LADY SUE'S 52- Part 2- Together ( a funny one) page 10

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Grace

I went to a local church to try to find a picture for "Grace". I thought I would find something in the pictures on the stained glass windows. I did find something there but then I saw this reflection from one of the windows. It was shining on the wall and floor next to the altar.I think I can see a lady praying in it.So I chose it for this week's theme. The frame round it was provided by the altar rail.I tried to set my tripod up to get a better picture but by then it was gone.I'll go back another sunny day at the same time to see if I can get it better.

Comments and critique appreciated.

Last edited:
A great start to part 2 of your 52 Sue:clap:
I think you have nailed this without the tripod. I see the women praying in your image. I like the composition, the shadow from the altar rail frames the stained glass window colours brilliantly. The diagnols of the lights work well too. All round good job Sue, and well spotted, you've got the eye ;) Iain

A great start to part 2 of your 52 Sue:clap:
I think you have nailed this without the tripod. I see the women praying in your image. I like the composition, the shadow from the altar rail frames the stained glass window colours brilliantly. The diagnols of the lights work well too. All round good job Sue, and well spotted, you've got the eye ;) Iain

Thank you Iain.

:clap: :clap: That is a good shot Sue, i too see a lady in prayer leaning forward, that's an amazing capture, devine intervention maybe?

Thank you Chris. I think "she" is probably there every sunny day. But it would be nice if she was divine intervention.

Sue

Very nicely done Sue, it works well... I think I can see the lady praying, but I'm feeling very lacking in imagination at the moment... so it's a bit of a struggle... As for the lady showing every sunny day, I wouldn't bet on that... the sun appears to change position in the sky as the year turns on... in fact, there's no guarantee the sun will appear at the same spot to produce that particular show at the same time next year...

Very nicely done Sue, it works well... I think I can see the lady praying, but I'm feeling very lacking in imagination at the moment... so it's a bit of a struggle... As for the lady showing every sunny day, I wouldn't bet on that... the sun appears to change position in the sky as the year turns on... in fact, there's no guarantee the sun will appear at the same spot to produce that particular show at the same time next year...

Maybe she was there just for me and another lady that was doing the flowers who saw her. We havent had sunshine since then but from what you said I probably wouldnt see her again.

Thanks
Sue

I can definitely see a lady praying there . . . (although I have had a glass of wine tonight, so that may be helping my imagination along a bit ;) )

Beautiful colours, well seen and well captured. If the light does ever appear like this again, I think it would make a brilliant shot with just a bit more of the altar rail in frame.

Works well just as it is though and it's definitely one that I would keep given that this could be a once in a lifetime chance with the sun hitting it just that way.

I can definitely see a lady praying there . . . (although I have had a glass of wine tonight, so that may be helping my imagination along a bit ;) )

Beautiful colours, well seen and well captured. If the light does ever appear like this again, I think it would make a brilliant shot with just a bit more of the altar rail in frame.

Works well just as it is though and it's definitely one that I would keep given that this could be a once in a lifetime chance with the sun hitting it just that way.

Thanks Sarah
I dont think I could have got more of the altar rail in and got the whole of the reflection. I had to get right down on the floor to get the reflection through the altar rail. I did get some other shots, without the rail but none of them showed the lady as she is in this shot.Here is a shot showing where the reflection was.It is not a good shot technically- its just for illustration
Sue

Very pleasing colours and composition. It works very well for the theme even though I can't see the lady - well spotted.

Endings

After a couple of serious weeks I decided I wanted something funny for this weeks theme so I have chosen this silly picture of sheep's endings.

However I did see another , more photogenic scene at Whitby which has the graves which are endings, also the end of the land where it meets the sea and the end of a church on the left.

Comments and critique appreciated

Thanks
Sue

Definately #1 for endings Sue, a fun image that I can safely say is unique for this weeks theme. I have seen a few graveyard images (myself included) for this theme, so your sheep's endings certainly win the being different prize.(y) Well spotted and captured, made me laugh Iain

Sheep's arses gets my (y) too ;) Well spotted and framed.

