Landscape photography iq. Chap called Tom Mackie, he comes across well and no b******t.

One of my favourite YouTube Vloggers and amazing astro photographer Alwyn Wallace has a programme on bbc Iplayer called Moonshot.

I can see him becoming a big name in the photo world pretty soon.

I'm a big fan of Thomas Heaton and James Popsy - watch a lot of their videos. Henry Turner is also another good guy I watch.

We sat & watched 3 vlogs last night.

Is it just us thinking it, or do they not seem to go hiking & take photos so much anymore & instead just sit in their studio/office chatting? Yes, I appreciate trying to get two vlogs a week out (for those that do) is a lot of time consuming work, but I just think it was better when they were an account of the vloggers day out rather that sat chatting about 5 top tips!!

One of my favourite YouTube Vloggers and amazing astro photographer Alwyn Wallace has a programme on bbc Iplayer called Moonshot.

I can see him becoming a big name in the photo world pretty soon.
I do enjoy Alyn Wallace as an avid Astro / night photographer myself, particularly impressed given that he lives in Wales. Some lovely shots from above the clouds on Snowdon, something I would love to try one day.

I'm a big fan of Thomas Heaton and James Popsy - watch a lot of their videos. Henry Turner is also another good guy I watch.

I really want to like James, but his videos seem to be more about the distracting noises around him while recording and I end up loosing interest in what he's saying, it's a shame as I think he has a lot of potential.

Here's a couple that I've been watching a lot recently.

Paul Compton (PD Photography) who vlogs with his lovely wife, Denise from all over UK.

Kim Grant, a young girl from NE Scotland.
She shows how beautiful and diverse the east is and has just as much to offer than the more favoured west coast.
Her enthusiasm makes her a "must watch" for me.

Re: Photography, Steven Hanna, Steven Dempsey to name a few more

The "5 top tips" videos are a little repetitive and annoying but if you see that in the title, you don't have to watch it.
I get that sometimes the conditions aren't good enough to go out and film an outdoor shoot, and doing an office based video can be worthwhile. Some of Thomas Heaton's videos where he talks about (and shows) his choices in editing are quite interesting.

Why do people complain about a well produced video? A video or film has to follow some sort of narrative/story from point A to B to C. Connecting the dots with walking/climbing/driving, talking to camera, "b-roll" makes it interesting.
There are plenty of vloggers whose video production isn't as highly polished as others. Thomas Heaton has a background in video production, so he brings his skills to his vlogs and why shouldn't he. If they have the skills or put in the effort to learn them, that's great.
As I work in broadcasting I totally appreciate the effort and craft that many youtubers put into these videos.
Most vlogs are 10-15minutes because this is as long as most people's attention span. I'll often watch one on the bus or while eating lunch. And they are inspiring, especially if you're in a rut or you want ideas of where to go.

Others I watch that I've not seen mentioned here:
Dibs McCallum - East Anglia based photographer. Down to earth, not over-produced, good images.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Mrraverdibs

Stuart McMillan - Scotland-based, mostly landscapes. Another down to earth vlogger.
https://www.youtube.com/user/StuMcMillan

Richard LeFroy - Aussie, nicely produced videos but not waffle-y.
https://www.youtube.com/user/richlefroy

Brendan Van Son - Canadian travel and landscape photographer. Shoots all over the world including the odd trip to the UK. He does a variety of content including the business side of photography which you may or may not find interesting.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD-eN8B64fY

There are a ton of Landscape vloggers out there and it's increasing all the time. Just take a look at this Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LandscapePhotographyonYouTubeUK/

But just find the ones you like and subscribe to those. You don't have to watch them all.

Why do people complain about a well produced video? A video or film has to follow some sort of narrative/story from point A to B to C. Connecting the dots with walking/climbing/driving, talking to camera, "b-roll" makes it interesting.

