Landscape photography in the UK.. Must visits?

Ant

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
As it's my final 2 weeks now in uni, i'm hoping to get away just by myself, or with a few mates to just get away every now and then, i'm probably thinking every third weekend.

So what have i got.

Camera? Check!
Car? Check!
Tent? Check!

Locations.. Errr, not check.

Basically, i'm wondering where in the uk is worth visiting for some nice landscape photography? I'd prefer about a 4 hour drive-ish from liverpool way, maybe an hour more for somewhere really special.

I know the lakes is one of the must visits, seen so many good photos from the lakes. Just wondering where else is nice to go spend a weekend and hopefully get some photos to print for my bedroom.. The ones in there currently are getting a bit old.

Cheers.

Cheers.

I would say .Wales.. .its .got .the scenery a.nd .its not to far from Liverpool either

North West Highlands before the midges come out. Fantastic mountain/wilderness scenery on good days and dramatic coastal stuff on the poor days. :woot:

Hi,

I must admit I'm suprised you are asking this question... you're about 90 minutes from some of the best coastal/landscape scenery the UK has to offer...it's called North wales ;) Whilst Snowdonia is well known for its scenery many people don't realise the stunning coastal scenery Anglesey has to offer. The Lakes is about the same distance so you're definitely spoilt for choice

Simon

Got to try the lakes - head up past Ambleside and out towards Skelwirth bridge on the A593. At Skel' Bridge turn right onto the B5343 through Chapel Stile and out up to Dungeon Ghyl where there's a NT campsite. Got Scarfell and Scarfell pike within walking distance. Great area for togging – big, glacial valley that has its own microclimate –*and I'm told Jack's Rake, a classic hill scramble, is close by and that's supposed to be great for togging.

North west Scotland is amazing - from Glasgow northwards you've got Ranoch Moore moving into Glencoe and if you're feeing really adventurous you've got the beautiful Isle of Skye.

The Lakes is also stunning - In and around derwent in northern lakes is my usual locations.

But for sheer breathtaking scenery and getting opportunities to 'get away' from life. Isle of Skye has my vote.

I make another vote for Wales, and Northumberland, I was there for a week not so long ago took millions of pictures, not that I did it much justice with my togging lol and peaks district as well, snake pass etc.

The Peak District is well worth visiting, I go there quite often myself. Some lovely pubs too when you want some food and a pint.

Thanks for sll your suggestions. Looks like i'm right in the middle of the best places (y).

I've always ended overlooking north wales, as it's so close, and you forget about things on your doorstep. Looks like the cars getting some mileage on it this summer :)

Sorry, but I can't believe this post .. and the question about where to shoot in the UK :wacky:

Anywhere you go in the UK you're within 50 miles from the sea (but you're already much closer)! Anywhere you go in the UK you're within a few miles from a wonderful waterfall. Anywhere you go in the UK you're within walking distance to enough nature-life to be able to smell the chlorophyl!

If you're really stuck on ideas of where to go, and I am guessing that's because there are far too many rushing through your head, then drive down to Snowdonia, but make sure to avoid all motorways and primary roads.

Not sure if it's better than anywhere else but I love the North Norfolk coast and parts of the Suffolk coast.

northumbria is surprisingly nice, having moved here recently.
angel of the north
the coast line just south of the tyne
tynemouth, lighthouses and the monastery (big guns!)
also whitby is about an hour south on the coast.
travelling across the peaks eastward would be a good idea if wales isn't your cup of tea

Aye, another vote for the lakes and summits of Snowdonia, and the coastal scenery of Anglesey... awesome scenery at both locations. Neither are far from where you are either.

Not sure if it's better than anywhere else but I love the North Norfolk coast and parts of the Suffolk coast.

:plus1:

The Coast of East Anglia is very good alround but from Wells and Holkham in Norfolk round to Southwold, Thorpness and even down into Essex :)suspect:) has some fantastic scenery.

And having travelled to see relatives in Chester regularly it is about 4 ish hours away (dependant on the M6).

Have fun (y)

Devon has it all
Coast both sand and rocky cliffs to the moors Dartmoor and Exmoor part in Somerset
Also woods and rivers there is more then enough here for you to last a life
time

Agree, shame it took me 21 years to realise what was around me, but I am into it now and hopefully got plenty of years to discover/photograph all of Devon.

However, I still love Scotland big time, and The Lake District also.

Havn't visited Snowdonia, or any of whales for that matter, but will get round to it I'm sure.

My vote would be for the peak districts and I've only been there twice! You know when you get those times when you are in the car, fantastic scene presents itself and you think I wish I wasn't driving, I got that all the time when I was driving around the peaks.

Locations also vary depending on time of year but I can image the peak districts are nice all year round.

Western Scotland is a must. I spent a lot of time up there as a kid, my aunt and uncle live in Glenelg which is the other, less well known route onto Skye (if the ferry is still running?). Instead of driving straight to Kyle, turn left and climb the pass and meander down the glen to Glenelg, to the right there's Bernera Barracks (ruined) and the small car ferry over to Skye. Go left and follow the road to Eilanreach for some well-preserved Brochs, and carry on to the end of the road at Arnisdale. There's little more picturesque than a tiny Scottish fishing village, untouched by the tourist trade.

Over the car ferry you've got a long winding drive over the pass which has either got breathtaking views over to the Cuillins, or it's frequently shrouded in mist, either of which makes interesting shots.

I could carry on, but pretty much anywhere you go round that part of Scotland is very picturesque, can't go far wrong imo :)

The Peak District is well worth visiting, I go there quite often myself. Some lovely pubs too when you want some food and a pint.

(y) Take the Snake Pass though, rather than going via the motorways. If you don't see something worth photographing along that road, you may need to visit an optician :D

the waterfalls walk near ystradfellte in the brecon beacons, some of the best water i've seen in the uk.

If you want some ideas about Scotland this is a fantastic website

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

And also there are some fab views from the Clee Hills in Shropshire, loads of good pubs and campsites too and only a couple of hours from Liverpool.
Andy

Try Blea Tarn at the head of the Great Langdale valley. Need a still wind to get the reflection of the Langdales in the water. To me the best view in the lakes, but there again I still have a lot to see. A walk around Buttermere is another pleasure for great views.

If you want some ideas about Scotland this is a fantastic website

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

And also there are some fab views from the Clee Hills in Shropshire, loads of good pubs and campsites too and only a couple of hours from Liverpool.
Andy

Certainly is!! my local patch is that, though you do have to go off the beaten track a little in places, im not going to give away any locations now am i!!

Gower on the South Wales coast is stunning!! Ive had many productive sessions down there. Yorkshire dales is also a great place to visit, along with the yorkshire coast

wow, 4hrs from liverpool sucks in some incredible sites to spend hours and hours. The Peak district is a winner, plenty of good places to camp, amazing walks and stunning scenery. Castles and stately homes, caves and caverns, reservoirs and lakes, shivering mountains and hills for miles, valleys and passes. After you've worn your legs out you can find a great inn to sup some tasty Northern ales.

All these are only about 1 1/2 to 2hrs from Liverpool. Come to think of it, i have all this 20 minutes from my house and i think im gonna take a trek myself this weekend!

Thats very optimistic of google! Only if you drive at midnight I think!

How about the downs? Barrows/henges/etc? Avebury has to be worth a visit. Early morning with the mist around the stones is ace.

Back