Kitchen owl.

Looks like it's a long eared with the measurements and the lack of leg ring.

Well done!

This is not a long eared owl as they weigh no more than 12-14ozs and stand about 7-8inches high.. This is an Eagle owl that is none native so it would be illegal to release it.
My guess is a this year youngster and most likely a European eagle owl that has been lost during training.
If you need to get advice ring me tomorrow on 07855206765.
This is a Bengal I am training at the moment.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/fenlands/Gizmo/IMG_0668-1Small.jpg

Only you could find a non native with no rings :D

The IBR is a very good bet they will either find the owner or find someone local to you to take it until the owner is found

This is not a long eared owl as they weigh no more than 12-14ozs and stand about 7-8inches high.. This is an Eagle owl that is none native so it would be illegal to release it.

Thanks for jumping in George (y)

That is definitely an eagle owl of some sort....long eared owls are thin and pencil like :LOL:

I wouldn't let it go to be honest with you, if it is an escapee, there is a reason it ended up like it did the first time! Letting it go might mean the death sentence this time. Might be worth ringing some local falconers and putting the word about? I'm sure one of them will take it off your hands and give it a proper checking over, might be chipped or something. Otherwise, pop a new shed in the garden and you've got a new pet :D

RSPB article is worth a quick read :)

Last edited:
Another vote for not letting it go. It looks way too big to be a LEO and as Phil says, they tend to sit bolt upright and go skinny when unhappy whereas eagle owls often fluff up and get a bit cross.

Spoke to the IBR, they reckon young EEO,they are phoning around and shall revert ASAP.

It is not going anywhere yet.

Keep it and feed the cat to it when it's grown up. Beautiful bird Ade. I love owls I do... Got a friend with a Great Grey and an EEO and they are stunning animals - a bit thick but stunning

It's just a good job they don't have jobs to find, mortgages to pay and human women to deal with isn't it :p

Well done on the rescue Ade :) and the follow up too. It's a beautifull creature.

Get it too this guy his name is Nick Henderson and is probably one of the best rehabbers in the country.
http://www.raptor.org.uk/

Spoke to Nick earlier, he is not too far from where I work,I think he will get it.Depends on what the IBR and the WLO say tomorrow I suppose.

Only you could find a non native with no rings :D

The IBR is a very good bet they will either find the owner or find someone local to you to take it until the owner is found

LOL Ade what are you like mate ;)

Didnt even dawn on me to question what it was from the first pic cos it looked a bit bedraggled and poorly.

You got a big garden ? looks like you might have a new pet ;) hehehehe

I can`t keep it Ian,much to my daughters annoyance.

It has dried out fully now, has had a drink and scoffed some rabbit.It is now cleaning itself.

Pic for size reference.

LEO7.jpg

I can`t keep it Ian,much to my daughters annoyance.

It has dried out fully now, has had a drink and scoffed some rabbit.It is now cleaning itself.

Pic for size reference.

Hey frac, I hope you are not letting it smoke in the house :D

LOL Ade what are you like mate ;)

Didnt even dawn on me to question what it was from the first pic cos it looked a bit bedraggled and poorly.
Yeah me too for the same reason
Still I said that I am not that good on ID-ing owls and its not a EEO
so there you have it :D

Well done for helping the Owl Fracster, I hope you find his/her owners or a raptor centre helps you out.

BTW, there are some nesting in Britian apparently. And have been since 1997.

There are quite a few non natives "supposed" to be nesting successfully in the
UK and the reports are from reliable sources.
This is one reason that the powers that be are getting a little "twitchy" about allowing hybrid species to be flown as falconry birds
a very long and very political story though

BTW Commiserations on "going orange"

Good work Mr Frac!

BTW, there are some nesting in Britian apparently. And have been since 1997.

There are quite a few non natives "supposed" to be nesting successfully in the
UK and the reports are from reliable sources.
This is one reason that the powers that be are getting a little "twitchy" about allowing hybrid species to be flown as falconry birds
a very long and very political story though

BTW Commiserations on "going orange"

All on my RSPB link ;)

Fracs what a gorgeous owl and on you rescuing it
This is a fascinating story waiting to see what the outcome is

Ade any chance of getting images as you release it please (y)

Edit didnt see the bit about it being captive till I read Cobra's post, I assumed it was a wild LEO

Last edited:
I worked all last night.However,I chopped up a fresh rabbit leg for it,which it has scoffed and it has had water.Very soon I am meeting Nik Henderson who is taking the bird.I`m away for three weeks soon,so it needed sorting asap.The WLO and IBR have not got back in touch,so it is going to Nicks place.........(y)

I would have loved to have kept it,but I don`t have the knowledge,experience,space nor time to do so properly.Hence my decision.

I`ll try and take some pics when I hand the bird over to Nick.

I worked all last night.However,I chopped up a fresh rabbit leg for it,which it has scoffed and it has had water.Very soon I am meeting Nik Henderson who is taking the bird.I`m away for three weeks soon,so it needed sorting asap.The WLO and IBR have not got back in touch,so it is going to Nicks place.........(y)

I would have loved to have kept it,but I don`t have the knowledge,experience,space nor time to do so properly.Hence my decision.

I`ll try and take some pics when I hand the bird over to Nick.

Glad to here that it has settled Ade
If you change your mind I can soon send you up some jesses (y) :D
I am not surprised the WLO hasn't got back to you they aren't really interested
in captive species
I am however somewhat surprised at the IBR!
Having spoken to George at fenland's rescue about this
afew times I am sure that you have made the right choice (y)

I assume Rehabber is George?

Must have a trip out over there soon Chris,you can buy the beer......(y)

I assume Rehabber is George?

Must have a trip out over there soon Chris,you can buy the beer......(y)

Yep that's him
And a (y) for the beer

Edit didnt see the bit about it being captive till I read Cobra's post, I assumed it was a wild LEO

You me and half the forum initially :D

long eared owl is my guess
If you read back through you will find that it has positively been ID'd as
a European Eagle Owl (EEO) (y)

Two owls sat on a fence.

1st Owl. Twit Ta Woo!

2nd Owl Twit Ta What?

1st Owl Same to you you flat faced Bugger!

Nice one Ade (y) great story and a great outcome :clap:

Back