And this is precisely where we differ - the A to B to C walking, driving, talking to their dogs etc. actually detracts from the overall message so much that I just can't bring myself to watch them

That some can explain what their aim is, what techniques and thought processes were involved and evolved, and also show the end results is great - but that's all I want to know

I've tried to watch some of these when they are chatting about their breakfast, parking, sleeping in the tent/car being tricky to get first light and I just don't care for waffle. My school teachers didn't do it, nor did my Uni lecturers, so my preferred learning style is like my own breakfast - free of waffle :D

Dave

And this is precisely where we differ - the A to B to C walking, driving, talking to their dogs etc. actually detracts from the overall message so much that I just can't bring myself to watch them

That some can explain what their aim is, what techniques and thought processes were involved and evolved, and also show the end results is great - but that's all I want to know

I've tried to watch some of these when they are chatting about their breakfast, parking, sleeping in the tent/car being tricky to get first light and I just don't care for waffle. My school teachers didn't do it, nor did my Uni lecturers, so my preferred learning style is like my own breakfast - free of waffle :D

Dave

There are times that some vloggers waffle too much for me. Some do way more talking that others as well. But the question is a) is it relevant and b) does it detract from what they are showing you?

I think you're confusing vloggers with teachers. Teachers have a fixed syllabus to cover and only X number of hours to do so and you need to pass the test/get the grade at the end. Vloggers have no syllabus, they don't have to do anything other than entertain you. You *might* learn something from watching but that's not the reason for watching a vlog.
A youtube tutorial on the other hand is a different thing. They are there for teaching purposes and so you'll get more direct videos with less waffle. Photography vlogs tend to be more about sharing the experience of photography rather than out-and-out teaching. Many vloggers would be rubbish at teaching or if asked to do a proper tutorial video, but with sharing their experience of shooting they can do that in a much more interesting and entertaining way.

If you want shorter vlogs, look at Dibs McCallum and Richard Lefroy.
If you don't like vlogs, don't watch them, stick to tutorial style videos.

Simon Baxter on YouTube. He takes the most stunning woodland photos and his videos are a joy to watch.

Reactions: 4wd
Feel compelled to point you in the direction of a little vlog by a chap called Owen Clarke. He’s posted a video on you tube called ‘once in a lifetime’. He’s taken an image of some stags in a misty woodland that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

View: https://youtu.be/rP9vVdnwOiw

I quite like Owen Clarke. He works hard on finding compositions in East Anglia. Another I like is Craig Roberts, but he seems to have finished with his e6Vlogs

Feel compelled to point you in the direction of a little vlog by a chap called Owen Clarke. He’s posted a video on you tube called ‘once in a lifetime’. He’s taken an image of some stags in a misty woodland that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

[size=2[url=[MEDIA=youtube]rP9vVdnwOiw[/MEDIA]
View]View: https://youtu.be/rP9vVdnwOiw]View
: https://youtu.be/rP9vVdnwOiw[/size][/URL]

That shot is superb. It would deserve to win a major competition

I'm not so much into landscape photography, but I have recently enjoyed the odd landscape vlog. And have bookmarked a few listed here, so thanks

I find on some the production is a little too good and bit contrived, and this makes it's a little awkward to watch because it feels less real. Possibly something strange for me to complain a bit, but it feels like more effort has gone into the production of the video than the photography.

I find on some the production is a little too good and bit contrived, and this makes it's a little awkward to watch because it feels less real. Possibly something strange for me to complain a bit, but it feels like more effort has gone into the production of the video than the photography.

I know what you mean, I don’t like all the making food or coffee type shots. I’m a videographer and photographer in my job and I find attempting to do both is detrimental on a shoot, fair play to those that make a good job of it but sometimes you think the pictures aren’t as good as they perhaps could’ve been

Stuart McGlennan has recently started a channel, I think he sometimes posts in the Landscape section here, nice down to earth lad and some top drawer images of the Lake District.

Stuart McGlennan has recently started a channel, I think he sometimes posts in the Landscape section here, nice down to earth lad and some top drawer images of the Lake District.
Cheers Jack I have recently yes, think i've done 5 so far trying to do them weekly - channel link is here:

Stuart McGlennon - YouTube channel

Might as well add my little channel into the mix. Try to post every 4-6 weeks and focus is on the imagery foremost and improving on the video production and story telling each time. Hope you enjoy

Might as well add my little channel into the mix. Try to post every 4-6 weeks and focus is on the imagery foremost and improving on the video production and story telling each time. Hope you enjoy

Thanks, really enjoyed watching your videos

Back