Definately #1 for endings Sue, a fun image that I can safely say is unique for this weeks theme. I have seen a few graveyard images (myself included) for this theme, so your sheep's endings certainly win the being different prize.(y) Well spotted and captured, made me laugh Iain

Thanks Iain I'm glad it made you laugh. They were in the field next to our cottage on a farm in Yorkshire last week

Sheep's arses gets my (y) too ;) Well spotted and framed.

Thanks Darren.The farmer put some food in their little shelter and they all piled in to eat. When I saw them I thought "endings" and went and grabbed the camera quick.

Sue

Definitely sheep's endings for me too.
Firstly because it made me laugh - and secondly because it's actually very nicely composed and you've done a good job of exposing for the sheep in the dark shelter while keeping from blowing the whites where the sun is hitting their back legs.

I'd love to see this in B&W to minimise the impact of the blue gate.

I see what you mean about the angle of the altar rail in the other one too. It's a shame because that's a beautiful piece of carving and it would have really given some context to the whole thing.
Maybe on another day if the sun's at a slightly different angle.

Your Sheep's endings just made me chuckle Sue so for that reason its a winner. I was at Whitby a couple of weeks ago and saw this graveyard. Did you get any good ones of the Abbey? The skies were pretty miserable when i was there so i didn't really bother

Definitely sheep's endings for me too.
Firstly because it made me laugh - and secondly because it's actually very nicely composed and you've done a good job of exposing for the sheep in the dark shelter while keeping from blowing the whites where the sun is hitting their back legs.

I'd love to see this in B&W to minimise the impact of the blue gate.

I see what you mean about the angle of the altar rail in the other one too. It's a shame because that's a beautiful piece of carving and it would have really given some context to the whole thing.
Maybe on another day if the sun's at a slightly different angle.

Thanks Sarah
I have to admit that I didnt do anything special in the way of exposing for the sheep. I took the picture quickly having had to dash in and get the camera before they ate all their food. It was probably more luck than judgement. I did line it up carefully and did a bit of PP to clean up their bottoms:LOL: I'll have a go at a black and white edit.

I'll be keeping an eye on reflections in the church and maybe go back at a similar time next year.

Your Sheep's endings just made me chuckle Sue so for that reason its a winner. I was at Whitby a couple of weeks ago and saw this graveyard. Did you get any good ones of the Abbey? The skies were pretty miserable when i was there so i didn't really bother

I didnt get any good pics of the Abbey. I had my cousin and her little girl with me so I just took a few snaps for them from a distance but you have to pay to go into the Abbey grounds and for 3 of us it was a bit expensive. I think one of the photos I took of the Abbey would have looked better with a gradient filter but I dont have one yet- its one of the things on my wants list.

I'm glad my sheep made you laugh. That was my intention this week as I have had some serious shots lately. I had been taking pictures of dogs tails thinking I would put them all in a row but then I saw these sheep.

Sue

Endings: The first one is definitely the winner - very funny and well-spotted. I love the b&w version, too. :D It looks a though you were having stormy weather in the Whitby shot - and the sky suits the graveyard scenario. A very appropriate theme for Endings.

Electric: I like this - the colours in the sky work really well and I like the way one 'sail' (?) is pointing into the small patch of blue. It looks quite bleak and exposed to the elements - so I suppose it's a good place to have the wind turbine. (y)

Jean

Transform

I knew what I wanted to get when I saw this weeks theme so today I went to a farm with a butterfly house. It was really hot in there but I got a few pictures and came home and made this tryptich. Comments and critique appreciated.

Thanks
Sue

Hi Sue, I seem to have missed a few of yours. I just love your sheep's bottoms :D Excellent and novel idea. I actually prefer the colour version.

That's a very appropriate shot for Electric. I really like the threatening sky and also the shadow which does not stand out very much. I would have been tempted to tweak the levels a bit to increase the contrast.

I really like the triptych, too. It is very colourful and fits the theme perfectly. I think I may have preferred to see a bit more of the chrysalises (is that what they are called?)

Jenny

Hi Sue.

Nice triptych. I was at London Zoo a few weeks ago and didn't shoot any of the pupae in the butterfly house.

Three nice images Sue, but it's crying out for a caterpillar on the left :)

Love the colours for "Transform" but as above it would have been brilliant if the left shot was a caterpillar

Hi Sue, I seem to have missed a few of yours. I just love your sheep's bottoms :D Excellent and novel idea. I actually prefer the colour version.

