Kitchen owl.

3 year old male european eagle owl,Nick is very,very sure...........(y)

Nice bloke as well, the bird is in good hands .

3 year old male european eagle owl,Nick is very,very sure...........(y)

Nice bloke as well, the bird is in good hands .

Happy ending (y)
which begs the question to which we will never know the answer to,
was it a wild bred or did it have its rings & jesses cut off and released?

Last edited:
Closing shots of him dry,warm,fed and watered.

With his new owner,who was chuffed to bits.

And apologised profusely for doubting me/us.........(y)

LEO9.jpg

LEO8.jpg

Happy ending (y)
which begs the question to which we will never know the answer to,
was it a wild bred or did it have its rings & jesses cut off and released?

No sign of ever having been tethered,no feather damage at all to the legs and no sign of wire marks round the beak like aviary birds.

Guess it was a wild one,they have nested around here recently Chris.

No sign of ever having been tethered,no feather damage at all to the legs and no sign of wire marks round the beak like aviary birds.

Yeah so I believe (y)

Oh and the cere damage only happens in free lofted birds with "unprotected"
wire in the mews.
(ie it shouldn't happen)
Oh well as above A happy ending (y)

It begs the question how it ended up like it did though, if there was no sign of feather damage, and it clearly wasn't ill...why would a 'wild' bird end up almost at deaths door? :thinking:

One of life's little mysteries! :)

I guess the important thing is that there was a good ending, and I have nothing but admiration for what you did, and the commitment you showed :clap:

It begs the question how it ended up like it did though, if there was no sign of feather damage, and it clearly wasn't ill...why would a 'wild' bird end up almost at deaths door? :thinking:

One of life's little mysteries! :)

I guess the important thing is that there was a good ending, and I have nothing but admiration for what you did, and the commitment you showed :clap:

I spoke to Ade just after he picked it up, and as I suspected
There had been a torrential downpour that night.
Once they get wet through they cant get airborne again
they get hypothermia very quickly and can die,
either through that or starvation.
Don't forget that raptors have quite a fast metabolic rate and by
shivering ( to produce heat) they are using up their reserves very quickly.

Ah yes, forgot about the rain :bang: Would that make it very docile though? As it came without a fight!

Ah yes, forgot about the rain :bang: Would that make it very docile though? As it came without a fight!

I am still not totally convinced that it was totally wild,
there are reports of "breeders" in that area,
but there is also a strong possibility that it could have been released
rings and "furniture" removed first.

A large proportion of these are ( in captivity) raised as imprints
which of course would make it extremely docile
having said that I have picked up " a few" totally wild "hawks" over the years
for a couple of rescue / rehabbers
for the very same reason, and yes they generally are quite docile but will
still nail you given the chance

I am still not totally convinced that it was totally wild,
there are reports of "breeders" in that area,
but there is also a strong possibility that it could have been released
rings and "furniture" removed first.

A large proportion of these are ( in captivity) raised as imprints
which of course would make it extremely docile
having said that I have picked up " a few" totally wild "hawks" over the years
for a couple of rescue / rehabbers
for the very same reason, and yes they generally are quite docile but will
still nail you given the chance

Chris, would furniture removal not leave an "imprint" on the bird,especially around the legs?

Not questioning you at all mate,just curious...........:shrug:

Just read through the story. Well done for rescuing it and nice to see everyone on here giving advice and taking such an interest. One very honoured owl.:clap:

Thank You.

I am sure some people misunderstand me and my ideals,I do kill certain animals, granted,but only for the greater good of others.People don`t always understand that,but I could have let this bird die,I did not,why?

Because I adore British Wildlife,this bird may not be native now, but I bet it was some while back.Owls do not kill because they can, they kill too eat,similarly Stoats,a favourite of mine,I adore stoats yet loathe mink,stoats kill to eat and mink kill because they can,there is a huge difference there.

Probably explained my feelings poorly there,but i`m semi pizzed and extremely tired................:LOL:

Chris, would furniture removal not leave an "imprint" on the bird,especially around the legs?

Not questioning you at all mate,just curious...........:shrug:

No worries Ade its a fair question (y)
the idea with BOP's with feathered legs is to get thin anklets on them
so they fit under the feathers or loose - ish over the feathers so as
not to trap or crush them.
I have never fitted anklets to a EEO so I don't know "what I would go for"

The "true" Aylmerii are only a thin strip "all in one" affair that go around the birds legs and lock in place via slits and "nicks"( in the leather :D)
the "false" aylmerii" are what you mostly see today, a set of anklets
"permanently" fitted to the birds legs with an eyelet to put the two different types of jesses through,
the ones with slits for bowing down and the ones with no slits
for flying / hunting

Having said that " light feather damage" would quickly be preened out
or if the bird was released " in the past" its possible that it has had a full moult since.

Fair enough Chris, but it has been a very good two days.

Not many have rescued an EEO,let it crap in thier kitchen and spend the night in the guest bedroom eating fresh rabbit.Then move it onto the next free hostel,been a great couple of days that I shall never forget.

Nick has been a good guy as well.......................(y)

I bet you can now see how easy it is to get hooked on BOP's (y)

Going to the estate agents soon...................(y)

The eyes on that bird were something very special,better than most anyway.............;)

what a wonderful story and end result.

the fourth pic on front page THE EYES great shot, looks so comfortable as if it knew it was going to get the best care it could

well done fracster and everbody who helped

Only just found this as I rarely come in here, fantastic story Ade and well done to everyone involved.

(y)

Well done Ade. Good outcome.

I've got a friend with a EEO and he says the males are generally a lot more placid than the females so you got lucky there!

Well done Ade. Good outcome.

I've got a friend with a EEO and he says the males are generally a lot more placid than the females so you got lucky there!

The males in my house are a lot more placid than the females, and I'm not talking owls..........

Thanks all, the bird is in isolation at the centre for a few weeks, to make sure it has no disease to spread about.I will inform you all of any progress........(y)

Or even lack of it..........:thumbsdown:

Hi Ade,

I don't know any details yet but I have just been told that it was on our local radio station that a female 1 year old EEO has escaped from a bird sanctuary in Nantwich, Cheshire, any chance its the same one? I'll find out some more details and post again later.

Andy

It may be called Sue but its a male (Boy named Sue?)

Great story, good to hear it's aok now & great efforts, i havn't read the whole thread but i'd say this is a Eur Eagle Owl, it's smaller size may be due to young age & possibly male, definitely not an eared owl, hasn't got 'apple-shaped' face & body way too stocky. Take Care, Dan.

Update.............(y)

eeo2.jpg

Stunning shot and what a beautiful bird. You'd hardly believe it was the same one as seen at the start.

Andy

Ditto everyones comments - amazing thread! Well done for the rescue, and a cracking final shot you've added! (y)

Cracking shot Thanks for that (bit different from the poor wee thing at beginning) (y):clap::clap:

Back