LADY SUE'S 52- Part 2- Together ( a funny one) page 10

I like the contrast between the different train technologies. Steam trains seem more pleasing to the eye!

Hi Sue,

Your shot in York is very atmospheric. Maybe I would have preferred more lights reflected in the wet street, but good take on the theme.

Catching 2 completely different types of train makes a rather interesting photo. Plenty going on and colourful. I like it (y)

Jenny

York is a great place to grab some quaint street shot isn't it. I like this and would love to see it as a mono too as i think it would suit it. I like Phils suggestion of photoshopping a cloud in but im not sure how you do it.

Trains is a nice shot too, did you get a closer one of the driver leaning out of the big yellow one?

I like the contrast between the different train technologies. Steam trains seem more pleasing to the eye!

Thank you. I was just ucky that they came into the station at the right time.

Hi Sue,

Your shot in York is very atmospheric. Maybe I would have preferred more lights reflected in the wet street, but good take on the theme.

Catching 2 completely different types of train makes a rather interesting photo. Plenty going on and colourful. I like it (y)

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. There wasnt too much light reflecting as it wasnt really dark, just very dull.

York is a great place to grab some quaint street shot isn't it. I like this and would love to see it as a mono too as i think it would suit it. I like Phils suggestion of photoshopping a cloud in but im not sure how you do it.

Trains is a nice shot too, did you get a closer one of the driver leaning out of the big yellow one?

Thanks Chris. I will have a go at photoshopping a cloud in sometime but I am very busy at the moment and just glad to get a picture in for this week.Now for "share".

Urban is lovely - it feels a bit like a Christmas card. The figures well placed (did you tell them where to stand? :D) and the colours are harmonious. Personally I am not too bothered about the sky, and the noise is barely visible on my CRT monitor.

Train: great contrast of colours and styles. Makes me think of some of those Thomas the Tank Engine illustrations. Did you know that they were both going to be there or were you just amazingly lucky?

(y)

Urban is lovely - it feels a bit like a Christmas card. The figures well placed (did you tell them where to stand? :D) and the colours are harmonious. Personally I am not too bothered about the sky, and the noise is barely visible on my CRT monitor.

Train: great contrast of colours and styles. Makes me think of some of those Thomas the Tank Engine illustrations. Did you know that they were both going to be there or were you just amazingly lucky?

(y)

Thanks for the comments. I knew there was likely to be a steam train around about then but wasnt expecting the diesel as well so I was lucky.

Sue, love the york scene, I could picture... you know what I mean, the sounds and feel of the place from it.

The train shot is very nice, the skies were a pain for you, but the trains have come out great. Nice contrast between the old and the less old.

Sue, love the york scene, I could picture... you know what I mean, the sounds and feel of the place from it.

The train shot is very nice, the skies were a pain for you, but the trains have come out great. Nice contrast between the old and the less old.

Thanks John. Yes York felt very pre-Christmassy and I ended up buying a nativity set from the shop by the minster. I did have trouble with skies and raindrops on the lens for much of my holiday up there but there were a couple of nice sunny days.

Sounds just like Yorkshire when I went up there on Holiday... :D

Hi Sue. I've just been catching up on this thread and I have to say that your photography has come on in leaps and bounds since we last messaged each other here in TP (I remember your advice regarding skyscape photography)!
There are some great photos in here, the "homesick" one is just so spot on, and I'm not even into people photography!

Keep up the good work!

Urban: Lovely shot Sue. The 'warmth' of the shop lights on the wet pavement make this a great shot.

Train(s): Another nice shot Sue, does it need just a tiny straighten though?

Sounds just like Yorkshire when I went up there on Holiday... :D

Yes I think its what you can expect in November

Hi Sue. I've just been catching up on this thread and I have to say that your photography has come on in leaps and bounds since we last messaged each other here in TP (I remember your advice regarding skyscape photography)!
There are some great photos in here, the "homesick" one is just so spot on, and I'm not even into people photography!

Keep up the good work!

Thank you Ian. Thats a real compliment coming from you. I cant believe I could ever have given you advice about skyscapes. I'm sure it was the other way round.

Urban: Lovely shot Sue. The 'warmth' of the shop lights on the wet pavement make this a great shot.

Train(s): Another nice shot Sue, does it need just a tiny straighten though?

Thanks Paul. Your comments are appreciated. I will look at the straightening.

URBAN: nice image, you captured the feel of the day - everyone in their own worlds ;)
only crit (and not your fault at all) is the banner - ye olde starre inne, kind of cuts the image in half :(

TRAIN: great contrast in the two train here, not sure if the horizon is out or just the banking of the station?! - The smoke from the other train really adds a nice feel to the shot - did you consider B&W?

