Lake District WEEKEND Meet - RESPONSES NEEDED

Which weekend would you prefer

• Weekend commencing Friday 2nd October

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Weekend commencing Friday 9th October

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm still a maybe unfortunately. Should be able to let you know either way by the end of next week when I'm back in the office and have had a chance to harass the management properly.

OK, the CMS has found this
http://exclusive-hire.yha.org.uk/properties/england/yha-hawse-end

Even if there are only 10 of us it works out at just over £22 per night per person and it sleeps 24 so no probs with taking more along. It is situated here.
http://independenthostels.co.uk/members/hawseendcentre/location/

The pub is less than a mile away and the ferry to Keswick is just a few hundred yards. Catbells is straight out of the door for the more adventurous or there are lovely, wooded lakeside walks for those who want to take it easy. Just a suggestion and I'm sure there are plenty of other places but its definitely worth thinking about.

Last edited:
OK, the CMS has found this
http://exclusive-hire.yha.org.uk/properties/england/yha-hawse-end

Even if there are only 10 of us it works out at just over £22 per night per person and it sleeps 24 so no probs with taking more along. It is situated here.
http://independenthostels.co.uk/members/hawseendcentre/location/

The pub is less than a mile away and the ferry to Keswick is just a few hundred yards. Catbells is straight out of the door for the more adventurous or there are lovely, wooded lakeside walks for those who want to take it easy. Just a suggestion and I'm sure there are plenty of other places but its definitely worth thinking about.

I was worried that it might be a bit remote from essential facilities, but your last para is reassuring. Of course, it's also a mile back from the essential facility, which might be more of an issue... :)

I think it sounds a pretty good location, easy to get to. The walk round the lake is great and Catbells is not hard and has nice views from the top.

E2A: not sure how the accommodation is arranged, ie dorms versus rooms? Thinking in terms of the non-tog missus, do I ask her or not?

Last edited:
Only thing I'd say is that it might be difficult to get to sans car.

It is a bit tricky, but I'm sure we can arrange pick ups from Penrith/Kendal if you are coming by train. (y)

It is just a preliminary suggestion, the fragrant Mrs Snap is looking into other options as well which I shall post as and when.

It is a bit tricky, but I'm sure we can arrange pick ups from Penrith/Kendal if you are coming by train. (y)

It is just a preliminary suggestion, the fragrant Mrs Snap is looking into other options as well which I shall post as and when.

Thats fine, just thought it worth mentioning. I doubt you'll get any where good/good value near the railway though at least there is a semblance of a bus service so might be okay, if a little nerve racking!

thats a youth hostel? Dont want to point out the elephant in the room, but wouldnt you lot in a youth hostel be breaking some sort of trade description act? :cautious:

A quick plug for my fave B&B there, the Westview guest house is right on the north corner of derwent water. Great landlady and awesome fry ups for brekky. She's put up with me and all my mud and camera gear for years so will be used to the idea of more of it.

^^^ Cheeky.

TBH the past few times we have stopped at hostels we were about the average age... and I'm in me 50's.

I think the last time I was in a youth hostel and there were any youths staying it was me and my mates, 15 years ago!

Last edited:
That hostel looks pretty good actually, as most in the Lakes are

E2A: not sure how the accommodation is arranged, ie dorms versus rooms? Thinking in terms of the non-tog missus, do I ask her or not?

There's 4 rooms with 4 beds, 1 with 6, and 1 with 2. All bunk beds by the look of it, with bed linen provided

E2A I'm well up for this as well, it's an age since I've been to the Lakes

Last edited:
OK folky dokes, the date for this trip will be the weekend beginning 9th October. I shall put up a few more alternative locations later for your perusal.
After a bit of a discussion at the mega-meet it was decided that when we know the location anyone who wants to attend will pay a non-returnable deposit to secure a place, just to try and discourage people from dropping out and bumping the price up for those who do go.
More to follow later today or in the morning.

Andy

Me too.

Deposit is fine by me and t'missus has said that she'll be up for a trip to the lakes too :)

If we end up in a youth hostel, do we all have to be YHA members?

Deposit's fine by me too. You don't need to be a member usually Dean, but it's usually cheaper. On the example hostel above I think it's 10% cheaper, no sure if it's just one member required though to get the discount? My membership just renewed, its the best few pounds I spend a year as I more than make it back

It only needs a member to book it to get the discount and we are both members so... happy days.

It only needs a member to book it to get the discount and we are both members so... happy days.
I'm a member and so's my wife.

I've added a list of possibles and probables to the first post. Please let me know if you want adding to or subtracting from either list.

@Andysnap

Is this simply a one night stop over in the Lakes ( ie Saturday) or is it a long weekend ?

