Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
;)

Full story to follow.

LEO1.jpg

Well he/she has been down to the vets for a check over.Big thanks to Mearleys in Accrington for not charging me...........(y)

And yes Chris, I kep well away from those talons....:eek:

LEO2.jpg

The wings seem to be fine.

LEO4.jpg

And his eyes seem fine.

LEO3.jpg

The bird has been in here,in a dark warm room straight after I took the intial pic.

LEO5.jpg

Thanks to Ian for the info and massive thanks to Chris,Cobra,for the advice...........(y)

The bird has picked up well,I reckon you were right Chris,the rain was very heavy last night.I`ll check the forecast and either release it this evening or tomorrow.........(y)

Nice post Ade, its great when we can give something back (y)

when we gonna get the full story frac ?

Oops, sorry.

Mrs Frac was out with the dog this morning and spotted the bird on a track where a lot of dog walkers go,the bird was huddled up next to the wall and made no effort to get away,fearing the worst, she came home and told me about it.

Grabbing my welding gauntlets and leaving the dog at home,I went for a look.The bird was wet and bedraggled but alive.Again it made no attempt to escape or scarper.donning gloves and with an old fleece I gently bent down and carefully wrapped the fleece around the bird,at this stage it just played dead.Once I had him wrapped up and under my coat,he opened his eyes and just watched where we were going,occasionally looking at me with those wonderful eyes.

I could feel the bird warming up as I walked home. Mrs Frac went for an old cat box and I put him down on the kitchen floor to take a pic whilst waiting.When I went to pick him up to put in the box,boy was he recovering fast,he puffed up and hissed like hell whilst running and flapping his way around the kitchen.I managed to collar him ,being very careful so as not to damage his wings.

Anyhow,after his visit to the vets,he is now sat in the box with an old towel under him,a towel over the box,some fresh rabbit in there and looking rather pleased with himself,he is sat on a settee for the first time in his life.........:D

I say he,but it may be a she,dont` know.
.......:shrug:

Last edited:
lol about the settee, great story and well done to you and the misses hope it makes a full recovery and does'nt get to use to your settee. nice one m8 (y)

Its a shame ive got work to do mate, id be in the car to come and witness the release :)

I`ll photograph the event Ian........(y)

Marvellous tale - and some good shots too.

I was involved in the rescue of a trapped deer down in the Chilterns a couple of years back - poor thing was snared on a wire fence. Does give you a good feeling to know you've helped and it's great when others also helping out, remind you how good folks can be at times.

Hope the release goes well.

Hmmmmm........I thought it was a long eared owl......:shrug:

Before releasing it you might want to check on one of the birdforums or something to see if it is anyones.
I think it is a bengal eagle owl not native so might be an escapee.
Cool find though.:D

I agree! That's not a native bird.

Are there any leg rings or markings of a leg ring?

Also it might be chipped.

Thanks to Ian for the info and massive thanks to Chris,Cobra,for the advice...........

The bird has picked up well,I reckon you were right Chris,the rain was very heavy last night.I`ll check the forecast and either release it this evening or tomorrow.........(y)

Just caught up with this Ade (y)
( any time mate you know that (y) )

EEO's, Bengals and long ears are very "similar" and difficult to ID
from pictures
I would go with Ade though, that its a long ear
(Its too small to be a EEO )

Looking at the size and the fact that if it were and escapee it would still be wearing some "kit" and or a ring

Heres a few dimensions ( get the ruler out Ade :D)

Bengal

Size: Length 50-56 cm (19.7-22")
Wing Length Male 364-390mm (14.3-15.4") Female 375-425mm (14.8-16.7")
Weight 1100g (38.8oz) (weight of one male specimen)

long eared owl

Size: Female average Length: 37cm (14.6") Wingspan: 100cm (39") Weight: 282g (10oz)
Male average Length: 34cm (13.4") Wingspan: 96cm (38") Weight: 259g (9oz)

EEO
Length: 68 cm Wingspan: 175 cm Weight: M: 2.3 kg F: 3.3 kg

Edit if you don't mind I will "nick" a pic and send it to an owl expert that I know
He will be able to ID it for sure

Last edited:
Bengal.jpg

Any help?

LEO6.jpg

Hmm, looking at the pic of it in the cat box, we have one similar, you could be right with the long eared owl. :shrug:

The pic I posted from my gallery is a Bengal, The EEO's are huge.

Wingspan indicates long eared owl.

Well he/she has been down to the vets for a check over.Big thanks to Mearleys in Accrington for not charging me...........(y)

And yes Chris, I kep well away from those talons....:eek:

LEO2.jpg

The wings seem to be fine.

LEO4.jpg

And his eyes seem fine.

LEO3.jpg

The bird has been in here,in a dark warm room straight after I took the intial pic.

LEO5.jpg

Thanks to Ian for the info and massive thanks to Chris,Cobra,for the advice...........(y)

Hey i didnt know you where from Accy fracster how about a few lessons;)

Hey i didnt know you where from Accy fracster how about a few lessons;)

I live in Accy, not from Accy,you?

You can pop up for the release tonight if you are nearby........(y)

That is a gorgeous looking bird, good on you mate. Bet you'll get a real buzz when he/she flies away all better :)

Chris.

Ok so "my" tame expert is saying young EEO
and suggestes that you have it scanned for a micro chip
(the mystery deepens )

If it turns out to be then I suggest that you contact the
IBR
who may well know who the owner is

Wingspan indicates long eared owl.

Looks like it's a long eared with the measurements and the lack of leg ring.

Well done!

Did the vet not scan it?

edit, obviously not or you would have said. :bang:

Last edited:
What do I do with this bird now............:bang:

This is an Eagle Owl,deffo,from a falconry place.Looks mighty similar...........:shrug:

_ADE8317.jpg

Back