I like the urban photo Sue.
Nice light and the buildings look quaint.

URBAN: nice image, you captured the feel of the day - everyone in their own worlds ;)
only crit (and not your fault at all) is the banner - ye olde starre inne, kind of cuts the image in half :(

TRAIN: great contrast in the two train here, not sure if the horizon is out or just the banking of the station?! - The smoke from the other train really adds a nice feel to the shot - did you consider B&W?

Thank you Dade. It is difficult to tell if the shot needs straightening but I thibk its just the way the station is.

I like the urban photo Sue.
Nice light and the buildings look quaint.

Thanks Simon

A lovely candid photograph Sue. Lots of detail in there that keeps the viewers attention looking around the image. It makes me wonder what the lady on the far end of the bench is thinking too. I like the feel of the image, the slightly desaturated look to it works for me. On theme on a few levels, well done. Iain

Fits the theme twice over, well caught. Your pigeons move much slower than the ducks I tried to take!

A lovely candid photograph Sue. Lots of detail in there that keeps the viewers attention looking around the image. It makes me wonder what the lady on the far end of the bench is thinking too. I like the feel of the image, the slightly desaturated look to it works for me. On theme on a few levels, well done. Iain

Thanks Ian. I liked the lady on the end of the bench. She looks quite a character.

Fits the theme twice over, well caught. Your pigeons move much slower than the ducks I tried to take!

Thank you. Yes the pigeons were nice and slow. The only difficult thing in Cambridge is getting a picture before someone walks in front of you.

Another great spot Sue.
I think you've really found your niche with these candids.

The composition is absolutely spot on. I really like the way that you've used all of the frame to fit everything in, and there's a strong diagonal element to it. My only criticism is that I would have liked the girl in the middle's face to be sharper - not sure if it's slightly missed focus or if there's a bit of motion blur there.

Another great spot Sue.
I think you've really found your niche with these candids.

The composition is absolutely spot on. I really like the way that you've used all of the frame to fit everything in, and there's a strong diagonal element to it. My only criticism is that I would have liked the girl in the middle's face to be sharper - not sure if it's slightly missed focus or if there's a bit of motion blur there.

Thank you Sarah. Its probably a bit of motion blur on my part. My hands are quite shaky at the best of times.A lot of my shots, about 50%, are too soft, especially my candids.

I like the image. As others have mentioned the composition is strong and interesting.

As for softness, I think the focus point is incorrect rather than camera shake. Ideally I'd go for over 1/250s to avoid subject movement, but here it is the rear wall that is the sharpest point as opposed to softness throughout.

Phil

I like the image. As others have mentioned the composition is strong and interesting.

As for softness, I think the focus point is incorrect rather than camera shake. Ideally I'd go for over 1/250s to avoid subject movement, but here it is the rear wall that is the sharpest point as opposed to softness throughout.

Phil

Thank you Phil.You are probably right as I do tend to just point towards the group of people rather than focusing on one face which would be better.There are so many things I need to think of, with my aging brain:), before taking a candid photo and you do have to be very quick particularly in a busy place like Cambridge where people walk in front of you every second or so.

Excellent choice for the theme and a good candid, excellent framing Sue. I think Phil has nailed the soft look to it, but I did think it was a little motion blur on the people.

Excellent choice for the theme and a good candid, excellent framing Sue. I think Phil has nailed the soft look to it, but I did think it was a little motion blur on the people.

Thanks John. I think you are right about motion blur on the lady as she was throwing bread to the pigeons and I was trying to get her in the act so I could demonstrate "share".

Faith

I havent put as much effort in this week to find a good picture for faith as my body has been playing up. However I went out early in the week on a cold frosty morning, saw this group as I was driving around and immediately thought "faithful friends". Although its not great technically I liked the breath coming out of the dogs mouths and loved the way the labrador is looking up at his master. I asked the man if I could take the photo and , although a little embarrassed I think, he said that was OK.

Comments and critique welcomed.

Well done you Sue on getting out and finding a photograph for this weeks theme, especially so if you haven't felt quite up to it.
This image is certainly on theme, with the gent surrounded by his faithful friends. I like the side lighting on this, the early sun gives the photograph a lovely warm feel, even though it is obviously a bit chilly seeing the breath of the dog in the air. I like it, and I am sure the fella would like it too. Iain

Well done you Sue on getting out and finding a photograph for this weeks theme, especially so if you haven't felt quite up to it.
This image is certainly on theme, with the gent surrounded by his faithful friends. I like the side lighting on this, the early sun gives the photograph a lovely warm feel, even though it is obviously a bit chilly seeing the breath of the dog in the air. I like it, and I am sure the fella would like it too. Iain

Thank you Iain. If I knew who the man was I would gladly give him a copy.

