L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

Not many of us on here but I’ve put a 50mm f1.8 in the classifieds if anyone interested.

I would prefer something wider :)

Anyone use the 24mm Sigma f3.5 ?

Lucky enough to have just had a week chasing the sun around the Cote d'Azur - started in Cassis which is just lovely ! Arghhh the light !!!

Really enjoyed using the 20-60 - a great focal range for me and probably the sharpest kit lens I've ever used - although I only tend to shoot f8 and above.

Cassis by Justa1972, on Flickr

Went to Mam Tor today, was greyer than a grey card when we got there, so I experimented with black and white using L Monochrome D. We did get some nicer light later on in the day, got lots of photos to process, but here are a couple to start off with. Both with the S5 + 24-105.

P1024602 edited (Custom).jpg

P1024794 edited (Custom).jpg

I've been playing around with my Panasonic cameras recently (FF and M4/3) and have had some really pleasant results. Just wondered if anyone here uses the 4/6k photo modes on them?

I have a tiny little imperial shih Tzu who is about the same size as a size 12 trainer. I've been desperately trying to get good images of her running around and things like that (no issues with her sitting still) but have been finding it really hard with the cameras auto focus. But this 6k photo mode is awesome and has produced some great results (for me).

I stumbled across a video (Lumix USA) on YouTube where a chap won a national pet photography competition using his gh4 and the 4k photo mode (Lumix then contacted him to do some shots for the gh5 release).

Digging around it also appears that these modes (especially with pre record) are used a lot in the wildlife photography space...amazing

Just wondered if anyone had played with these 4/6k videos on the S series cameras?

Lucky enough to have just had a week chasing the sun around the Cote d'Azur - started in Cassis which is just lovely ! Arghhh the light !!!

Really enjoyed using the 20-60 - a great focal range for me and probably the sharpest kit lens I've ever used - although I only tend to shoot f8 and above.

Cassis by Justa1972, on Flickr

Really think this a cracking photograph (imo).

Also read some rumours online about a new S5 mkii?

Wonder what (if anything) Lumix have lined up for release?
Hopefully a few things !

Too be honest I’m not sure what they could do to the S5 to make me want to upgrade - it’s such a great camera especially considering price !

Hopefully a few things !

Too be honest I’m not sure what they could do to the S5 to make me want to upgrade - it’s such a great camera especially considering price !
If they could improve the auto focus to make it easier to capture pictures of my little dog that would be great (and increase the burst rates) but using the 6K photo mode almost renders this unnecessary.

Thanks for that - I‘ve never had a macro lens, just try and make sure that one of my lenses focuses nice and close - with my S5 I find the 20-60 good enough.

As I have the 50mm f1.8 though this is a pretty attractive way of getting closer !
Ye does a good job!

It's been a while since I've posted in here, so here's a couple from Harris and Lewis a few weeks ago...

All S5 and 20-60, and I still love this camera almost a year on since switching, I feel it's the best move I've made in quite some time...

West Loch Tarbert boulder by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Northton by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Sunset over Ceapabhal by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Stac a Phris by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Small Beach by Martin Steele, on Flickr
Fantastic shots there Martin. I've recently picked up a Panasonic S5 plus the 20-60. I'm mostly a landscape type and have been using Olympus m43 for a long time. The S5 adds some extra IQ (but not so much as you might expect at base ISO). However, it's the first FF mirrorless camera I've used that gets close to the features and usability of the Oly gear. I'm definitely going to keep it. I'm finding the 20-60 to be a superb lens - a great range for landscape and optically it's as good as the "Pro" glass I have with my Olympus gear.

Last edited:
BTW - anyone know why most of the images above aren't showing?

EDIT - played around a bit and it seems it's an image size thing.

Last edited:
Looks like it's image size in terms of MB. Sorted now :)

Last edited:
"Autumn Tree at Twilight" is superb
Thank you. In fact, it's a stitch of 10 separate images. I also made the noob mistake of shooting it at ISO 800 (still getting used to the camera and forgot that it remembers things on each mode setting) and then did a lot of exposure adjustment (exposed for highlights) so I'm amazed it's as clean as it is. Here's a quick shot of the images in LR's gallery to give you a feel for the degree of correction needed.

1669733114533.png

I'm extremely impressed with the S5's noise handling.

That last one. Superb @Steelo
Cheers mate!

Fantastic shots there Martin. I've recently picked up a Panasonic S5 plus the 20-60. I'm mostly a landscape type and have been using Olympus m43 for a long time. The S5 adds some extra IQ (but not so much as you might expect at base ISO). However, it's the first FF mirrorless camera I've used that gets close to the features and usability of the Oly gear. I'm definitely going to keep it. I'm finding the 20-60 to be a superb lens - a great range for landscape and optically it's as good as the "Pro" glass I have with my Olympus gear.
It's a fantastic bit of kit, it really is, I switched from being a Sony user for 5 years previous, and while I do miss the Sony 20mm F1.8 G, everything else is far superior in Lumix world :) You've posted some lovely images there Paul!

Hi Paul, nice to see we have ended up with the same camera !!

Hi Paul, nice to see we have ended up with the same camera !!
Ha - well, I guess the S5 is an obvious stepping stone from m43 users. I've tried Sony A7 and Nikon Z, but liked neither. The Sony just had bad ergonomics and wasn't giving me that enthusiasm to take photographs in the way the Olympus does; and the Z felt like a dinosaur in terms of features - like something from the 1990s. By comparison, the S5 is nicely featured and it handles almost as well as the EM1.3.

Here's a shot from yesterday, taken in the fog/gloom we have here at the moment. I shot it using the hi-res mode, but it's downsized here to 1600 and on Flickr to 4000.

Baddesley Clinton by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

At full-res, it's pixel-peeking heaven!

Back