Justlooking's 52 for 2010 - week 52 together - page 18

Sounds like this week was a real learning curve for you, chopped fingers and everything! :LOL:
OK, apple on a plate isn’t the most exciting shot ever but you’ve got it spot on in the white background one!
Lovely colours in the apple and the focus look perfect.
Good to see you learning new things from the 52.

Dave, Richard, Mike, Terran & Sarah,

thank you for taking the time to look and comment. From the comments I guess the white one is the better of the two although I'm not sure I like either very much. Still as Mike said it's good to experiment.

The last poetry shot works well, with much more impact than your first attempts.

I prefer the second apple shot, with the white BG - more detail and colours, I think.

(y)

The white background Chopped for me. Really well done

Week 4 - Street

well I went for a wonder round my town with camera in hand ... not something I usually do .. didn't seem to get too many funny looks.

Took various pictures, a couple accidentally in full manual and even the one I am posting here had iso400 set by accident.

Lessons learnt .. take more time composing picture although I felt really awkward with people around and check settings :bonk:

Anyway here's this weeks effort. I liked the way the old cobbles meet the new style blocks on this street.

crikey that is good :clap:
well spotted!

This is great - I have a shot of an unploughed field similarly "etched" by a dusting of snow. It's amazing the difference it makes and how it can show up things we would miss otherwise. Nice capture but would like to see less of the cobbled area to match the top area?

Arthur

That's why I like the idea of the 52; seeing other's take on the same theme. If such a street existed in my town, I very much doubt I would have even noticed the difference between the old and new.

Just goes to show what photo opportunities there are if you keep your eyes and mind open.

i like the old meets new look too, I think this may have more impact in mono though as there isn't much colour anyway.

I hadn't thought about converting to mono .. might give it a go

crikey that is good :clap:
well spotted!

thanks Mike

I love the old meets new. Maybe I need to get my head down for a bit

thanks for looking

really cool street shot, makes me ponder. Beautiful contrast.

wonder what it makes you think about !

I really like that - the snow is a bonus. Well spotted!

Thanks for looking Tracer and taking the time to comment.

This is great - I have a shot of an unploughed field similarly "etched" by a dusting of snow. It's amazing the difference it makes and how it can show up things we would miss otherwise. Nice capture but would like to see less of the cobbled area to match the top area?

Arthur

Have to agree Arthur, I think the snow really helps

That's why I like the idea of the 52; seeing other's take on the same theme. If such a street existed in my town, I very much doubt I would have even noticed the difference between the old and new.

Just goes to show what photo opportunities there are if you keep your eyes and mind open.

It is amasing the wide variety you get for a theme. People have really good imaginations.

Wow, I really love that :love:

I'm a sucker for abstracts anyway and to spot that is just up my street (sorry :LOL:)

Old meets New certainly, and the snow in the gaps just adds a natural emphasis :clap::clap:

Great lines and contrast, well framed. Old meets new meets hard meets soft meets dark meets light. Might be a good place for a meet :)

This is really nice. I like all the different lines pulling my eyes this was and that. Clever stuff.

like the lines and patterns... the mix of old and new paving with the snow inbetween works very well.. good interpretation of the theme!

That's well spotted and works well for the theme (y)

Very good, and extremely well spotted. It sums this theme up well. (y)

This is really nice. I like all the different lines pulling my eyes this was and that. Clever stuff.

like the lines and patterns... the mix of old and new paving with the snow inbetween works very well.. good interpretation of the theme!

That's well spotted and works well for the theme (y)

Very good, and extremely well spotted. It sums this theme up well. (y)

Thanks all - I was sooo much happier with this one that the previous weeks and you have all made such encouraging comments :)

Hi Graham, I'm a bit behind with your thread here. Apologies!

You seem to be learning quite a bit here. There's a clear improvement in your shots, and documenting what you're doing is a great idea.

Poetry: Every shot I saw (I think you ended up with 4?) got better. The last angled shot of the poetry book with a great DoF is a clear winner.

Chopped. I like the fact that you tried two backgrounds. It's easy to forget about background when composing a shot, but it's worked well here, and the white background works much better.

Street. Another simple, yet powerful image. It might work from a B&W conversion, with a bit more contrast, but the lines in the paving have been well spotted and well framed.

Looking forward to see what you come up with for Speed!

Ian.

I love the way that the snow accentuates the pattern of the blocks.

Thanks Sue, I was lucky with the snow

Hi Graham, I'm a bit behind with your thread here. Apologies!

You seem to be learning quite a bit here. There's a clear improvement in your shots, and documenting what you're doing is a great idea.

Ian.

Thanks for taking the time to look at all my efforts so far. By the way ... I'm not Graham ... not only not my name it's not the right sex :D

June

Really struggled this week. Spent the morning driving from a to b to c in fog trying to get inspiration and failing miserably. Roll on this summer when the evenings are light and I'm not stuck with a Saturday morning to try and get a picture.

Anyway I don't want to miss a week so will have to use this one.

Plain and simple speed

Last edited:
technically not arf bad
sign slightly skew, but I think it was built that way by the look of it
shows the texture of the sign beautifully (never realised there was so much detail in there!)

Chopped....The first with the black background works best, you have to be quick when you shoot an apple they go brown very quickly.

Street....Nice take on the theme capturing old and new with a little dusting of snow.

Speed....I still haven't seen a speed camera yet :D simple shot just needs a straighten.

(y)

Another simple take on the theme that fits the bill perfectly. Unlike Foggy, I have seen another post with a Gatso as the chosen subject. Wonder if anyone has thought to take a photo combining both?

Very simple, but there's some very nice detail in it.
As Mike said, I'd never noticed that those signs had a reflective texture to them.

I'm struggling a bit with the slant. I really want to see it straightened, but I think that if you straightened the sign, the post would look off. Don't think there's really a win there and I'm just going to have to accept that it was a wonky sign :LOL:

Plain and simple speed

Yep, but it's very clear and you can see the honeycomb pattern. Would have really benefited from interesting sky. :)

Thanks for looking and the encouraging comments. I wasn't very happy with the picture but was running out of time.

I have to agree the sky is very bland .. wanted a blue sky with a plane in the sky .. was it too much to ask ?!

I have to agree the sky is very bland .. wanted a blue sky with a plane in the sky .. was it too much to ask ?!

I like the take on the theme, but maybe you could add a nice sky? A plane would add another dimension to the speed theme.

Jenny

Speed is really promising - it wouldn't be hard to substitute a more interesting sky (once you have found one, of course).

By the way ... I'm not Graham ... not only not my name it's not the right sex

:exit:

I think that's what they call a senior moment. I'm allowed to have them these days. I think my wife should take away my computer access as I'm not responsible.... Many apologies for getting that wrong. I have no idea what I was on about.

Anyway...

Speed... I like the shot. Agree that it does appear to be on a slight angle, and I also like the texture in the image. Who would think it of a street sign? Nice exposure against the sky too.

Ian.

A simple but effective take on the theme... Love the texture in the sign. I'm with the others... it looks wonky... but that's because the sign is... nothing you can do about it, straighten the sign, the post will be wonky... shame about the sky, but it just seems to be that way at the moment...

thanks all - I have not learnt photoshop yet and apart from tweaking the contrast, making a bit lighter or croping in picasa and resizing to upload here all my images are straight out of the camera. I feel to learn the camera I need to try and get the best I can out of the camera not rely on software to make the picture.

Here we go again... my take on present.

The School of TalkPhotography. Looks like i've been skipping lessons while everyone else is ....present

LOL - brilliant idea!!! :LOL:

Back