I'm looking at flights to Liverpool which are very limited tbh but if something can be arranged then I'll try tag along.

Depends very much on getting from L'pool to the digs and back etc etc

@Andysnap

Is this simply a one night stop over in the Lakes ( ie Saturday) or is it a long weekend ?

I'm looking at flights to Liverpool which are very limited tbh but if something can be arranged then I'll try tag along.

You could always fly to luton and collected by a passing car that is going that way anyway and has to almost drive by the door of the airport ;)

@Andysnap

If we go with the Youth Hostel we will have to book it for 3 nights, so you can stop 1, 2 or 3 as you chose but I think it only fair that we all pay the same per person so staying all 3 is much more cost effective. (y)

You could always fly to luton and collected by a passing car that is going that way anyway and has to almost drive by the door of the airport ;)

Tbh Yv Luton or Gatwick will probably work better as the flight to / from L'Pool appear to be very sparce, somedays there are no flights at all :confused:

So what days do i need to be looking for if flying to London as I could stay in the Lakes for any combination of nights but naturally I'll work around whoever is able and kind enough to offer transport

Tbh Yv Luton or Gatwick will probably work better as the flight to / from L'Pool appear to be very sparce, somedays there are no flights at all :confused:

So what days do i need to be looking for if flying to London as I could stay in the Lakes for any combination of nights but naturally I'll work around whoever is able and kind enough to offer transport

well my plan would be to do all three nights in the Lakes, so just really need Andy to confirm he is thinking Fri/Sat/Sun night or some other combination.

well my plan would be to do all three nights in the Lakes, so just really need Andy to confirm he is thinking Fri/Sat/Sun night or some other combination.

Yep, Friday to sunday would be best I think.

Just taking a quick look at direct flights to London, either Gatwick or Luton atm will work out similar prices.
I'm tipping that Luton is easier/ less busy to get to by road and of course is heading in the right direction ( North!) towards Cumbria so I'd be quite happy see what I can do about getting there say on the thursday (stopping over at or near the airport ) and leaving late monday or tuesday although I could be tempted to stretch thursday to thursday with a view to spending a couple of days sightseeing "Big Ben" etc:p
This is all dependant on flight times, transport, accomodation and of course cost.

3 nights would be perfect and I was saying as much to the other half when we were discussing the trip yesterday :)

Just taking a quick look at direct flights to London, either Gatwick or Luton atm will work out similar prices.
I'm tipping that Luton is easier/ less busy to get to by road and of course is heading in the right direction ( North!) towards Cumbria so I'd be quite happy see what I can do about getting there say on the thursday (stopping over at or near the airport ) and leaving late monday or tuesday although I could be tempted to stretch thursday to thursday with a view to spending a couple of days sightseeing "Big Ben" etc:p
This is all dependant on flight times, transport, accomodation and of course cost.

LUTON!! Well, from my point of view anyway :LOL: Even if there is a slim chance we will have moved by then, it will still be enroute, unlike Gatwick which is totally the other way. :LOL:

LUTON!! Well, from my point of view anyway :LOL: Even if there is a slim chance we will have moved by then, it will still be enroute, unlike Gatwick which is totally the other way. :LOL:

GATWICK it will be then! :D:D:D

Leave it with me and i'll see if It's all going to be feasable although it's gunna take me a day or several to figure it all out.....I need a manager (or a woman :p) to take it off my hands!:D

@ Andysnap What's the deadline for confirming a yes /no regarding reserving the digs?

@simon ess
[USER=2228]@Yv

@RaglanSurf
@Strappy
@Woodsy
@ChrisR
@raathistle
@stevelmx5
@robhooley167
@steveo_mcg
@Asha
@happygolucky
@Carl Hall l

A quick update. If we book the Youth Hostel (and I think this is our best option as it is the most versatile, in a good location and cheap) it will be £667.50 for 3 nights and we should get £30 off for being members. Given the room layout, couples should get a private room and so long as some of the lads don't mind bunking in the same room it should work out ok, we could even accommodate a few late comers.
The CMS is poised to click the book button..... should she do it.?[/USER]

@simon ess
[USER=2228]@Yv

@RaglanSurf
@Strappy
@Woodsy
@ChrisR
@raathistle
@stevelmx5
@robhooley167
@steveo_mcg
@Asha
@happygolucky
@Carl Hall l

A quick update. If we book the Youth Hostel (and I think this is our best option as it is the most versatile, in a good location and cheap) it will be £667.50 for 3 nights and we should get £30 off for being members. Given the room layout, couples should get a private room and so long as some of the lads don't mind bunking in the same room it should work out ok, we could even accommodate a few late comers.
The CMS is poised to click the book button..... should she do it.?[/USER]

YES for me matey!

Go on then

Back