to do it in 'lard' as someone mentioned earlier] Nowadays I prefer a nice brown soda and fried in Kerrygold butter.

White pud can be very hit or miss depending on the producer, but tbh, I really like the Galtee or Denny white pudding sticks. You can obviously get much better from the right butchers but those cheap sticks of pud do the job

Jeez.....you never heard of actual potatoes? ;)
Air frying chips "Properly" is a bit of a faff, you are supposed to soak them at least once, for half an hour to get rid of the starch,
and then dry them, and spray with oil.
I tried it once and they were no better than the frozen ones, which of course is much faster.

Supposed to, perhaps, but in my extensive experience over the last couple of weeks, its not necessary. Just bung em in.....
Perhaps I'm using the wrong potatoes, but I tried it that way and they weren't very good.
/ open bag throw in frozen chips, beats standing at the sink peeling the damned things.
My all time worse kitchen chore that.

Weirdly, I quite enjoy spud bashing! (Even weirder, given the 40 year old face fungus, I enjoy shaving too!!! Horrendous razor rash from every type of razor means I don't do it.) Never have chips at home though, not even oven ones. Wedges, yes (tossed in oil and spice mixture) but no chips; restaurants do them so much better than we can.

Besides, IF I could do them well, I'd be too tempted to have them too often!

Proper chips rather than fries have a smaller surface area to volume ratio so will carry less oil.

I would back Morrisons triple cooked, done in an AF, against any others.

Did burgers in ours last night. When I do them in a pan, I add cheese slices after turning them. Being a little cautious last night, I only added them with just 40 seconds left. 40 seconds later, the cheese had oozed it's way off the burgers and through the holes in the crisper plate! :facepalm:

I would back Morrisons triple cooked, done in an AF, against any others.
I've tried a few since we got the air fryer and, for us, McCain Home Chips are our favourite. Seasoning them with Knorr Aromat before cooking makes them extra tasty.

As for doing them from scratch, the challenge is making sure they're all the same size so they cook evenly.

Did burgers in ours last night. When I do them in a pan, I add cheese slices after turning them. Being a little cautious last night, I only added them with just 40 seconds left. 40 seconds later, the cheese had oozed it's way off the burgers and through the holes in the crisper plate! :facepalm:

I never have a burger without a slice of melty cheese atop! I never use crappy cheese singles though, I'll use nice thick [pre-sliced] cheddar or sometimes slices of Gouda [just bog standard from tesco] - after about 10 seconds I'll check, because depending on the burger/heat setting/cheese it can happen very fast in the AF after it's been cooking a while already. ALso your cheese might be sliding if you're not draining the fat off the burgers mid-cook, I usually take mine out half-way and drain excess off, I like 'em kinda dry

Last edited:
someone, please say "yes".........
Apparently yes, but having no actual way to test / compare them, I've no idea.

Did burgers in ours last night.
I find them very tasty, compared to pan fried (y) ( or grilled come to that)

I only added them with just 40 seconds left. 40 seconds later, the cheese had oozed it's way off the burgers and through the holes in the crisper plate!
I cook them in the air frier basket,
then switch to a baking tray, while adding cheese for the last 20 secs or so.
Failing that, the buns go under the grill top side down cheese grill side up.

I never have a burger without a slice of melty cheese atop!
A hunk of extra mature cheddar on mine ( No 5 from Iceland)

I'm not for one moment suggesting that MuckDonalds and the like are restaurants!!!

I never have a burger without a slice of melty cheese atop! I never use crappy cheese singles though, I'll use nice thick [pre-sliced] cheddar or sometimes slices of Gouda [just bog standard from tesco] - after about 10 seconds I'll check, because depending on the burger/heat setting/cheese it can happen very fast in the AF after it's been cooking a while already. ALso your cheese might be sliding if you're not draining the fat off the burgers mid-cook, I usually take mine out half-way and drain excess off, I like 'em kinda dry
They were mozarella slices and there's nothing worse than a dry burger! :eek:
I cook them in the air frier basket,
then switch to a baking tray, while adding cheese for the last 20 secs or so.
Failing that, the buns go under the grill top side down cheese grill side up.
Might try that with the buns as I put them under the grill anyway

They were mozarella slices and there's nothing worse than a dry burger! :eek:

Might try that with the buns as I put them under the grill anyway
Nah when I say dry, I mean not Slidey greasy, sloppy, they'll still have the juiciness within. Just outer 'dry' not maccy D type sandpaper dry :oops: :$

can you do a cottage pie in one or is it just a fryer replacement

" Just got an Air Fryer ! "

I have not tried fried air , May be good for my diet :p

As already mentioned, some are purely air friers, others are multifunctional.

I'm wondering how sucessful pan cakes will be, air fried.
Obviously they'll need to go on a solid base, using the air fryer basket may not be a good idea :D

I'm not an expert but you can definitely BAKE in one.

My chip intake has increased by about 200% since we got the air fryer just after christmas.

And for those that insist on buying oven chips, just buy a few spuds, peel and slice them and bung 'em in.....! Cheap as ..... er..... chips.........

Next stop - home-made bread!

Last edited:
As already mentioned, some are purely air friers, others are multifunctional.

I'm wondering how sucessful pan cakes will be, air fried.
Obviously they'll need to go on a solid base, using the air fryer basket may not be a good idea :D
I saw a vid of someone doing pancakes in one, they used a thick mix and put parchment paper between each dollop to make a little stack. Always looks easier than when you go try it yourself of course, could get messy! I've never tried, I do have a round tin that fits perfectly in mine that makes it possible. I have baked almond flour cheese bread in there though, during my keto phase.

Another plus for air friers.
re-heating day old Chinese chicken balls.
2 mins each side ( these are elongated rather than round)
no need to add oil, there is plenty in the batter.
they come out hot and nice and crispy, maybe even better than the originals..

As above I did try the pancakes, they were not 100% successful, but not bad.

Been doing wraps for lunch in ours. a layer of ham or salami and a layer of cheese. Repeat before folding wrap from left and right then top and bottom to for a square. Turn over so folds are underneath and air fry at 190° for 8 minutes.

Another plus for air friers.
re-heating day old Chinese chicken balls.
2 mins each side ( these are elongated rather than round)
no need to add oil, there is plenty in the batter.
they come out hot and nice and crispy, maybe even better than the originals..

As above I did try the pancakes, they were not 100% successful, but not bad.

Yup, I've found the AF perfect for re-crisping things.

Also if you're a bit lazy, like me, Mcain jacket spuds - which can be done in 6mins in the microwave [giving a nice soft interior] - finish off real nice in an AF [for crispy outer!] , saving you 20+ minutes

Last edited:
I've not tried the oven spuds, as yet, but I'll get around to it eventually.

Last edited:
Back