That's a very appropriate shot for Electric. I really like the threatening sky and also the shadow which does not stand out very much. I would have been tempted to tweak the levels a bit to increase the contrast.

I must admit I am not that happy with that image but didnt get round to doing anything better that week.

I really like the triptych, too. It is very colourful and fits the theme perfectly. I think I may have preferred to see a bit more of the chrysalises (is that what they are called?)

Thanks The chrysalises were very hard to photograph as their box was almost fully enclosed. I had to poke my camera in a little gap to get the photos. This was the best I could manage.

Jenny

Hi Sue.

Nice triptych. I was at London Zoo a few weeks ago and didn't shoot any of the pupae in the butterfly house.

Thank you.

Three nice images Sue, but it's crying out for a caterpillar on the left :)

I agree. There wernt any at the butterfly place but I'm sure I could find one on the local allotments- maybe I will take a look if the weather improves.

Love the colours for "Transform" but as above it would have been brilliant if the left shot was a caterpillar

Thank you and yes I agree.

Endings, a good choice, well done Sue, a good funny one.

Electric, I really rather like that. The low colour levels really suit.

Transform, fits perfectly, I had that as one of the options I had to discard. nicely done.

Endings, a good choice, well done Sue, a good funny one.

Electric, I really rather like that. The low colour levels really suit.

Transform, fits perfectly, I had that as one of the options I had to discard. nicely done.

Thank you John. I had a bit of a drive to get those chrysalises. I should have got a caterpillar as well though.

Nice compositionfor the electric shot Sue, shame it isnt too sharp but nice.

Really liking the triptych on the butterflys, nice bright colours. All of them cropped a little too tight for me but understand there might have been a lot of clutter eitherside that may have made the image a little too busy.

Well done.

Lovely vibrant colours in your tryptych Sue. I guess you chose the composition to balance the image with the chrysallis in the middle? It works as is Sue, maybe with a wee caterpillar would have topped it off but good job all the same, I like it. Iain

Catching up here...

Endings: I love the B/W version of the sheep's bums - made me laugh and fits the theme perfectly.

Electric: good colours and I like the apparent glow behind the blade.

Transform: a good combination of images that fits the theme. How about a caterpillar crawling along the top of the triptych? :LOL:

Nice compositionfor the electric shot Sue, shame it isnt too sharp but nice.

Really liking the triptych on the butterflys, nice bright colours. All of them cropped a little too tight for me but understand there might have been a lot of clutter eitherside that may have made the image a little too busy.

Well done.

Thank you. It was trying to get the three images the same size and matching that was the restriction.

Lovely vibrant colours in your tryptych Sue. I guess you chose the composition to balance the image with the chrysallis in the middle? It works as is Sue, maybe with a wee caterpillar would have topped it off but good job all the same, I like it. Iain

One day I'll find one and add him. :LOL:

Catching up here...

Endings: I love the B/W version of the sheep's bums - made me laugh and fits the theme perfectly.

Electric: good colours and I like the apparent glow behind the blade.

Transform: a good combination of images that fits the theme. How about a caterpillar crawling along the top of the triptych? :LOL:

Thank you. I will find a caterpillar.:)

great tryptch Sue, bang on theme too. As Darren says its a pity you dont have a caterpillar on the left but the image works well with these three. I particularly like the fist of the three.

Thanks. Another one for the caterpillar- no pressure then.:LOL:

Very clever interpretation Sue and not one that I would have ever thought of (y)

I like the subdued colours and the orange shopping bag really draws attention to the lady on the escalator.
It looks a bit wonky to me though (lining up against the edge of the ceiling tiles.)
Clearly it's not posed and it couldn't have been, but it would also have been great if you could have caught a single person on the escalator - looks a little odd with the lady in front sprouting out of the first lady's head.

I've missed the previous two weeks too sorry.
Transform triptych (y)
I like this one a lot. Shame you couldn't get a caterpillar, but the colours in the shots that you've got are beautiful.

But my favourite is electric.
In fact, this is one of my favourites from your 52. I don't know why you said it wasn't the best of shots.
It's got a lovely moody feel to it, nice texture in the foreground and that sky is just beautiful.

Back