Love the lighting.

Thank you.It was about the only day we have had sun this week.

I like this Sue, it shows a good alternative of the word faith. As i was scrolling down i settled on the shot without the man's face just above his waist, i think this looks good too as it puts more focus on the dog looking up and therefore highlights the faith bit more, maybe a crop in this way would look good. Its a bit noisy but forgiven probably to get a decent shutter speed with dogs. Lovely lighting at this time in the morning.

I hope you're feeling better Sue :hugs:

And even unwell, you've done it again! Week after week you come up with some great takes on the theme - this is another interpretation that I would never have thought of.
Subject matter aside, there's a lot to like within the image too. The frost on the grass and the breath and the cold morning air give a great atmosphere and I love the quality of the early morning sun that you've caught.
Another really well spotted shot.

Technically it's not quite there for me, but that's not stopping me from liking it.

IMO the most important aspect of photography is light & I love the lighting on the dogs in this photo.

I actually think there's a cracking shot to be had by cropping hard around the two dogs on the right hand side. The noise may limit the final quality, but the lighting makes it worth ago.

As a whole shot - it is an interesting take on the theme and a pleasant portrait although compositionally not helped by the wall and poster in the background.

Phil

I like this Sue, it shows a good alternative of the word faith. As i was scrolling down i settled on the shot without the man's face just above his waist, i think this looks good too as it puts more focus on the dog looking up and therefore highlights the faith bit more, maybe a crop in this way would look good. Its a bit noisy but forgiven probably to get a decent shutter speed with dogs. Lovely lighting at this time in the morning.

The noise was a real slip up of mine. I forgot I had it on 800 iso from the night before. Still it did mean I got a few good shots that I wouldnt have got otherwise. Will post them sometime.

I hope you're feeling better Sue :hugs:

And even unwell, you've done it again! Week after week you come up with some great takes on the theme - this is another interpretation that I would never have thought of.
Subject matter aside, there's a lot to like within the image too. The frost on the grass and the breath and the cold morning air give a great atmosphere and I love the quality of the early morning sun that you've caught.
Another really well spotted shot.

Technically it's not quite there for me, but that's not stopping me from liking it.

Thanks Sarah. I'm not too good but resting up a bit to try to improve things.I'm glad you like the pic. I like it too.I know its not good technically especially the noise.

IMO the most important aspect of photography is light & I love the lighting on the dogs in this photo.

I actually think there's a cracking shot to be had by cropping hard around the two dogs on the right hand side. The noise may limit the final quality, but the lighting makes it worth ago.

As a whole shot - it is an interesting take on the theme and a pleasant portrait although compositionally not helped by the wall and poster in the background.

Phil

Thanks Phil. It was quite a hurried shot out of my car window ( wound down). I see what you mean about the crop but I wouldnt want to lose the dog on the left and the light on him.There are a few crops I think- Chris has suggested another. I agree the poster isnt great. I desaturated it a bit but should have done more.Thanks for the comments

Share: this works on so many levels. I love the different expressions and poses, and the way that although they are sharing a bench they also seem to be studiously ignoring each other. The composition is excellent - a shame you have missed the focus slightly but it is not enough to worry me.

Faith: I love this - a really appealing image with gorgeous lighting. (y) Good for you for going out when you are not well - hope you are feeling better soon.

Share: this works on so many levels. I love the different expressions and poses, and the way that although they are sharing a bench they also seem to be studiously ignoring each other. The composition is excellent - a shame you have missed the focus slightly but it is not enough to worry me.

Thank you. I am working on my focusing but it is difficult when taking candids. I thought they were an interesting group too.

Faith: I love this - a really appealing image with gorgeous lighting. (y) Good for you for going out when you are not well - hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks again. It was a good morning for togging even though it was cold and early!

A creative and well executed take on this weeks theme Sue. This would work well as a greeting card. It is nicely framed too. (y) from me. Iain

I like this, Sue. The off-centre composition works well & would perhaps be even stronger without the text.

The distortion works really well - I wonder if I'd have prefered the the leaf on the far left to be less chunky? Not sure - but would be being picky on a strong shot anyway!

Phil

A creative and well executed take on this weeks theme Sue. This would work well as a greeting card. It is nicely framed too. (y) from me. Iain

Thanks Ian.

love the colours and the shape, for some reason it reminds me of a box of chocolates.

Thank you.

I like this, Sue. The off-centre composition works well & would perhaps be even stronger without the text.

The distortion works really well - I wonder if I'd have prefered the the leaf on the far left to be less chunky? Not sure - but would be being picky on a strong shot anyway!

Phil

Thanks Phil. I just put the text in to fill the space a bit but I agree it would work without it.

Back