Kell's TP 52 2020 - Weeks 51 and 52.

Food - the cow definitely leaves you wondering why, all the images are great, wonder if the council's now need to add signs at the beach advising seagulls may steal your food!!

Topical - great idea and very well done.
Food - a red kite swooping to steal your sandwich must be quite scary!

Hi Kell

I like the food photos, last one is spot on as well, Red Kites are fantastic birds to look at when circling over a bbq on the look out for grub.

Pete

Interesting collection of shots which fit the theme in a variety of ways. Loving the kite sign - I certainly haven't seen one of those before.

Week 43 - Sharp.

This is a Scalpel I've had since college (1995) when we used to do a lot more paste-up work and type came from PMTs.

While it doesn't get much use any more, I still keep it because I've had it so long.

Took various shots and processed some in B&W, but in the end preferred the colour version - I think the yellowed sellotape really helps tell the story of its long life.

TP 43 - Sharp-2444 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

These others are of a knife I've always wanted since I was in the Scouts. Finally picked one up last year while in France. Classic Opinel No 8.

I love seeing shots of stuff like this in B&W with loads crunchy grain in them, but it's a shame to lose the wonderful colour of the wooden handle. In the end, I chose the B&W, but it was a tough call.

TP 43 - Sharp-2445 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP 43 - Sharp-2445-2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP 43 - Sharp-2447 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP 43 - Sharp-2452 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP 43 - Sharp-2453 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice. I think you chose well for the main thread with the B&W Opinel. We have a couple of those at home (a his and hers!), but ours look a little worse for wear!

I believe getting the reflections right on a knife are very tricky, so I did think I might have a go myself this week. You seem to have managed this perfectly.

I rather like your colourful scalpel - it tells a story indeed - but of the Opinel, you definitely picked the right one for the thread.

The tones and shades are lovely.

Lovely knives those Opinel. It's the last of the colour shots for me :)

Nice set of knives. The B&W choice for the thread works very well (might have cloned out the hair).

A rather nice set of pics Kell. I like the last colour one too. That wooden handle looks great.

Sharp in every way. The scalpel for me.. I do love tools that tell a tale.

Sharp
A think the scalpel works really well. Like you said, the old sellotape gives you a sense of history.

Week 44 - Digital (Manipulation) Age

I had an idea for this around DIGITAL manipulation. It was a thought I had last week for SHARP - but didn't get around to shooting it. Seems more relevant on Halloween week.

Comp of four shots, but the light was inconsistent between them all and trhe retouch is pretty poor TBH.

It's not come off. I may have to reshoot this and actually get some fake blood out to help with it.

TP 44 - Digital-2457 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think you are being a bit over critical of your own work it looks fine to me, bit of blood might have helped maybe but otherwise I like it

Great concept Kell and definitely the right type of theme for Halloween, I think you're right, a little "blood" would bump the impact. I'm looking forward to seeing your re-shoot of the image.

In fairness, I reworked the original and uploaded another attempt using the shots I'd already taken.

I'm happier with the re-uploaded version, but still would like another go...

Just for ref, here's the first one I did. The lack of reflections on the knife and the shadows (and cut-out) on the finger are all wrong.

TP 44 - Digital-2457.2.jpg

Second version definitely an improvement - either look painful!! Blood would add to the realism, but possibly not the easiest thing to add... Great imagination for the theme!

Great idea for the theme, I'd have to say that the one you posted with the 'blood' is my favourite. Good job and clever manipulation.

All good images for the theme - I think the incorporation of blood is a good choice. Makes me cringe anyway! The lighting looks great.

Just as an FYI: This is how I did it.

Worked out where my hand would be. (I'd just taken my watch off btw - not sure why my hand looks that pudgy mind.)

TP 44 - Digital-2477 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Put the cleaver in place and moved my hand slightly so I could still capture one with reflections.

TP 44 - Digital-2478 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Substitute 'end of finger' with ketchup and fake blood.#

TP 44 - Digital-2489 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Finger with blood:

TP 44 - Digital-2491 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Substitute for end of chopped finger:

TP 44 - Digital-2500 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Finger in place:

TP 44 - Digital-2502 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Close up of finger

Chopped finger - close up.jpg

Last edited:
That's very well done and quite gory too. I like your step-by-step guide to photographing a dismembered finger.

Great stuff. The 'blood' adds that extra touch - perhaps could have been more liquid than jellified?

Loved this sort of thing, not fingers being chopped but image manipulation and artistic talent. I certainly appreciate the effort put into it and enjoyed the tutorial.

Great Image and interesting how to guide.

I want to learn how to do that sort of manipulation and should have the time now, just need the concentration on just one thing at a time as I'm very easily distracted.

Pete

Thank you all for the comments.

I don’t think the retouching would necessarily hold up to real scrutiny, but I was quite pleased with the end result.

I think I learned quite a bit after the first attempt. About reflections, and how to create more of an illusion.

Digital (manipulation)
A good set of shots you've got there. You would have been good with the first shot, but the 3rd post is an improvement.

Week 45 - Snapper's choice.

Really haven't been outside this past week at all. But did spot a squirrel and a robin in our garden at the same time. Was hoping to get them both in one shot and only just managed it for (my version of) the technique.

I was upstairs, shooting through our bedroom window, at 400m and between 1/160 and 1/250 shutter speed. SO everything's a little bit soft TBH.

(ETA - 400mm. I wasn't 400m away.)

Robin - with a very SOFT FOCUS squirrel on the fence behind.

TP45 - Snapper's Choice-9379 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Some others.

TP45 - Snapper's Choice-9376 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP45 - Snapper's Choice-9378 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP45 - Snapper's Choice-9385 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP45 - Snapper's Choice-9392 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
All I can is your windows must be very very clean, the robin in the first Photo is fanastic.
The last one is my least favorite, not so much stand out colour.

Pete

Lovely robin images, i'm also not so sure about the last one (is it because the squirrel gets a bit 'lost' in the grass?). Great set of pics though.

Week 45 - Snapper's choice.

Really haven't been outside this past week at all. But did spot a squirrel and a robin in our garden at the same time. Was hoping to get them both in one shot and only just managed it for (my version of) the technique.

I was upstairs, shooting through our bedroom window, at 400m and between 1/160 and 1/250 shutter speed. SO everything's a little bit soft TBH.

Robin - with a very SOFT FOCUS squirrel on the fence behind.

haha I liked that! Nice clean images and certainly on my monitor it looks like you've controlled the WB, tones and colours very accurately.

Nice series of robin photos - my favourite is the one with the robin looking quizzically at the decorative light bulbs.

Bit of a shoehorn to call a completely blurred squirrel 'very soft focus' :)

Nice series of robin photos - my favourite is the one with the robin looking quizzically at the decorative light bulbs.

I think it's more likely he was probably keeping an eye out for our cat.

It wouldn't be the first time he's gifted us a Robin. :oops: :$

Always nice to seea Billy Bobbin :)

Back