week 5 Speed at post #66
week 4 Street at post #46
week 3 Chopped at post #36

Here's my first attempt

only 51 to go :bonk:

Last edited:
that's very good
exposure is great
DOF pretty good too, with the main focus about 1/3rd of the way in!

good start :clap:

(y) Very Curvy!!!
Nice colours and perfect use of DOF on this one.
If I have one niggle it's the open space at the tope of the shot where the bench ends - I'd be tempted to crop that little bit away.
Good to have you on board and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your 52.

Quick Tip : If you update your thread title (i.e. your first post) to show the week no. and theme, people will know that you've put your shot up and you'll get more people looking.
With so many 52s this year, it's going to start getting hard to pick out which have been updated :)

great spot, works so well for this weeks theme, I would have gone for a tighter crop myself though ;)

Great start. Nothing I can really add that hasnot been said above, good luck, will keep upto date with your thread.

If I have one niggle it's the open space at the tope of the shot where the bench ends - I'd be tempted to crop that little bit away.

I agree with Sarah on this, and it's a small niggle for me to be honest. I find that leg a bit distracting in the top right corner too.

Nice interpretation!

Ian.

Umm, me too on the leg and the space... I do love the use of the focal point to drag the viewer in, a great plus for a nice piccie.

Arthur

thanks for looking everyone and for the encouraging comments.

Lesson 1 ... think about cropping for better results ... this was straight out the camera other than resizing for the forum.

Off to look at some of the other 52-ers :)

I like this but would crop very slightly from the right hand side to lose the bit of leg that is a little distracting for me. :clap:

Lovely saturation. As has been mentioned the space at the bottom spoils it a little. Perhaps moving in closer to the seat for a tighter angle to help fill the frame might have helped.

Good spot, good shot, and on theme (y)

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment everyone.

I will try and take on board the suggestion for next time.

Well spotted! I agree about cropping it slightly, but otherwise I like the way you have focused it and used the light. I would love to see a B/W version, too. (y)

was going to post this as my WEEK 2 picture .....

Title : Blank Verse !!!

but thought better of it ... and will go for this one

Title : Mr Elliot's Cats

taken just with natural light from the window ... is it a bit dark

Last edited:
i really like week one's image ,as for week two i actually like the first image simples (y)

I loved your first one it made me laugh but 2nd shot needs to be as you say a bit lighter and a bit more of a close up so we could read the words, other than that great try and this week is over now see what next week throws at us :LOL:

I love your week one image - brilliant. :clap: However, I can't say that your week 2 one is working for me - there just doesn't appear to be a focal point for me? :shrug:

Nice effort though, and I look forward to the next 50!

Thanks for looking everyone. It's not an easy theme and I was trying to avoid the "take a picture and find a poem that fits" approach !

I have tried to make it a bit brighter as it does look very dark on here.

Week 1 Nicely done, great colour and the bench fits the theme perfectly.

Week 2 Not a chance of having a book of poetry in my house.The angle doesn't quite work for me, maybe shot from a little lower would work better. :shrug:

(y)

Week 1: Very nice, not sure how I missed this thread, I thought I got all of them (queue 20 people all posting that I missed them).

Week 2, bit too busy. I think it has potential, but isolate the one book on its onw on a plane background maybe, or get low to it and play about with depth of field.

Best of luck for the rest of the year.

Poetry, I'm really not sure about it, I like the idea, but I think it's just too busy. Sorry.

2nd one (brighter) is much better
good subject matter too, not an easy week!

I love the concept behind this, but the execution is just lacking a little bit of the wow factor for me.

The way you've laid it out is good, but I think a lower perspective and narrower DOF would have worked better. The focal point being the text in the open book and the background items a little out of focus - it would stop the frame looking quite so cluttered, but still keep all the elements there.

Thanks for all the comments. I was going to try this again along the lines of Sarah's comments .. might still get a chance while thinking about week 3 ... when that theme appears. I need a bright day as it was taken in natural light by a window.

I must say that has a lot more impact! :clap:

Mike, Kay, thanks for taking the time to look and comment. This weeks theme is causing a lot of head scratching to try and avoid the obvious !

Well all the head scratching was totally unsuccessful. So instead I used an obvious subject and tried to learn a bit about taking on black / white backgrounds.

Photos are nothing special but I learnt a bit about lighting and I also learned why sometime the camera refused to focus in AV with central focusing. Now know that I can get it to focus by pointing central square on an edge ..something to give it more contrast to get hold of.... can you tell I'm not very technically minded :bonk:

Only natural light used, backgrounds are large sheet of paper.

I literally sweated blood for this one! I thought I'd try using a tray covered with silver foil to reflect a bit of light and managed to slice the top of a finger.... dangerous stuff this photgraphy lark :D Still at least I didn't drip all over the white background.

Anyway here are the photos .. one on each back ground.

Now I can go and look at some of the other Chopped and see what good imaginations you all have !

I like the last one in your poetry shots, chopped I prefer the white background, the apple seems to have more detail.

yup
white for me too
exposure and detail so much better (y)
good to experiment - the only way to learn!

Back